Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. (5346 Views)

Christian Life Is Very Difficult / Without God, Your Life Is Empty For God Is Life / 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:42pm On Mar 26, 2016
Weah96:

Hahaha. Don't deceive yourself, nothing is talking to you. I can bet money.

I told you before that you sabi lie very well.

Nothing is not talking with me - it can't communicate .

Well , the Holy Spirit ministers - make revelations of the obscure , teaches , guides , offers solutions - to the people of God . The knowledge he provides is esoteric - you need to understand that .
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Weah96: 4:51pm On Mar 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Nothing is not talking with me - it can't communicate .

Well , the Holy Spirit ministers - make revelations of the obscure , teaches , guides , offers solutions - to the people of God . The knowledge he provides is esoteric - you need to understand that .

Did it teach you how to log into your Nairaland account and type rubbish, or did you teach yourself?

You're a stone cold liar, the truth cannot be found in your person. Let your 3 gods speak for themselves.

If you can create time, you should be able to open your mouth. Hahaha.

You remind me of that Elijah and Baal story, except your own god is Baal. All you do is run your mouth, day and night, talking talking talking.

Show me the magic or shut up. Be a man for once.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 4:57pm On Mar 26, 2016
Weah96:

Did it teach you how to log into your Nairaland account and type rubbish, or did you teach yourself?

You're a stone cold liar, the truth cannot be found in your person. Let your 3 gods speak for themselves.

If you can create time, you should be able to open your mouth. Hahaha.

You remind me of that Elijah and Baal story, except your own god is Baal. All you do is run your mouth, day and night, talking talking talking.

Show me the magic or shut up. Be a man for once.

Your existence is the "magic" . Your abilities as a human is the "magic" . Is it difficult to see that ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Weah96: 5:05pm On Mar 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Your existence is the "magic" . Your abilities as a human is the "magic" . Is it difficult to see that ?

Mad person. See what I mean? What happened to answering by fire again?

The Baal followers were more honest human beings than you. They even tried self flagellation, cutting their skin, in an attempt to bring out their magic.

Every honest human being understands the nature of the challenge. Magic must come out or you STFU.
If you don't have magic, STFU.

1 Like

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by analice107: 5:29pm On Mar 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:
Who saw what Kay17 tried doing ? The bioengineers did not understand how they created it - luck . So she circumlocutorily suggested that life emerged through luck .

Can we give her a round of applause smiley
Kprak Kprak, kpa kpa, Kprak, kprak

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Weah96: 6:10pm On Mar 26, 2016
All the scientists have to do now is inspire the microbe to write a book and share it with his friends.

"We don't want microbes to leave the lab after 7 pm. Microbes shouldn't eat sugary products. No mast(u)ration in microbe land. Microbes shouldn't kill other microbes."

If the designers could only speak microbees...

3 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by plaetton: 6:46pm On Mar 26, 2016
Weah96:
All the scientists have to do now is inspire the microbe to write a book and share it with his friends.

"We don't want microbes to leave the lab after 7 pm. Microbes shouldn't eat sugary products. No mast(u)ration in microbe land. Microbes shouldn't kill other microbes."

If the designers could only speak microbees...

Lol.

Let's hope that this lifeform evolves fast enough, so that it too can start paying tithe.
The economy is bad, dollar is scarce.

3 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by DrLazDevitan: 10:50pm On Mar 26, 2016
plaetton:
We atheists of the scientific bend have always argued that life , no matter how unique, no matter how simple or complex, is , at the most basic level, a chemical reaction or a long series of chemical reactions.

On the other side of the divide, the theists have always insisted that no matter how you combine chemicals, you can never get the breath of life because life, they insist, is a spiritual essence unconnected to chemical reactions. They claim that the breath of life is the special prerogative of the omni omni God.

The mystery of the origins of life in the universe is one that has defied simple scientific explanations.

But undeterred, science has, typical of its very nature, continued to ask and search , starting from positions of uncertainty to ever increasing positions of certainty.

Now, a new breakthrough is threatening to confirm the position that we have always held; that when the right chemical and environmental threshold is attained, anything is possible, including life.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-24/scientists-create-tiniest-life-form-yet-not-sure-what-it-is

The beginning of life is never the beginning of life!

If what you have seen is life in it nascency,then it is just a preview!
The continuous chain of Causality has provides no ends to the undue beginning of principalities occassion to substance.

Life is substance,the principal substance has no reflexive conduit to the material spike effect.
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Weah96: 11:03pm On Mar 26, 2016
DrLazDevitan:

The beginning of life is never the beginning of life!

If what you have seen is life in it nascency,then it is just a preview!
The continuous chain of Causality has provides no ends to the undue beginning of principalities occassion to substance.

Life is substance,the principal substance has no reflexive conduit to the material spike effect.

Translation. George Orwell must be turning over in his grave.
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Joshthefirst(m): 1:20am On Mar 27, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Nothing in that article points to this.

So this thread is basically untrue. And you're basically lying.
plaetton:

So, do you first of all agree that life has indeed been created in the lab?
If you do, then you agree that life is simply a fruit of a chemical reaction.
That's all that I am interested in highlighting here.
Now, whether such chemical reactions need an Intelligent supervision or can occur in nature without Intelligent supervision is a subject for another debate.

You aren't just lying Plaetton, but I've finally seen your true color. You are shallow. You saw this article on bloomberg and didn't even bother to look into details, but blatantly ran away to misrepresent original research in hopes of advertising and confirming your world view.

Scientists did not create life, they engineered a very simple life-form. Did they synthesize its genome from raw-materials? No. Did they design any aspect at all of the engineered organism's cell? No. They essentially did cut and join and removed non-essential genes from the genome of their raw material until they found a functional point.

Scientists engineer a life form and plaetton comes on nairaland to report that life has been created in the lab. Shame on you.

In their current work, Venter, along with project leader Clyde Hutchison at JCVI, set out to determine the minimal set of genes needed for life by stripping nonessential genes from Syn 1.0. They initially formed two teams, each with the same task: using all available genomic knowledge to design a bacterial chromosome with the hypothetical minimum genome. Both proposals were then synthesized and transplanted into 
M. capricolum to see whether either would produce a viable organism.

“The big news is we failed,” Venter says. “I was surprised.” Neither chromosome produced a living microbe. It’s clear, Venter says, that “our current knowledge of bio
logy is not sufficient to sit down and design a living organism and build it.”

[b]Venter and his colleagues had better success with trial and error. They divided Syn 1.0’s genome, with its 901 genes, into eight sections. To the beginning and end of each section they added identical DNA tags that made the pieces easy to reassemble. That allowed them to treat the sections as independent modules, removing each one in turn, deleting chunks of DNA, then reassembling the full genome and reinserting it into M. capricolum to see whether it produced a living cell. If the altered genome wasn’t viable, they knew they had cut out an essential gene that had to be restored. The researchers also assessed the necessity of numerous genes in the microbe by inserting foreign genetic material, called transposons, to disrupt their function.

All this enabled them to systematically whittle away genes that either had nonessential functions or duplicated the function of another gene. In the end, Venter says, his team built, designed, and tested “multiple hundreds” of constructs before settling on Syn 3.0, with a genome about half the size of Syn 1.0’s. (Syn 2.0 was an intermediate stage in this process, the first microbe with a genome smaller than that of M. genitalium, which with 525 genes has the fewest of any free-living natural organism.)[/b]

Once the whittling was complete, the researchers reordered the remaining genes, aligning ones that work in common pathways. The procedure tidied up the genome much as a computer compresses and re
organizes files on its hard drive to save disk space. This will likely make life much easier for synthetic biologists who will experiment with Syn 3.0 in the future, Voigt says.

Source

And I can no longer truly take you seriously, you, or any other parader that has come to this thread to pat your back.
I'm truly disappointed in you, and Kay. I know it may not mean anything to you, but I once held you in high esteem as someone who didn't talk falsehoods or misrepresent to promote his beliefs. But that has continued to change of recent, and this thread is the straw that has broken the camels back.
Are you even a scientist in any way? I seriously doubt.

menesheh:

Point of correction, I never meant that you are silly but that your capacity to process information is flawed. And still pretty hasty to conclude that it is false, therefore, there is no need to be happy for such a milestone reached in science.
cry

I weep for the way anti-theism has turned normal rational thinking folks into skewed paraders like this.

I have no time for derived mockers who know nothing about science as it seems.

4 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by plaetton: 10:08am On Mar 27, 2016
If engineering a new life form is different from creating a new life form, then I should be asking for a refund of all my English lessons paid for.

Basically, you are implying that in your universe, your God is simply a creator, a cosmic magician that pulls rabbits of out of a cosmic hat.

He is neither an author, designer, architect , engineer or programmer, just a magical creator who creates from cosmic nothing.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Joshthefirst(m): 10:12am On Mar 27, 2016
plaetton:
If engineering a new life form is different from creating a new life form, then I should be asking for a refund of all my English lessons paid for.
You shouldn't"t be saying anything other than an apology for misleading.

You came here and lied claiming life has been created in the lab. Apologize for your mistake.
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Joshthefirst(m): 10:14am On Mar 27, 2016
plaetton:

Basically, you are implying that in your universe, your God is simply a creator, a cosmic magician that pulls rabbits of out of a cosmic hat.

He is neither an author, designer, architect , engineer or programmer, just a magical creator who creates from cosmic nothing.
Don't try to make this about me and steer derail your own thread.

Your thread is dishonest. It should be put down
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by plaetton: 10:15am On Mar 27, 2016
Joshthefirst:

You came here and lied claiming life has been created in the lab. Apologize for your mistake.

My only apology is to myself for casting pearls(science) before the proverbial swine( religious nuts).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Joshthefirst(m): 10:17am On Mar 27, 2016
plaetton:

My only apology is to myself for casting pearls(science) before the proverbial swine( religious nuts).
And with this you have shown yourself to be indoctrinated, close-minded and too proud to admit your lies even in the face of evidence.

I'm no longer surprised anyway

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by ifenes(m): 10:18am On Mar 27, 2016
I believe man have been able to achieve many things the present human on this planet will find shocking if put out there. Over 8 billion people on this planet and most are deeply religious. The mindset of the earth's population determines what information will be given out. Even when people study science,they still hold their religious ideas strongly.

It is very possible for consciousness to be passed into a biologically created body. The creation of the internet was mocked at first but today it is nothing new. I will say maybe the next generation will embrace them much better.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by plaetton: 10:37am On Mar 27, 2016
ifenes:
I believe man have been able to achieve many things the present human on this planet will find shocking if put out there. Over 8 billion people on this planet and most are deeply religious. The mindset of the earth's population determines what information will be given out. Even when people study science,they still hold their religious ideas strongly.

It is very possible for consciousness to be passed into a biologically created body. The creation of the internet was mocked at first but today it is nothing new. I will say maybe the next generation will embrace them much better.

It's simply amazing how savvy children in this modern era are with computing devices.

It is as if consciousness gradually shifts or EVOLVES from one generation to the next.

It is religion that has tended to re.tard this gradual and natural evolution of consciousness.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by CoolUsername: 10:44am On Mar 27, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Nothing in that article points to this.

So this thread is basically untrue. And you're basically lying.

This is the sort of thing that some people do that makes me angry, this article points out that they worked on the M. Mycoides cell and to create Syn3.0, a synthetic cell that has a lower number of genes than any other bacterium found in the wild and can still support life.

The Guardian corroborates the story.

So does Medline.

Don't lie to protect your fragile beliefs.

1 Like

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by CoolUsername: 10:49am On Mar 27, 2016
Joshthefirst:

Wait, if an artist chisels a rock down to make a sculpture, then by your logic we can say that he didn't really create the sculpture, right?

1 Like

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by ifenes(m): 10:49am On Mar 27, 2016
plaetton:

It's simply amazing how savvy children in this modern era are with computing devices.

It is as if consciousness gradually shifts or EVOLVES from one generation to the next.

It is religion that has tended to re.tard this gradual and natural evolution of consciousness.

Exactly my thoughts and observations too. Kids learn on the I pad today,tomorrow they will think its best to install microchips or directly pass this subjects into the brain,hence less time for school and more time for practicals. Gone will be the days of 20 years in schools. The humans on the planet will be 5 times more capable than we are today and much less religious.

Evolution is definitely a gradual process. It can be painful sometimes for individuals who think ahead of others,only to be slowed down by Pastors and Imams who still control vast amount of the population.

1 Like

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:35am On Mar 27, 2016
plaetton:

So void did the pulling of rabbits from an empty hat

You should have said so na
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:37am On Mar 27, 2016
ifenes:

Exactly my thoughts and observations too. Kids learn on the I pad today,tomorrow they will think its best to install microchips or directly pass this subjects into the brain,hence less time for school and more time for practicals. Gone will be the days of 20 years in schools. The humans on the planet will be 5 times more capable than we are today and much less religious.

Evolution is definitely a gradual process. It can be painful sometimes for individuals who think ahead of others,only to be slowed down by Pastors and Imams who still control vast amount of the population.

Royal Jester is too early to tell jokes . This elusive control Pastors and Imans have over people , did the anunaki teach you that
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:40am On Mar 27, 2016
CoolUsername:

Wait, if an artist chisels a rock down to make a sculpture, then by your logic we can say that he didn't really create the sculpture, right?

Sharap ... there was no creation of life done . Stop writing gibberish and making use of wack analogies to prove your weak claims .
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 11:54am On Mar 27, 2016
ifenes:

You can't pass consciousness per se . The brain can only be "configured" for the body to attain self awareness . Even the emboldened text prove that you and plaetton know absolutely nothing about consciousness .

Plus there is no such thing as the evolution of consciousness - that's a quintessential evolution-of-the-gaps . Man can't even explain perfectly how consciousness works or what it is but somehow thinks evolution did it . undecided

1 Like

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:18pm On Mar 27, 2016
A scientist boasted to God that he could now create life from nothing. "Go on then"; said God. The scientist bent down and scooped up a handful of dirt....."Hold it!" Said God...."Create your own dirt."

cheesy cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Joshthefirst(m): 1:05pm On Mar 27, 2016
CoolUsername:

This is the sort of thing that some people do that makes me angry, this article points out that they worked on the M. Mycoides cell and to create Syn3.0, a synthetic cell that has a lower number of genes than any other bacterium found in the wild and can still support life.

The Guardian corroborates the story.

So does Medline.

Don't lie to protect your fragile beliefs.
You of all people should not speak foolishly. I posted the process of engineering of Syn3.0.

They simply chiselled out non-essential parts of the mycoides genome to create a least functional unit.

How does this equate to synthesizing life? The first part of the experiment where design was involved failed. It is clearly stated there.

CoolUsername:

This is a foolish analogy. An unhewn rock forming a sculpture is not the same as an already designed genome being cut down to a reduced functional unit. Call the experiment what it is. Don't be dishonest to promote your fragile belief.

Unfortunately I grow sick when I spend too much time discussing with charlatans.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Kay17: 2:37pm On Mar 27, 2016
Joshthefirst has a valid grouse with the OP, Plaetton expresses a unique perspective.

Someone asked if a car with lots of it's bits out was a car. A similar thread runs through whether a cell with 5000 is same with a cell with 450. It's a tough question though.

I don't think each part of car is a car. The tyre individually isn't a car. A windscreen isn't a car neither is a chassis. Your view might be reasonably different. You might think the fact all the parts need not be present for there to be a car. You can still have a car with only a chassis and tyres or chassis only.

Similarly is a cell without 2/3 of its genes still that same cell? If not, then there is an act of creation by reduction. A sculpture is an example of creation by reduction. The old material becomes an entirely different existence from its finished product.

Plaetton finds such to be the handiwork of bioengineering. They have in effect created or recreated life. While you might not agree ONLY you think the cell with reduced parts is still the same.
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by paschu: 7:58pm On Mar 27, 2016
plaetton:

Lol.

Let's hope that this lifeform evolves fast enough, so that it too can start paying tithe.
The economy is bad, dollar is scarce.

Bros, I seriously admire you - your knowledge, articulation and all. But I differ seriouslly when it comes to belief in personal God as opposed to atheism. One thing I know though is that what you (and your colleagues) do here these days is not new at all. Many theocratic leaders - both past and present - have had to lock horns with folks like you countlessly over the years. But one thing is clear - the belief in the existence of a personal God who created the entire universe has never been, and can never be rooted out of the collective consciousness of the human race. It can never happen.

Here is the thing: when in your logic you fail/refuse to acknowledge the existence of this God as clearly and LOGICALLY illustrated through the entire creation, you'll simply miss him entirely. You know why? Because never again will he make himself known to you except through those things you consider silly and outstandingly foolish. It won't be through the logic of nature and science anymore. And he does that to show you that even what you may consider his sillyness, is way smarter than ALL levels of human smartness put together.

And you know what else, the LAST thing this God will do is to explain himself to anyone - it matters nothing even if the entire universe depends on it. Your perception or zero perception of him makes no difference. He is God all by himself.

3 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Joshthefirst(m): 8:07pm On Mar 27, 2016
paschu:

And you know what else, the LAST thing this God will do is to explain himself to anyone - it matters nothing even if the entire universe depends on it. Your perception or zero perception of him makes no difference. He is God all by himself.
True talk.
Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by Weah96: 8:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
paschu:

[size=18pt]And you know what else, the LAST thing this God will do is to explain himself to anyone[/size]
-

Unless you're a Hebrew or white person living in the bronze age, then he may ask you to be his personal biographer.

2 Likes

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by plaetton: 8:29pm On Mar 27, 2016
paschu:

Bros, I seriously admire you - your knowledge, articulation and all. But I differ seriouslly when it comes to belief in personal God as opposed to atheism. One thing I know though is that what you (and your colleagues) do here these days is not new at all. Many theocratic leaders - both past and present - have had to lock horns with folks like you countlessly over the years. But one thing is clear - the belief in the existence of a personal God who created the entire universe has never been, and can never be rooted out of the collective consciousness of the human race. It can never happen.

Here is the thing: when in your logic you fail/refuse to acknowledge the existence of this God as clearly and LOGICALLY illustrated through the entire creation, you'll simply miss him entirely. You know why? Because never again will he make himself known to you except through those things you consider silly and outstandingly foolish. It won't be through the logic of nature and science anymore. And he does that to show you that even what you may consider his sillyness, is way smarter than ALL levels of human smartness put together.

My dear friend, thank you for your kind words and insight.

If God exists, I still think that those us of who question and seek understsnding of deep existential questions would be his favorites.

If God imbued us with a mind to think, then I think we owe him an obligation to use it, including questioning his existence and origins.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Finally, Life Is Synthesized In A Lab. by paschu: 8:31pm On Mar 27, 2016
Weah96:

Unless you're a Hebrew or white person living in the bronze age, then he may ask you to be his personal biographer.

Well, it's like you got me wrong entirely. When I said he won't explain himself to anyone, I was not talking about explaining his personality, preferences or artributes. What I mean is that he will never try to exonorate himself from your disdain, acusations or downright disregard. He will never try to justify or clear himself to you, me or anyone. You either seek to know him or you don't. What you think or say about him makes him no less The God.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

8 Important Observations For A Godly Worship As Christians / A UK Based RCCG Pastor Impregnates His Chorister / Why Nigerians Love Celebrating Christmas: Top 10 Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.