Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? (2345 Views)

How Can I Evict A Flatmate? / Two Nigerians In Dublin Fight Their Landlord Who Wanted To Evict Them (Video) / Our Landlord Wants To Evict Us While Our Rent Is Still Running. Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by nefertitiram: 12:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
I need help from lawyers and property experts.

I have a very useless tenant I'm fed up of. She fights with other tenants, insults my brothers, causes trouble on every occasion.

She's a top officer in LIRS and is just a pain in my life. She pays her rent on time, but I'd rather have peace in the house.

I recently increased the house rent and in the increase notice, I stipulated that I needed an acknowledgement copy returned. All the tenants did, except her.

I've decided to give her a 6 mths eviction notice. I'm anticipating that as the troublesome woman she is,she may refuse to leave.

What can i do?
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 27, 2016
lemme book space
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by ojnnaco(m): 12:21pm On Mar 27, 2016
OK... u already know that she MAY not leave .. yet.... u wants us to ...... I will get to u after easter
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by mymadam(m): 12:31pm On Mar 27, 2016
nefertitiram:
...I've decided to give her a 6 mths eviction notice. I'm anticipating that as the troublesome woman she is,she may refuse to leave. What can i do?

1. Did you stipulate in the Tenancy Agreement a reasonable standard behaviour you expect from your tenants? No? Why not?
2. "...she may refuse to leave?" Did she sign a proper Tenancy Agreement? Yes? If her rent is annual, then 6 months quit notice could be adequate.
3. It appears she lives alone. If so, are you or any of your brothers having a secret affair with her? If yes, be prepared to 'reap the fruit of your labour'!
4. You reserve the right to serve her the quit notice as explained above. If she refuses to quit, then get a lawyer to serve her the mandatory 7-day notice. Let the lawyer take over from here. Please note however that you may decide to use the services of a lawyer to serve her the original quit notice.

Enjoy your Easter if your tenant allows you to. Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Mar 27, 2016
nefertitiram:

I have a very useless tenant I'm fed up of. She fights with other tenants, insults my brothers, causes trouble on every occasion.

She's a top officer in LIRS and is just a pain in my life. She pays her rent on time, but I'd rather have peace in the house.

I recently increased the house rent and in the increase notice, I stipulated that I needed an acknowledgement copy returned. All the tenants did, except her.

I've decided to give her a 6 mths eviction notice. I'm anticipating that as the troublesome woman she is,she may refuse to leave.

What can i do?
tie contraption in red, with palm fruit leaves, and cowries ... With any other adjuncts u can think of, when she goes out, go tie it in front of her house and keep the calabash and cowries in front .... Hide somewhere and watch how she will use the window to gain aceess, park all her things and flee withing 30mins. It works like magic , I tell you.... LOL grin
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by nefertitiram: 2:28pm On Mar 27, 2016
mymadam:

1. Did you stipulate in the Tenancy Agreement a reasonable standard behaviour you expect from your tenants? No? Why not?
2. "...she may refuse to leave?" Did she sign a proper Tenancy Agreement? Yes? If her rent is annual, then 6 months quit notice could be adequate.
3. It appears she lives alone. If so, are you or any of your brothers having a secret affair with her? If yes, be prepared to 'reap the fruit of your labour'!
4. You reserve the right to serve her the quit notice as explained above. If she refuses to quit, then get a lawyer to serve her the mandatory 7-day notice. Let the lawyer take over from here. Please note however that you may decide to use the services of a lawyer to serve her the original quit notice.

Enjoy your Easter if your tenant allows you to. Good luck.

No 1, this is a vital point I will consider henceforth when renting out the property.

I'm laughing at No 3. She's not in our age category. Her attitude is so bad she threw her husband out in 2012, in the full glare of the public. Flung his things from the upstairs balcony, the guy left in shame and never returned. Now she's raising her two kids alone. Her arrogance is appalling, I can't understand why such a human being exists.

She has no respect for I and my brothers because we are younger than she is and we inherited the properties from our late parents. I won't be bothered if it's just us she has no respect for, but other tenants? Married men with families and respectable jobs? This is not a face me i slap you We are talking about here o! Blocks of flat in a good area. These men are top guns too in their profession. I keep having to wade in to solve their issues with her. Many times, it became police matter in Area F.

I just want peace. I'm tired

I'm married and I live in another apartment somewhere else. We are 20 tenants in two blocks in the same compound but it seems it's juts 4 people. The peace and quiet is from heaven.

I'm taking your advise and will serve her eviction notice through a lawyer.
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Itissettled3: 3:28pm On Apr 05, 2016
You are on course already. Six months notice is what is required by law but first did she sign Any tenancy agreement? What are the clauses In the agreement?

At the expiration of the 6 months, serve her a 7 days notice to quit. Worse case scenario is the matter ending in court.

You mentioned giving her a letter to increase her rent, was this before or after the quit notice?

You can pm me so that I can advice you further based on the facts. I know you from the other thread, you can verify me from Mo.
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by klassic(m): 6:30pm On Apr 05, 2016
contact a lawyer who knows how to use conventional and otherwise to get you result . simple. no need for long story.
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by nefertitiram: 4:24am On Apr 06, 2016
Itissettled3:
You are on course already. Six months notice is what is required by law but first did she sign Any tenancy agreement? What are the clauses In the agreement?

At the expiration of the 6 months, serve her a 7 days notice to quit. Worse case scenario is the matter ending in court.

You mentioned giving her a letter to increase her rent, was this before or after the quit notice?

You can pm me so that I can advice you further based on the facts. I know you from the other thread, you can verify me from Mo.

The letter of increase was to all tenants and they were advised to sign the acknowledgement copy within 7 days or it will be assumed they are not willing to renew the tenancy hence their apartment will be put up for rent upon expiry.

The rent was increased from 400k to 600k, because we did some major renovations.

Two tenants came back for renegotiation. One outrightly said he couldn't afford the increase because he was out of job. We reverted to the old rent on compassionate grounds.

Another said from 400k to 600k was too much, he can afford 500k. We did him a new notice and got his acknowledgement.

One tenant acknowledged and returned his copy. Like I said we have very reasonable people as tenants.

She did not come for negotiation neither did she acknowledge receipt. After the deadline elapsed, we issued her a quit notice in line with the content of the rent increase letter.

Only for my brother to tell me yday dat she dumped both letters in front of his apartment yday, unacknowledged.

So I asked him to do 2 new copies. Take one to her office, have her secretary sign received, and take another to her shop and have her sales attendant sign received.

We have decided that once her tenancy elapses and she does not move out, we will take the case to the office of the public defender and have all other tenants come in as witnesses against her.

I hope this is a good approach. I have pm'ed you
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by nefertitiram: 4:25am On Apr 06, 2016
klassic:
contact a lawyer who knows how to use conventional and otherwise to get you result . simple. no need for long story.

Lol! Bros, wetin be the otherwise?
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by klassic(m): 4:38am On Apr 06, 2016
nefertitiram:

Lol! Bros, wetin be the otherwise?

Boss leave story, just pm me . if you are interested. simple
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Ishilove: 1:21pm On Nov 04, 2017
nefertitiram:

The letter of increase was to all tenants and they were advised to sign the acknowledgement copy within 7 days or it will be assumed they are not willing to renew the tenancy hence their apartment will be put up for rent upon expiry.

The rent was increased from 400k to 600k, because we did some major renovations.

Two tenants came back for renegotiation. One outrightly said he couldn't afford the increase because he was out of job. We reverted to the old rent on compassionate grounds.

Another said from 400k to 600k was too much, he can afford 500k. We did him a new notice and got his acknowledgement.

One tenant acknowledged and returned his copy. Like I said we have very reasonable people as tenants.

She did not come for negotiation neither did she acknowledge receipt. After the deadline elapsed, we issued her a quit notice in line with the content of the rent increase letter.

Only for my brother to tell me yday dat she dumped both letters in front of his apartment yday, unacknowledged.

So I asked him to do 2 new copies. Take one to her office, have her secretary sign received, and take another to her shop and have her sales attendant sign received.

We have decided that once her tenancy elapses and she does not move out, we will take the case to the office of the public defender and have all other tenants come in as witnesses against her.

I hope this is a good approach. I have pm'ed you
So how did the whole issue pan out?
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by nefertitiram: 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:

So how did the whole issue pan out?

We resorted to prayer and fasting. By herself she jejeje packed out. Good riddance grin
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Ishilove: 1:38pm On Nov 04, 2017
nefertitiram:

We resorted to prayer and fasting. By herself she jejeje packed out. Good riddance grin
Off to torment some other unfortunate landlord, I'm sure grin
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by nefertitiram: 1:57pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:

This kind of tenant u will be praying that God should give them their own house and also give them wicked tenants to torment them. Mfm prayer point sef,!
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by mymadam(m): 2:45pm On Nov 04, 2017
Ishilove:

U sef! �

1 Like

Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Ishilove: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2017
nefertitiram:

This kind of tenant u will be praying that God should give them their own house and also give them wicked tenants to torment them. Mfm prayer point sef,!
Poetic justice grin grin

You see why I love MFM? cheesy
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by Ishilove: 2:47pm On Nov 04, 2017
mymadam:
U sef! �

*bats eyelashes*

What? tongue
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by BecomeALandLord(m): 3:32pm On Nov 04, 2017
Lol
Take it easy op
Since she pays her rent on time, and she's not a debtor I think that's the most important thing right here.

I have clients who has bad tenants, as in tenants that make trouble and they also don't pay rent.
Some are owing as much as 4yrs rent.
Yet they make trouble everywhere.

Dear op,
I think you should bear with her on the trouble issue most especially as she pays rent promptly.
It might sound funny but it's true, you might evict her but what gives u the assurance that u will get a good tenant that pays rent again?

Most tenants nowadays pay only for the first year and after it expires they don't pay again.

A bird in hand is worth 10 in the bush.

nefertitiram:

What can i do?
Re: How Do I Evict A Troublesome Tenant? by temi4fash(m): 7:01pm On Nov 04, 2017
We had one tenant didn't pay for 4 years.. the guy packed out in the middle of the night...

Tenant ish is a serious something. If a tenant does not sign the tenancy agreement is it a red flag..

How long can a tenant stay in house without signing it??

Cc itissettled3 klassic ishilove

(1) (Reply)

Cheap Two Units Of Decked 3 Bedroom In Egbeda Lagos / Nigeria: Fg, Estate Developers Sign Housing Deal / Secure Your Home, Property With ELECTRIC PERIMETER Fences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.