Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,769 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity (1251 Views)

Nairalanders Let Us Stop This Hate Enough Is Enough. / Let Us Stop Insulting Our President / HOW AWOLOWO HELPED IN CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY PER EXCELLENCE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 1:27pm On Mar 27, 2016
Nigerians...
LET US STOP CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY

It is quite funny and mischievous to the
intellectual folks when Nigerian mass media
celebrates some "pangolo" inventions in the
name of promoting our "Tekinologee".
Imagine...,
A Semi-illiterate announcing to the world that he
has built an Helicopter and a hungry-looking
Journalist, comes to his aid by announcing in
blogs and newspapers that - "NIGERIAN BOY
builds an helicopter, Check it out".
The uneducated inventor in question, would start
smiling sheepishly at the camera,vainfully hoping
that the Federal Government would provide him
with Materials to build more "Pangolo
helicopters" or perhaps confer on him a National
award or treat.
What a shame..?
An helicopter that can not even fly...
An helicopter that was built out of Grinding
machine metals and scraps!
Nigerians... This is mediocre!!.
I can't bring myself to believe all this shady and
fabricated innovations when an Ordinary Grade 3
Korean kid is building cool softwares.
Normal primary school kids in China are writing
mad codes..
Mind you, I am not saying there are no real
inventors or innovators ooo,
All I am clamouring for is that we should stop
celebrating Mediocre "teknologeekal"
announcements and encourage genuine
technological ideas and innovation...
May God bless the Real hands of Craftsmanship..
© glasshouseorbit..co.ke/2016/03/nigerians-let-us-stop-celebrating.html?m=1
# ColdTruth...

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by Proudlyngwa(m): 1:32pm On Mar 27, 2016
Actually most times ,it is not celebrating , but creating awareness for an innovative mind, who might not have had any formal training on what he designed.
Most of those kids you mentioned, might become professionals tomorrow, but might end up lacking innovation. this kids who build this things do so, without any firsthand knowledge on use of tools. they might know the HOW of what they are doing, but not the Why of what is being done, With this exposure , people can pick them up, sponsor them and help them achieve their dreams.
With this , I hope you will be encouraged to pick up a technically motivated guy on the street and turn him to the next Einstein.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by oloriooko(m): 1:41pm On Mar 27, 2016
OP the issue is not the way u painted it
If an illiterate mind can sit down, plan and build whatever with no formal training, i think the best thing to do is for our govt set up an academy where they can be trained tested and given further training in that direction.
Totally condemning them may be harsh and insensitive, no hard feelings, just saying

1 Like

Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 10:39pm On Mar 29, 2016
oloriooko:
OP the issue is not the way u painted it
If an illiterate mind can sit down, plan and build whatever with no formal training, i think the best thing to do is for our govt set up an academy where they can be trained tested and given further training in that direction.
Totally condemning them may be harsh and insensitive, no hard feelings, just saying

Errm....
You see,
I am not castigating creativity or innovation...
All I am saying is that If we as a Nation would genuinely celebrate an invention..., it shouldn't be a mediocre one borne of amateur intent and celeb-wanna-be
..We have to be functional in our approach, Dearest citizens.
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 10:42pm On Mar 29, 2016
Proudlyngwa:
Actually most times ,it is not celebrating , but creating awareness for an innovative mind, who might not have had any formal training on what he designed.
Most of those kids you mentioned, might become professionals tomorrow, but might end up lacking innovation. this kids who build this things do so, without any firsthand knowledge on use of tools. they might know the HOW of what they are doing, but not the Why of what is being done, With this exposure , people can pick them up, sponsor them and help them achieve their dreams.
With this , I hope you will be encouraged to pick up a technically motivated guy on the street and turn him to the next Einstein.

Good one....
but, u see, we've been celebrating and encouraging innovation since time immemorial...
Its just this present Generation of Mass Media that are not doing what they should do...
Encourage a promising display, Not a War-Movie wannabe
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 10:48pm On Mar 29, 2016
I've been offline for a few days now...
But, this pix might fire up our sense of originality...
The mediocrity in our innovations is the most considerable reason why the Western world isn't really cherishing our work.
We appreciate bubbles..

Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by demolinka(m): 11:07pm On Mar 29, 2016
I think it's the fact that we've been let down too often by our dysfunctional system, so much that we celebrate any feat of 'innovation' which proffers some measure of hope that we could be like the developed nations too - even if momentarily unrealistic.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by senior123: 11:11pm On Mar 29, 2016
IkembaCMD:

Errm....
You see,
I am not castigating creativity or innovation...
All I am saying is that If we as a Nation would genuinely celebrate an invention..., it shouldn't be a mediocre one borne of amateur intent and celeb-wanna-be
..We have to be functional in our approach, Dearest citizens.

That is so rude!!! Which one have u built? When u build a pencil, then you can speak.
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 11:12pm On Mar 29, 2016
demolinka:
I think it's the fact that we've been let down too often by our dysfunctional system, so much that we celebrate any feat of 'innovation' which proffers some measure of hope that we could be like the developed nations too - even if momentarily unrealistic.

That's a notable observation too...
Now, we are talking real
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 11:19pm On Mar 29, 2016
senior123:

That is so rude!!! Which one have u built? When u build a pencil, then you can speak.

This is like the 50 millionth time someone would ask me this funny question...
You see, we all have different callings and convictions....
Invention is not based on Machine and Tools alone..,
Invention could be of ideas, opinions, Writings and the Likes..,

And Mind you, about the Pencil of a thing,
Dat was a JET CLUB PROJECT when I was in Secondary school... I still have mine at home.

Infact,
Constructive Criticism itself is a remarkable invention...
Just read the article again.
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by senior123: 11:44pm On Mar 29, 2016
IkembaCMD:

This is like the 50 millionth time someone would ask me this funny question...
You see, we all have different callings and convictions....
Invention is not based on Machine and Tools alone..,
Invention could be of ideas, opinions, Writings and the Likes..,

And Mind you, about the Pencil of a thing,
Dat was a JET CLUB PROJECT when I was in Secondary school... I still have mine at home.

Infact,
Constructive Criticism itself is a remarkable invention...
Just read the article again.

Good for You; Look at you!!! The Intelligent Man who Invents Pencil In Jet Club. Now 40 and Jobless. The good days are gone!!! wink
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 11:48pm On Mar 29, 2016
senior123:

Good for You; Look at you!!! The Intelligent Man who Invents Pencil In Jet Club. Now 40 and Jobless. The good days are gone!!! wink

You argue and comment without Conviction.
Have you seen me before or Did you christen me to ascertain I am a 40 year old man...?
For God's sake, be objective.
For the record,
I am vibrant young Man who believes in Common sense.
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 29, 2016
Nigerians always taking mediocre for excellence...

1 Like

Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by senior123: 11:53pm On Mar 29, 2016
IkembaCMD:

You argue and comment without Conviction.
Have you seen me before or Did you christen me to ascertain I am a 40 year old man...?
For God's sake, be objective.
For the record,
I am vibrant young Man who believes in Common sense.

Oh really and I am a vibrant young woman.... wink now we can get married!!!
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 12:05am On Mar 30, 2016
senior123:

Oh really and I am a vibrant young woman.... wink now we can get married!!!

Hmmmm,
Funny you..
Just playing Devil's advocate all along..
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by onisol(m): 6:53am On Mar 30, 2016
Correct talk, OP
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by Histrings08(m): 6:58am On Mar 30, 2016
Given the enabling Avenue, some of dis people with pangolo innovation can do something far better than that... Our people are trying to promote it maybe it will get to d right people on time, that's just it
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by IkembaCMD(m): 3:16pm On Mar 30, 2016
Histrings08:
Given the enabling Avenue, some of dis people with pangolo innovation can do something far better than that... Our people are trying to promote it maybe it will get to d right people on time, that's just it

Okay...
Let us promote it only when it is promising.
Re: Nigerians...let Us Stop Celebrating Mediocrity by thesicilian: 3:41pm On Mar 30, 2016
senior123:

It always comes down to this. When you make an observation, you get attacked. That in itself, is the celebration of mediocrity the OP is talking about. He doesn't have to be a 'builder' to know that what someone else has built is not up to standard. He may be making his own waves in the field of medicine, banking, or entertainment; not everyone can be an engineer but we can all speak out to make the engineer's work better.
How can anyone ever get better if he's always praised, even for substandard work?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

FG Set To Increase Minimum Wage Soon--- SFG / 4 Years After The ill fated Dana Air 992 Plane Crash / PHOTOS: Archbishop Of Canterbury, Justin Welby Visits Buhari In London Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.