Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy (20274 Views)

10 Popular Yoruba Actors And Their Wives (Photos) / Yoruba Actors And Their Lovely Wives (Photos) / Top 14 Yoruba Actors You Never Knew Are Not Yoruba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by ayindejimmy(m): 11:31am On Mar 28, 2016
blame the directors for that.
most yoruba movies come without scripts .actors just use the initiatives.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by YabaLeftist: 11:35am On Mar 28, 2016
kimond101:
That is life.
Personally I prefer watching a yoruba movies to English movies
There are loads of very interesting Yoruba movies with great story line and also very stupid ones aswell

I doubt it, all they are good at portraying in their movies is black magic, aka juju.

5 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by mercyville: 11:36am On Mar 28, 2016
winniz:

Yoruba clown, continue switching monikers to spew trash. Which glory are you talking about? When you lots weren't part of the people that brought the glory to Nollywood.

Don't you know you are the glory chasers. Whereas Nollywood has always been accommodating to other tribes over the decades!
Winniz...if you don't want anybody to argue about Nollywood...IJAW,TAPA,HAUSA,IGBO,YORUBA,EDO,KANURI ETC(NIGERIA) again,call it Biafrawood and nobody would touch it with a stick....lol
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by Noneroone(m): 11:39am On Mar 28, 2016
2sexycom:
I said "I like..." I never said "Nigerians like..." spot the difference as your response to my context does not give a leeway for your perception.
who asked what u like?

Who asked your tribe?

U mentioned ur tribe to sound credible cos u know yoruba films end in lagos ibadan expressway. Whether u re Igbo or yoruba doesnt remove the fact that yoruba movies are trash and that Nollywood is an Igbo industry

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by kimond101: 11:41am On Mar 28, 2016
YabaLeftist:

I doubt it, all they are good at portraying in their movies is black magic, aka juju.

Cause that is the reality of the society we live in.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by fairheven: 11:49am On Mar 28, 2016
Raydos:
[s][/s]

well said.
we seriously need to domesticate a lot, that is one of the reasons we have failed especially in science.
how do we expect someone to learn subjects mathematics, physics, chemistry In a foreign language that is not a "first language" like English? it can't happen
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by 2sexycom(m): 11:49am On Mar 28, 2016
Noneroone:
who asked what u like?

Who asked your tribe?

U mentioned ur tribe to sound credible cos u know yoruba films end in lagos ibadan expressway. Whether u re Igbo or yoruba doesnt remove the fact that yoruba movies are trash and that Nollywood is an Igbo industry
you wan turn am to fight now abi? I am tired of getting banned cos of people like you cos I get so caustic, venomous and vile and the people involve end up calling mods to ban me. Abeg, just park for ur lane.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by winniz: 11:58am On Mar 28, 2016
mercyville:
Winniz...if you don't want anybody to argue about Nollywood...IJAW,TAPA,HAUSA,IGBO,YORUBA,EDO,KANURI ETC(NIGERIA) again,call it Biafrawood and nobody would touch it with a stick....lol

Igbos created and pioneered the industry and called it Nollywood while Hausa/Kanuri created theirs and called it Kanny wood. Yorubas should concentrate in growing their own Yorubawood movie industry.

4 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by sorepco(m): 11:59am On Mar 28, 2016
I saw the poster of themost stylish and i can say we r barking at the wrong dog. I think she is speaking of new nollywood as oppose to old or asaba nollywood.
The irony of this thingy is that tge yorubbas and edos dominate this new nollywood. Here in asaba they were also asking if they r not also stylish and why no one from asaba nolkywood was included!!
So my question is...can some1 publicly criticise themselves?

kelv09:
Heard of that somehow
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by seunt4ut(m): 12:08pm On Mar 28, 2016
kinda prefer Yoruba movie ,The english nigeria movies only promote Prostitution and fast lane lifestyle.
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by mercyville: 12:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
winniz:

Igbos created and pioneered the industry and called it Nollywood while Hausa/Kanuri created theirs and called it Kanny wood. Yorubas should concentrate in growing their own Yorubawood movie industry.
You dont want me to quote you with facts when you keep bouncing my quotes off cause you are a mod or close to a mod....lol.
You celebrated 20 years of Igbowood but Nollywood was coined by a foreigner in 2002 making it 14 years of Nollywood
YOU ARE A COWARD for bouncing off my facts...
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by mercyville: 12:21pm On Mar 28, 2016
winniz:

Is this true or not?

The origin of the term "Nollywood" remains
unclear; Jonathan Haynes traced the earliest
usage of the word to a 2002 article by Matt
Steinglass in The New York Times , where it was
used to describe Nigerian cinema . [2][3] The
term continue to be used in the media to refer
to the Nigerian film industry, with its definition
later believed to be a portmanteau of the words
"Nigeria" and " Hollywood ", the American major
film hub. [4][5][6][7]
Definition of which films are considered
Nollywood has always been a subject of debate.
Alex Eyengho defined Nollywood as "the totality
of activities taking place in the Nigerian film
industry, be it in English, Yoruba , Hausa, Igbo,
Itsekiri , Edo, Efik, Ijaw , Urhobo or any other of
the over 300 Nigerian languages ". He further
stated that "the historical trajectory of
Nollywood started since the pre and post
independent Nigeria, with the theatrical (stage)
and cinematic (celluloid )) efforts of the likes of
Chief Hubert Ogunde , Chief Amata, Baba Sala ,
Ade Love , Eddie Ugboma and a few others".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nollywood
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by sorepco(m): 12:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
U dont get the irony of this thing....she is talking about new nollywood. And guess who speaks english and dominates new nollywood...whose films are mostly in lagos!! So i think it should athing amongst us yorubbas

walexsy:
It probably cos lotta Yoruba movies storyline centres on tryna being funny....u don't see a lot of senses in most of them,except for some few scenes da will make u rotfl
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by steppin: 1:05pm On Mar 28, 2016
sheunsheun:
Lol, mk dem continue nah, y oda tribes owns d national cake tongue
You mean stealing the National cake?
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by winniz: 1:47pm On Mar 28, 2016
[s][/s]mercyville:
You dont want me to quote you with facts when you keep bouncing my quotes off cause you are a mod or close to a mod....lol.
You celebrated 20 years of Igbowood but Nollywood was coined by a foreigner in 2002 making it 14 years of Nollywood
YOU ARE A COWARD for bouncing off my facts... [s][/s]

Loser, you made no single point continue switching monikers, attache by force Yorubas has no single contribution to Nollywoods creation or its growth. Living in Bondage kick started today's Nollywood. Even Ramsey Nouah not long ago said so as well.

It's been 23 years since living in Bondage kick started Nollywood and the 1992 game changer is set for a massive reboot.

Entertainment/business mogul Charles Okpaleke of play Entertainment network, and award winning Nollywood start, Ramsey Nouah, are collaborating to remake Kenneth Nnebue 1992 classic.

The right to the movie have been purchased by the duo, and production is set to kick in 2016.

"Speaking in the project, Ramsey says " There is no way you will mention Nollywood without talking about living in Bondage. It was a kick-starter for the industry 1 work in today."

http://www.stelladimokokorkus.com/2015/10/ramsey-nouah-and-charles-okpaleke-join.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by seunique(m): 1:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
Na Their English Counterpart be Nolly.......Yoruba be wood grin
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by winniz: 2:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
[s][/s]mercyville:

Is this true or not?

The origin of the term "Nollywood" remains
unclear; Jonathan Haynes traced the earliest
usage of the word to a 2002 article by Matt
Steinglass in The New York Times , where it was
used to describe Nigerian cinema . [2][3] The
term continue to be used in the media to refer
to the Nigerian film industry, with its definition
later believed to be a portmanteau of the words
"Nigeria" and " Hollywood ", the American major
film hub. [4][5][6][7]
Definition of which films are considered
Nollywood has always been a subject of debate.
Alex Eyengho defined Nollywood as "the totality
of activities taking place in the Nigerian film
industry, be it in English, Yoruba , Hausa, Igbo,
Itsekiri , Edo, Efik, Ijaw , Urhobo or any other of
the over 300 Nigerian languages ". He further
stated that "the historical trajectory of
Nollywood started since the pre and post
independent Nigeria, with the theatrical (stage)
and cinematic (celluloid )) efforts of the likes of
Chief Hubert Ogunde , Chief Amata, Baba Sala ,
Ade Love , Eddie Ugboma and a few others".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nollywood
[s][/s]

Sore loser, even bringing up Wikipedia that you shameless lots have been editing to desperately attach to Nollywood as a source.
Nollywood were pioneered and created by Igbos but it has always accommodated other tribes.

2 Likes

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by mercyville: 8:26pm On Mar 28, 2016
winniz:

Loser, you made no single point continue switching monikers, attache by force Yorubas has no single contribution to Nollywoods creation or its growth. Living in Bondage kick started today's Nollywood. Even Ramsey Nouah not long ago said so as well.

This is the person MATT STEINGLASS that gave Nigerian Film Industry,NOLLYWOOD in 2002.
So it means Nollywood is 14 years,IGBOWOOD or BIAFRAWOOD was 20 years when you celebrated.NOLLYWOOD was pioneered by Hubert Ogunde,Eddy Ugboma and co.
Do you even know the meaning of pioneer?...lol
You must be an old man who seems to have lost touch with civility.Some people can be blindly stubborn.
They would keep repeating the same thing over and over again.
READ where we all got NOLLYWOOD that had sparked off a lot of debates:

Matt Steinglass Mon, 30 Sep 2002
15:27:55 -0700
Title: Nollywood.... the NY Times tells only
part of the story...
Having written one of those NY Times
stories, I'd like to respond. First, to coin
the term "Nollywood" (which I did not use;
that was the other story) does not imply
that the production and distribution
system in Nigeria is the same as that of
Hollywood; Bollywood, after all, also has a
different production and distribution
system from Hollywood, and in any case
the Hollywood system is itself in a state of
flux, and scarcely resembles the classic
studio system of the '40s. But it is
legitimate to use the shorthand term; one
does these things in order to make the
subject accessible or appealing to the
American reader. That said, one of the
difficulties in writing about the Nigerian
scene was the incredible fluidity of the
production and distribution system, which
would make it very difficult to grasp in a
year of research, let alone a month or 2
weeks, and even harder to describe in
1200 words.
https://www.mail-archive.com/african-cinema-conference@xc.org/msg00688.html
Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by winniz: 10:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
[s][/s]mercyville:
This is the person MATT STEINGLASS that gave Nigerian Film Industry,NOLLYWOOD in 2002.
So it means Nollywood is 14 years,IGBOWOOD or BIAFRAWOOD was 20 years when you celebrated.NOLLYWOOD was pioneered by Hubert Ogunde,Eddy Ugboma and co.
Do you even know the meaning of pioneer?...lol
You must be an old man who seems to have lost touch with civility.Some people can be blindly stubborn.
They would keep repeating the same thing over and over again.
READ where we all got NOLLYWOOD that had sparked off a lot of debates:

Matt Steinglass Mon, 30 Sep 2002
15:27:55 -0700
Title: Nollywood.... the NY Times tells only
part of the story...
Having written one of those NY Times
stories, I'd like to respond. First, to coin
the term "Nollywood" (which I did not use;
that was the other story) does not imply
that the production and distribution
system in Nigeria is the same as that of
Hollywood; Bollywood, after all, also has a
different production and distribution
system from Hollywood, and in any case
the Hollywood system is itself in a state of
flux, and scarcely resembles the classic
studio system of the '40s. But it is
legitimate to use the shorthand term; one
does these things in order to make the
subject accessible or appealing to the
American reader. That said, one of the
difficulties in writing about the Nigerian
scene was the incredible fluidity of the
production and distribution system, which
would make it very difficult to grasp in a
year of research, let alone a month or 2
weeks, and even harder to describe in
1200 words.
https://www.mail-archive.com/african-cinema-conference@xc.org/msg00688.html[s][/s]

Desperate Yoruba thief, you shameless losers are so desperate to abandon your dead Yorubawood movie industry you lots couldn't grow for decades to come and claim Nollywood you lots ain't part of!

It's been 23 years since living in Bondage kick started Nollywood and the 1992 game changer is set for a massive reboot.
"Speaking in the project Ramsey says there is no way you will mention Nollywood without talking about living in Bondage. It was a kick starter in the industry I work in today"
http://www.stelladimokokorkus.com/2015/10/ramsey-nouah-and-charles-okpaleke-join.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Nollywood Discriminate Against Yoruba Actors, They See Us As "Illiterates" Mercy by okwabayi(m): 3:17pm On Jul 04, 2018
I unapologetically see them as illiterates. Why don't they ever act English language films? It's very obvious na.
She can speak English does not mean she does it proficiently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Olakunle Churchill Bags Enugu Chieftaincy Title (Photos) / Picture Of Funke Akindele In Her Living Room, Stylishly Flaunting her *chest* / Ime Bishop Umoh Welcomes A Baby Girl [PICS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.