Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome (21978 Views)

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by skylowlow: 2:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
greatgod2012:
This is how my mum lost my sister's love till today. My sister still claim till today that she was able to end up with that monster called husband because of our mum's action that very day. Though, she claims to have forgiven her, but honestly, the bitterness is still very obvious.

Parenthood is not an easy task, we need wisdom and tact to raise these children. And the best way to get the best from our children is to come down to their levels, make them your friends and let them be free with you, that way, they will see their parents as their confidant.

Any parent whose child/ren cannot confide in, is not good parents.

Very touching.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by danemenike: 2:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
funny
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Raydos: 2:21pm On Mar 28, 2016
The Last Time I Offended My Parent.

They Scolded Me And Sent Me To Sambisa Forest For Holiday!

Omo No Be Small Thing oh!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by neonly: 2:21pm On Mar 28, 2016
Am a guy my dad Dat to me too when I was young anytime I had issue wit my bros he send me out bt unfortunately I was dis virgin by a marriage woman it still hurts me believe
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Fiwasayo(f): 2:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
Parenting isn't an easy task at all,it takes wisdom,patience and tolerance....not by making threats that won't come to pass,that child will just know that "shebi na to lock me out for like four hours cheesy them go soon come open door" before you know it,the so called child is mingling with all sorts of bad people in the neighborhood.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by neonly: 2:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
My own experience still hurts me
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by DaisyII: 2:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
My mom would pardon you but that must be after she has told you to go and meet your parents(this makes me laugh).Now,Dad would tell you to come in but know ye that your death awaits you at 3a.m.Lolzzzz cheesy
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by seunny4lif(m): 2:23pm On Mar 28, 2016
angry
You are not a Nigerian angry
It's common even within the AA and BB
Fiwasayo:

I'm not forming my dear,it's not good to use this method on someone,be it your kids,siblings,maid or spouse...' If you don't do this or that,don't come back to this house,that person may very well not go back to that house.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by ozi001: 2:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
My fada go be like cum take meat. Baba, as u dey stretch hand, na so d man dey take im koboko. The beating use to be a hit back to back. It wasn't fun back den once u make a mistake.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by eghuan1(m): 2:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Smellymouth:

grin cheesy

Reminds me Nixao from "the gods must be crazy"
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
my mama dey give me the slap wah dey wake me to default settings.. kai I can never forget that slap.. I go watch ball for the house opposite our own as I show back ehhj oooooh.. I just smell the banter.. the beating no get part 2

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by skylowlow: 2:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
Raydos:
The Last Time I Offended My Parent.

They Scolded Me And Sent Me To Sambisa Forest For Holiday!

Omo No Be Small Thing oh!

[img]http://1.bp..com/-ssrQhzQDMLI/UiKTquJQIOI/AAAAAAAABB8/2oOFuUqrtiQ/s1600/Madness.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:26pm On Mar 28, 2016
I am hearing this for the first time.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by SlimOpsy(m): 2:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
It was nothing but all a terrible experiences! I could remember vividly, though am still young to forget, i slept on the verander thrice, when i was 15 and so many! To me, it is not really good, parents of this new generation should kindly not embace this, though we kids do misbehave some times and look at our parent like kinni won fe se! What we they do
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by dacovajnr: 2:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
My own na b say make anybody come help you beg or else your beating just dey start
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by CivilzedTyger(m): 2:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
I remember the day I stole my mom's money to play Sega, I returned late and she disgraced me in a compound with not less than 50 people and sent me out in an empty stomach. That night the only thing I could think of was "suicide" I wanted to run into the road so that one of those big dangote trucks will run me over but I was afraid of the pain I'll feel. I wanted a pain free death and couldn't find any means to it. cheesy Guess that's the reason I'm alive today

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
Terrible experience $ to think that I was coming from Church ~ choir rehearsals. Step dad though, I doubt that my dad would do that to me. Slept at my friend's place, she was so mad. I caught a terrible cold that night that affected me for month cos I was waiting for three hours 9pm till 12 thinking he was kidding.

Just doesn't make sense, no parent should do that.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by SerialDigits(m): 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
The yoruba parents best method of punishment.... They blv it's the best approach to parenting and upbringing of their offsprings
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 28, 2016
greatgod2012:
This is how my mum lost my sister's love till today. My sister still claim till today that she was able to end up with that monster called husband because of our mum's action that very day. Though, she claims to have forgiven her, but honestly, the bitterness is still very obvious.

Parenthood is not an easy task, we need wisdom and tact to raise these children. And the best way to get the best from our children is to come down to their levels, make them your friends and let them be free with you, that way, they will see their parents as their confidant.

Any parent whose child/ren cannot confide in, is not good parents.

I don't like people using others to make their mistake look like others fault. I disagree with your 1st paragraph cos a similar issue played out with a friend.

I don't know her own story ooo but Parents action or not, as adults make ur decision and when u realise you made a mistake walk out and find a better life
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by freecocoa(f): 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
Our own punishment was more like "sit down there, you are not moving an inch"

Why would sane person chase a child out the house, let alone at night? Ha!
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Lemibare(m): 2:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
That's my dad's word. "get away!!!"
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
I fear my daddy, thats why i don't stay beyond 8:30 outside, buh am a very sturborn guy, if i say lets die today we will die
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by saintneo(m): 2:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Allosaurus: 2:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
HateU2:
My parents no dey fumble lyk that ooo.
My dad(a very strict man) won't talk, he will just wait till arwd 5a.m beat u wella and give u paanadol(u can imagine dat kind beating). Na only my mum will say 'Goan meet ur other parents ooo cox no be 'us' born u cheesy'. At last, she will beg nooni. She never beat me 4 once but my dad lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
You self, learn to keep your legs close.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 28, 2016
Allosaurus:

You self, learn to keep your legs close.
who tell u say I dey open am b4 undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Allosaurus: 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
HateU2:
who tell u say I dey open am b4 undecided undecided
Then why do you always come back home by midnight?
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by kevoh(m): 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Mprepz:

next term am sending you to a public school

This one worked on me back in Jss 1. After hearing this, my grades went from Obanikoro's to an Einstein grade.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
Allosaurus:

Then why do you always come back home by midnight?
Ewooo
*sighs*
Did I say smtin lyk dat bro undecided
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by adeodunsimilolu(f): 3:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
True. But my parents don't do the sleep-outside method.
Anytime i break a plate or something, mum's always like,' i will keep it and package it as a wedding gift for u.' but funny enough i am still the one who disposes them.
Nigeria parents lenu ku(get mouth die)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
kevoh:

This one worked on me back in Jss 1. After hearing this, my grades went from Obanikoro's to an Einstein grade.

no be you alone o
the next term I was 2nd in my class and best English student

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by roxanne3(f): 3:09pm On Mar 28, 2016
African parents are strict, but that hasn't stopped corruption from eating deep into the very fabric of the Nigerian populace. I won't beat my kids, I don't believe in spanking

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Okemmuo(m): 3:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Una get luck...my house is all bout the money....Disobey and go get ur skuul feez by ur sef...or monies needed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerians See Relocating Back To The Village As Failure / Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics! / How Supportive Was Your Significant Other While You Were Pregnant?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.