Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,391 members, 7,815,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome (21974 Views)

Nigerian Parents Should Stop This. / 13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by gynny(f): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
my mom used to do this when we were younger, my dad never tried it. Thank God for my sisters, we always had each others back to lie or support a lie, argue your case and if that does'nt work, stay outside with you. This always weakens my mom's threat, she cant send all 4 girls out of the house in one night.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by LionInZion: 3:28pm On Mar 28, 2016
My mum back then had these 3 golden rules 1. Never starve your child to punish him 2. Never send him away from home 3. Never chase him around to beat him. Her style was simple, she would feed you very well, make you forget you had erred, then in the night she would send you to her room to go and get her what's not there, in the process of finding it, she appeared suddenly behind you, close the door, with her cane in her hand..... And you can guess what would happen in the next few minutes. My good mum I hail you ma

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by ClassCaptain(m): 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2016
SerialDigits:
The yoruba parents best method of punishment.... They blv it's the best approach to parenting and upbringing of their offsprings

lol.

This is true...
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by ClassCaptain(m): 3:30pm On Mar 28, 2016
kevoh:

This one worked on me back in Jss 1. After hearing this, my grades went from Obanikoro's to an Einstein grade.

lmao..grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by lurlah2014(f): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
I remember my experience, then I just finished my WAEC and was able to work as a sales girl then gathered some money to set myself up as a recharge card seller, then one day my dad and my younger sis passed by my stand like he always do with his monitoring spirit, only for my mum to come back few minutes later that I should pack up that am here to do rubbish that my sis said that they saw me kissing a guy @ the corner of my stand #lol# what a story.
The fear of you will not sleep in this house and the beating of life I will get gave me a 2nd thought that I went to one of my oldest toaster to sleep, thank GOD he was not around but his friend and GF was around #my ear and eyes done suffer that night #lol

Thank GOD it's now a story #but I imagine if the brother was around what would have happened to my VIRGINITY slang #lol
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by olubenjazzy(m): 3:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
I have never slept outside before in my life for once. My parents are very disciplined, and my dad gat many of his strict policies back then but has never let me slept outside for once. He didnt just believe it's a way of making a child learn. He always talk about it with me and my siblings any time we did sometin stupid..his communication was very effective on us..... that'was why we are well brought up the way we are today...

Love him and my mum very well

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by harhormhidey(m): 3:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nigerian parents
My mom would tell me to go bak to where am coming from after coming late
Na she go lata con call me sai...Ayo shee ooo ni wa sun sinnu ile ni (ay wnt u come and sleep inside)
love ha die
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by gynny(f): 3:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
neonly:
My own experience still hurts me
Aww.. You should forgive your parents, they did'nt know better, but you do and that'll make you a great parent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by KingRex1(m): 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2016
You quiet, they shoutin.

Are you not the one am talking to?!!

You try explainin.

My friend shut up! Am talkin an you're talkin!!

You're like i thought u said i shud xplain.

If i hear another word from you again, i'll puncture ur eyes!! Now get out of here.

Naija parents eh. I must do my own to my kids sha.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by mildflame: 3:51pm On Mar 28, 2016
My OLD boy no de waste him energy one bit, the G will just get plenty of exercise books say 10 to 15 of it. All u got to do is to write" I am a good boy", on all of em and when ur padi dem de play for field while u de write the message go SINK in

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Ifedoyinmola(f): 3:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
angry why do they wait till midnight to beat us sef... I remember when my papa wan beat my sister,in the midnight o,she go knack face for wall as she was trying to run,na so face swell up like person wey bee sting for face,u see,my papa no knw how belt comot for hin hand,come and see begging and feeding that night,me sef enjoy small grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by culyomi(m): 4:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
Hmmmmm it's just crazy
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 4:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
adeodunsimilolu:
True. But my parents don't do the sleep-outside method.
Anytime i break a plate or something, mum's always like,' i will keep it and package it as a wedding gift for u.' but funny enough i am still the one who disposes them.
Nigeria parents lenu ku(get mouth die)

lol that's my mummy.buh if nah she break anything she no go talk
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Nobody: 4:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
petux:
the fear of nigeria parent is the beginning of wisdom.....back then, if i commit one grave offence then she wil tell me to go away from the house just to scare me. within 5 mins she will start disturbing u with calls saying where are you?!! wont you cme back to this house??!!
true talk...I don experience dis one many times
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Ugosample(m): 5:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
My mother was a tough woman, but she was reasonable. The punishment fits the crime.
And if the crime was a serious one ( like going to beat her friend's daughter up, lol) the kind beating you go get.....
Chai.

The point I am making is.... Let the punishment for the crime, and let your children know that there are consequences for bad behaviours. Simple

Many parents here don't do that. They just beat mindlessly.

Well sha

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Damicares(f): 5:38pm On Mar 28, 2016
My brother was sent out many times, my daddy was a very strict man, this happens mostly during the festive periods, when everybody go dey celebrate, mumsi go dey beg, everybody go dey beg. Me, I'm a good girl, was only sent out once. I no go anywhere o, me wey dey fear. After 1hr, e open door for me.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by menxer: 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
My mother instilled in us (my siblings) the habit of not staying out late without permission or reasonable excuse.

8pm was late; which was the closing time of the state Library then (our official excuse in case you happen to stay out) but using that excuse one must show what one learned or read. Hahahahaha

I would ever remember one night my elder Bros in his final year in university went for his department night out without informing anyone at home. We didn't know how to cover for him.

He came back around midnight, sneaked into bed. At about 4am mum was doing the checks again and there was this body on a bed that was previously empty.

we were woken by the thundering of cane on bare back.

Imagine being beaten to wakefulness from stupor.

Till date, as an independent adult, staying out late always rings alarm bell in my mind.

My father never laid his hand on any of us.

Mom, I miss you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by blank(f): 5:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
greatgod2012:
This is how my mum lost my sister's love till today. My sister still claim till today that she was able to end up with that monster called husband because of our mum's action that very day. Though, she claims to have forgiven her, but honestly, the bitterness is still very obvious.

Your mum is not at fault. it's your sister's reaction that placed her where she is. We have no control over other people's actions but we can control our reactions to such stimulus.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Ekugbeh(m): 7:00pm On Mar 28, 2016
popcykaylah:
Funny thing is na them go say don't come back to this house and you can't sleep in this house..the moment you decided to go and look for where else to sleep...na another war be that the next morning..the story will turn to..so you have started sleeping outside ..
very true.....
'Xo u couldn't even beg abi, u com go sleep 4 outside bah'. *All dose amebo would second*. 'Na oga na'
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by asiwaju87(m): 7:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
My momma's style of discipline...

You commit today, she will serve you your favourite meal the next two days to erase your mind off it, ghen ghen, behold! The fourth day, after eating at night , then you enter the ring with her where only the brave and strong will get out.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by jblessed(m): 8:37pm On Mar 28, 2016
I pray that God help we parent, to know the right way in handling our children. Being a parent is not easy at all, also most children can be very annoying to the extent u will be like God is this child really from me grin cheesy. I pray that God give us the wisdom to train them the right way. AMEN
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Zoar(m): 9:19pm On Mar 28, 2016
lurlah2014:
I remember my experience, then I just finished my WAEC and was able to work as a sales girl then gathered some money to set myself up as a recharge card seller, then one day my dad and my younger sis passed by my stand like he always do with his monitoring spirit, only for my mum to come back few minutes later that I should pack up that am here to do rubbish that my sis said that they saw me kissing a guy @ the corner of my stand #lol# what a story.
The fear of you will not sleep in this house and the beating of life I will get gave me a 2nd thought that I went to one of my oldest toaster to sleep, thank GOD he was not around but his friend and GF was around #my ear and eyes done suffer that night #lol

Thank GOD it's now a story #but I imagine if the brother was around what would have happened to my VIRGINITY slang #lol
Ok
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by Prince202020(m): 9:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
My parents can never send us out like that no matter what, they can't also starve us for any reason, but you must chop beating for the troubles you cause
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by jayriginal: 10:18pm On Mar 28, 2016
McCarlito:
No one punishes like Nigerian parents. It’s a fact. The fear of your parents is also a very good place for wisdom to start. When you have committed, your parents will call you by your full name (Smellymouth Lalasticlala Agarawu) and after a dialogue that is actually a monologue of them shouting rhetorical questions like; ”Am I your mate" at you, they will proceed to either flog you or hit you with anything from a spatula to slippers. God bless you if their weapon breaks on your body, because then you will be beaten for the loss of the weapon. Also, do not attempt self defense, you might destroy the weapon and like I said, that doesn’t help you. And do not try to run, they will throw things at you and  catch up with you. So, don’t do it.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3537451_nbxq4bypvf8rxp0v395gqijrt4o10lvdy5jf0qc7tiqehs1bapppnspmtfpvibzycp2yjeoftcv0hf6c1e0aiaw187h150nc_gif550466f623dad176d1dfb9592a8b67cc
I remember sweeping the house so early in the morning and doing it barefooted so that my mom’s leg won’t pick up a grain of sand. Even now my sister said she cleans her home “as if mom’s coming to visit”.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by ronaldbecky(m): 11:45pm On Mar 28, 2016
greatness22:
My mum be like; Great, were u go since morning? Oh, so u don turn big boy na abi, i go dey talk you go dey keep me quiet bah? Go back to were u dey come from.

Lol, i love my mum. She's my second God.
yeah..mum was like that...sure they truly care and love..best mum eva
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by fitinwell: 10:25am On Mar 29, 2016
My own experience as the first son.. No get na seasonal flim.. I no fit count.. How many times i sleeping outside, talkless of beating,.. Later on i was used to it... Till i became i big boy.. Now am 32years old.. grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by fitinwell: 10:25am On Mar 29, 2016
My own experience as the first son.. na seasonal flim.. I no fit count.. How many times i sleeping outside, talkless of beating,.. Later on i was used to it... Till i became i big boy.. Now am 32years old.. grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by datigbogirl: 12:15am On Mar 30, 2016
McCarlito:
No one punishes like Nigerian parents. It’s a fact. The fear of your parents is also a very good place for wisdom to start. When you have committed, your parents will call you by your full name (Smellymouth Lalasticlala Agarawu) and after a dialogue that is actually a monologue of them shouting rhetorical questions like; ”Am I your mate" at you, they will proceed to either flog you or hit you with anything from a spatula to slippers. God bless you if their weapon breaks on your body, because then you will be beaten for the loss of the weapon. Also, do not attempt self defense, you might destroy the weapon and like I said, that doesn’t help you. And do not try to run, they will throw things at you and  catch up with you. So, don’t do it.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3537451_nbxq4bypvf8rxp0v395gqijrt4o10lvdy5jf0qc7tiqehs1bapppnspmtfpvibzycp2yjeoftcv0hf6c1e0aiaw187h150nc_gif550466f623dad176d1dfb9592a8b67cc
I remember sweeping the house so early in the morning and doing it barefooted so that my mom’s leg won’t pick up a grain of sand. Even now my sister said she cleans her home “as if mom’s coming to visit”.

You can imagine that kinda fear even when your mother isn't there...same happens to me oh...d tin has turned me into a boyish man.
Re: Nigerian Parents And The "You Are Not Sleeping Here Tonight" Syndrome by viktohmarkz(m): 9:30am On Aug 07, 2016
My folks no be here,they would never send you out of the house oh,buh wetin you fit do.
My dad own be say make you no just misbehave, the least deh come with knock on your forehead that keeps you motionless for about 1hour30mins. #BlessedMemory

my mum took over from where he left it, just get her angry in the early hours of the day the beat go tight pass YOUNG JOHN own,after am she go pass you money make you go buy drugs for your self.
Buh you commit better offense she would just fill your plate with meat and fish,give you warm water to bath then tell you to wear a NOT TOO THICK cloth, by 3am alarm go ring wella, by morning she go come boil water make you take go bath.
my mum rep abeg

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos State Introduce Six-month Maternity Leave, 10 Days For Fathers / Why Do Nigerians See Relocating Back To The Village As Failure / Men In Marriage: How To Play The In-law Politics!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.