Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,891 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:41 PM

5 Benefits Of Online Courses - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Benefits Of Online Courses (18698 Views)

Top 5 Benefits Of Web-based Tutorials / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Benefits Of Online Courses by importexpert(m): 1:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
i have been receiving a tone of inquiry from students, friends and family about online courses and most precisely "National Open university of Nigeria (NOUN) and Islamic Online University (IOU). i will be discussing about 5 advantages of online courses.

When online courses began, many viewed them as a joke. Many people found them inferior compared to those offered in traditional institutions of learning. Due to this, many people shied away from them.

Over the years this notion has faded and now even world-renown colleges and universities are offering them. The number of people taking online courses has literary skyrocketed. The growth has largely been contributed to the benefits that the courses come with. Some of these benefits include:

Lower costs

While the tuition fees for some online courses are similar to those charged in traditional institutions, you save money in the long run when you enroll in an online class. Since you take online classes at the comfort of your home, you save money that you would have spent travelling to school. Also, with online classes you don't have to buy school supplies, rent a hostel or worry about meal plans.

Access to nontraditional courses

Institutions of learning mold students to be good employees. This means that you can't get courses that are designed to offer you life skills. With the coming of online universities, you can get almost any course that you want.

Some of the courses that you can get online that you can never find in traditional learning institutions include: guidelines on how to lose weight, guidelines on how to know your talents and make the most of them, and many others.

Flexibility

This is one of the most attractive features of online classes. Since the program is delivered to your computer, you can study from anywhere and at any time. While the courses offer you flexibility, for you to graduate and get a certificate you have to complete your module.

More time with family and friends

If you are a working parent and taking evening and weekend classes you understand the sacrifice that you have to make. You spend the entire day at work then spend the evenings and weekends in class. This means that you have little or no time with your loved ones.

With online classes you don't have to compromise relationships with family members. Once you are through with work, you can head home and spend time with your loved ones. After spending quality time you can now open your computer and study until late into the night.

Learn at your pace

Most of the courses (especially nontraditional ones) are designed in a way that you are the one who triggers the next topic. This means that if you don't have time to study, you can take some time off and study when you have time. This is a luxury that you can't get from a traditional mode of learning as your learning pace is determined by the lecturer.

Conclusion

Online courses come with many benefits. To enjoy the benefits take your time to research and identify a reputable site offering high quality courses. i wish you success.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by dominique(f): 1:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nice one but now credible are their certificates? I don't mind adding adding one or two extra qualification to my resume, can you recommend any?
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by importexpert(m): 4:46pm On Mar 28, 2016
dominique:
Nice one but now credible are their certificates? I don't mind adding adding one or two extra qualification to my resume, can you recommend any?

their certificates are gaining more recognition worldwide on a daily basis. a foreign company recently gave more emphasis on Nigerian graduates with online degrees because they felt they will be more conversant with computers. it is an easy way to add to your academic qualification. i will not be recommending any. just make a thorough research on anyone you want to enroll. i wish you success.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Nobody: 4:54pm On Mar 28, 2016
Worthless attempt if you can't access dollars
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Sunnycliff(m): 4:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nothing gladdens my heart like offline courses! Face to face interactions and mingling with friends of all shades and characters! The beauty of networking!

Though online courses are also very good but can't be compared to offline!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by rawtouch: 4:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nice one
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by DrObum(m): 4:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
k
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by wolextayo: 4:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
How exams will be done gat me thinking undecided
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by hamaworld(m): 4:56pm On Mar 28, 2016
D benefits is for ajebutter
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by SycophanticGoat: 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
Keneking:
Worthless attempt if you can't access dollars

Hahahahahaha! So are you indirectly saying that the useless mumuhammado mumuhary that you campaigned and voted for is a failure?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Nobody: 4:57pm On Mar 28, 2016
NOUN!!!

Those guys aren't that organized yet

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by dimsonu(m): 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Well.

My career kick started via Online courses totally free (YouTube and torrent things). I don't know how viable it is for certain subject but for IT, I can testify to its goodness. Even though I had to take real (offline) MSCE classes so as to get certified my colleagues never seem to believe I never had any formal classroom lecture in Networking.

So OP I concur

5 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Acidosis(m): 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
nice post
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by sibepoc(m): 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Got any site to recommend?
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2016
Lower costs?
I dont think so, by the time you get a tab on the amount of data you have exhausted i am very sure you will remember that you are Nigerian

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by soleexx(m): 4:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
International online course...#bestieverhad
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 28, 2016
Low cost?
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by rattlesnake(m): 5:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
Offline no see job na online go see

2 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by bolt000(m): 5:01pm On Mar 28, 2016
These are important points you outlined.

Very good, Graçias.
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by chrysso83(m): 5:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
Nothing compares to getting d info live from ur lecturer. U can ask questions when u dont understand. And the amount of data u will consume no be here.
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by yinkuscious(m): 5:02pm On Mar 28, 2016
dominique:
go to www.alison.com for free online course and their certificates are credible

1 Like

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by kulobyno: 5:03pm On Mar 28, 2016
Will comment later. Let me go and look for fuel first rt

1 Like

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Karlebolu(m): 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2016
How about the certificate? An average human being will take an offline certificate over an online one any day any time. I'm not saying it's not good to learn online, in fact I have a lot of stuffs I'm learning online even in the nearest future, I'll still learn stuffs online but a degree? angry Nah! Not advisable especially in Nigeria where employment is a Miracle.

So if you not disabled, I'd strongly advice you to apply for Jamb, seat for your postume and gain your admission jeje.

This online degree thingy does not really work in my country Nigeria.
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by kaysunnex: 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2016
I am going through a professional masters in environment management and petroleum technology right now in Nigeria and i must say that i hardly understand what those lecturers teach but recently i enrolled for massive online open courses and alas and i see myself as a full fledged professional already. The lecturers are world class and i will be getting a certificate once i finish in 3 weeks time which will add value to my cv... I give it up for online studies!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
importexpert:
i have been receiving a tone of inquiry from students, friends and family about online courses and most precisely "National Open university of Nigeria (NOUN) and Islamic Online University (IOU). i will be discussing about 5 advantages of online courses.

When online courses began, many viewed them as a joke. Many people found them inferior compared to those offered in traditional institutions of learning. Due to this, many people shied away from them.

Over the years this notion has faded and now even world-renown colleges and universities are offering them. The number of people taking online courses has literary skyrocketed. The growth has largely been contributed to the benefits that the courses come with. Some of these benefits include:

Lower costs

While the tuition fees for some online courses are similar to those charged in traditional institutions, you save money in the long run when you enroll in an online class. Since you take online classes at the comfort of your home, you save money that you would have spent travelling to school. Also, with online classes you don't have to buy school supplies, rent a hostel or worry about meal plans.

Access to nontraditional courses

Institutions of learning mold students to be good employees. This means that you can't get courses that are designed to offer you life skills. With the coming of online universities, you can get almost any course that you want.

Some of the courses that you can get online that you can never find in traditional learning institutions include: guidelines on how to lose weight, guidelines on how to know your talents and make the most of them, and many others.

Flexibility

This is one of the most attractive features of online classes. Since the program is delivered to your computer, you can study from anywhere and at any time. While the courses offer you flexibility, for you to graduate and get a certificate you have to complete your module.

More time with family and friends

If you are a working parent and taking evening and weekend classes you understand the sacrifice that you have to make. You spend the entire day at work then spend the evenings and weekends in class. This means that you have little or no time with your loved ones.

With online classes you don't have to compromise relationships with family members. Once you are through with work, you can head home and spend time with your loved ones. After spending quality time you can now open your computer and study until late into the night.

Learn at your pace

Most of the courses (especially nontraditional ones) are designed in a way that you are the one who triggers the next topic. This means that if you don't have time to study, you can take some time off and study when you have time. This is a luxury that you can't get from a traditional mode of learning as your learning pace is determined by the lecturer.

Conclusion

Online courses come with many benefits. To enjoy the benefits take your time to research and identify a reputable site offering high quality courses. i wish you success.

I quite agree wit on the benefits of th online program but my misgiven s dat technical/numerate courses lik Engineering, Physics nd Maths r either not offered or difficult to study dia because there s no interaction wit d lecturers, though Youtube can help to an extent.
Most companies in Nigeria stil view graduates of online programs wit as semi-graduates.
Seems Nigeria has nt fully integrated online proograms into d system.
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by ThreeGEEKS(m): 5:13pm On Mar 28, 2016
If you can study on your own with minimal motivation, then go for it. I know most people can't grin

2 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by bigtt76(f): 5:14pm On Mar 28, 2016
They're good. I can testify to that of University of Liverpool though. Their certificate does not bear Online Education but normal as the conventional school itself. You're even listed for convocation as normal students.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Ahmed3rdjuly: 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2016
I studied online with a foreign university, it was much more impactful than all my 5 years in engineering in Nigeria. It was research based n foolproof. No dubbing cos you use turnitin software.
Its more one on one than regular class room as there is no time constrain.
Having observed what is done in NOUN some modifications can make it better than regular classroom studies

5 Likes

Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by Ahmed3rdjuly: 5:27pm On Mar 28, 2016
Eaa247:

I quite agree wit on the benefits of th online program but my misgiven s dat technical/numerate courses lik Engineering, Physics nd Maths r either not offered or difficult to study dia because there s no interaction wit d lecturers, though Youtube can help to an extent.
Most companies in Nigeria stil view graduates of online programs wit as semi-graduates.
Seems Nigeria has nt fully integrated online proograms into d system.
True online studies cant handle practical courses as u hv mentioned but if many theoritical coursea can be pushed online n free up spaces for physical n practical course then the universities can be more impactful in teaching them. Its wud b a win win
Re: 5 Benefits Of Online Courses by importexpert(m): 5:48pm On Mar 28, 2016
lovely mods

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gold Winning Technovation World Pitch Girls Arrive Nigeria- Picture/Video / Strike: Some ASUU Demands Can’t Be Met Now, Says FG / Can A Science Student Study Arts Courses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.