Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Am I Alone? Pls Help. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I Alone? Pls Help. (2153 Views)

I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? / Am I Married To Him? / As A Family Man, Am I A Miser, Greedy Or Trying To Be Financially Smart? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I Alone? Pls Help. by dake40(m): 3:05pm On Mar 28, 2016
Am I the only one experiencing this?..

I'm a chronic Introvert who will hardly talk, all the few friends I have, know this like the back of their palms.

I Do Not eat foods prepared by someone else other than myself,my mother,my aunt and my siblings.... I can't explain why, but I do eat at few selected fast foods..

During my first year in the University, I used to have this friend, we were used to doing thing together, I thought we were compatible and I made him my best pal...

About a month to our exams(2nd semester 100l) this very guy came to me for help on accommodation which I agreed to.

I would do the cooking and he would wash the dishes.... One day, he cooked but I didn't eat(told him I had eaten).. It was around 11 pm and our main gate had been locked, no room to stroll out if atall, to get snacks to eat..

I quietly move troughwards my cupboard, to serve myself garri thinking the guy was asleep. Suddenly, I saw a thick shadow hovering over throughwards my presence, I lifted my face and behold, it was my friend.. To cut the story short, he left few days after.

Just of recent, one of my friends came to pay a short Visit. At exactly 7pm, I told him I will be off to school for Night class.

When I came back the Next day, I meet his girl friend and infact, she had prepared the breakfast (My foodstuff but I didn't give a damn ). She served me but I told her I wasn't hungry. She felt dejected and I could see that also in my friend's reaction.. To cut the story short. They both left that very Morning...I have tried his line but he won't pick...

Yesterday, my landlady served my with pounded yam, I happily accepted it but I disposed it away.......

Several cases like these had happened But I won't eat...

My first Girl friend left me because I failed to eat when she served me.

Is this Normal, what's wrong with me?.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by kowema(f): 3:10pm On Mar 28, 2016
Your's is Chronic!!!
You should try and consciously loosen up a bit, for the sake of your social future.

I work in a Sales environment and I noticed that it is the over meticulous customer, who checks, checks and checks the product intoto that usually comes back the next day with a problem.
Just loosen up

4 Likes

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by godfrey01(m): 3:12pm On Mar 28, 2016
Go consult the gods... Or has any body ever tried to poison you before that you are afraid to eat other people's foood... Better hungry never enter you may be thats why..
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by mackhunter77: 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2016
u need to open up a little.....u need people to help you through some difficulties...think of it as being stranded on a highway while it's raining super heavily and people keep offering this drenched u a lift yet u choose to wanna die in the rain than accepting an offer from good Samaritans..... u can change if u really want to....I was an introvert but nothing compared to what u exhibit
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by dake40(m): 3:35pm On Mar 28, 2016
godfrey01:
Go consult the gods... Or has any body ever tried to poison you before that you are afraid to eat other people's foood... Better hungry never enter you may be thats why..

Lol!...no amount of hunger can make me bow for someone else's food.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by dake40(m): 3:42pm On Mar 28, 2016
mackhunter77:
u need to open up a little.....u need people to help you through some difficulties...think of it as being stranded on a highway while it's raining super heavily and people keep offering this drenched u a lift yet u choose to wanna die in the rain than accepting an offer from good Samaritans..... u can change if u really want to....I was an introvert but nothing compared to what u exhibit
Thanks for your contribution!...

Taking a lift is never my problem I have had lucks with FOC rides....To eat is the problem, I am used to have the inner feeling that I may vomit if I eat foods cooked by other persons..Yet, I eat at some fast foods.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by SonicGlows(m): 3:47pm On Mar 28, 2016
You are not the only one,it's just an inborn thing,you really have to trust someone a 100% b4 getting close 2 them or eating their food.It cannot be totally explained,but the connection between you and your spirit,soul and body is totally unique that you can't trust just anyone.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by LecciGucci: 3:52pm On Mar 28, 2016
i was like that too when i was in school.
i think myn had to do with hygiene back then.
i hardly eat food prepared by som1 else apart from my relatives.
unless i was there and saw how d food was prepared n how foodstuffz were washed.
i hardly eat in restaurant.
i remember having issue with my roomate bcoz he opened d pot of soup while cooking and dropped the cover on d floor covering his dirty flipflop.
lodgemates criticized me dat im too sensitive...
anyways i'm beginning to loosen up now atleast i can eat in a clean restaurant

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by dacovajnr: 3:55pm On Mar 28, 2016
I'm like that Too but just that I don't eat out unless m eating @ my best friend's place
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by austine4real(m): 8:22pm On Mar 28, 2016
U need 100 dirty slaps to wake up 4rm ur chronc introvert dream.

Start roamin d streets, just kip roaming.visit ball houses, make friends wt course mates. I was 1ce introvert 10nk God 4my life nw

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Nobody: 10:36pm On Mar 28, 2016
I don't know if I should called that fixation in the psychological term but its something like that.

Work on your sub-consciousness because it controls your consciousness.

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Nyceguy92: 3:56am On Mar 29, 2016
[quote author=aaronson post=44202048]

There was this woman in my community who was obsessed with similar idiosyncrasy.
When she served you water with a cup, or food, she would scrub and scrub the cup and spoon after you left.
She hardly ate other peoples' food for fear it was contaminated.

As an adult in the university, you should know that such fears have no root.
Eat what others are eating; it won't kill you.
As for being introverted, try mixing g up with people you know...
Participate in discussions. They will make you more confident.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by greatgod2012(f): 4:25am On Mar 29, 2016
You are not alone, some people are like that, but you have to loosen up a bit, after all you're going to get married someday, ain't you going to eat foods prepared by your wife.

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Gigihabib(f): 9:37am On Mar 29, 2016
As someone rightly said it's an issue of trust and you might not know it but it's rooted in a past experience albeit a childhood one. Just like some of us cannot eat jollof rice without stew. I used to be like you too, no matter how hungry I was I would never eat other peoples food.Mine went a step further, if I was eating and you ate out of my food with my cutlery I would not eat the food again, if u take a sip out of my drink especially with my straw I would abandon it, I couldn't drink from another persons sachet of water etc.
The moment I accepted this was a serious problem my path to healing began. You just have to condition your mind in a gradual process. Start with people who have great hygiene & cooking skills because if you decide to break the jinx and the person you chose happens to be a bad cook you might never even want to eat cooked food for the rest of your life.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Hollyb(f): 12:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
it happened to me too, truout my stay in school hostel I never tasted any of my roommates food but they do eat mine, likewise I don't eat at local food vendors place it will be as if I want to eat poison, and this happened after I fell ill with typhoid and I nearly died, I don't eat out before then too but there is this friend that we eat each others food but since the doctor warned me about this I have never tried it again. I love my life I no wan die
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Nobody: 2:48pm On Mar 29, 2016
The food aspect is no big deal. That you patronize restaurants at all shows you aren't exceptionally weird. However if this is an offshoot of unjustifiable mistrust, then there is necessity for concern. It means that someone like you would also find it extremely difficult to delegate roles and engage in partnerships. And these are vital pillars of success. Do something about it quickly!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by pinkiberry(m): 4:12pm On Mar 29, 2016
dake40:

I'm a chronic Introvert who will hardly talk, all the few friends I have, know this like the back of their palms.

I Do Not eat foods prepared by someone else other than myself,my mother,my aunt and my siblings.... I can't explain why, but I do eat at few selected fast foods..

During my first year in the University, I used to have this friend, we were used to doing thing together, I thought we were compatible and I made him my best pal...

About a month to our exams(2nd semester 100l) this very guy came to me for help on accommodation which I agreed to.

I would do the cooking and he would wash the dishes.... One day, he cooked but I didn't eat(told him I had eaten).. It was around 11 pm and our main gate had been locked, no room to stroll out if atall, to get snacks to eat..

I quietly move troughwards my cupboard, to serve myself garri thinking the guy was asleep. Suddenly, I saw a thick shadow hovering over throughwards my presence, I lifted my face and behold, it was my friend.. To cut the story short, he left few days after.

Just of recent, one of my friends came to pay a short Visit. At exactly 7pm, I told him I will be off to school for Night class.

When I came back the Next day, I meet his girl friend and infact, she had prepared the breakfast (My foodstuff but I didn't give a damn ). She served me but I told her I wasn't hungry. She felt dejected and I could see that also in my friend's reaction.. To cut the story short. They both left that very Morning...I have tried his line but he won't pick...

Yesterday, my landlady served my with pounded yam, I happily accepted it but I disposed it away.......

yes it arnt good to eat anyhow but start by eating guys food den u gradually move to eating girls own.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by GoldenJAT(m): 4:25pm On Mar 29, 2016
I had same problem as u poster, I hardly eat food nt prepared by me, if I shud force myself 2,i may likely throw up.... Ova d yrs tho.. Av learned 2 loosen up myself... Tho still selective, I put in evry effort 2 atleast eat a sizeable part of the food, especially wen its done out of goodwill... I cn relate 2 wat u av said perfectly.. Bt bro.. U gotta try.

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Pidggin(f): 4:54pm On Mar 29, 2016
Nawao u sure say u no bi alien? What has being an introvert got to do with eating food from people? Your problem is that you are not trustful of people.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Dahveydson(m): 5:27pm On Mar 29, 2016
You have trust issues and I suspect this was inculcated into you by your family, most especially your mother.

I sincerely don't see how this relates to being an introvert, since you could afford to have had a girlfriend.

Anyway, like others have said. Try to loosen up. Maybe you should try visiting eatries/restuarants and eating their food. Know that there's no harm in eating food made by others and nobody is out to harm you, it's all in your mind.

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Richy4(m): 11:21pm On Mar 29, 2016
Op, Call your friend and sit him down...... Explain to him that u have a problem, that only good friends can help.....

>>>Explain to him that u have been an introvert since the foundation of the earth and that u need help

>>>Explain that because you have identified that u have problem, and wants to solve it, that was the reason u agreed to live with him

>>>Tell him that u do not it food prepared by another person, that was why u have not eaten anything prepared by him
>>>Tell him u do not have friends that he is the only one u got and he should not give up on u because of that...
>>>Tell him that u are his friend and u do not expect him to tell this to anyone....
>>>Finally ask how he can help you to over come this or possibly manage it....

If he is a good guy, he will know what to say or do because u have opened up to him.. and he will not be angry any time your evil spirit of rejecting sumptuous meals start manifesting....
Your parents should have sent you to boarding school.... All these problem would have been a thing of the past

2 Likes

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by dake40(m): 12:44pm On May 04, 2016
Richy4:
Op, Call your friend and sit him down...... Explain to him that u have a problem, that only good friends can help.....

>>>Explain to him that u have been an introvert since the foundation of the earth and that u need help

>>>Explain that because you have identified that u have problem, and wants to solve it, that was the reason u agreed to live with him

>>>Tell him that u do not it food prepared by another person, that was why u have not eaten anything prepared by him
>>>Tell him u do not have friends that he is the only one u got and he should not give up on u because of that...
>>>Tell him that u are his friend and u do not expect him to tell this to anyone....
>>>Finally ask how he can help you to over come this or possibly manage it....

If he is a good guy, he will know what to say or do because u have opened up to him.. and he will not be angry any time your evil spirit of rejecting sumptuous meals start manifesting....
Your parents should have sent you to boarding school.... All these problem would have been a thing of the past

Thanks for your concern

1 Like

Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Meringe(m): 2:36pm On May 04, 2016
dake40:

Bros, you are not alone. My own case is that when i go to my siblings house, i don't eat their food. But what i do is that i explain to person concerned that i have eating issues.
Before the event, explain and seek their understanding.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by dake40(m): 2:49pm On May 04, 2016
Meringe:

Bros, you are not alone. My own case is that when i go to my siblings house, i don't eat their food. But what i do is that i explain to person concerned that i have eating issues.
Before the event, explain and seek their understanding.

It helps me atimes, but frequent occurrence brings about stories that touch.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by focus7: 4:19pm On May 04, 2016
Your case need TB Joshua attention.
Re: Am I Alone? Pls Help. by Nobody: 1:48am On May 05, 2016
dake40:

When you are hungry and broke you will eat.

(1) (Reply)

Here's What The Kid From 'problem Child' Looks Like Now / See The Photos Of A Little Girl Striking A “disturbing” Pose That Is Going Viral / Basic Military Training Prospective Husbands MUST Undergo Before Marriage (vid)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.