Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,305 members, 7,811,901 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? (26528 Views)

Am I Overreacting? / I Am Beginning To Hate My Only Son / Am I Overreacting Or Is It Normal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Nobody: 11:54am On Mar 24, 2018
Hello everyone.

I come from a very overprotective and irrational family. I just turned 30, I’m gainfully employed and doing so well in my career.

However, my social life is suffering. Most times I want to spend weekends with friends, or just hang out with colleagues after work, but by 7:00 I’ll already have over 15 calls from my parents asking if I’m on my way home. Yeah, I live with my parents.

Presently, I’ve been searching for an apartment so I would move out of their house. I need my freedom and independence. I feel like I can’t breathe!

Even weekends, when I decide to go out and chill with friends, they ask all manner of questions “who are you doing with, where are you going to, hope you’ll be back before 5”. Seriously! I’m 30 years old! And they’ll be the ones asking why I haven’t brought a husband. Where will I find him? In my office? Or in my bedroom?

The last straw was last week. My best friend lost her mum. When I told my own mum, her response was “oh she has finally died? Ehn, shey she’s been sick. Why do you now want to spend the weekend with her? For what”

I was furious, but I didn’t say a word so I won’t regret anything. How would she feel if her husband died and someone said “oh he’s finally dead?” Even my dad doesn’t help matters! How insensitive could people be?! They seem to forget death is inevitable. And anyone can go at anytime.

I’ve made up my mind to move out this month. I love them, I wish them well, but I can’t do all of this madness with them. I’m done being controlled and told what to do and what not to do. I’m not a kid. Most of my mates have more than 2 children.

I love them, but I’m done!

139 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by sinaj(f): 11:59am On Mar 24, 2018
Thats a typical naija parent for u grin

You would av moved out a long time ago since u okay financially.

160 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Mar 24, 2018
sinaj:
Thats a typical naija parent for u grin

You would av moved out a long time ago since u okay financially.

I’m expecting a lengthy speech from my mum... “what will people say? A single unmarried woman living alone... you’ll chase men away”

What will be, will be. But I’m done.

97 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by sinaj(f): 12:12pm On Mar 24, 2018
Desirae:

I’m expecting a lengthy speech from my mum... “what will people say? A single unmarried woman living alone... you’ll chase men away”

At least u'll have ur sanity back nd will have the chance to meet people nd hang out too.
Parents drive their children to depression atimes without knowing that.

133 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by UjuJoan2: 12:14pm On Mar 24, 2018
I think you've over stayed sef. Not because of your parent's attitude, but because of your age and level. Nobody should be living with her parents at your age.

127 Likes 10 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by OhGeeBee: 12:25pm On Mar 24, 2018
Sometimes we do some unpleasant things that we don't know it's affecting another folk negatively and until our attention is called to it. We won't know what we've done.

You should have called their attention to it. Tell them how you feel and how it has been hurting you.

To them you're still that 5yrs old little girl.

100 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by daveP(m): 12:42pm On Mar 24, 2018
I agree that this is a disturbing trend these last decades... And these parents use the eyes they used to see you as their cutey Lil boy or girl of childhood and it's wrong.

Sometimes telling them you're not that cutey Lil kid again consistently would make them cautious. Say it in the presence of their visitors as well and watch how they would get cautious. Do it in public also.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by enabledgoddess(f): 1:28pm On Mar 24, 2018
You are not overreacting, you are an adult! I could only imagine your pains at 30 , yet you are still being treated like a kid. Get your own place if you can, or remain with them and stood on your grounds. Go out and come back whenever you like , go to places you like and do your things. They will only shout, get surprised , get used to it and keep quiet.

Nigerian parents no be am everything about them is done at the extreme.

98 Likes 5 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Nobody: 4:18pm On Mar 24, 2018
Walk away.

You do not owe anyone the right to abuse you, blood relation or not. If you have clearly articulated your limits and the consequences for transgressing your person to them, and they still break those rules, get away and stay away. Cut all forms of communication with them. Move far away. i dont mind if you move countries for your sanity. Do not feel guilty for this. You owe your spirit some peace and tranquil.

Most african children's claimed love and loyalty for aged parents is just stockholm syndrome. They still remember how dey were forced to be loyal by beating and still have this fear of challenging their parents. Look at me i was forced to marry a girl from Anambra cos im from anambra.

My parents fought my wish of marrying a kaduna cute humble girl then an imo cute humble girl cos of arcaic tribalism and selfishness on thier part, which was more important to them than my happiness. They said over thier deadbody. Now, i started looking for thier choice and settled down with the supposed anambra chic. Alas! It was one issue or the other till i left the marriage now they are absorbing themselves of the blame. Why didnt you look well, cant you know what is right? You can imagine. I regret not listening to my spirit just to obey them and be a good son which i'm not now!

They gave birth to you fine but you arent owing them in any form. Pls stay away for Narccisstic parents they cause more harm than good. Love them because they are your parents but love them from afar! Say NO to helicopter parents!!

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Stallion93(m): 8:22pm On Mar 24, 2018
Nigerian parents are psychopaths, they don't reason normally. My advice, get a place as soon as possible don't even think about it, you'll thank me later, perhaps invite me over grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Wagasigiungu(m): 8:58pm On Mar 24, 2018
Desirae:
Hello everyone.

I come from a very overprotective and irrational family. I just turned 30, I’m gainfully employed and doing so well in my career.

However, my social life is suffering. Most times I want to spend weekends with friends, or just hang out with colleagues after work, but by 7:00 I’ll already have over 15 calls from my parents asking if I’m on my way home. Yeah, I live with my parents.

Presently, I’ve been searching for an apartment so I would move out of their house. I need my freedom and independence. I feel like I can’t breathe!

Even weekends, when I decide to go out and chill with friends, they ask all manner of questions “who are you doing with, where are you going to, hope you’ll be back before 5”. Seriously! I’m 30 years old! And they’ll be the ones asking why I haven’t brought a husband. Where will I find him? In my office? Or in my bedroom?

The last straw was last week. My best friend lost her mum. When I told my own mum, her response was “oh she has finally died? Ehn, shey she’s been sick. Why do you now want to spend the weekend with her? For what”

I was furious, but I didn’t say a word so I won’t regret anything. How would she feel if her husband died and someone said “oh he’s finally dead?” Even my dad doesn’t help matters! How insensitive could people be?! They seem to forget death is inevitable. And anyone can go at anytime.

I’ve made up my mind to move out this month. I love them, I wish them well, but I can’t do all of this madness with them. I’m done being controlled and told what to do and what not to do. I’m not a kid. Most of my mates have more than 2 children.

I love them, but I’m done!

Orisirisi something!!! Wonders shall never end. My people say who get cap no get head and who get head no get cap!!! Pls OP desist from using that word- despise- on your parents. There are literally millions of people desperately wishing they could have the love, attention and care (albeit suffocating according to you) of their parents, but alas, this can never be!!!!

Some don't even know their parents, some have lost theirs to the cold hands of death, some were never shown such love by their parents. The list is endless.

What am i driving at- appreciate what you have and look for a nice way to let them know how you feel. They obviously want the best and are looking out for you. How would you feel if you become a parent in future and your kids say such things about you?

[Addition] How would you feel if your future husband you love so much stays out very late into the night and you voice out your concerns for his late nights (out of love and care of course), but he sees it as you nagging and suffocating him with your actions (note that a spouse's love is very very minimal compared to that of parents IMO)

You are a very lucky person, you just don't realize it yet. As humans, we never appreciate what we have until we loose it (i pray this isn't your portion though)

A word, they say is enough for the wise!!!

123 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by twosquare(m): 9:05pm On Mar 24, 2018
Desirae:

It's kind of funny at the bolded in this 21st century. What is expected before? Stay with them till someone comes to pick you? Since you have a job, get yourself an apartment like others before me said. You are 30 years old. My fiancée is just minus 2, doing her own business, and she already got her own apartment living alone.

I couldn't agree more with Stallion93 and davep...I don't know what went wrong. Maybe you haven't noticed, if you look at our parents, they were given a free hand by our grand/great-grandparents. Most of them. They may not be literate, but they know that when a child has reached a certain age in their twenties, it is time to be independent, and it is no big deal. It is ironic that it is the supposed educated/literate ones who are messing up with parenting. I still don't understand. Desirae, you just have to free yourself o... No one would do that for you. Naija parents of their generation love to keep children under rather than set free like those before them did.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Yankee101: 5:39am On Mar 25, 2018
Your fault totally.

Still living with them at 30.

Simple.

Move out. Familiarity breeds contempt. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by MrJanuzaj: 5:41am On Mar 25, 2018
Hmmn

1 Like

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by cana882(m): 5:42am On Mar 25, 2018
I support you. Move...

This is how they'll try to stop you but don't give up

27 Likes

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Celepope: 5:42am On Mar 25, 2018
So many people are suffering this same fate as yours.The aftermath is mentally wrecking.Even in western countries like America and UK where there is high level of freedom,Nigerian parents still want to dictate for their children.I went through same from my mum.When I finally left my parents home at my early twenties after graduating from college,I became a loosed canon.Any given opportunity I have with members of the opposite sex, I will want to make sure I get them down.I found it hard to settle with a girl because I was always searching for a lady whom my mum won't find any fault in.Up till now, me being in my mid thirties and with a good career,I still can't find that girl all because I want to please my mum.At 30 OP u stayed too long with them hopefully your life don't get screwed just as others are because of the draconian nature of Nigerian parents.May God help u in this step you are about to take.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by emmasege: 5:43am On Mar 25, 2018
Trust me, you need not stay till late evening before you meet a decent and responsible man. Despite your parents' overprotective attitude, you still do manage to go to work, attend social gatherings in daytime. Those will suffice for a beautiful girl to find a good man.

Your mum's reaction towards the demise of your friend's mum is most insensitive but you still need to be careful, lest you sin against God through them. Your prosperity and longevity in life are hinged on the Biblical command of honouring/respecting your parents.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Vince77(m): 5:44am On Mar 25, 2018
You told us the problem and also gave us the decision you have taken. I guess you brought this here for some sort of endorsement.

So, I'm endorsing your decision. Please move out. I can relate very well with this. Same reason my elder brother moved out at early after working less than a year.

I don't want to talk about your parents. Just get that apartment and move out

6 Likes

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by wittyt98(m): 5:48am On Mar 25, 2018
grin grin grin I feel your pain grin grin grin
you made the right move by planning to be independent. I hope everything works well for ya.

I got a parry to attend today biko
I'm ara here

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Vince77(m): 5:50am On Mar 25, 2018
Desirae:

Never ever settle for a man that has the bolded mentality. Such man is still very archaic and can never reason in-line with today's world. Live your life. I repeat, Live your life. You only have one life.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by AlexCk: 5:54am On Mar 25, 2018
Naija parents shaa,

Cage person like say u go stay with them forever.
Annoying most times,

They always believe they are right, especially most time when they are sooooo freaking wrong. You try to reason with them, next thing you know, you'd hear, 'you have changed oo, u were not like this before, blah, blah, blah'. Lol

Dear Op, maybe getting your place is better, at least you get ur own peace of mind. @30, and ur parents treat u like that? Uncool.

Sometimes, i don't blame guys/girls that move out of their parents place in their 20s.

8 Likes

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by OvaSabi1(f): 5:58am On Mar 25, 2018
Watch this Gary Vaynerchuk video. I tried to upload the video but nairaland can't take it. I will post the link to the instagram video. In the video, he said appeasing your parents at your own expense every time will cause you to resent them. He said that most of our patents resent their own parents because of something they were forced to do. They won't tell you but if you look closely you will notice. Here's the link

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeT1ZSAl5Fe/

I won't tell you what to do. Just watch and decide for yourself.
Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Tex42(m): 5:59am On Mar 25, 2018
Don't freak out no more dear, most of our parents are prolly like that...my dad, we call him 007 at home, he won't only do these things u've mentioned, he spies too. Lol!...

Just get an apartment, calmly and happily tell them u are moving, They apparently would call ur bluff but they'd accept their 'fate' when u start picking ur stuff.

And pls endeavour to visit them often when u move, they'll definitely miss u as they are used to having u around. So u have to help them adjust...

Our parents?! U really can't blame them, it's just their way. Lol!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by jerflakes(m): 5:59am On Mar 25, 2018
yes you are

2 Likes

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by oruma19: 6:00am On Mar 25, 2018
I am an adult, 40 years Feb 19th this year. I have a wife and 3 children (2 girls, 1 guy ages between 4-8, I own my own house built by me (by aGod's grace) I am and an engineer working in a foreign land but live n Nigeria. I'm all these my parents still call me and my wife whenever I am in town and say "where u de?, no waka for night o, pls go home, my grandchildren nko?, dont go to any party tgis weekend in case u have plans for one, wake up 12 midnight make we do prayer on fone, don't open ur gate ooo, be careful how u do good o, dont go out today, etc etc. For those of us who are blessed to have caring parents let's celebrate and stop Misyearning on Nairaland. Appreciate what u have and communicate ur dislikes instead of spewing trash like " despising parents " . when u finally loose them to death, u will realize what a blessing u had that u didn't appreciate and u will cry. Repent now and loosen up to be their friend instead of keeping to urself. Akpa. Lollzzzz

74 Likes 8 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by Lakebeyin(m): 6:01am On Mar 25, 2018
no matter what they've done, you've got no reason to despise em.. They're our god on earth

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by jy2kbeyond(m): 6:02am On Mar 25, 2018
Naija Parents be like....

Naija Parents: Where are you going at this time of Night?
Me: Errrrrm, I want to go and see ehn.... ehn
Naija Parent: Shut up, when I'm talking you dont talk

Summary is Naija parents are overbearing sad sad sad sad sad

3 Likes

Re: I Am Beginning To Despise My Parents... Am I Overreacting? by fullstreets: 6:04am On Mar 25, 2018
That was my situation till I bought this shirt in protest.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Housewife Takes Rat Poison In Jigawa To Protest Husband’s Plan To Take 2nd Wife / Smith Takema: It’s Ungodly For You To Marry Woman Without Giving Her Enough Sex / Suggest A Name For My Baby Girl: The Naming Ceremony Of My Baby Is Tomorrow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.