Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,083 members, 7,821,730 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 PM

Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language (630 Views)

What Does It Mean To Believe In Jesus? / Why You Should Stop Abbreviating In Jesus Name As IJN / Sex Quotes In Songs Of Solomon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 29, 2016
Hey guys, below are some famous Bible quotations in Aramaic, the language which Jesus spoke. The dialect is the Galilean dialect of the Aramaic. This is an opportunity to learn famous quotes in Jesus' native tongue.

The words in bold are the Aramaic words while those in bracket are the meanings or translations...

1. Ethey man d'hayel meni b'tariy d'let enah shawey m'brak w'mishrey seraqta d'sandiyol

(After me comes He who is greater than I, the straps of whose sandals, I am not worthy to squat down and loose) - Mark 1:7

2. Ant hu bari h'biba b'uk estebket

(You are My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased) - Mark 1:11

3. Shlam leh zimnah w'matyat malkuta d'Elaha. Tubu w'haimenwun b'besorta

(The time is accomplished, and here approaches God's kingdom. Repent and believe in the Gospel) - Mark 1:15

4. Etun batariy w'kbed l'ekon saidaya d'bney enasha

(Follow Me and I will make you fishers of the sons of men) - Mark 1:17

5. Mah lan w'luk Yeshua Nazraiya etyat mobdah lan? Enah yadak luk man ant: qadisha d'Elaha

(What have we with you Jesus the Nazarene, are you to destroy us? I know who you are: the Holy One of God) - Mark 1:24

6. Zom pimuk w'fuq mineh

(Shut your mouth and depart from him) - Mark 1:24.

This is the Aramaic reconstruction of Mark's gospel. The reconstruction seeks to remain true to the exact words as quoted by Jesus and other people and as penned down by Mark.

Note: This is not my work. I will cite sources later
Re: Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language by Samexcell121: 12:27am On Mar 30, 2016
So cool, thanx 4 the insightic knowledge, JAH bless
Re: Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language by Nobody: 12:43am On Mar 30, 2016
7. Nezel l'mdinata qeribta d'af taman akrez bagyn l'hadah nafqeth

(Let us go into other towns that I also preach there because for this reason, I came forth) - Mark 1:38

Below is my own work. A reconstruction of John 1:1 into the Galilean Aramaic:

B'reshit etawhay milta w'milta etawhay l'vat Elaha w'milta etawhay Elah

(In the beginning existed the Word and the Word existed alongside God and the Word was a god)
Re: Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language by johnw74: 5:38am On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:
7. Nezel l'mdinata qeribta d'af taman akrez bagyn l'hadah nafqeth

(Let us go into other towns that I also preach there because for this reason, I came forth) - Mark 1:38

Below is my own work. A reconstruction of John 1:1 into the Galilean Aramaic:

B'reshit etawhay milta w'milta etawhay l'vat Elaha w'milta etawhay Elah

(In the beginning existed the Word and the Word existed alongside God and the Word was a god)

@blue, it's not a good work, "etawhay" means was, or existed as you prefer, in the first and second instance of "etawhay" you correctly interperited it as "existed" and then in the third instance of the word "etawhay" you wrongly translated it as "was a"

A proper interpertation of the Aramiac verse as you posted it is:

B' reshit etawhay milta w' milta etawhay l'vat Elaha w' milta etawhay Elah
In beginning existed Word and Word existed alongside God and Word existed God

An even easier English understanding is:
in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God
Re: Famous Quotes In Jesus' Native Language by Nobody: 11:26am On Mar 30, 2016
johnw74:

@blue, it's not a good work, "etawhay" means was, or existed as you prefer, in the first and second instance of "etawhay" you correctly interperited it as "existed" and then in the third instance of the word "etawhay" you wrongly translated it as "was a"

A proper interpertation of the Aramiac verse as you posted it is:

B' reshit etawhay milta w' milta etawhay l'vat Elaha w' milta etawhay Elah
In beginning existed Word and Word existed alongside God and Word existed God

An even easier English understanding is:
in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God

Thanks, I think I will work on it.

(1) (Reply)

Before I Can Take Any Religion Serious / Pastor In The House Please Help / The Real Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.