Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,004 members, 7,863,618 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:36 PM

My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election (595 Views)

Rivers Re-run Elections: Live Monitoring And Updates / Rivers Rerun: APC Unleashes Full Weight Of Federal Might On Rivers / Amaechi And Wike In Handshake During Peace Meeting On Rivers Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by onismate: 5:26am On Mar 30, 2016
The last Rivers Re-Run election was full of violence and very bloody with people calling for the heads of Former Governor Amaechi and the present Governor, Wike. Both men of have been tagged demons for not been able to hold, control their men who went on rampage and killing each other’s opponent supporters.
But as an INEC Presiding officer for my polling unit in that last Rivers Re-run, here is what I think about the election and the flaws of INEC and Federal Government. From my observation, INEC was not ready for the election at all. Here is why:
1. Delay at the sharing and commencement of the election: INEC said the election was supposed to start by 8am but it took them till 9:30am for the arrival of election materials to our RAC center. Before materials were shared and everything put in place for us to leave to our polling units, it was around 1:30pm, which is not supposed to be. So the elections started late. INEC should try to keep to time.
2. No availability of Transportation to convey Adhoc staffs and materials to their polling units: Now this one is so worrisome. After the materials had been distributed to us, there was no means of transportation provided by INEC to convey us to our polling units. All that brought the first heavy fight and violence in my RAC center when one of the heavy weight party in Nigeria carried corpers who were presiding officers for their wards in their hilux car. The other heavy weight party refused. They locked the gate of the RAC that the car conveying those corpers won’t leave that compound. And that they were taking the corpers to an unknown destination to rig the election. The other party denied it that they were just trying to help convey the corpers since INEC didn’t make provision. Na so the thing start ooo. There were gunshots and fight. Na so the corpers finally leave the car, carry materials for their head come jump enter okada without security and went to their polling units. INEC failed in this aspect. They ought to have provided everything needed for the elections. Imagine if hoodlums intercepted those materials from those corpers!
3. They provided armless security for us for each polling unit: in Rivers state, Christianity is their main religion, after Christianity is politics. Politics is their second religion. They don’t joke with politics in Rivers state. For a state prone to violence, if INEC was ready that they want a violent free and fair election, one security official attached to a polling unit was not enough. Infact even the one security official was not armed.** just imagine** The female security officer attached to my unit had nothing but only her uniform as an official of NSCDS to prove she was a security personnel. No gun or even weapon at all. When my election material was snatched, na she first run for her life. This is a lesson to INEC. For the local Governments remaining for the elections, they should make sure to deploy at least 6 police armed men to a polling unit to avoid harassment and breakdown of law and order. Even as a Presiding officer, I was harassed my hoodlums and even voters.
4. Avoid Materials Error: INEC should try and avoid errors and mistakes due to the sensitivity of their work. 75% of the card readers provided for the election was not working. Most of us were left with no choice than to make use of manual authentication method. Another blunder committed by INEC was omitting PDP in the result sheets. I was nearly beaten in my polling unit because of that, as if I was INEC. INEC should be careful next time because these errors can incite violence because other parties would think INEC wants to rig election for another party.
5. Insurance for INEC Adhoc staff who participate in the elections: The Federal Government and INEC should provide a suitable insurance scheme for people, most especially corp members participating in the election because it seem politicians are using them as sacrificial lambs. And they are also prone to dangers in the work field. No body prays for the death of anyone but insurance will go a long way just incase of any unforeseen circumstances.

http://www.hovabuzz.com/frontline/1114-where-inec-fg-got-it-wrong-with-the-rivers-re-run-election
Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by AleAirHub(m): 5:30am On Mar 30, 2016
Former Governor Amaechi and the present Governor Wike should be probe for that violence....
Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by drizzymadbet(m): 5:53am On Mar 30, 2016
Either for the love of money or for the love of country, in violent prone areas like portharcourt no right thinking person should allow himself to be used as ad hoc staff or collation officer cos if you die Na so your own take end.

A word is enough for the wise
Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by Nobody: 5:54am On Mar 30, 2016
Dulladism is infectious! When the head is confused, the body follows suit.

1 Like

Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by eph12(m): 6:01am On Mar 30, 2016
So it was true that PDP was omitted in some of the result sheets? Could we say this was an error or purposely done?

2 Likes

Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by mrphysics(m): 6:03am On Mar 30, 2016
When the leaders are violent, what do u expect from the people?

Amechi and Wike are political thugs, they don't deserve any leadership post. They should be with Asari Dakubo. But this is Nigeria for you.
Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by Tallesty1(m): 6:20am On Mar 30, 2016
eph12 post.=44236783:
So it was true that PDP was omitted in some of the result sheets? Could we say this was an error or purposely done?
INEC denied it.

I think Lai spirit has entered them.

1 Like

Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by kodded(m): 6:29am On Mar 30, 2016

undecided undecided

buhari is a dulllard
undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: My Observation And Where INEC Went Wrong On Rivers Re-run Election by Histrings08(m): 7:13am On Mar 30, 2016
U nailed it bro... The poster above Me is looking for trouble, I'm not there o

(1) (Reply)

Agatu: Benue Legislators Blast Buhari, Says Jihad Is Been Waged On Their People / Caption This Photo Of Sarakonda / Imagine If Buhari Did All These

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.