Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,045 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1164) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11738944 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1161) (1162) (1163) (1164) (1165) (1166) (1167) ... (16176) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:54pm On Jun 23, 2017
(Exclusive Photo) Super Eagles GK Akpeyi & Pretty Emmanuella Hold Secret Court Wedding In Lagos

Super Eagles goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi legalized his union with pretty Eberi-Kalu Emmanuella Uwaeze on Wednesday, June 21 in Lagos, allnigeriasoccer.com has been informed.

Prior to this ceremony, the Chippa United star held a traditional marriage ceremony on December 29, 2016 in Abiriba, Abia State.

Akpeyi and his spouse opted for a low-key court wedding, bearing it in mind that an elaborate ceremony was held six months ago, so his teammates in the national team were not present.

The former Warri Wolves glovsman was in between the pipes in Nigeria's 2-0 loss to South Africa in an AFCON qualifier on June 10.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23517

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:00pm On Jun 23, 2017

Juwon Oshaniwa © SNS Group

Hearts, Oshaniwa set to part ways
by George Akpayen

Nigeria defender Juwon Oshaniwa faces the exit door at Scottish Premier League side Heart of Midlothian.

The 26-year-old left-back has fallen out of favour at Tynecastle and has failed to make a single first-team appearance in one year, further fuelling reports that talks with the Edinburgh club will be centred on ending their relationship.

Things are also not in favour of the Nigerian defender as he has just a year left in his contract.

Oshaniwa has unfortunately been unable to command a first-team place at Tynecastle in past months.

The former Sharks FC man struggled to get a look-in in former Hearts head coach Robbie Neilson's team and could not even earn an appearance under current manager Ian Cathro.

The club are looking to free up space for Polish left-back Rafal grzelak as Oshaniwa is reportedly one of their top-earning playing personnel.

Reports in Scotland now suggest that Oshaniwa and Hearts are set for showdown talks to bring about a smooth end to their relationship.

Oshaniwa's stock rose on the international scene after he was named in Nigeria's squad to the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations which they won and then featured at the 2014 Fifa World Cup in Brazil.

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/170623/Hearts_Oshaniwa_set_to_part_ways

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:12pm On Jun 23, 2017
Excellent!

Although I don't want to fault those calling for Martins' inclusion, since he is not finished yet. Still there is no guarantee that he can even walk into Rorh's starting line up. Some coaches would give him a chance. But Rohr has a different philosophy that favors youth.

TheSuperNerd:
At the ongoing Confed Cup, I saw Raul Jimenez, Mexico's Big natural no.9 flunk against Portugal. No shot on target and his hold-up play Xtic was meaningless. He only came to life against New Zealand.

I also saw Vincent Aboubakar, the player some folks wanna hype so much, miss glaring chances against A less physically powerful/imposing and slow Australian side. If he was Iheanacho... we will be hearing that this guy is useless as a no.9.... why don't they term Aboubakar useless??

Fact is at least Two of those many chances Aboubakr threw away as the natural no.9/striker that he is will be buried with emphasis By Kelechi Iheanacho... EPL's Deadliest Forward in goals per mins ratio.

It is unfair and purely fallacious to say Iheanacho is not good in the CF role. He is good... he lacks the strength to hold up play properly.. yes. He cannot really play with his back to goal akin to Drogba, Costa, et al.. yes. But he improvises beautifully and that has made him The Deadliest Striker in EPL history for goals per min ratio for players with 10+ goals and above since August 2015!!!!!

Nacho is Good as a no.9/top striker... but he is far better as an SS and An AmF. Chikena.

So truth is... I cannot see pass Iheanacho starting against Cameroun for now unless he is injured.

Kayode is am option. Why are you guys not considering him?? You mention martins... I can even manage Ideye.

Abeg... KC/Iheanacho/Nacho/Kelechi is the best no.9/Top striker we have now. #Fact

There is a whole lot more to being a top striker than just being physical and hold-up play and playing with back to goal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:22pm On Jun 23, 2017
the forgotten man.
I don't rule out second tier league players.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ikechukwu-uche/leistungsdaten/spieler/44027
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:06pm On Jun 23, 2017
komekn:

KC is not a stand alone striker in the mold of Drogba, Lukaku, Anichebe, Ibrahimovic, Balotelli.

He needs support to be effective otherwise he will be out of his comfort zone and almost invisible. The match against a far less physical and aggressive SA and indeed even the game against Senegal exposed these limitations in his game.
bros are they playing for nigeria apart from anichebe who i will term useless following your logic on isaac success
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:17pm On Jun 23, 2017
komekn:
If you put Isaac Success in Man city with the kind of support given to the forward players, he will score goals.

KC true test will be when he goes to Leicester or West Ham and finds far less quality approach play and support. Then he will have his true baptism and his true quality will be seen.
then kc is useless
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:19pm On Jun 23, 2017
Move for Man City's 20 year old star could be difficult

News out of England via The Telegraph points out a small dilemma that Manchester City face when they move their young star this summer.

Twenty year old Nigerian Kelechi Iheanacho has attracted interest from both Leicester and West Ham, and City looks eager to allow him to depart but are keen to include a buy-back option.
This could be a major stumbling block in any move for the player, who is expected to chase nearly 25 million GBP and his buy-back would be an additional 10 million GBP. For potential buyers, this could ward off initial interest, but City will want to protect their investment at all costs.

Iheanacho scored 4 goals and notched 3 assists in 20 games this season for Pep’s side, only 5 of which he started in. He can play either as a true #9 or as a secondary striker, making him an attractive prospect for many clubs across Europe.
At only 20 years of age, the Nigerian is one of Man City’s best young players who they have tied down until 2021. Pep will want the young ace to gain more experience and feature more regularly, but his deal must come as an intelligent choice for club.

Source: http://m.calciomercato.com/en/news/move-for-man-city-s-20-year-old-star-could-be-difficult-21850
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
Man City Iheanacho Sparks Rumours Of Imminent Move To Leicester City With Latest Action On Twitter

Out of favour Manchester City Nigerian forward Kelechi Iheanacho caused a meltdown on twitter between fans of Leicester City after his latest action made many suggest he could be on his way to the King Power Stadium.

The 20 year old has been heavily linked with a move to the former Premier League champions with West Ham United also keen on his services after he dropped down the pecking order at Manchester City.

Iheanacho is now third choice striker for City behind Gabriel Jesus and Sergio Kun Aguero, a situation which made him miss out on the matchday squad for some games last season.

Although the issue of a buy back clause is currently stalling his move away from the club, with City also keen on signing a replacement before sanctioning his sale.

He recently gave Leicester City fans something to cheer about when he followed three of their players on Twitter sparking a mild argument which almost went viral between fans of the team.

German defender Christian Fuchs and his Nigerian Nigeria national teammates Ahmed Musa and Wilfred Ndidi all of Leicester City were the players he followed on twitter which sparked the debate.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/23/man-city-iheanacho-sparks-rumours-of-imminent-move-to-leicester-city-with-latest-action-on-twitter/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:30pm On Jun 23, 2017
Icon4s:

10,000likes!
Oshe! Grand master.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:40pm On Jun 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I completely disagree with you.

Success has been playing as a winger most of the times he was at Granada. Even at Watford, He is still played from the wings. And his finishing is not as deadly or as renowned as Kelechi's. Why do you think same Success said Kelechi is the Best footballer he has ever played with?? wink

And wait ooooo.... I thought Success is a waste-man to you naa... why bring him into a KC argument just to water down Kelechi's quality and achievements at City?? undecided *smh*

It's to explain and highlight the philosophy and ethos of Manchester city.

And to further explain the kind of player KC is his abilities fit into the Manchester city system albeit with a handicap of limited pace comparative to the three preferred forward players ahead of him.

But because they don't play lone ranger football th limitations of KC as outright striker are not exposed. And because they play such a system even a very limited Isaac Success would still score goals albeit probably not as many as KC.

When you are surrounded by quality players they will bring out the best in a player.

KC is an excellent player who when he plays in a team with less quality across the team. Will have to stand up and be counted that will be his true test.

I have made similar observations about Iwobi he looks good in an Arsenal team that is technically excellent however, ask him to get down and dirty, rough and tumble and he will have problems.

That's why players like Drogba, Lukaku, Ibrahimovic, Yaya, Balotelli, etc no matter the set up will excel because they are very versatile.

In the modern game the term winger is becoming outdated, particularly in the 4-3-3 where all three forward players interchange. In this regard would you call Ronaldo or Bale wingers

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 9:51pm On Jun 23, 2017
komekn:

And to further explain the kind of player KC is his abilities fit into the Manchester city system albeit with a handicap of limited pace comparative to the three preferred forward players ahead of him.

But because they don't play lone ranger football th limitations of KC as outright striker are not exposed. And because they play such a system even a very limited Isaac Success would still score goals albeit probably not as many as KC.

When you are surrounded by quality players they will bring out the best in a player.

KC is an excellent player who when he plays in a team with less quality across the team. Will have to stand up and be counted that will be his true test.

I have made similar observations about Iwobi he looks good in an Arsenal team that is technically excellent however, ask him to get down and dirty, rough and tumble and he will have problems.

That's why players like Drogba, Lukaku, Ibrahimovic, Yaya, Balotelli, etc no matter the set up will excel because they are very versatile.

In the modern game the term winger is becoming outdated, particularly in the 4-3-3 where all three forward players interchange. In this regard would you call Ronaldo or Bale wingers
will you pick anichebe ahead of defoe because of hold up and build up play or back to goal?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:03pm On Jun 23, 2017
H
maidaboi:
bros are they playing for nigeria apart from anichebe who i will term useless following your logic on isaac success

It is comparative analysis.

Anichebe has been plagued by Injury after Injury trying to get 10 games out of Anichebe without Injury is almost impossible.

I have watched Anichebe live over quite a lot g period.
But in recent times I watched him live single handedly bully they entire defensive line of Liverpool. In addition every single ball that was thrown into the 18 he claimed with his head.

I watched him out pace Clyne in a race for the ball at the end of the match which Sunderland lost all the commentators said he was unplayable that day.

I am looking at him doing a job and doing it very well and that is too bully the entire defensive line up of Cameroon.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:10pm On Jun 23, 2017
In the 4-3-3... they are called Wing Forwards... that I know. I was only speaking of Success at Granada.

And about Iwobi getting down and dirty.... I assure you rhsf quality of the player in Iwobi will still shine. He is a class-act abeg. Breaking into that Arsenal side in the first place is a huge achievememt for Iwobi. You realise what it takes to play the Wenger way..... A whole lot!

On Kelechi, I have to tell you this. A finisher is a finisher anywhere you place him.

Bring in Pipo Inzaghi and even Marco Van Basten... these strikers were not physically imposing. But they were lethal finishers as no.9s. What they lacked in hold-up play and playing with their back to goal, they made up for in being able to attack space. They became what Thomas Muller is now... A raumdeuter (space investigator) who also come up with the spectacular goals on some occasions.

This is the kind of no.9/top striker that Nacho is... "a raumdeuter".

He attacks space with relentless and excellent positioning and his pace. He sneaks in with his constant mobility around the defensive structure of a team and finds that space to attack a pass or through pass from his midfield team mates and his does the damage.

Not all no.9 must play gra gra and guard the ball like Hercules and play with back with foal like Trojans. Even Suarez is an excellent attacker of space.... and improvises his skillsets to avoid doing things the Lewandowski way....

We have different no.9s in football and all come with their special characteristics.

So KC even at Leicester or West Ham will stills deliver. You can take that to the bank. A super finisher is a super finisher any day, anytime, anywhere. God! who watched Pipo Inzaghi here?? That guy has so many limitations to his game... yet he excelled as a no.9.

komekn:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2017
Excellent Question.... wink

maidaboi:
will you pick anichebe ahead of defoe because of hold up and build up play or back to goal?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2017
Good....I get you.

Anichebe bullies... then who finishes?

komekn:
H

It is comparative analysis.

Anichebe has been plagued by Injury after Injury trying to get 10 games out of Anichebe without Injury is almost impossible.

I have watched Anichebe live over quite a lot g period.
But in recent times I watched him live single handedly bully they entire defensive line of Liverpool. In addition every single ball that was thrown into the 18 he claimed with his head.

I watched him out pace Clyne in a race for the ball at the end of the match which Sunderland lost all the commentators said he was unplayable that day.

I am looking at him doing a job and doing it very well and that is too bully the entire defensive line up of Cameroon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 11:20pm On Jun 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Good....I get you.

Anichebe bullies... then who finishes?

[left][/left]
Ndidi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:21pm On Jun 23, 2017
Arsenal Ready To Part Company With Nigerian Starlet After Fifteen Years

Chuba Akpom could bid farewell to Arsenal this summer after spending fifteen years at the club, according to reports.

The Independent says the Hale End Academy product is among the nine players expected to depart the Emirates Stadium outfit before the close of the transfer window.

Arsenal are hoping to extend the contract of Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil with improved wage offers, but will have to sell several first-teamers to raise funds to secure the long-term future of both players.

At the moment, Championship outfit Leeds United are in pole position to sign Chuba Akpom.

The 21-year-old has made ten appearances for the first team of Arsenal in the last four years, and has enjoyed loan spells with Hull City, Brighton, Brentford, Coventry City and Nottingham Forest.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : arsenal.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23519
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:23pm On Jun 23, 2017
This your knack for sarcasm is getting too much... angry

Lazyerudite:
Ndidi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:46pm On Jun 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Sir AndreTAyodeji.... Sir ATA.... plsss welcome to our midst.

I have been trying to welcome you but NL keeps bringing up this bad gateway window making it hard to drop further comments or navigate the forum.

Anyway... you are highly welcome O Jare... plss ehn... feel free okay.

This is your house too.... wink

Pls have manage some refreshments....

[img]http://3.bp..com/-KINk-mBhgLY/VnxK9A5eCFI/AAAAAAAATE4/yfkgRsN5lzc/s400/34.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-3O8O8vW1w3s/VnxKeFVn4aI/AAAAAAAATEw/nGFLrB5O-bE/s1600/33.jpg[/img]

Correct swallow no dey to serve make e belle full in. this one no go fit help analyse naija sport situo o. The mention of only Mr Giwa alone can zap out this teaser you use as welcome. lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:51pm On Jun 23, 2017
forgiveness:

Ok. But you have not answered my question on why I should remove Ideye and Martins?
Martins would destroy the Cmr defence. but.... mistake of Rohr is not having an experienced striker during that match like the way Germany does for Klose even if he plays with 10 boys..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:52pm On Jun 23, 2017
Na wa for u ooo... well it is what I could bring together... our house's first lady is AWOL... and the other ladies prefer the backseat. sad

So I had to muster up something naa...

daveP:
Correct swallow no dey to serve make e belle full in. this one no go fit help analyse naija sport situo o. The mention of only Mr Giwa alone can zap out this teaser you use as welcome. lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:57pm On Jun 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Are you people minding Forgiveness? undecided

He analyses football with a three-layered blindfold when it comes to Players like Iheanacho.

He keeps making a case for Solanke and Ajagun and we know why.

His analysis reeks of pure hate for certain players and blind love for others.... he will cook up any statement to spill nonsense to castigate our fine young footballers.

This was how he called me a liar for saying Iheanacho dusted Solanke in the 2015/16 season when both were given playing time (with Iheanacho have far lesser time and starts compared to Solanke) and I dropped the stats and burst his bubble.

Now he is here typing more trash...

Guys and ladies.... In my own analyses, I have clamored for Ajagun to be given a chance and also Aluko. I have also said I think Solanke can add something to our team if we can get him... but I will never run a player down with so much painful hate in the name of objectivity.

Bia Forgiveness.... this is why people hardly take you serious here. You really have to calm down and analyse soccer like a gentleman and not throwing careless comments like "I have no doubt that the national team is a cult".... who told you?? undecided Where is thy proof?

Freedom of expression does not mean you come and spill lies and comments devoid of intelligent analysis biko. Plsss check yourself. Thank You.

Chisos See Wetin make u use king James English? ye turuwaneh! grin[b]
TheSuperNerd:

He analyses football with a three-layered blindfold when it comes to Players like Iheanacho.

His analysis reeks of pure hate for certain players and blind love for others.... he will cook up any statement to spill nonsense to castigate our fine young footballers.

This was how he called me a liar for saying Iheanacho dusted Solanke in the 2015/16 season when both were given playing time (with Iheanacho have far lesser time and starts compared to Solanke) and I dropped the stats and burst his bubble.

Guys and ladies.... In my own analyses, I have clamored for Ajagun to be given a chance and also Aluko. I have also said I think Solanke can add something to our team if we can get him... but I will never run a player down with so much painful hate in the name of objectivity.

Bia Forgiveness.... this is why people hardly take you serious here. You really have to calm down and analyse soccer like a gentleman and not throwing careless comments like "I have no doubt that the national team is a cult".... who told you?? undecided Where is thy proof?

Freedom of expression does not mean you come and spill lies and comments devoid of intelligent analysis biko. Plsss check yourself. Thank You.

Chisos See Wetin make u use king James English? ye turuwaneh! grin[/b]
TheSuperNerd:

Chisos See Wetin make u use king James English? ye turuwaneh! grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:59pm On Jun 23, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Na wa for u ooo... well it is what I could bring together... our house's first lady is AWOL... and the other ladies prefer the backseat. sad

So I had to muster up something naa...

Even when she dey sef .... we fit paste vacancy now. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 7:16am On Jun 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
This your knack for sarcasm is getting too much... angry

[left][/left]
Sorry jare, I felt anichebe should not even be an option, the fact that people are actually questioning Nacho's ability is strange. One would think we would be looking for an attacking midfielder who would make his runs count. Not to start considering Martins and the likes

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 7:56am On Jun 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Exclusive – Belgium Side Sint Truiden Open Talks With Liverpool Over Loan Deal For Awoniyi

Belgium top division side Sint Truiden have opened talks with Liverpool over their Nigerian striker Taiwo Awoniyi who has been made available for a loan deal by the club.

Although Liverpool prefer the 19 year old to have his third loan spell in England after playing on loan in Germany and Netherlands, the club are however opened to the idea of letting him leave to a club outside England due to uncertainty over their application for a work permit.

Swedish side Kalmar who were compensated when Awoniyi moved to Liverpool in two years ago have confirmed their interest while an unnamed team in Turkey is also keen on the services of Awoniyi who spent last season on loan to relegated Dutch side NEC Nijmegen.

STVV as Sint Truiden are called in Belgium have a nice relationship with Liverpool and they are hoping to use it to good effect in their bid to land the forward who is widely regarded as one of the finest young forwards in Nigerian football.

A decision on his next loan destination will be revealed before the end of the current transfer window with Awoniyi also keen on having pre season with the team he will be spending time on loan with next season.

**Daniel Martins

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/06/23/exclusive-belgium-side-sint-truiden-open-talks-with-liverpool-over-loan-deal-for-awoniyi/

I was almost certain this guy will make it playing top flight football for a proper team, but his stock has fallen so badly in such a short time. Not good
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 8:16am On Jun 24, 2017
Lazyerudite:

Sorry jare, I felt anichebe should not even be an option, the fact that people are actually questioning Nacho's ability is strange. One would think we would be looking for an attacking midfielder who would make his runs count. Not to start considering Martins and the likes

I concur. Martins and players of his generation should be allowed to focus of club football for what is left of their careers. Dude debuted for Nigeria in 2004!!

personally I think if a team is playing with one striker and that striker is Iheanacho then they will struggle in regards to sustaining pressure on the opposition defence and the consequences of that would be your opponents will build attacks from deep or stroke the ball around to kill time if they need to.

I think Ideye while not prolific can and does occupy 2 defenders every time should always lead the line for us. He is technically adept, has a good first touch when compared with his national team peers, cannot be pushed around or bundled off the ball, tactically knows his function in the team (watch clips of the Zambia games either Afcon 2013 or last WCQ), fit, good injury record and he always gives 110%. It is sad he is unlucky in front of goal, his decision making is not the problem.

Anyway we have magicians to play behind him who will benefit from his presence up there.

Having said that the state of our defence is where the real worries lie. We just don't seem to have the personnel to inspire confidence. I would have thought Rohr would have engaged using his German connections in getting the below guys to commit to Nigeria, instead he went for Sarenren Bazee when we have many options in that area.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ohis-felix-uduokhai/profil/spieler/278343

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kevin-akpoguma/profil/spieler/160241

we are on the brink of something big. But sadly it could not be what we expect.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:22am On Jun 24, 2017
jotey:

You are just shooting yourself on the foot grin

Ideye was the one that assisted iheanacho's goal.Mind you ideye was the striker in that match

Ideye might not score but he must surely assist

You want to put iheanacho as a striker against cameroun... I laugh grin

Against south Africa you saw how lost he was...no shot on target nothing nothing grin

Play him as a striker against cameroun and he will be lost again grin

This is a typical example of someone who did not watch the game or did not understand the mechanics of play and arguing with someone who watched the game.

Icon4s used the word Orchestrator for Mikel's role in the goal and you are showing Ideye made the assist. Total misconception. What Oga Boss Icon4s means is that Without the Intelligence, brilliant decision making and Orchestrating passes to the build up of that goal, Ideye would not have that kind of opportunity to make the assist.

Mikel was the brain behind that goal. Without him, Ideye would also be lost in the game. Even in the other games Ideye played for the Super Eagles, Mikel was a constant.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:32am On Jun 24, 2017
All this talk about big strikers does not work for me because the big strikers are easier to mark out of the game compared to the smaller one. Who do you think defenders will prefer to face?

Giroud or Sanchez
Aguero or Bony
Suarez or Benteke
Crouch or Firminho

Keep in mind, Klopp dropped Benteke for Firminho.

Also, we need the team moving forward and not backwards. My focus is on Osimhen having an explosive season as Iheanacho did at Manchester City and him giving a real battle for the striking role. I expect us to have a striking pair of Iheanacho and Osimhen upfront in the near future.

Not for the Camerounian match but from next year. As for the Cameroun game, Iheanacho leads with Mikel Orchestrating the forwards with brilliant tidy passes. Mikel needs to bring his A game to this match.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:13am On Jun 24, 2017
maidaboi:

Anichebe when he was able to play opened up chances for Defoe. But Defoe without doubt is exceptional in a moi moi team like Sunderland he was still able to perform wonders.

Anichebe simply deh open road make better person pass and score. And d beta person na Defoe, a consistent top performing striker for over 15 years in the premiership.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:15am On Jun 24, 2017
maidaboi:

hold up play and basically to unsettle the muscle head Cameroon defenders.

Anichebe opens the door for Defoe to deliver although as small as Defoe is he can still operate as a single striker. However, it's more effective with Anichebe who also scores the odd goal given the chance. On his day a defenders worst nightmare.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:29am On Jun 24, 2017
Humility017:

Sir please let's be realistic
these guys you mentioned are not better than nacho and the likes of kayode...besides they both offer more for the future than the duo you're craving for
forget these tried and tested thing...
a good player is a good player

I would like you to take a cold hard look at all of KC goals. And notice his ability to create goals from nothing a sharp eye he has good movement in the 18 but he needs the right pass. He rarely beats players or uses skill and trickery lots of 1/2s but not many one on ones or beating two players.

He needs support without support he becomes anonymous. When he leaves city without the support and clever passing of world class midfielders and supportive forward players.

KC will have to play a different type of game then we will see if he can really cut it.

Then you will understand that he will struggle against Cameroon. Let's hope Mikel is not just fit and but match fit and sharp after a long lay off.

Otherwise we are going to struggle for team cohesion in that case you need a bulldozer to break and smash the door since we don't have the technical subtlety to Cleverly open the defenseive doors through clever passing and skill.

It is in this regard I look to Anichebe more than Ideye and Ighalo more than Ideye.

In this game a fast and trickish player with experience like Aluko and Obagoal will do much more than KC and Kayode in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:34am On Jun 24, 2017
Icon79:
Oga forgiveness, please could you kindly list some of these so called reputable football analysts, and professional footballers. Just for my personal education. Thanks.

O pari

I could name a few but you probably will not know them but they are football analysts for EPL clubs not on big money but behind the scenes going through hours of video footage of individual players to objectively assess thier competencies, strengths and weaknesses.

Furthermore they wouldn't take kindly to being quoted online.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1161) (1162) (1163) (1164) (1165) (1166) (1167) ... (16176) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.