Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,350 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1225) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11588625 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1222) (1223) (1224) (1225) (1226) (1227) (1228) ... (16120) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by robosky02(m): 9:47am On Jul 25, 2017
EMIOMOADEOYE:

With a comatose league, I will be reluctant to hunt for keepers there.

Vincent Enyeama became first choice keeper while at Enyimba. It used to be that Enyimba was winning CAF champions league back to back. And Vincent was in between the post for them. That was the quality back then.

These days, Nigerian teams go to continental club engagements just to mark attendance. No flair, no grit, no passion.

2 SOLUTION

for now call up dele aiyenugba or austin ejide if we cant get enyeama

in the long run lets WORK our league to standard
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:56am On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

Unfortunately those expensive jerseys are the real ones straight from the Nike store. The one's Nike will make sales and profit from. If they can't sell those jerseys since its expensive, why should they pay premium prize for shirt endorsement?

Talking about friendlies, the truth is that gate takings is not enough to cover overhead costs. You maybe shocked to hear this, but the truth is that gate takings is not enough to pay for players match allowance and accommodations. The average gate fee for Super Eagles games is about 500 while the players take earn an allowance of $5-10K. However you like to market the games, you can't depend on gate fee to run a team or a federation.

The whole deal I'm talking about is how it will benefit the entire continent. Nigeria is not the only country in Africa. If Nigeria is struggling like this, one can only imagine what countries like Malawi, Sierra Leone, Gambia, Mozambique etc will be going through.

By the way the Messi example doesn't fit in here. It was just a one time thing. Can't be compared to George Weah personally financing the entire world cup campaign of Liberia. I'm talking about paying players match allowance, transportation and other logistics. This is the reality many African countries have to deal with. Look at Niger, they couldn't even afford to enter a bus and drive down to Nigeria to honour an AFCON qualifier.

The purpose of any endorsement deal is not selling jerseys. They are basically paying u for a Nike commercial. Nike sells more than jerseys, they build their brand whenever it is seen on TV. The amount of people wearing the super eagles jersey is completely irrelevant. Nike sponsors thousands of high schools in America without selling any jersey.

On a side note, what grinds my gears is that here in Nigeria we still don't know that gatekeeping is not the only money to be made at the stadia. What about food and drinks? This should account for even more than gatekeeping. The Nigerian football experience is bellow par, we do not act like it is a business. The is almost no difference between going to the stadium or strolling to the park.

The Messi reports say it was more than a one time thing, he even had to pay staff. The fact is Argentina is still a contender to win the world cup even with their financial woes. Football is not about money it is about talent and desire. Just like America would have won a world cup a long time ago if people actually cared about men's soccer over there.

China has always been a big spender. Their basketball league has been doing this for years now but it still remains that u can't improve too much on quality when u can only have 3 foreigners in a team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:06am On Jul 25, 2017
tbaba1234:

I am sorry but this is bigoted talk. Have we not held international matches in Kano? Did the heavens fall? Borno did not have 'political sharia', implemented, yet it is the home of Boko Haram.

If that is the case, we should not hold any international match in Nigeria because there are underlying tensions everywhere in the country.

People don't know that when they wake up in the morning it is by God's grace. They feel it was their perfect culture and religion that made it happen. Terrorist can strike anywhere, even in our so called Christian states.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:08am On Jul 25, 2017
EMIOMOADEOYE:

Once upon a time when we had an ocean of Goalkeepers.

Ambrose Vanzekin
Dele Ajiboye

These guys were hot when they burst into limelight some years back. They were neglected and are now off the radar. Never in my life did I imagine we would be at this point where we dont have a keeper

Neglected?

So we should have neglected the trio of Enyeama, Ejide and Ayenugba instead? Because we want Vanzenkin and Ajiboye in the national team?

You guys seem to forget or probably are not aware that Akpeyi and Ezenwa were also junior internationals.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The purpose of any endorsement deal is not selling jerseys. They are basically paying u for a Nike commercial. Nike sells more than jerseys, they build their brand whenever it is seen on TV. The amount of people wearing the super eagles jersey is completely irrelevant. Nike sponsors thousands of high schools in America without selling any jersey.

On a side note, what grinds my gears is that here in Nigeria we still don't know that gatekeeping is not the only money to be made at the stadia. What about food and drinks? This should account for even more than gatekeeping. The Nigerian football experience is bellow par, we do not act like it is a business. The is almost no difference between going to the stadium or strolling to the park.

The Messi reports say it was more than a one time thing, he even had to pay staff. The fact is Argentina is still a contender to win the world cup even with their financial woes. Football is not about money it is about talent and desire. Just like America would have won a world cup a long time ago if people actually cared about men's soccer over there.

China has always been a big spender. Their basketball league has been doing this for years now but it still remains that u can't improve too much on quality when u can only have 3 foreigners in a team.

I didn't want to get involved but the main point in a sponsorship deal FOR FOOTBALL teams is how marketable your brand is, in other words football vests and boots etc etc. Why do you think Manu keeps on getting the top deals? Because they buy top players that sell shirts! And they publicize their players well enough so for football, sales matter a lot to sponsors
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:12am On Jul 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Neglected?

So we should have neglected the trio Enyeama, Ejide and Ayenugba instead? Because we want Vanzenkin and Ajiboye in the national team?

You guys seem to forget or probably are not aware that Akpeyi and Ezenwa were also junior internationals.

Akpeyi went to the U20 with Ideye, probably the worst U20 set we have ever assembled until recent times though so what he is doing here doesn't make sense to me at all, he was poor then, he developed poorly and still is poor.

Personally Ajiboye is the best GK we have in the local league so why do you keep on hammering Ezenwa?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:29am On Jul 25, 2017
Mickael2:

England- Defoe
Germany- Gomez
Spain- Iniesta
Brazil- Paulinho
Argentina- Mascherano etc etc

these are all guys who are well above 30, if they are in Nigeria we will start calling them 'has beens' because we have a few players either warming the bench at Man City/Werder Bremen or playing in the Austrian league.

Now for effect, Defoe played for the worst team in the Epl last season, yet he got called up, Gomez played for a team that only finished two places above relegation, yet he was invited. Paulinho plays in the chinese league yet he is invited but here in Nigeria, if you are not warming the bench in the Epl or some other 'supposed' top league you are not going anywhere. Someone from Iheanacho's family said it quite clearly, that they received an offer from Eibar either for a loan deal or a transfer and let's be honest, the lad would have developed better there but because here in Nigeria so long as we do not watch your games you become trash he decided to leave the club and go to Leicester, well I pray that works out too but that's the problem we have. For a country like Brazil playing in the Chinese league should be the height of obscurity but they invited a player from there, so why can't we invite a player from the Chinese league( Martins, since 40% of our players are playing in the chinese league anyways, no brainer here really) or the Indonesian league if they can offer us something? Osaze already made it clear that he wants to go to the World Cup with us if he is invited just like he went to the U23 as an over-aged player to offer the little he can but well you know Nigerians, let's trash him because he is 36

I understand you man, but those guys up there are younger and also plays in a better competitive league than osaze.
China would av been better, inviting our veterans in our local league sure pass, huh? Wat do you tink?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:51am On Jul 25, 2017
Chrismario:

I understand you man, but those guys up there are younger and also plays in a better competitive league than osaze.
China would av been better, inviting our veterans in our local league sure pass, huh? Wat do you tink?

they are actually not that much younger. Iniesta is going to be 35, same for Defoe etc etc. Ok let me ask you, playing for the worst team in the chinese league and playing for the best team in the indonesian league which is better?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:53am On Jul 25, 2017
Mickael2:

Akpeyi went to the U20 with Ideye, probably the worst U20 set we have ever assembled until recent times though so what he is doing here doesn't make sense to me at all, he was poor then, he developed poorly and still is poor.

Personally Ajiboye is the best GK we have in the local league so why do you keep on hammering Ezenwa?

Firstly, Akpeyi went to same U20 with Mikel and not Ideye.

Secondly, Did you say the 2007 U20 was our worst ever? What happened to the U20s of 1995, 1997, 2001, and 2003? even 2009.
It means you don't know that the U20 set you have just criticized as the worst produced Brown Ideye, Elderson Echijele, Efe Ambrose late Adefemi Olubayo and Ikechukwu Ezenwa and you say they are the worst?

That 2007 U17 class was a fluke. All of them. From Ajiboye to Lukman to Chrisantus to Oseni and the rest of them.

Let us be fair in our criticism I beg you my people.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:25am On Jul 25, 2017
Ajiboye, the best in our league? Where is Sunday of rivers utd? Do you know that we have goalkeepers the season that have kept clean sheets for almost 1O matches? Ajiboye is not even in the top 5 of clean sheets. Sunday rotimi is not there too but I would say we take him instead of akoeyi
Mickael2:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:37am On Jul 25, 2017
somehow:
Ajiboye, the best in our league? Where is Sunday of rivers utd? Do you know that we have goalkeepers the season that have kept clean sheets for almost 1O matches? Ajiboye is not even in the top 5 of clean sheets. Sunday rotimi is not there too but I would say we take him instead of akoeyi

Sunday Rotimi.

I laugh.

Did you follow the last CHAN?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:43am On Jul 25, 2017
somehow:

ROTIMI SUNDAY, nah papa of out league ooo, a very olden veteran,

his days with a cll is pass, pass, let him enjoy his club career
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:46am On Jul 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Firstly, Akpeyi went to same U20 with Mikel and not Ideye.

Secondly, Did you say the 2007 U20 was our worst ever? What happened to the U20s of 1995, 1997, 2001, and 2003? even 2009.
It means you don't know that the U20 set you have just criticized as the worst produced Brown Ideye, Elderson Echijele, Efe Ambrose late Adefemi Olubayo and Ikechukwu Ezenwa and you say they are the worst?

That 2007 U17 class was a fluke. All of them. From Ajiboye to Lukman to Chrisantus to Oseni and the rest of them.

Let us be fair in our criticism I beg you my people.

first of all, it was Vanzekin was the gk for Mikel's U20, not Akpeyi correct yourself. Ambrose ok but not Akpeyi please.

Out of all the people you mentioned, what did they achieve at U20 level?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:48am On Jul 25, 2017
somehow:

Clean sheets does not equate to a GK's ability. In fact check their saves per game ratio then come back and confirm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:48am On Jul 25, 2017
Mickael2:

I didn't want to get involved but the main point in a sponsorship deal FOR FOOTBALL teams is how marketable your brand is, in other words football vests and boots etc etc. Why do you think Manu keeps on getting the top deals? Because they buy top players that sell shirts! And they publicize their players well enough so for football, sales matter a lot to sponsors

Man u get's top deals because they are the richest club in the world and are known everywhere. U don't even get to think about the amounts of jerseys they can sell because every other company is also begging them to sign.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:54am On Jul 25, 2017
Team B to face the Republic of Benin in CHAN qualifiers

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have announced that the Super Eagles Team B will host the Republic of Benin of Benin in Kano.
The Super Eagles of Nigeria will face the Benin Republic in the qualifiers for the 2018 African Nations Championship (CHAN) in Kenya.

Super Eagles Team B are already in the second round of qualifiers and have been waiting for the winner of the first round qualifying ties between the Republic of Benin and Togo.

The Republic of Benin on Sunday, July 23 beat Togo 7-6 in a penalty shoot-out to progress to the second round where they will face Nigeria.

It got to penalties after the second leg played at the Stade de l’Amitie ended 1-1, bringing aggregate scores to 2-2 ( the first leg in Lome ended 1-1).

Following Benin Republic’s win, they will first host Nigeria in Cotonou on Sunday, August 13 before a second leg in Nigeria on Saturday, August 19.

The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) have announced that the Super Eagles Team B will host the Republic of Benin of Benin in Kano.

The home-based players included in the 30-man Super Eagles Team B squad for the qualifiers have resumed camp in Kano ahead of the qualifiers.

Nigeria have only qualified for two editions of CHAN, finishing third in South Africa 2014 and crashing out in the first round of Rwanda 2016.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:59am On Jul 25, 2017
Mickael2:

first of all, it was Vanzekin was the gk for Mikel's U20, not Akpeyi correct yourself. Ambrose ok but not Akpeyi please.

Out of all the people you mentioned, what did they achieve at U20 level?

A team goes to a WC with only one goal keeper? Correct your self.
A little click on your friend (google) will help you out.

What has Nigeria ever achieved at U20?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 25, 2017
Mickael2:

they are actually not that much younger. Iniesta is going to be 35, same for Defoe etc etc. Ok let me ask you, playing for the worst team in the chinese league and playing for the best team in the indonesian league which is better?

Ofcos,, still Osaze is about a year - 3 years older.
Playing for worst team in China and doing well is pretty better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 12:03pm On Jul 25, 2017
somehow:
ha! Bros, Sunday Rotimi if am not mistaken is way older than ever Ejide, why don't we call Ejide instead
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
CHAN QUALIFIER: Home-based Eagles to train twice daily

Super Eagles chief coach Salisu Yusuf has revealed to SportingLife that Home-based Eagles will be having two training session every day.

The nation’s local professional players are camping in Kano in preparation for their fifth African Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifier against Benin Republic.

Yusuf said the team will have morning and evening training which will begin at 7am and 4pm respectively.

The former Kano Pillars gaffer said the technical crew took the decision because of the limited time before their first leg encounter against Benin Republic.

The team play Benin Republic at the Stade De L’amitie in Cotonou on 13th August and return to Kano for the second leg on 19th August.

“I am happy with the turn-out of the players. They reported on Monday despite the fact that all of them played on Sunday. We will start the first training session by 7am on Tuesday and the second training by 4pm. We are here for business and I know that the players are ready too,” Yusuf told SportingLife.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 12:08pm On Jul 25, 2017
Mickael2:

Clean sheets does not equate to a GK's ability. In fact check their saves per game ratio then come back and confirm
what i wanted to correct

clean sheets might be due to good defenders and not great goalkeepers
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2017
Here’s one player Rohr may need for Super Eagles, Lions showdown

The truth be told, the Super Eagles need strikers in form to cage the Indomitable Lions in the upcoming World Cup qualifier double-header in late August and early September.

With the European season just kicking off, most of the players that Gernot Rohr would have penciled down for the encounter would just be getting into match mode, which is why it is important he considers a player like Anthony Nwakaema, who plays for Hapoel Beer Sheva in Israel.

The 28-year-old has never been considered for a call up to the Super Eagles but this is one occasion where functionality and availability should precede Rohr’s thinking. We have all heard that the German is building a young and exciting Eagles’ team – all well and good; but there are players he needs in his team, especially against Cameroon.

And one of those is Nwakaeme. After scoring 16 goals and assisting 11 times last season, he is already off the mark for his club side, who have to navigate two rounds before qualifying for the Champions League group stage, despite being champions of the Israeli League.

Hapoel got the better of Hungarian side, Budapest Honved 5-3 on aggregate on Wednesday. Nwakaeme delivered two goals and an assist in the five goals as John Ogu also got on the score sheet.

These two players have started the season early and would be in good condition to face the Indomitable Lions, who have to be dominated, at least in one of the two legs to leave the fate of qualifying for Russia solely in the team’s hands.

Watch his goals here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IG2JJvVP4

Nwakaeme is also big and burly and would suit the ‘jam-body’ tactics that are expected from the Lions. He can start from the left – from where he does his best work, supported by Odion Ighalo, who is also in good condition and scoring goals in China.

These inclusions might not suit the template that Rohr is forging but there are signs that it would get his team to Russia. After qualification has been extracted, then he can resume rebuilding the Eagles to

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:16pm On Jul 25, 2017
Ugbade: AFCON Expansion No Guarantee Super Eagles Will Qualify

Former Nigeria international Nduka Ugbade feels the increase in the number of participating countries from 16 to 24 for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon is not a guarantee that the Super Eagles will qualify, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

CAF's executive committee on Thursday decided to expand AFCON and move the calendar from January/February to June/July from the 2019 edition billed for Cameroon.

The Super Eagles failed to qualify for the last two AFCONs in 2015 and 2017 and Ugbade believes that the team will face stiff competition from other countries for a 2019 ticket.

Nigeria lost their opening qualifying match 2-0 at home to South Africa and are already playing catch-up as Libya defeated Seychelles in their group's other match.

"Expanding the number of countries will only give opportunity to everybody and not just the big teams," the 1994 AFCON winner with the Super Eagles told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"It will serve as motivation to even the small teams especially those who have never qualified for the Cup of Nations.

"I think the Super Eagles should not wait until decisions like this come up, with our history in the competition, we should always think of being among the first teams to qualify and also win it."

Ugbade went on to back CAF for shifting the AFCON from January and February to June and July.

He added: "Taking the competition to June and July is also good because it will stop the usual complaints by European clubs about releasing players. Also it will give us the opportunity to see the best African players, there wouldn't be any excuse not to attend."

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ugbade-afcon-expansion-no-guarantee-super-eagles-will-qualify/#i4eQRqx5iDQ8Fkgh.99

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:22pm On Jul 25, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Ugbade: AFCON Expansion No Guarantee Super Eagles Will Qualify

Former Nigeria international Nduka Ugbade feels the increase in the number of participating countries from 16 to 24 for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon is not a guarantee that the Super Eagles will qualify, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

CAF's executive committee on Thursday decided to expand AFCON and move the calendar from January/February to June/July from the 2019 edition billed for Cameroon.

The Super Eagles failed to qualify for the last two AFCONs in 2015 and 2017 and Ugbade believes that the team will face stiff competition from other countries for a 2019 ticket.

Nigeria lost their opening qualifying match 2-0 at home to South Africa and are already playing catch-up as Libya defeated Seychelles in their group's other match.

"Expanding the number of countries will only give opportunity to everybody and not just the big teams," the 1994 AFCON winner with the Super Eagles told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"It will serve as motivation to even the small teams especially those who have never qualified for the Cup of Nations.

"I think the Super Eagles should not wait until decisions like this come up, with our history in the competition, we should always think of being among the first teams to qualify and also win it."

Ugbade went on to back CAF for shifting the AFCON from January and February to June and July.

He added: "Taking the competition to June and July is also good because it will stop the usual complaints by European clubs about releasing players. Also it will give us the opportunity to see the best African players, there wouldn't be any excuse not to attend."

Read more at http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ugbade-afcon-expansion-no-guarantee-super-eagles-will-qualify/#i4eQRqx5iDQ8Fkgh.99

Off course naa. It doesn't also guarantee that South Africa will qualify. 5 more games to play. A lot is at stake.

It has only BOOSTED Nigeria's chance of qualifying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2017
kingphilip:
what i wanted to correct

clean sheets might be due to good defenders and not great goalkeepers

That's why I have opined that a good midfield and defense can make up for an average goalie.

Not that I am satisfied with Akpeyi but that is not our major problem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 1:14pm On Jul 25, 2017
Orlando Pirates Goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel Set To replace Sick Ikeme
mobile.nigeriasoccernet.com Jul 25, 2017 9:51 AM
A top source in the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has confirmed plans by the coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr to invite Orlando Pirates goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel for the games against Cameroon in August and September.

Daniel is widely tipped to be the first choice goalkeeper at South Africa Premier Soccer League Side Orlando Pirates next season , the team he moved to from Enugu Rangers last summer.

As exclusively reported by this portal last week, the source at the NFF confirmed the coach will no doubt call up Pirates shot stopper Emmanuel Daniel to battle the home based goalkeepers for a spot in the team.

” Yes Daniel is in consideration, but for now focus is on the home based goalkeepers, Daniel will be invited for the Cameroon game. Rohr knows a lot about him and obviously likes him a lot”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Look there’s no goalkeeper crisis in the Super Eagles. The media is just making a fuss out of Carl Ikeme ‘s absence, yes he is the first choice goalkeeper, and most certainly he will be missed but it doesn’t mean we don’t have a replacement”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:16pm On Jul 25, 2017
Yes but at his age I'm emphasizing that what's most important is money before his impending retirement.

do4luv14:

and he will still bang in goals there,
he isn't finished yet, if not for westbrom, and stoke city
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:26pm On Jul 25, 2017
Alloy Agu shouldn't even be the coach at all. Nigerians just have this weird idea that being an ex goalkeeper automatically makes you a goalkeeper trainer! To me, that's BS. You don't have to be a former goalkeeper to be goalkeeper trainer, the same way you don't necessarily have to be an ex football player to be a coach.

But if we must chose an ex goalkeeper then why not start with Peter Rufia? He was a much better goalkeeper than Alloy Agu, played at the high levels longer than him, and even played in Europe unlike Alloy Agu. Hence, Rufia has the advantage of being trained by some of the best coaches in the game. Same with Ike Shorunmo.

O pari

Humility017:

you see that alloy agu of a coach....
he still does not know his job description
he should be dropped for ike shorumbu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:30pm On Jul 25, 2017
Finally! I have been making that call since Rohr came onboard. I think it's outrageous to make Akpeyi our second choice goalkeeper when we have Emmanuel Daniel who has proven that he's better than Akpeyi. Anyway, good move by NFF. Better late than never, right?

And in addition, I believe that Austin Ejide ought to be invited to the camp as well. To me, after Enyeama, it would be Ejide. I rate him on par with Carl Ikeme.

O pari

EEGA:
Orlando Pirates Goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel Set To replace Sick Ikeme
mobile.nigeriasoccernet.com Jul 25, 2017 9:51 AM
A top source in the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has confirmed plans by the coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr to invite Orlando Pirates goalkeeper Emmanuel Daniel for the games against Cameroon in August and September.

Daniel is widely tipped to be the first choice goalkeeper at South Africa Premier Soccer League Side Orlando Pirates next season , the team he moved to from Enugu Rangers last summer.

As exclusively reported by this portal last week, the source at the NFF confirmed the coach will no doubt call up Pirates shot stopper Emmanuel Daniel to battle the home based goalkeepers for a spot in the team.

” Yes Daniel is in consideration, but for now focus is on the home based goalkeepers, Daniel will be invited for the Cameroon game. Rohr knows a lot about him and obviously likes him a lot”, he told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” Look there’s no goalkeeper crisis in the Super Eagles. The media is just making a fuss out of Carl Ikeme ‘s absence, yes he is the first choice goalkeeper, and most certainly he will be missed but it doesn’t mean we don’t have a replacement”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:31pm On Jul 25, 2017
Babe, tell them! grin grin

O pari

safarigirl:
LOL, we are not that desperate

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:33pm On Jul 25, 2017
If clean sheet doesn't matter, is it saves that I don't no where to go to check that should matter? Are you saying Enyimba defense is worse than that of the top 5 clubs of these clean sheet goalies?
Mickael2:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 1:34pm On Jul 25, 2017
We seem to be occupied with goal keeping department when there are other areas to really focus on. What happened to playing total football, where ur opponents sre forced to chase after balls? A brand of football where we determine it's pace and possession. We should be more concerned with harmonising communication btw the defence, midfield and the attack. We should focus more on gelling as a team as against fielding supposed best legs. Best legs dont win a match, a team does! I make bold to say that with no goalkeeper in between the posts, we can still beat any opposition if we have a team and i mean this both realistically and sarcastically too. (Delete whichever is inapplicable)

What Bafana capitalized on is the lack of gel in our team. Their coach said it and it was exactly what happened. We didnt gel as a team. A cursory look at the friendlies leading to the match shows that Rohr experimented too much instead of fielding his starting 11 for the game ahead. The game against togo had him fooled. The result is there for all to see. Check our passes in the game, our ball possession. How quickly we lost it. If the match had been an away match, I think we would have fared better because the pressure will obviously now be on Bafana. We played a team that lacked cohesion and thus were under a lot of pressure. Goal keeper wasnt at his best because of this same issue. Our supposed midfield couldnt string 3 to 4 straight passes without it being intercepted. Not to mention that our coach too goofed big time in tactics, positioning and substitutions of his players. So the less we talk about goalkeeper the beta. We dont need a good goalkeeper to win. We need good strikers , midfielders and defenders that know their job. Thats what wins a match. For all i care we might as well not field any goal keeper so long as you put the right players in the right positions and they are a team.we have watched matches wherein goal keepers were largely on holiday all thru.( only called upon to take goal kicks)

Cameroon that we talk about are only big but not skilfull. Or at least not as skilful as our team. If we play intelligently, we can cash in on their reckless tackles. 2 red cards and that is it. We are in control. Hence bottomline is we need to decide what is important and stick to it.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1222) (1223) (1224) (1225) (1226) (1227) (1228) ... (16120) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: sureleads, humility33(m), foxman04, dankorode(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.