Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,503 members, 7,819,826 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1228) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11696735 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1225) (1226) (1227) (1228) (1229) (1230) (1231) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:34pm On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

I'm sure he's not happy with himself too. Made the wrong gamble and it blew up right in his face.

Yeah.

He needs to worry about his whole couching staff too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:42pm On Jul 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You have received the answer, but still want to argue. Akpeyi made the wrong choice of not taking down the player and getting sent off. One nil down and we are still in the game.
With 3 mins left on the clock you expect magic when we couldn't hit a shot on target all game long?

Are you seriously trying to make me belive that you haven't witnessed a team conceeding a goal towards the end of a gear while they go in search for an equaliser?
The same scenario played out. Dont know why Akepyi is being held responsible while nobody held Ikeme responsible, same scenario.

I wonder why nobody blamed Ikeme for the goal Egypt scored in Kaduna. It was almost the same scenario we had with Mo' Salah. Why didn't Ikeme come out and collect red? Akepyi even managed to come out and challenge but Ikeme sat on his arse.

Unless you guys have a beef outside football with Akpeyi which I don't know about. Its mental to hold him response for that goal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:46pm On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

With 3 mins left on the clock you expect magic when we couldn't hit a shot on target all game long?

Are you seriously trying to make me belive that you haven't witnessed a team conceeding a goal towards the end of a gear while they go in search for an equaliser?
The same scenario played out. Dont know why Akepyi is being held responsible.

I wonder why nobody blamed Ikeme for the goal Egypt scored in Kaduna. It was almost the same scenario we had with Mo' Salah. Why didn't Ikeme come out and collect red? Akepyi even managed to come out and challenge but Ikeme sat on his arse.

Unless you guys have a beef outside football with Akpeyi which I don't know about. Its mental to hold him response for that goal.

Long story. Simple, Akpeyi made the wrong choice not to take the South African down. What concern Ikeme in this one?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

The same scenario played out. Dont know why Akepyi is being held responsible.

@ your last paragraph. The real reason is he wants Alampasu to be in goal. Thats all. And you know how far this my pal can go to defend the interest of any player he loves.

TheGoodJoe come beat me I dey my house. Lozz!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Long story. Simple, Akpeyi made the wrong choice not to take the South African down. What concern Ikeme in this one?

Ikeme against Egypt in Kaduna. You know, against Salah at the last moment in the game, one on one like Akpeyi etc? You seriously don't remember? Selective memory perhaps?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:53pm On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

Ikeme against Egypt in Kaduna. You know, against Salah at the last moment in the game, one on one like Akpeyi etc? You seriously don't remember? Selective memory perhaps?

What of Enyeama against Rantie for the second goal in 2014.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:03pm On Jul 25, 2017
terzurum5:

Komekn come and take this boy to Europe. Please not allow him to waste away.

Seems exceptional talent how old is he?

He looks under 16 to me.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:05pm On Jul 25, 2017
junnyjake:

Manchester United played against Portsmouth in Kano, I think 2008.

That's history near 10 years ago.

Present continous things have moved on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:13pm On Jul 25, 2017
komekn:

That's history near 10 years ago.

Present continous things have moved on.

and the match was played in ABUJA not kano

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:19pm On Jul 25, 2017
tbaba1234:
Forget Ighalo, even in his best scoring season, he was not that good for naija. I even prefer Ideye.

Sadiq Umar, Onuachu and Osimhen are the future. We also have Kayode who can do a job now.

I disagree they are the potential future but currently they have not arrived.

Ighalo is proven and tested he may have had a barren period but it seems he is coming back.

I watched Ribery, Defoe, Alves and Ibrahimovic are currently top world class players. They are right at the top in world football, shockingly they are all over 34 years old.

They are not the past but the very present top class future.

If they were Nigerian we would have denigrated them and thrown them on the scrap heap. Just like what we have done and are doing with Obagoal, Ideye and Ighalo to mention a few.

The question is are these youth players who have not even played a full season of professional top flight football better Currently than our experienced and tested top players

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:37pm On Jul 25, 2017
Icon4s:

@ your last paragraph. The real reason is he wants Alampasu to be in goal. Thats all. And you know how far this my pal can go to defend the interest of any player he loves.

I want the best keeper in goal. I am rooting for Alampasu because I feel he is the best. I want Emma Daniel, Alampasu and others screened and the best selected.

I just explained this not long ago. Leave bias in any form. Select the best after careful consideration. Not experience or because you like the player. Screen and select the best. I have said this for too long.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:42pm On Jul 25, 2017
Icon4s:

I honestly don't believe goalkeeper is our biggest problem. I am more interested in the outfield playing personnel and strategy. I really have sympathy for Akpeyi,its unfortunate people have made up their minds about him and there's no going back for them.

Rohr seems to be the kind of manager who pays attention to psychology, which explained why he dropped Omeruo. I guess the new Gk trainer was brought in to psych up the GKs, especially since Nigerians have opted to run them down for reasons best known to them.

If Akpeyi proves his nerves are made of steel, then he starts.
As simple as that.

People clamouring for Emmanuel Daniel are misinformed. That guy have not played competitive football for about 1 year. It will be a joke if the Nff invite an unproven, inactive keeper for our biggest game of the year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

I honestly don't believe goalkeeper is our biggest problem. I am more interested in the outfield playing personnel and strategy. I really have sympathy for Akpeyi,its unfortunate people have made up their minds about him and there's no going back for them.

Rohr seems to be the kind of manager who pays attention to psychology, which explained why he dropped Omeruo. I guess the new Gk trainer was brought in to psych up the GKs, especially since Nigerians have opted to run them down for reasons best known to them.

As simple as that.

People clamouring for Emmanuel Daniel are misinformed. That guy have not played competitive football for about 1 year. It will be a joke if the Nff invite an unproven, inactive keeper for our biggest game of the year.

I repeat. Irrespective of club, position in club or experience. Using not playing competitive football is bringing in bias. If a player plays competitive football week in week out and one on the bench is better, then, we pick the better one.

All these other option than selecting the best is to bring in bias. Bring Emma Daniel to camp, if he flops in camp drop him. If he outshines the others play him.

Finish. Very simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:51pm On Jul 25, 2017
Fulop was on the bench in one of the clubs in the EPL when Mancini brought him to City during a keeper crisis. Without playing time, Fulop was brilliant for City. Caballero was on the bench when Guardiola brought him in he excelled.

Select the best. No need for bias.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:11pm On Jul 25, 2017
goldfish80:

As simple as that.

And I have repeatedly said it that a good midfield and defense make up for an average goalie.

Shorunmu has said it all. But some still no agree. Na dem sabi o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 11:09pm On Jul 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Fulop was on the bench in one of the clubs in the EPL when Mancini brought him to City during a keeper crisis. Without playing time, Fulop was brilliant for City. Caballero was on the bench when Guardiola brought him in he excelled.

Select the best. No need for bias.

One thing you should get Mr Rohr didn't believe in alamapasu to man the post ....the way pep didn't believe in nacho... The hand writing is already on the wall for everybody to see...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:15pm On Jul 25, 2017
Lol lets not crucify Akpeyi. He was not the SOLE reason for the loss. However, I've never been confident in him. He could be the SOLE reason tomorrow. He is not reliable enough. Simple. For those who love him to be between the sticks, watch as he will be fizzled out very soon. Lol

goldfish80:

The same scenario played out. Dont know why Akepyi is being held responsible while nobody held Ikeme responsible, same scenario.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:18pm On Jul 25, 2017
And the hand writing will definitely change. If Gabriel Jesus and co had not delivered, Pep will have been forced to fall back to the rejected stone. In this case the truth is we have options. Watch and see what Rohr is about to do.

soetanoreoluwa:

One thing you should get Mr Rohr didn't believe in alamapasu to man the post ....the way pep didn't believe in nacho... The hand writing is already on the wall for everybody to see...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:24pm On Jul 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I repeat. Irrespective of club, position in club or experience. Using not playing competitive football is bringing in bias. If a player plays competitive football week in week out and one on the bench is better, then, we pick the better one.

All these other option than selecting the best is to bring in bias. Bring Emma Daniel to camp, if he flops in camp drop him. If he outshines the others play him.

Finish. Very simple.

I dont know if youre saying this just for banter sake or you just made this statement for the shock value, but whichever one it is, clearly it not one of your better finest comments. I cant believe you would want to trust a guy who is allien to this level to man the post in such a big game knowing fully well he haven't seen proper league action for a 1yr. Is the super eagles that joke of a team which every Tom, D*** and Harry is invited to come try out??
This was how we nearly capped a fella from the English 7th division.

If Ghana and South Africans call us super chickens ,you will be offended but look at what you just typed. Honestly speaking, I will rather goto war with Dele Aiyenugba who played more than 32games for his Isreali team last year (i think hes the captain of the team) than this desperate move for Emma Daniel.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:28pm On Jul 25, 2017
The latest is he is under consideration by Rohr.

Our GK is our biggest problem in terms o personnel because we can't beat our chest and say we have a good replacement for Ikeme, since we know Enyeama. For the other positions we can at least mention names with confidence. Just when I was thinking we need to recall Emenike he banged in a goal today. Looking at his record he has never been that high scoring forward at the club level, but has hardly dissapointed in a high profile match for SE.

Talking about tactics etc is another topic. But Nigeria deserves a better keeper than Akpeyi. We are bigger than that. I know we have that keeper if we give them a chance. Akpeyi is not even feared in South Africa, where he plays. Are u kidding me?

goldfish80:

As simple as that.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:34pm On Jul 25, 2017
I agree. The best should be in post

We have seen inexperienced keepers make their mark in big games. Call the psychologists to assertain if that keeper is ready for the big, and if he is, why not?
TheGoodJoe:

I want the best keeper in goal. I am rooting for Alampasu because I feel he is the best. I want Emma Daniel, Alampasu and others screened and the best selected.

I just explained this not long ago. Leave bias in any form. Select the best after careful consideration. Not experience or because you like the player. Screen and select the best. I have said this for too long.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:39pm On Jul 25, 2017
If they are still scoring, why not? But my point is they should not start based on past glory. Let them still do the battle in camp. Hiwever our youths should be allowed to develop, just like Iwobi is getting hia chance at Arsenal. It will pay off big time in future.

komekn:

I disagree they are the potential future but currently they have not arrived.

Ighalo is proven and tested he may have had a barren period but it seems he is coming back.

I watched Ribery, Defoe, Alves and Ibrahimovic are currently top world class players. They are right at the top in world football, shockingly they are all over 34 years old.

They are not the past but the very present top class future.

If they were Nigerian we would have denigrated them and thrown them on the scrap heap. Just like what we have done and are doing with Obagoal, Ideye and Ighalo to mention a few.

The question is are these youth players who have not even played a full season of professional top flight football better Currently than our experienced and tested top players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:44pm On Jul 25, 2017
Joebie:
Lol lets not crucify Akpeyi. He was not the SOLE reason for the loss. However, I've never been confident in him. He could be the SOLE reason tomorrow. He is not reliable enough. Simple. For those who love him to be between the sticks, watch as he will be fizzled out very soon. Lol

I am not of the opinion that Akpeyi is a world class goalkeeper. I cant delude myself into believing that. I think hes an OK keeper, I mean look at his record when he played in the npfl, he was one of the best we had in the league. I recall he was Heartlands !st choice goalkeeper during their run to the finals of the champions league. He was pretty solid alongside Ike Thankgod and Chinedu Effugh at the back. Ezennwa was his number 2 at the time.

If he was as bad a goalkeeper as you all are making him out to be, I wonder how he managed to get to this level. Most of the Npfl goalkeepers can only dream of getting their team to the caf champions league finals.

Even if we must crucify him, lets wait until such a time he does that rather than cook up false accusations just to nail him.

Shorunmu have said something about this guy and trust me, IKe shorumu knows him very well from his days as a national team trainer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ekele99(m): 11:58pm On Jul 25, 2017
why is Nigerian league not like others
click here to comment
http://www.wealth9ja.com.ng/p/blog-page_25.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:05am On Jul 26, 2017
Joebie:
If they are still scoring, why not? But my point is they should not start based on past glory. Let them still do the battle in camp. Hiwever our youths should be allowed to develop, just like Iwobi is getting hia chance at Arsenal. It will pay off big time in future.

There are two camps for me.

The first is the proving camp of your football club where you are day in and day out. After you have proven yourself in your club that becomes the justification for invitation to the SE set up.

The SE camp is where strategy, tactics and team plans are established. You have limited time to assess the players most times you will hardly get up to 10 days in camp when the football season is in session.

It is not the place of player discovery or individual player experimentation. For that reason we should be inviting Obagoal, Ideye, Ighalo and Anichebe to camp.

For them to confirm thier pedigree not to discover it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:23am On Jul 26, 2017
Joebie:
The latest is he is under consideration by Rohr.

Our GK is our biggest problem in terms o personnel because we can't beat our chest and say we have a good replacement for Ikeme, since we know Enyeama. For the other positions we can at least mention names with confidence. Just when I was thinking we need to recall Emenike he banged in a goal today. Looking at his record he has never been that high scoring forward at the club level, but has hardly dissapointed in a high profile match for SE.

Talking about tactics etc is another topic. But Nigeria deserves a better keeper than Akpeyi. We are bigger than that. I know we have that keeper if we give them a chance. Akpeyi is not even feared in South Africa, where he plays. Are u kidding me?

Which of our keepers is feared? Even Ikeme was just recently promoted as Wolves first keeper. He used to be Wayne hennesey's Lieutenant for a good number of years till Wayne left for Crystal Palace. HE is not considered one of the best in the Championship.
Abi Vincente Enyeama? he has been laid off by Lille as things stand.HE is surplus to requirements to Bielsa.

To be honest, sometimes I don't understand our big time charly attitude. We have to come down from our high horse and face reality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:31am On Jul 26, 2017
Ifeanyi stumble at home and other NPFL Hot Takes

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

There were great goals aplenty this past weekend in the Nigeria Professional Football League, and MFM FC striker Stephen Odey extended his dominance at the top of the goal charts.

But the weekend's biggest talking point came from Nnewi, where FC Ifeanyi Ubah not only lost their 100 percent home win record, but came close to losing all three points against relegation-threatened Gombe United.

Here's a look at that, as well as a few other talking points from game week 31.

IFEANYI UBAH LOSE HOME INVINCIBILITY

Two years after their stadium was opened, FC Ifeanyi Ubah have finally lost their home invincibility, to relegation strugglers no less.

Supporters of FC Ifeanyi Ubah describe stadium in Nnewi as The Fortress. And so they should. The club had won every single game played there to date. Until Gombe United came calling on Sunday.

Such was the confidence the club had in their home ground, and their under-estimation of the visitors, that leading striker Godwin Obaje was given the weekend off to get married.

It all started well for the hosts. Two superb free kicks from Isaac Loute helped them race into a two-goal lead in the first half, with the potential for even more.

But the visitors flipped the script in the second half, as Sanni Abanni and former Ifeanyi Ubah player Austin Oladapo bagged the goals to draw level.

But the drama did not end there. With the board going up to signal five additional minutes, the home side pushed forward for the winner, only to leave themselves exposed at the back. Gombe duly took advantage, launching a deadly counter attack that ended in a low cross and a tap in.

But, the referee called time on the match at the very moment the ball was about to be tapped into the net, and with two minutes of the added time still to be played.

SUNSHINE RISE OFF BOTTOM OF TABLE

It was not so long ago that Sunshine looked all but condemned to relegation, especially after losing a winnable home game.

But four wins from five, including a road win at Rivers United and Sunday's slim win over El Kanemi, catapulted the Akure Gunners all the way up to the relative safety of 11th position on the log.

It is a remarkable turnaround for Duke Udi's men and represents a win for the positive spirit that the former Super Eagle has maintained since taking over the job from Austin Eguavoen.

Sunshine now only need to win three of their remaining seven games to be safe.

RIVERS UNITED RESPOND TO ULTIMATUM

Rivers United coach Stanley Eguma had been under pressure in recent weeks, even more so after his side's midweek home loss to Sunshine Stars.

After a crisis meeting called by the team owners, Eguma was subsequently issued with an ultimatum: Win the next few games or face sanctions.

His players responded admirably to the challenge, putting three goals past fellow strugglers Wikki Tourists on Sunday.

For a team that rarely scores more than a goal a game, and had never cracked the three-goal ceiling all season, it appears the ultimatum was a good way to shock the squad to a worthy performance.

AKWA UNITED SHOW GRIT

Since overcoming their early troubles to turn their season around, Akwa United have continued to show remarkable character as they chase for a place in the top three.

Nasarawa United, who claimed a road win at Sunshine Stars last weekend, looked on course for another shock result when Aminu Kadir put them went in front before half time.

But Ubong Friday netted his seventh of the season to level things at the break and it was left to Christian Pyagbara to secure the win with a superb combination of team effort and individual brilliance in the second half.

The Promise Keepers stayed third on the log and with a game in hand, could well be on their way to a CAF Champions League spot.

LMC MEDICAL WORKS

The victory song of the Shooting Stars' 1-0 win over hard fighting Enyimba FC was almost marred by an awkward collapse of stand-in skipper Sylvanus Ebiaku midway into the exciting encounter.

Ebiaku had gone in with a sweeping tackle against a rampaging opponent but landed on his head and passed out. The sudden and unusual gesticulations of few players around the area attracted the referee's attention to Ebiaku's prone body.

The incident prompted the arrival of combined medics and ambulance who resuscitated him to a conscious state before he was drove out in the ambulance for further medical attention.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3164535/ifeanyi-stumble-at-home-and-other-npfl-hot-takes

Completely disgusted by the bolded. The government should intervene in this matter because some refs and officials want to keep our league in the stone age.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:34am On Jul 26, 2017
Alhassan Ibrahim will be out a month with an hamstring injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:46am On Jul 26, 2017
Six NPFL refs listed for suspension
by George Akpayen 25 July 2017, 23:55

Six referees in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) have been recommended for suspension by the League Management Company (LMC).

The LMC, which oversee the running of the league, explained that the six referees "failed to meet up with the high standard expected in the NPFL and made decisions which were obviously wrong."

Umar Mohammed, Aliyu Abdullahi, Saleh Mohammed and Samuel Agba are referees recommended to the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) by the LMC for suspension.
Assistant referees Emmanuel Udoh and Felagha Awudoola complete the list.

"The said referees failed to meet up with the high standard expected in the NPFL and made decisions which were obviously wrong and which had a direct impact on the outcome of the matches.

"We therefore request that they be withdrawn from consideration for future NPFL matches, pending a full investigation into their performances," the LMC wrote to the NFF in a letter on Tuesday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:49am On Jul 26, 2017
Emanuel Eminike scored for Olympiakos in the champions league playoffs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:02am On Jul 26, 2017
Kennysville, I don't wanna cuss you out but your post makes you sound like a full-time mugu or someone who has never smelled the four corners of a soccer pitch in his life. Who in his right mind would underestimate the importance of a solid goalkeeper to a team. Anyway, I am in a charitable mood today so let me educate you a little.

First, the goalkeeper is your last and MOST important defender. Your entire defenceline is crap if you don't have a solid goalkeeper. As a matter of fact, a poor goalkeeper would even make even the best defenders in the world play with zero confidence. Jamaica just upsets the powerhouse Mexico in the Gold Cup yesterday. In yesterday's game, the only area Jamaica was superior to Mexico was in the goalkeeping department. Mexico has them on the rope the entire game, but their goalkeeper kept them in the game until Jamaica had a free kick toward the end of the game and capitalized.

And I can go on and on to list the teams that won matches based solely on the heroics of their goalkeeper, but I don't have the time. Right now, what I have to tell you is that the goalkeeper is the most important position in the game.

O pari

kennysville:
We seem to be occupied with goal keeping department when there are other areas to really focus on. What happened to playing total football, where ur opponents sre forced to chase after balls? A brand of football where we determine it's pace and possession. We should be more concerned with harmonising communication btw the defence, midfield and the attack. We should focus more on gelling as a team as against fielding supposed best legs. Best legs dont win a match, a team does! I make bold to say that with no goalkeeper in between the posts, we can still beat any opposition if we have a team and i mean this both realistically and sarcastically too. (Delete whichever is inapplicable)

What Bafana capitalized on is the lack of gel in our team. Their coach said it and it was exactly what happened. We didnt gel as a team. A cursory look at the friendlies leading to the match shows that Rohr experimented too much instead of fielding his starting 11 for the game ahead. The game against togo had him fooled. The result is there for all to see. Check our passes in the game, our ball possession. How quickly we lost it. If the match had been an away match, I think we would have fared better because the pressure will obviously now be on Bafana. We played a team that lacked cohesion and thus were under a lot of pressure. Goal keeper wasnt at his best because of this same issue. Our supposed midfield couldnt string 3 to 4 straight passes without it being intercepted. Not to mention that our coach too goofed big time in tactics, positioning and substitutions of his players. So the less we talk about goalkeeper the beta. We dont need a good goalkeeper to win. We need good strikers , midfielders and defenders that know their job. Thats what wins a match. For all i care we might as well not field any goal keeper so long as you put the right players in the right positions and they are a team.we have watched matches wherein goal keepers were largely on holiday all thru.( only called upon to take goal kicks)

Cameroon that we talk about are only big but not skilfull. Or at least not as skilful as our team. If we play intelligently, we can cash in on their reckless tackles. 2 red cards and that is it. We are in control. Hence bottomline is we need to decide what is important and stick to it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1225) (1226) (1227) (1228) (1229) (1230) (1231) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.