Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,468 members, 7,954,831 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 10:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1229) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12457429 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1226) (1227) (1228) (1229) (1230) (1231) (1232) ... (16690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lordabas: 7:52am On Jul 26, 2017
Iheanacho to be announced as a leicester player today
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:18am On Jul 26, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Ifeanyi stumble at home and other NPFL Hot Takes

Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

There were great goals aplenty this past weekend in the Nigeria Professional Football League, and MFM FC striker Stephen Odey extended his dominance at the top of the goal charts.

But the weekend's biggest talking point came from Nnewi, where FC Ifeanyi Ubah not only lost their 100 percent home win record, but came close to losing all three points against relegation-threatened Gombe United.

Here's a look at that, as well as a few other talking points from game week 31.

IFEANYI UBAH LOSE HOME INVINCIBILITY

Two years after their stadium was opened, FC Ifeanyi Ubah have finally lost their home invincibility, to relegation strugglers no less.

Supporters of FC Ifeanyi Ubah describe stadium in Nnewi as The Fortress. And so they should. The club had won every single game played there to date. Until Gombe United came calling on Sunday.

Such was the confidence the club had in their home ground, and their under-estimation of the visitors, that leading striker Godwin Obaje was given the weekend off to get married.

It all started well for the hosts. Two superb free kicks from Isaac Loute helped them race into a two-goal lead in the first half, with the potential for even more.

But the visitors flipped the script in the second half, as Sanni Abanni and former Ifeanyi Ubah player Austin Oladapo bagged the goals to draw level.

But the drama did not end there. With the board going up to signal five additional minutes, the home side pushed forward for the winner, only to leave themselves exposed at the back. Gombe duly took advantage, launching a deadly counter attack that ended in a low cross and a tap in.

But, the referee called time on the match at the very moment the ball was about to be tapped into the net, and with two minutes of the added time still to be played.

SUNSHINE RISE OFF BOTTOM OF TABLE

It was not so long ago that Sunshine looked all but condemned to relegation, especially after losing a winnable home game.

But four wins from five, including a road win at Rivers United and Sunday's slim win over El Kanemi, catapulted the Akure Gunners all the way up to the relative safety of 11th position on the log.

It is a remarkable turnaround for Duke Udi's men and represents a win for the positive spirit that the former Super Eagle has maintained since taking over the job from Austin Eguavoen.

Sunshine now only need to win three of their remaining seven games to be safe.

RIVERS UNITED RESPOND TO ULTIMATUM

Rivers United coach Stanley Eguma had been under pressure in recent weeks, even more so after his side's midweek home loss to Sunshine Stars.

After a crisis meeting called by the team owners, Eguma was subsequently issued with an ultimatum: Win the next few games or face sanctions.

His players responded admirably to the challenge, putting three goals past fellow strugglers Wikki Tourists on Sunday.

For a team that rarely scores more than a goal a game, and had never cracked the three-goal ceiling all season, it appears the ultimatum was a good way to shock the squad to a worthy performance.

AKWA UNITED SHOW GRIT

Since overcoming their early troubles to turn their season around, Akwa United have continued to show remarkable character as they chase for a place in the top three.

Nasarawa United, who claimed a road win at Sunshine Stars last weekend, looked on course for another shock result when Aminu Kadir put them went in front before half time.

But Ubong Friday netted his seventh of the season to level things at the break and it was left to Christian Pyagbara to secure the win with a superb combination of team effort and individual brilliance in the second half.

The Promise Keepers stayed third on the log and with a game in hand, could well be on their way to a CAF Champions League spot.

LMC MEDICAL WORKS

The victory song of the Shooting Stars' 1-0 win over hard fighting Enyimba FC was almost marred by an awkward collapse of stand-in skipper Sylvanus Ebiaku midway into the exciting encounter.

Ebiaku had gone in with a sweeping tackle against a rampaging opponent but landed on his head and passed out. The sudden and unusual gesticulations of few players around the area attracted the referee's attention to Ebiaku's prone body.

The incident prompted the arrival of combined medics and ambulance who resuscitated him to a conscious state before he was drove out in the ambulance for further medical attention.

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3164535/ifeanyi-stumble-at-home-and-other-npfl-hot-takes

Completely disgusted by the bolded. The government should intervene in this matter because some refs and officials want to keep our league in the stone age.
Earlier in the season against Rangers in Nnewi. Rangers scored a beautiful goal from a free kick which was ruled out and 2 dubious penalties were awarded to Ifeanyi Uba, they missed one and scored the second one. 1 nil to Ifeanyi Uba.. Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 8:24am On Jul 26, 2017
Icon79:
Kennysville, I don't wanna cuss you out but your post makes you sound like a full-time mugu or someone who has never smelled the four corners of a soccer pitch in his life. Who in his right mind would underestimate the importance of a solid goalkeeper to a team. Anyway, I am in a charitable mood today so let me educate you a little.

First, the goalkeeper is your last and MOST important defender. Your entire defenceline is crap if you don't have a solid goalkeeper. As a matter of fact, a poor goalkeeper would even make even the best defenders in the world play with zero confidence. Jamaica just upsets the powerhouse Mexico in the Gold Cup yesterday. In yesterday's game, the only area Jamaica was superior to Mexico was in the goalkeeping department. Mexico has them on the rope the entire game, but their goalkeeper kept them in the game until Jamaica had a free kick toward the end of the game and capitalized.

And I can go on and on to list the teams that won matches based solely on the heroics of their goalkeeper, but I don't have the time. Right now, what I have to tell you is that the goalkeeper is the most important position in the game.

O pari

First of all, I will appreciate a little bit of courtesy when addressing issues. Calling me mugu in whatever disguise, shape or fashion is highly unacceptable. Nairaland forum shouldnt be a place to display how good you are at cussin'!

That said, its up to you what you consider as important to you. I stated mine and i advanced reasons as to why i believe so. In this lifetime, we have seen matches where goalkeepers got red carded after all 3 substitutions have been made. Heavens did not fall.

And dont forget, 2 can play that game! Nuff said

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:09am On Jul 26, 2017
Ikeme Just recently promoted? Lol.. Enyeama now surplus to requirement? You seem to have forgotten Enyeama's fine record in Ligue 1 in recent seasons. Please can we even boast of Akpeyi at any point in history, besides one or two good showings? It's unfortunate you like to defend the average. For me, Nigeria can do far better in that department. Let's not go too far, lets learn from neighbors Cameroon.

goldfish80:

Which of our keepers is feared? Even Ikeme was just recently promoted as Wolves first keeper. He used to be Wayne hennesey's Lieutenant for a good number of years till Wayne left for Crystal Palace. HE is not considered one of the best in the Championship.
Abi Vincente Enyeama? he has been laid off by Lille as things stand.HE is surplus to requirements to Bielsa.

To be honest, sometimes I don't understand our big time charly attitude. We have to come down from our high horse and face reality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:13am On Jul 26, 2017
Dem no be U17 players when we dey try discover Na. For me camp is to pick the best. It's a time for comparison as regards who can play best to match strategy etc.

komekn:

There are two camps for me.

The first is the proving camp of your football club where you are day in and day out. After you have proven yourself in your club that becomes the justification for invitation to the SE set up.

The SE camp is where strategy, tactics and team plans are established. You have limited time to assess the players most times you will hardly get up to 10 days in camp when the football season is in session.

It is not the place of player discovery or individual player experimentation. For that reason we should be inviting Obagoal, Ideye, Ighalo and Anichebe to camp.

For them to confirm thier pedigree not to discover it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:18am On Jul 26, 2017
My whole point is Nigeria can do better than an "OK" keeper. I'm 100% confident that we have at least two better keepers out there.

goldfish80:

I am not of the opinion that Akpeyi is a world class goalkeeper. I cant delude myself into believing that. I think hes an OK keeper, I mean look at his record when he played in the npfl, he was one of the best we had in the league. I recall he was Heartlands !st choice goalkeeper during their run to the finals of the champions league. He was pretty solid alongside Ike Thankgod and Chinedu Effugh at the back. Ezennwa was his number 2 at the time.

If he was as bad a goalkeeper as you all are making him out to be, I wonder how he managed to get to this level. Most of the Npfl goalkeepers can only dream of getting their team to the caf champions league finals.

Even if we must crucify him, lets wait until such a time he does that rather than cook up false accusations just to nail him.

Shorunmu have said something about this guy and trust me, IKe shorumu knows him very well from his days as a national team trainer.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:33am On Jul 26, 2017
Lol just read that about 5 NPFL officials were sanctioned by LMC.

What they really need is a point system for every bad call that manipulates the outcome of a game. These referees should be banned for at least a season. A second ban should be a career ban.

But hey it's a Nigerian problem. Think about how many judges, police, public official etc deserves a life ban. With our mentality, it's always going to be a problem. No where in the world is perfect, but Nigeria is a lost cause.

goldfish80:

Earlier in the season against Rangers in Nnewi. Rangers scored a beautiful goal from a free kick which was ruled out and 2 dubious penalties were awarded to Ifeanyi Uba, they missed one and scored the second one. 1 nil to Ifeanyi Uba.. Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:36am On Jul 26, 2017
Joebie:
Ikeme Just recently promoted? Lol.. Enyeama now surplus to requirement? You seem to have forgotten Enyeama's fine record in Ligue 1 in recent seasons. Please can we even boast of Akpeyi at any point in history, besides one or two good showings? It's unfortunate you like to defend the average. For me, Nigeria can do far better in that department. Let's not go too far, lets learn from neighbors Cameroon.

Ikeme became the first choice goalkeeper for Wolves in the 2013 season. Mind you, this guy is 31 years old. He only became first choice for his club at 28.
In England, he is considered average who has had a fair share of his own gaffes down the years. You can see some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbX3vYoMf5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3r7wwvEYkM

Even last season he had a few shockers. You may not know this because you don't follow the English championship but that's the reality. Ikeme is not world class like some have been thinking. His case have become absence making the heart grow fonder.

The goals he conceeded against Zambia and Egypt are just identical to the ones Akpeyi considered. But people want to kill Akpeyi.

We have to be real, we don't have any proper world class goalkeeper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:07am On Jul 26, 2017
goldfish80:

Ikeme became the first choice goalkeeper for Wolves in the 2013 season. Mind you, this guy is 31 years old. He only became first choice for his club at 28.
In England, he is considered average who has had a fair share of his own gaffes down the years. You can see some of them.

Even last season he had a few shockers. You may not know this because you don't follow the English championship but that's the reality. Ikeme is not world class like some have been thinking. His case have become absence making the heart grow fonder.

The goals he conceeded against Zambia and Egypt are just identical to the ones Akpeyi considered. But people want to kill Akpeyi.

Thank you so much Sir Goldfish80
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:11am On Jul 26, 2017
Hotshot Odey steps in for CHAN Eagles

By Samm Audu -
July 25, 2017

NPFL hotshot Stephen Odey has finally joined the CHAN Eagles training camp in Kano this evening just after the team’s dinner.

MFM FC striker has netted 18 goals in only his second season in the top flight and he told SCORENigeria he encountered a flight delay from his base in Lagos.

He will now be part of the team’s morning training session after he missed today’s shift.

Goalkeepers’ trainer Alloy Agu has also teamed up with the squad after also encountering a flight hitch.

In the meantime, Rivers United midfielder Emeka Atuloma has quit the Eagles camp in Kano to be part of a rescheduled NPFL tie at home against Akwa United tomorrow.

Four Akwa United players called up to this camp have also stayed put at their club for the match in Port Harcourt.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/25/hotshot-odey-steps-in-for-chan-eagles/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:14am On Jul 26, 2017
Obiozor thrilled to score on Orlando Pirates debut

By Samm Audu -
July 25, 2017

Newly signed Orlando Pirates striker Christian Obiozor scored on his unofficial debut for The Bucaneers in a friendly match today.

Former Enyimba forward Obiozor has signed a three-year deal with Orlando Pirates.

The South Africa Premier League side were in fine form with a 4-1 victory over Amatuks FC.

Obiozor, was at his best and linked up well as the lone man upfront in the game.

His compatriot, Emmanuel Daniel, was in goal for Pirates against the Tuks.

In a chat with ScoreNigeria.com.ng after the match, Obiozor stated his delight at opening his goals account in South Africa.
And he insisted the workout was just another step towards building up the fitness levels for the upcoming season.

“It was nice to play a game after linking up with this great team. The result is the most important thing because it was a good training session,” the lanky forward told SCORENigeria

“The feeling is good. I scored in my first game for Pirates and that is good to make me forge ahead in the quest to make this club return to it glory days. I’m so delighted scoring today,” the lanky forward explained.

“It’s all about getting some rhythm and getting used to the games and there are still a lot of things to work on, but there are still weeks to go.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:22am On Jul 26, 2017
goldfish80:

Sir Goodjoe come watch this...

Goalkeepers always have bad day...

Former Barça goalie Victor Valdez was worse back then in Barcelona Its all about believing in them...

Sir goodjoe I could remember some of your long time post when you are talking about coaches believing in player... No matter how bad or good you are if the coach did not believe in you.. You can't never amount to anything in that team...

We all have several examples around us...

That's what we re experiencing with Akpeyi... Now... Majority of us don't believe in him we have put all our mind on someone we thought we perform very well...

Thesame alapamsu during u17 he was uncomposed ..made alot of mistakes that fans was like who is this goalie? But with time he came to party...

We should learn to be patience to our players... Thesame Akpeyi was a man of match against SA think in 2004...if am right...

Stage fright is another thing we re not considering... Bring in a good psychology... To do the work on him...

Alamapasu time will come... I believe if he keeps working hard and don't forget uzoho of depotivo LA corola doing great thing too...

This is a big test match for Nigeria... And if the coaching crew didnit believe in Akpeyi they should call

Ejide or aiyenugba... They are tested goalie not... The rookie...

I love alapamsu but we should not gamble with this world cup or else...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:23am On Jul 26, 2017
EXCLUSIVE – CHAN 2018: Togo protest to CAF to disqualify Benin

By Samm Audu -
July 25, 2017

SCORENigeria can exclusively reveal that Togo have asked the Confederation of African Football (CAF) to disqualify Benin from CHAN 2018 after they failed to produce the passports of their players for the first leg qualifier in Lome.

On Sunday, Benin advanced to a final playoff against Nigeria next month on penalties after aggregate scores with Togo stood at 2-2.

However, Togo have since petitioned CAF, arguing that Benin breached the rules and regulations guiding the qualifying tournament for CHAN 2019 in Kenya by not presenting the passports of their players, which serve as licenses for international matches.

They demanded that as a result Benin be disqualified for Togo to advance to the next round to face Nigeria.

A top source from Cotonou alleged that Benin hurriedly assembled several Nigerians for the Togo game, but could not get their Benin passports in time for the first leg.

“This was similar to what happened to the same Benin three years ago when they could not produce their players’ passports for an U17 qualifier against Mali, who subsequently protested and Benin were disqualified,” the source told only SCORENigeria

SCORENigeria also gathered that Togo protested against the Ghanaian referee William Agbovi, who they claimed failed to award the penalty goal by Hakim Ouro-Sama during the shootout in Cotonou as television replays later showed that the ball crossed the goal line after it came off the crossbar

SCORENigeria further gathered that CAF will decide on this protest before next month’s playoff against Nigeria.

The CHAN Eagles will play away on August 12 before they host the return leg match on August 18 in Kano with the overall winners qualifying for the tournament finals in Kenya in January.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:29am On Jul 26, 2017
Chinese club stalling over payoff for demoted Chinedu Obasi

By admin -
July 25, 2017

SCORENigeria has exclusively gathered that Chinese second division club Shenzhen FC are stalling on paying off Chinedu Obasi after they sensationally demoted the former Super Eagles forward to their reserve team.

Obasi was replaced in the first-team squad on transfer deadline day by a Brazilian.

Obasi is on a $3million deal at the club owned by the richest man in China and despite his demotion, he still has a contract at the club till December.

A payoff to be mutually agreed by both player and club will free Obasi to move to another club, but the club are insisting they still want the former Schalke 04 to stay put.

Five months without first-team football will hurt the player’s chances of getting another club, but he will still be smiling to the bank as he earns at least $150,000-a-month.

Last year, Obasi staged a remarkable comeback to the game with Swedish club AIK after several months sidelined by various injuries.

It was a performance that fetched them the big-money deal in Chinese courtesy of former England boss Sven Goran-Eriksson.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/25/chinese-club-stalling-over-payoff-for-demoted-chinedu-obasi/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:32am On Jul 26, 2017
Fresh controversy rages over Eagles calamity defender Chidozie Awaziem

By admin -
July 25, 2017

A fresh controversy is raging around Chidozie Awaziem after he missed several days training with officials admitting the defender may have had some breathing problems.

Awaziem courted controversy when he was a shock starter for the Super Eagles ahead of the more experienced Kenneth Omeruo in last month’s AFCON home loss to South Africa.

There were wide-spread allegations he had to play an official game for Nigeria before he could seal a loan switch from FC Porto second team to French Ligue 1 side Nantes.

According to French newspaper L’Equipe, Awaziem “disappeared” soon after his medical and was not seen for many days in training at his new French club.

Officials have tried to be discreet about the situation, but later told the player’s teammates Awaziem suffered some breathing problems.

He has been named in tonight’s pre-season friendly against English Championship side Hull City, but the highly respected newspaper also reported that rumours around the player persist.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/07/25/fresh-controversy-rages-over-eagles-calamity-defender-chidozie-awaziem/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:41am On Jul 26, 2017
goldfish80:

I'm in support of arresting referees and officials for this type of nonsense. They are committing crimes these are not just naïve mistakes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:46am On Jul 26, 2017
Ighalo makes case for Eagles return with goals in China

Odion Ighalo, who has not featured for the Super Eagles this year, is making a case for himself to return to the national team on the back of his goals for Changchun Yatai in the Chinese Super League.

Ighalo has scored eight goals in 16 games and has scored in the last four games for his team.

This was after a rather difficult start following his record-breaking transfer from Premier League club Watford in January.

Ighalo, 28, became the most expensive Nigeria star after Changchun Yatai splashed 20 million pounds for him.

The former Granada CF star has proved his class in the Premier League with Watford, but he has so far failed to reproduce such form in the green-white-green shirt of the Super Eagles since he made his debut on March 26, 2016 in a friendly against Uganda.

The all-action striker has since scored three goals in 12 appearances with the Eagles.

Since the sudden retirement of Emmanuel Emenike from international in 2015, the Eagles have lined up several strikers including Ighalo to lead their attack.

Kelechi Iheanacho has spearheaded the Eagles front line this year, but he looked lost and far from effective in last month’s ill-fated AFCON 2019 qualifier at home against South Africa.

Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has since been shopping for an experienced top striker to lead the line in crucial World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon in September.

There will be no margin for error against African champions the Indomitable Lions as a win in Uyo will put Nigeria at least a foot into Russia 2018.
China-based Brown Ideye, Aaron Samuel and Victor Anichebe are some of the strikers being touted to spearhead Nigeria’s charge for goals against Cameroon.

Anichebe is now trying to settle down at new Chinese second division club Beijing Enterprises, Ideye’s Eagles chances have been dealt a serious body blow after he was recently demoted to the reserves of his Chinese Super League club, while Aaron Samuel is gradually staging a comeback with Russian side CSKA Moscow after a long-term knee injury.

Ajegunle-born Ighalo told ScoreNigeria.com.ng that he is ever willing to represent Nigeria again and will make the country proud should he be recalled.

“I am ready to represent my country Nigeria whenever I am called upon but if I am not invited, I will continue my work at my club and keep wishing the team all the best in the games,” the skipper of Changchun Yatai told SCORENigeria

“Nigeria is blessed with a lot of talents.”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:49am On Jul 26, 2017
komekn:

Seems exceptional talent how old is he?

He looks under 16 to me.
ok.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:49am On Jul 26, 2017
Ex-Eagles coach Sylvanus Okpala takes over relegation-threatened Enugu Rangers

Relegation-troubled Enugu Rangers have appointed former Super Eagles assistant coach Sylvanus Okpala as new coach, officials said.

Okpala takes over from Chukwuma Agbo, who has been in caretaker charge of the NPFL side since the contract of championship-winning coach Imama Amapakabo was terminated earlier this year.

Okpala was first linked with the post at the peak of Imama’s troubles at Rangers when they could only force a 2-2 draw with Zesco United of Zambia in a 2017 CAF Confederation Cup playoff.

He has captained the Super Eagles and played professionally in Portugal.

‘Quick Silver’ assisted Stephen Keshi when Nigeria won a third AFCON in 2013 in South Africa.

Rangers, who have never been relegated, are in the drop zone in 17th place on the NPFL table with 39 points from 31 matches.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:52am On Jul 26, 2017
Season over for Rivers United goalkeeper Abiodun Akande after horror injury

The NPFL season is over for Rivers United goalkeeper Abiodun Akande after he fractured his right leg during his team’s Week 31 clash against visiting Wikki Tourists.

Rivers United confirmed the season is over for the young shot stopper.

Akande was replaced in the 52nd minute after he broke his leg as he unsuccessfully tried to keep out Abubakar Lawal’s goal for Wikki.

The incident produced a hushed atmosphere inside the stadium with some of the United players and members of the coaching staff visibly breaking down in tears and Akande was driven to hospital in an ambulance.

It is a sad end to the season for former Nigeria U23 goalkeeper Akande who has posted a series of five-star displays in the absence of first-choice Sunday Rotimi.

He was outstanding as Rivers United fought hard to qualify for the knockout stage of the CAF Confederation Cup at FUS Rabat of Morocco.

The ex-Shooting Stars goalkeeper also kept a clean sheet as Rivers United got a rare draw at ABS FC last weekend in the league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:05am On Jul 26, 2017
Anyone who have been following or reading my comments on This forum will know I hardly use the term world class. The point is I'm by far more comfortable with Ikeme in goal. I'm sure we can post videos of gaffes by even the best keepers. Ikeme has far more experience and is well tested playing in the championship over the years than Akpeyi. The best keeper shows it again and again. Akpeyi is not even the better than all the NPFL keepers. If that's a lie give them a chance and u will see what will happen. Akpeyi's days are numbered in SE.

goldfish80:

Ikeme became the first choice goalkeeper for Wolves in the 2013 season. Mind you, this guy ais 31 years old. He only became first choice for his club at 28.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:58am On Jul 26, 2017
goldfish80:

Ikeme has never been world class and although I haven't really had a good look at Akpeyi the overwhelming number of comments have him as barely average at best.

Ikeme is clearly better but so also is Enyeama clearly better than Ikeme.

When it comes to world class players how many do we truly honestly have.

But let's drop the bar on world class and ask how many of our players are in the top 50 for thier preferred positions in the world football . That would be my definition of a top class player.

When you look at it that way then we can be realistic about our expectations.

None if our current defenders are within the top 200. But then most of our competing opponents in the AFCON are in a similar position.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:06pm On Jul 26, 2017
I particularly do not like this time of the year it is transfer pandemonium.

Until it is signed sealed and delivered nothing is confirmed or certain. But the ease after putting so much time in negotiations going back and forth with HOD's of recruitment and managers. They will just tell you we have changed our minds.

The deceit the underhanded behaviour is disgusting from supposedly honourable men. It's a sham every body is looking for a deal.

Then you club official trying to prevent thier preferred player from having competition so the issue of not what is best for the club but what is best for the club official and agent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
I particularly do not like this time of the year it is transfer pandemonium.

Until it is signed sealed and delivered nothing is confirmed or certain. But the ease after putting so much time in negotiations going back and forth with HOD's of recruitment and managers. They will just tell you we have changed our minds.

The deceit the underhanded behaviour is disgusting from supposedly honourable men. It's a sham every body is looking for a deal.

Then you club official trying to prevent thier preferred player from having competition so the issue of not what is best for the club but what is best for the club official and agent.

I also see a lot of the real reasons behind some over inflated transfer fees. So it's a dirty game and you will eventually get your hands dirty. Meanwhile there is still hope there are a few, very few who still have integrity and still just want the best player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:10pm On Jul 26, 2017
I noticed that Iwobi played as a wing back against Chelsea and he wasn't bad either.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:09pm On Jul 26, 2017
goldfish80:

I dont know if youre saying this just for banter sake or you just made this statement for the shock value, but whichever one it is, clearly it not one of your better finest comments. I cant believe you would want to trust a guy who is allien to this level to man the post in such a big game knowing fully well he haven't seen proper league action for a 1yr. Is the super eagles that joke of a team which every Tom, D*** and Harry is invited to come try out??
This was how we nearly capped a fella from the English 7th division.

If Ghana and South Africans call us super chickens ,you will be offended but look at what you just typed. Honestly speaking, I will rather goto war with Dele Aiyenugba who played more than 32games for his Isreali team last year (i think hes the captain of the team) than this desperate move for Emma Daniel.

The best. Seaman, David James etc have had atrocious series of games despite loads of experience. It is no guarantee. The best hands after screening is the best hands. No other story. Any other reason for sending a player into the field is SENTIMENTS.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2017
Joebie:
Anyone who have been following or reading my comments on This forum will know I hardly use the term world class. The point is I'm by far more comfortable with Ikeme in goal. I'm sure we can post videos of gaffes by even the best keepers. Ikeme has far more experience and is well tested playing in the championship over the years than Akpeyi. The best keeper shows it again and again. Akpeyi is not even the better than all the NPFL keepers. If that's a lie give them a chance and u will see what will happen. Akpeyi's days are numbered in SE.

Thank you very much. The bolded is the point. We are looking for the best Nigerian keeper. Whether he is on the bench in one team or in the local League or regular in Europe is not what we need. We need the best hand in goal. If the keeper is the best, with series of games in the Super Eagles, clubs will come for him or make him a regular in Europe.

It is time we kick out sentiments in our analysis and keep searching for the best in each role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:28pm On Jul 26, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Ex-Eagles coach Sylvanus Okpala takes over relegation-threatened Enugu Rangers

Relegation-troubled Enugu Rangers have appointed former Super Eagles assistant coach Sylvanus Okpala as new coach, officials said.

Okpala takes over from Chukwuma Agbo, who has been in caretaker charge of the NPFL side since the contract of championship-winning coach Imama Amapakabo was terminated earlier this year.

Okpala was first linked with the post at the peak of Imama’s troubles at Rangers when they could only force a 2-2 draw with Zesco United of Zambia in a 2017 CAF Confederation Cup playoff.

He has captained the Super Eagles and played professionally in Portugal.

‘Quick Silver’ assisted Stephen Keshi when Nigeria won a third AFCON in 2013 in South Africa.

Rangers, who have never been relegated, are in the drop zone in 17th place on the NPFL table with 39 points from 31 matches.

Wish Super Eagles hero the best. Sylvanus Okpala is one man I have big respect for.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:36pm On Jul 26, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Sir Goodjoe come watch this...

Goalkeepers always have bad day...

Former Barça goalie Victor Valdez was worse back then in Barcelona Its all about believing in them...

Sir goodjoe I could remember some of your long time post when you are talking about coaches believing in player... No matter how bad or good you are if the coach did not believe in you.. You can't never amount to anything in that team...

We all have several examples around us...

That's what we re experiencing with Akpeyi... Now... Majority of us don't believe in him we have put all our mind on someone we thought we perform very well...

Thesame alapamsu during u17 he was uncomposed ..made alot of mistakes that fans was like who is this goalie? But with time he came to party...

We should learn to be patience to our players... Thesame Akpeyi was a man of match against SA think in 2004...if am right...

Stage fright is another thing we re not considering... Bring in a good psychology... To do the work on him...

Alamapasu time will come... I believe if he keeps working hard and don't forget uzoho of depotivo LA corola doing great thing too...

This is a big test match for Nigeria... And if the coaching crew didnit believe in Akpeyi they should call

Ejide or aiyenugba... They are tested goalie not... The rookie...

I love alapamsu but we should not gamble with this world cup or else...

I never said gamble. I said select the best. From reports, Alampasu is the best in camp. So select the best. This is not advanced philosophy. We should play the best in every role that suits the Coach's tactics and strategies.

The gamble is selecting a weaker player and expecting experience to perform magic for him.

Yepes was one of the oldest, if not the oldest player in the last World Cup but he was also one of the best defenders in the World Cup. People miss that fact. The word is best.

I say do a proper screening process and select the best. Any thing less than that is bias and gambling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:49pm On Jul 26, 2017
My report about Alhassan Ibrahim was wrong. He is not injured and will play today.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:51pm On Jul 26, 2017
Joebie:

Are you sure Akpeyi is not better than what we have in the npfl? You do realize Akpeyi was the best keeper in Nigeria when he helped Heartland to a champions league final and 2 Fa cups? He is the vice Captain of his team in SA. Former Nigeria youth international. I mean who in the npfl have something close to this resume?
Take a look at his ratings against South Africa in 2015, for goodness sake he made the top 3 performers in Africa that week by africanfootball.com

Daniel Akpeyi – South Africa 1-1 Nigeria – 29 March, Nelspruit

In the wake of Vincent Enyeama collecting his 100th cap for Nigeria against Uganda last week, Daniel Akpeyi demonstrated that the Super Eagles have enviable goalkeeping depth with an excellent display against South Africa that included several excellent saves, one of them denying Andile Jali from the penalty spot.

http://africanfootball.com/news/521561/Three-top-African-performances

After the SA game Rohr said the goals conceded were not his fault.
'These kind of games are very difficult for goalkeepers. The possibility was to bring in [Ikechukwu] Ezenwa or [Dele] Alampasu, but I think [the goals] was not the fault of the goalkeeper.

I understand people are more confident with Ikeme but the truth is that he is not infallible and in his absence Akpeyi is capable of deputizing. The unfair witch hunt against Akpeyi tells me the fans are the biggest problem of this team.
I think it was a masterstroke for the nff to employ an extra psychologist for this team especially to work with the goalkeepers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:58pm On Jul 26, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The best. Seaman, David James etc have had atrocious series of games despite loads of experience. It is no guarantee. The best hands after screening is the best hands. No other story. Any other reason for sending a player into the field is SENTIMENTS.

I have also seen youngsters who were given chances too early and they bombed, nothing was ever heard of them again.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1226) (1227) (1228) (1229) (1230) (1231) (1232) ... (16690) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Ikanium(m), Mybettingtips(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.