Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,675 members, 7,844,224 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1181) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11827854 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1178) (1179) (1180) (1181) (1182) (1183) (1184) ... (16232) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 7:57pm On Jun 29, 2017
Danycrusoe:

1. ABS face Pillars in few minutes and they will dorn this jersey

2. 15 year old David Okoromi on the bench could make his debut in the first team today. Scored the first goal for the ABS u15vteam in osogbo during the NPFL u15 promises

3. Unveiling of the puma jersey few weeks back
nice jersey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 7:59pm On Jun 29, 2017
Danycrusoe:

1. ABS face Pillars in few minutes and they will dorn this jersey

2. 15 year old David Okoromi on the bench could make his debut in the first team today. Scored the first goal for the ABS u15vteam in osogbo during the NPFL u15 promises

3. Unveiling of the puma jersey few weeks back
are those guys in the first pic the gata brothers?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 8:02pm On Jun 29, 2017
enomakos:
are those guys in the first pic the gata brothers?

I don't know their faces cuz v not really seen their faces like some other prominent players in the league, so I can't say really
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:03pm On Jun 29, 2017
AIG07:

i no understand this man... Se na you or your keyboard? Cos am sure se na Joseph you wan type see as im come arrange d name...

hahahahaha grin,

Baba no b kibordi oo, according to the federal Republic of PIGDIN, abi nah canari English, and in the book of hon PATRICK of the house if krammar in d local govt area of kracy under kakitokracy,

its the krackum of the present order of kratikum, that I type that pidgin English cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:08pm On Jun 29, 2017
komekn:

Tell me which defenders will not describe playing against any of these players as a nightmare.

Players listed below are a defenders worst nightmare first of all they do not need a lot of support on thier own they can unsettle, disrupt and dismantle am entire defensive line up.

Kane
Ibrahimovic
Benteke
Lukaku
Conte
Balotelli
Drogba (in his prime)

I would consider your proposition as being without any substance what so ever.

You suggest that target men are devoid of skill, speed, vision and lack creativity. The opposite is the case the best of them simply bring everything to the table.

you meant COSTA, abi nah wetin CONTE dey find dia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:40pm On Jun 29, 2017
do4luv14:

you meant COSTA, abi nah wetin CONTE dey find dia

Exactly you read mind if not my spelling thank you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 8:46pm On Jun 29, 2017
Danycrusoe:

I don't know their faces cuz v not really seen their faces like some other prominent players in the league, so I can't say really
OK thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:11pm On Jun 29, 2017
komekn:

Tell me which defenders will not describe playing against any of these players as a nightmare.

Players listed below are a defenders worst nightmare first of all they do not need a lot of support on thier own they can unsettle, disrupt and dismantle am entire defensive line up.

Kane
Ibrahimovic
Benteke
Lukaku
Conte
Balotelli
Drogba (in his prime)

You suggest that target men are devoid of skill, speed, vision and lack creativity. The opposite is the case the best of them simply bring everything to the table.

Jurgen Klopp chased Benteke out of Liverpool because he could not fit into his modern strategy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 10:26pm On Jun 29, 2017
komekn:

Kane
Ibrahimovic
Benteke
Lukaku
Conte
Balotelli
Drogba (in his prime)

First of all ibrahimovic, Kane, balloteli are skillfully CF with awesome technique and who are very unpredictable, they are tall and physical but much more than target men so they don't belong in that list.
You saying benteke, lukaku and drogba(target men) do not need a lot of support and can on their own dismantle any team is a big lie, everyone knows they mostly rely on a creative player to give them the assists.

Then these guys are in epl a league where almost all the defenders are physical and rugged ready to match them physically in in all battles, when they get physically outmuscled they run out of ideas and are not just dynamic enough to make a difference.(the lukaku you put is a perfect example only 2 goals and some poor games against Chelsea why because the defenders are able to match him physically) but evertime Chelsea faces a striker like aguero, not one of the strongest he has always Been able to hurt Chelsea more.

Then I didn't say target men lack creativity, vision, skill some do but you of all people should know they are more than just target men and can't be considered alone as "target men"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:47pm On Jun 29, 2017
Humility017:

you see....you've started.
if you must make case for certain player...
or advocate for certain players inclusion in the SE...
must you tear down other players?
why try to bring oshimen's case up?
I really thank God....for rohr...had it been he was a Nigerian... he would have been called a tribalist, nepotist etc by now.....
on kayode issue....I personally have advocated for him on these thread...likewise many others...and I think rohr fancy him too...
but wait....if he was that good and far better than henry...why is that foreign clubs especially in the EPL are not queuing up jostling for his signature...
after all those folks are not Nigerians...they don't even know his tribal background...
you think.... the applause and media hype Henry has enjoyed recently has not gone to make rohr notice him......

So one needs to walk in eggshells around here just because you don't want to be seen as pulling "other players down to elevate the status of others?" That's pathetic.

All he did was state the obvious, how a kid who had just 45mins of action for his team be chosen ahead of someone who's a main man in his team in the MLS with about 46 career goals at the time still beats me.

Or the other with 24goals plying his trade in Belgium.

I have nothing against osimhen, he's at a good club, he should focus his strength on recuperating and hoping for an injury-free season.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:02am On Jun 30, 2017
John Ogu: How Onazi brought me to Europe

By Brila -
June 29, 2017

Super Eagles Midfielder, John Ogu poured out his heart on Twitter in the early hours of Thursday revealing his journey in football including how national teammate, Onazi Ogenyi financed his trip to Europe while he hoped to find a club.
Ogu, 29, has since played for clubs in Slovenia, Spain, Portugal and became a double champion in Israel with Hapoel Be’er Sheva.

Ogu revealed Onazi, who at the time played for SS Lazio “bought me a ticket to Rome to stay with him until I get a club,” he tweeted.

He also explained that “Many Never knew I was at Lazio training ground watching my brother @OnaziOgenyi train wit his team then.”

The hard tackling midfielder went all soft in the thread as he praised his current club teammates, appreciated the fans, revealed how moving to Israel saved his mum’s life, becoming a landlord in Lagos among other things.

John Ogu
✔ ‎@ogujohnugo
Many Never knew I was at Lazio training ground watching my brother @OnaziOgenyi train wit his team then.If only football clubs were just 1/2

John Ogu
✔ ‎@ogujohnugo
Many never believed in me.But I knew I was coming to Israel to Win!!I knew I was coming to Hapoel Beer sheva to challenge for titles .

John Ogu
✔ ‎@ogujohnugo
A street football kind of thin.I would have been playing with Lazio then ��. Truth is then I was praying for a trial then but God knows best

John Ogu
✔ ‎@ogujohnugo
Many Never knew @OnaziOgenyi bought me a ticket to Rome to stay with him until I get a club. I Appreciate you bro always .God bless you

John Ogu
✔ ‎@ogujohnugo
One thin I wil never forget Israel for sure is hw my Mum is alive today. God used Me livin in Israel to safe her life.. Story 4 another day

John Ogu
✔ ‎@ogujohnugo
Just two years. Married,A Daughter,Back to Back league title,Super Cup,EUROPA league round 32,Toto Cup,Mother Alive,A landlord in Lagos !!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:06am On Jun 30, 2017
CHAN Eagles to kick-start Nigeria’s preparation for Cameroon showdown
By Alex Monye | 30 June 2017 | 4:13 am

Super Eagles Coach, Gernot Rohr will begin his preparation for Nigeria’s Russia 2018 World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon with home-based players, officials of the team have disclosed.

Nigeria will meet Cameroun in the first game of the double-header in Uyo on August 28 and travel Yaoundé for the reverse tie three days later.

Super Eagles’ Media Officer, Toyin Ibitoye, told The Guardian yesterday that Rohr would start preparations for the matches with the 44 players named last week by his assist, Salisu Yusuf for the African Nations Championship (CHAN), adding that it would also give the players the opportunity to stake claims for inclusion in the squad to tackle Cameroun.

Ibitoye said the Eagles’ Manager, who is still meeting with players in Europe ahead of the World Cup qualifiers, will be on ground to supervise the CHAN players’ screening, adding that quality friendly games would be organized for the team before their foreign-based counterparts arrive for the last phase of preparation for the matches.

“Rohr’s quest to ensure Nigeria beat Cameroon in the World Cup qualifiers has compelled him to pay close attention to the CHAN team. The CHAN team will serve as the platform to start assembling the best players that would battle Cameroun, which is the main priority of everybody involved with the Super Eagles,” he said.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oyinlola007(m): 9:27am On Jun 30, 2017
Are you tired of NEPA taking light? Well, these guys have a plan to end the suffering. But first, they need your retweet

https://mobile.twitter.com/PAwojobi/status/879435157287165953
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 10:50am On Jun 30, 2017
Oasis007:

Onyekuru is signed by Everton but will be loaned out to Anderlecht. The Question is; why can't he secure the Work Permit through Exceptional Talent?!

Or you think if Mbappe is signed by any of the EPL Clubs, he won't secure the Work Permit through the same Channel?! Remember Mbappe is younger to Onyekuru.

It's a Pity you could come this Low just to shade Forgiveness, and it's more pitiable for a Veteran on this Thread to back up the Gibberish.
Mbappe is an eu citizen and Onyekuru isn't?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:26pm On Jun 30, 2017
Icon4s:

It easier to cast blames.

Iheanacho was (still is) our best striker going into that game.

What I thought the coach could have done was to Play Iheanacho and Kayode together in that second half. And then swapped roles between Etebo and Iwobi.

Ogu ke? You think wining of headers is all only about height? And besides I hope you know that most defenders and midfielders, even those that are good aerially, find it difficult to keep the heading on target. They mostly head wide.

BTW Anichebe for real? You mean this thing?

I didn't say I want Anichebe just that Komekn mentioned players like him.

when you start playing long balls you don't attempt to head the ball on target, you just knock it down for your teammates or you flick it towards them and yes Ogu has strong aerial abilities so I believe he can dominate the air in the opponents half of the pitch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:29pm On Jun 30, 2017
Mickael2:

I didn't say I want Anichebe just that Komekn mentioned players like him.

when you start playing long balls you don't attempt to head the ball on target, you just knock it down for your teammates or you flick it towards them and yes Ogu has strong aerial abilities so I believe he can dominate the air in the opponents half of the pitch.

As simple as 1+1=2 . Right?

And your opponents would be applauding as you do all these.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:35pm On Jun 30, 2017
Icon4s:

As simple as 1+1=2 . Right?

And your opponents would be applauding as you do all these.

No offence but if Anthony Joshua tells you that he will come to your house and knock you out what will you do? you might square up against him like I would definitely square up against him but I probably can't change the inevitable. That's just how it is, you can only influence what you have the power to influence

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 4:33pm On Jun 30, 2017
OFFICIAL - DONE DEAL

Everton have signed Nigeria striker Henry Onyekuru from KAS Eupen for £7m and sent him on loan to Anderlecht.

Onyekuru, 20, scored 22 goals for the Belgian top-flight club last season and has been linked with Arsenal, West Ham and clubs throughout Europe.

He is viewed as a prospect for the future by manager Ronald Koeman and signs a five-year contract.

Earlier on Friday, Barcelona took up clause to buy winger Gerard Deulofeu back from Everton for £10.6m.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40418808
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:34pm On Jun 30, 2017
And what about Gabriel Jesus who isn't an EU citizen? How was he able to secure work permit?

O pari

edi287:

Mbappe is an eu citizen and Onyekuru isn't?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 30, 2017
gud day everybody.i'm new in this thread.hope i'm welcomed?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:54pm On Jun 30, 2017
the players you listed below are no doubt exceptional. reminds me of the great rashidi yekini. that said what some commentators might have been trying to express is the fact that most of these target men might struggle based on the formation some coaches might deploy. ibra as great as he is/was couldn't quite cut it at pep's barcelona team. same for benteke who could not cope with klopp's intense movement centric tactics at liverpool. with due respect to costa and lukaku top clubs haven't exactly been falling over themselves to sign them. the big point man in all fairness is my ideal kind of striker cos in tight games where tikitaka might be failing you the big striker could manufacture a miracle.
the reason why i think people might not prefer the big striker option is that once service is cut of the guy might become a lame duck. talking specifically about the super eagles i also share the opinion that based on the players we have now and the best tactic that suits us (4-2-3-1)
we need a point man who can bring other players into action. iheanacho yes for now is our most lethal finisher but i feel he will be at his most dangerous in the AM/SS role . so who will play the point man role for us? ighalo beside the fact that his goal scoring record of recent has been poor his hold up play is not there. osimhen has showed promise let's see how he does at the beginning of the bundesliga season. anichebe i like has good hold up play will be an asset to his fellow striker but i have questions about his fitness (injury problems), goal convertion rate and his movement let's be honest victor is not the quickest or sharpest. ideye i like he ticks all the boxes for me except the goal scoring aspect but he could be a vital tool in our tactical setup
komekn:

Kane
Ibrahimovic
Benteke
Lukaku
Conte
Balotelli
Drogba (in his prime)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:59pm On Jun 30, 2017
gabriel jesus is already an established brazilian international who has performed creditably at club level. this is the first break out season for onyekuru and he only just got invited to the national team

Icon79:
And what about Gabriel Jesus who isn't an EU citizen? How was he able to secure work permit?

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 6:44pm On Jun 30, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

Gabriel Jesus played more games for Brazil NT than Onyekuru has for SE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:10pm On Jun 30, 2017
do4luv14:

chaiii, wetin concern SUPER EAGLES and CR7
football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:19pm On Jun 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Jurgen Klopp chased Benteke out of Liverpool because he could not fit into his modern strategy.

What's so modern about his strategy? what is so strategic? Different doesn't mean new and or modern it's just a biased person based preference.

I watched him humiliate Sakho and demote him to the U23's he was not allowed to even train with the first team. His preference Joel Matip.

Once again you are elevating coach to being infallible small gods and having more appreciation of strategy than anybody else.

Well Benteke was treated abysmally and sold to Crystal palace.

Well he who laughs last laughs best. Liverpool played Crystal palace and we're flogged 2-1 and Benteke scored 2. Of course Klopp had to shut up his mouth and eat humble pie.

Add to that that since Sakho went to Crystal palace they went on winning streak hardly losing any games.

Sakho proving he is one of the best defenders in the EPL.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:27pm On Jun 30, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Here in Nigeria, our Super Eagles coach is Rohr who plays a modern system of play. So suggesting an archaic system will not work.

Ultimately Systems don't win matches good quality exceptional players do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:53pm On Jun 30, 2017
komekn:

Ultimately Systems don't win matches good quality exceptional players do.

I agree with this totally.

Imagine a scenario where opposing teams play the same formation, let's say 4-3-3.
Team A get walloped 3:0 in the game. One will have no option but to say the better players on the day won because they both were playing with the same strategy with difference in personnel.

It is my humble opinion that coaches are generally overrated. Players are the major actors not the coaches.

Guys like Mourinho and Guardiola have spent more than a billion dollars over the last 5 out together on player purchases which explains their success.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly2(m): 7:59pm On Jun 30, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

He has played more games in the national teams and moreover it took him 6 months before he cld even play for city, I guess its d work permit case too.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly2(m): 8:03pm On Jun 30, 2017
Now that henry has signed for a big club, make I hear say he no make match day squad, if not rhor has questions to answer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:06pm On Jun 30, 2017
Just read a report on whoscored that Guinean Intl, Nabil Keita could be moving to Liverpool for £70M.
I'm gobsmacked to be honest. An African player being quoted for such silly money while the best of our overrated players struggle to attract suitors for +20M.

If Guinea, a country of about 12 million people can quietly produce a player worth 70M, I hide my face in shame that our dear country cannot produce someone half that prize.

Factor in, Aubameyang from Gabon could be moving from Dortmund for more than £70M, while Mo' Salah switched from Roma to Liverpool for 40M.

I think we should be humble enough to admit that we don't have super star players in our team. The earlier we understand this,the better for everyone.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:09pm On Jun 30, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

bro...the English fa rules go with FIFA...ranking also
for example non European countries amongst the first 5 FIFA ranking....nationals need not get up to....70% playtime as demanded from other nationals whose nationals are ranked lower like 50...below. for such nationals 30% will be accepted by the English FA....
also....Gabriel J. might have been granted permit...on the onion of special talent clause....which also goes wit the amount he was signed...and wage.
same way...Mikel,Oscar, Success and lots others get their permit ..without having to play for their national team...yet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly2(m): 8:09pm On Jun 30, 2017
Joebie:
Lol now it's Leicester City

Southampton just joined the race, the move is hotting up, check BBC gossip. He will definitely move before transfer deadline worst case is a loan maybe if it drags till the deadline date.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1178) (1179) (1180) (1181) (1182) (1183) (1184) ... (16232) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: immobilare(m), lelion, Marjoribanks, bennie1980(m), lovewins, TheGoodJoe(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.