Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,252 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11665329 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1213) (1214) (1215) (1216) (1217) (1218) (1219) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 2:34pm On Jul 20, 2017
Joebie:
And also lets copy CONMEBOL's World Cup qualifying format, where the finalists all play each other in a league format.

That would entail the Super eagles playing 104 qualifying matches in a 3-year window because there are 54 CAF member nations that are also FIFA members.
The players will suffer from extreme fatigue, bearing in mind that they also play for their clubs; so it will be logistically impossible to implement such a qualifying schedule.
The CONMEBOL format works because there are only 10 countries in the confederation. Thus, each team only gets to play 18 WCQ matches over a three-year period.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
In the long run, Yes! But for the coming games against Cameroun, it's a silly move.

Right now, the best solution would be to convince Enyeama to come out of retirement. And if he insists, then we have Emmanuel Daniels who has proved himself even at the Olympic stage. He's definitely better than Akpeyi. I find it surprising that no one has ever thought about giving him a chance.

O pari

Joebie:
Well the coach now is Alloy Agu. And we can't expect to see him do anything different now and in the future. The new goalkeeper coach should be given the responsibility to at least assess the abilities of our current keepers. I think it's a step in the right direction especially for the long run.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:49pm On Jul 20, 2017
there isn't any U23 tournament in the real sense of it just hastily arranged tournaments to decide olympic qualifiers. CHAN for me is a huge waste of time and money. yes we want players especially homebased ones to get opportunities to show their talent that's nothing specially arranged friendlies or regional tournaments like WAFU, COSAFA cup can't achieve. i think its even more insulting to the locally based player because we dont trust his ability to break into the national team on his own steam abi how many CHANs did sunday mba or oboabona play before breaking into our AFCON winning team?

Joebie:
We already have an U23 tournament. CHAN is a good idea, but it should be stretched to accommodate players playing in Africa and MAYBE as well as uncapped players usually ignored especially because they ply their trades in lower/obscure leagues.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
Icon79:
In the long run, Yes! But for the coming games against Cameroun, it's a silly move.

Right now, the best solution would be to convince Enyeama to come out of retirement. And if he insists, then we have Emmanuel Daniels who has proved himself even at the Olympic stage. He's definitely better than Akpeyi. I find it surprising that no one has ever thought about giving him a chance.

O pari

what about ALAMPASU , and beside the major problem seems to be AGU,

he is not doing his job well enuf,
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 2:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
chrisooblog:
i support increasing the number of teams to 24 would be more interesting to watch. alot of african teams have improved so the competition would be intense you won't see too many scorelines showing the big countries hammering the smaller ones.

june/july date would be ideal for our players but the weather of most african countries during that period would be a huge problem. how many countries can afford to renovate existing stadiums, not to talk of building new ones or constructing retractable roofs? or maybe fixing the competition to late july to early august considering that the AFCON wont be played during a world cup year so the european season won't start until mid to late august and by then the rains should have subsided.

the four year gap is ok. it's just a matter of tweaking our qualifying schedule to accommodate more more matches especially for smaller teams.

CHAN should be rebranded into an U23 tournament

I'm okay with June/July if CAF, multinational companies that operate in the host nation(s) and the host nation(s) pony up the cash for the retrofit of the stadia.
Retrofitting 6-8 stadiums with retractable roofs would cost no less than N80 billion. That's s lot of money, but it will create 1000s of temporary jobs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 2:54pm On Jul 20, 2017
do4luv14:

Even the Olympic goalkeeper should be given a look in. I'm also not ruling out recalling Enyeama to the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:56pm On Jul 20, 2017
PDPGuy:

Even the Olympic goalkeeper should be given a look in. I'm also not ruling out recalling Enyeama to the team

yes,

but not when we hav AGU for a GK trainer
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:01pm On Jul 20, 2017
If Nigeria were to bid and awarded the hosting rights for a future AFCON, my preferred host cities would be:
Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Uyo, Jos, Warri/Asaba.

The round of 16 would be held in all stadia

Quarter final games in Uyo, Lagos, Jos, Abuja

Semis in Lagos and Abuja

Third-place game in Uyo, the final in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:07pm On Jul 20, 2017
What will an U23 AFCON "in the real sense" help to achieve? Please throw some light on this.

If you didn't read that part of my earlier comment, let me repeat, I think stretching CHAN to accommodate players based in Africa maybe as well as uncapped players especially those in lower leagues will add more value and purpose to it.

chrisooblog:
there isn't any U23 tournament in the real sense of it just hastily arranged tournaments to decide olympic qualifiers. CHAN for me is a huge waste of time and money. yes we want players especially homebased ones to get opportunities to show their talent that's nothing specially arranged friendlies or regional tournaments like WAFU, COSAFA cup can't achieve. i think its even more insulting to the locally based player because we dont trust his ability to break into the national team on his own steam abi how many CHANs did sunday mba or oboabona play before breaking into our AFCON winning team?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
Is this based on the facilities we have on ground or?

PDPGuy:
If Nigeria were to bid and awarded the hosting rights for a future AFCON, my preferred host cities would be:
Abuja, Lagos, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Enugu, Uyo, Jos, Warri/Asaba.

The round of 16 would be held in all stadia

Quarter final games in Uyo, Lagos, Jos, Abuja

Semis in Lagos and Abuja

Third-place game in Uyo, the final in Lagos.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:11pm On Jul 20, 2017
Does it cause any harm in the short run? How about the aspect of training whatever keeper we may choose to use -- Enyeama or not?

Icon79:

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:13pm On Jul 20, 2017
Take note. I had said "the finalists".. Doesn't have to be 10 or more. Africa will have better representation this way.

PDPGuy:

That would entail the Super eagles playing 104 qualifying matches in a 3-year window because there are 54 CAF member nations that are also FIFA members.
The players will suffer from extreme fatigue, bearing in mind that they also play for their clubs; so it will be logistically impossible to implement such a qualifying schedule.
The CONMEBOL format works because there are only 10 countries in the confederation. Thus, each team only gets to play 18 WCQ matches over a three-year period.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2017
hmmm i don't know N80 billion when we have such a huge infrastructure deficit in the country? but anyways as long as govt won't be paying the lion share it would be a cool venture. i'm not a fan of govt using public money for hosting sport competitions should purely be private sector driven. even advanced western nations especially the ones bidding for olympic games find it hard to cough out that kind of money before we mention most african countries (including us) who haven't gotten the basics of health care, education and physical infrastructure right.

PDPGuy:

I'm okay with June/July if CAF, multinational companies that operate in the host nation(s) and the host nation(s) pony up the cash for the retrofit of the stadia.
Retrofitting 6-8 stadiums with retractable roofs would cost no less than N80 billion. That's s lot of money, but it will create 1000s of temporary jobs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:19pm On Jul 20, 2017
I agree that it doesn't hurt to hire one immediately; however, my point is much more simpler than that. The argument I was trying to make is that they are diagnosing the wrong problem. The main problem we have right now is lack of a competent goal keeper. Hence, that should be the priority, because you can hire the best goalkeeper trainer in the world he still can't perform wonders if all he has to work with are a bunch of incompetent folks.

Like Jose Mourinho would say "you need an egg to make omelets".

O pari

Joebie:
Does it cause any harm in the short run? How about the aspect of training whatever keeper we may choose to use -- Enyeama or not?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2017
Bro, the only thing most of us know of Alampasu were his exploits in the U-17 levels. And that's really not a good criteria to measure his capabilities or lack thereof.

I think he ought to start showing us what he's got from his club. I don't wanna see him starting for us if he can't even start for a second division club side.

O pari

do4luv14:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2017
apart from being an olympic qualifier an U23 tournament would help better bridge the gap between the U21s and the senior national team. plus it would help in generating a pool of young players for the national team who we have a fair opinion of being ready. we don't have much resources to go round so if i'm forced to choose between one tournament that brings young players through the ranks to one that doesn't necessarily improve the main national team in terms of addition of players then i choose youth everyday of the week

Joebie:
What will an U23 AFCON "in the real sense" help to achieve? Please throw some light on this.

If you didn't read that part of my earlier comment, let me repeat, I think stretching CHAN to accommodate players based in Africa maybe as well as uncapped players especially those in lower leagues will add more value and purpose to it.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:32pm On Jul 20, 2017
Icon79:
Bro, the only thing most of us know of Alampasu were his exploits in the U-17 levels. And that's really not a good criteria to measure his capabilities or lack thereof.

I think he ought to start showing us what he's got from his club. I don't wanna see him starting for us if he can't even start for a second division club side.

O pari

when the coaches doent give him a chance to show what he has got, how will you know
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:39pm On Jul 20, 2017
Joebie:
Is this based on the facilities we have on ground or?

Its partly based on existing facilities. The Lagos venue could be a new football-specific stadium (50k-60k capacity) to be built on the existing site of the main bowl of the Lagos National stadium, which may have to be demolished.

The new stadium could be jointly built by LASG and a consortium of companies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:43pm On Jul 20, 2017
chrisooblog:
hmmm i don't know N80 billion when we have such a huge infrastructure deficit in the country? but anyways as long as govt won't be paying the lion share it would be a cool venture. i'm not a fan of govt using public money for hosting sport competitions should purely be private sector driven. even advanced western nations especially the ones bidding for olympic games find it hard to cough out that kind of money before we mention most african countries (including us) who haven't gotten the basics of health care, education and physical infrastructure right.

Yes. The key thing is to get the private sector to foot a majority of the bill.
I'd also like VAR to be used at the expanded tournament
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 3:56pm On Jul 20, 2017
I hail you guys in the forum. It has been a forum packed with very knowledgeable analyst. I have always been in the background on every debate on this forum.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 4:05pm On Jul 20, 2017
@tbaba:
I actually watched the roma vs psg game live at the stadium. Sadiq umar was almost unplayeable!! Very skillful, deceptively quick.. He only needs to work on his finishing..That guy would be a monster if he develops well..for a guy of that height, he likes the ball to his legs!! Doesn't really like using his head but I think his height is a big advantage for him. If the guy gets more game at Roma this season, there is no stopping him from the super eagles..in fact it would be a tough competition between him and Osimhen( they are our future!!)..Iheanacho can always play behind them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:12pm On Jul 20, 2017
bengine:
@tbaba:
I actually watched the roma vs psg game live at the stadium. Sadiq umar was almost unplayeable!! Very skillful, deceptively quick.. He only needs to work on his finishing..That guy would be a monster if he develops well..for a guy of that height, he likes the ball to his legs!! Doesn't really like using his head but I think his height is a big advantage for him. If the guy gets more game at Roma this season, there is no stopping him from the super eagles..in fact it would be a tough competition between him and Osimhen( they are our future!!)..Iheanacho can always play behind them.

Seriously, he played that well against PSG. That is why it was so impressive. He needs a good run of games but he can't get it unless Dzeko is injured. I have always thought he had a lot of potential. Consistency and finishing, and he will be a star.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2017
Well, the easiest way to breakthrough into the national team is by getting the job done at your club.

Are you aware that Alampsu isn't even the 3rd option at his club? They bundled him out on a loan last season. Now, if he isn't good enough for a third tier Portuguese club side, what makes you think that he's good enough for Nigerian Super Eagles? He's definitely not the solution ... at least, not now anyway.

O pari

do4luv14:

when the coaches doent give him a chance to show what he has got, how will you know

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:31pm On Jul 20, 2017
Kano Govt. Approves Hosting Of Home-Based Eagles’ Camp Ahead CHAN Qualifier

George Obi

Complete Sports Nigeria | 20 Jul 2017

Kano State government has given approval for the camping of home-based Super Eagles in Kano ahead of their 5th African Nations Championship (CHAN) qualifying tie against either Benin Republic or Togo Completesportsnigeria.com reports.‎

This was confirmed by the Nigeria Football Federation General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi.

Sanusi stated that the Kano State Government has given approval for the camping, which will start on Monday, 24th July 2017.

Sanusi told thenff.com: “The administration of Governor Umar Ganduje has approved that the Eagles camp in Kano from Monday, 24th July ahead of the first leg of their qualifying fixture against either Benin or Togo, which will be in Cotonou or Lome on 13th August.

“The Super Eagles’ delegation will depart for the away match on 11th August, and return to Kano to continue camping for the second leg, which will come up on 19th August,” explained Sanusi.

Both Togo and Benin Republic played a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their preliminary qualifier in Lome last weekend, with the second leg slated for the Stade de L’Amitie in Cotonou on Sunday.

The winner will host the home-based Super Eagles before flying into Kano for the second leg scheduled for the Sani Abacha Stadium a week later.
With 1xBet you get High Odd
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:34pm On Jul 20, 2017
Icon79:
Well, the easiest way to breakthrough into the national team is by getting the job done at your club.

Are you aware that Alampsu isn't even the 3rd option at his club? They bundled him out on a loan last season. Now, if he isn't good enough for a third tier Portuguese club side, what makes you think that he's good enough for Nigerian Super Eagles? He's definitely not the solution ... at least, not now anyway.

O pari

injuy and lost of form cost him, bit towards the end of last season he was between the stick for more games wich his club won,

go and ask, and as you always said

o'pari

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:35pm On Jul 20, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

Your statement about Alampasu is incorrect. Young players are loaned out to give them first team experience. Alampasu was getting games in the cup before he was loaned out, meaning he was second or third choice.

Alampasu actually stands a strong chance to be number 1 at Feirense this season after they sold their number 1. Alampasu is better than Akpeyi. Inexperienced but better.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:37pm On Jul 20, 2017
And u want the finals to be played in a stadium yet to be built. Not a bad idea.
PDPGuy:

Its partly based on existing facilities. The Lagos venue could be a new football-specific stadium (50k-60k capacity) to be built on the existing site of the main bowl of the Lagos National stadium, which may have to be demolished.

The new stadium could be jointly built by LASG and a consortium of companies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:38pm On Jul 20, 2017
Well, I gotta admit, I have not seen him play since the U-17 levels. But even if I were to take your word that he's been producing, would you want him to start for the SE even though, even though he has lost form, as you clearly stated?

O pari

do4luv14:

injuy and lost of form cost him, bit towards the end of last season he was between the stick for more games wich his club won,

go and ask, and as you always said

o'pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:41pm On Jul 20, 2017
Well, that's good news, if it pans out that he becomes a starter. That would put us in good shape, goalkeeping wise, for Russia 2018 - if we qualify. I don't have anything against him, I just want him to show up something in competitive matches at his club side before staking a claim to the Super Eagles #1.

O pari

tbaba1234:

Your statement about Alampasu is incorrect. Young players are loaned out to give them first team experience. Alampasu was getting games in the cup before he was loaned out, meaning he was second or third choice.

Alampasu actually stands a strong chance to be number 1 at Feirense this season after they sold their number 1. Alampasu is better than Akpeyi. Inexperienced but better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:41pm On Jul 20, 2017
Icon79:
Well, I gotta admit, I have not seen him play since the U-17 levels. But even if I were to take your word that he's been producing, would you want him to start for the SE even though, even though he has lost form, as you clearly stated?

O pari

read agai,, , I said it cost him, meaning injury and lost of form cost him game time,

but towards the end of last season he was back among the stick
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:42pm On Jul 20, 2017
The problem is players of the U23 category will have issues getting release from their club for ANOTHER AFCON. If you are speaking of the home based ones, it's fair that they must compete with the older players in the domestic league for a shot at SE.

chrisooblog:
apart from being an olympic qualifier an U23 tournament would help better bridge the gap between the U21s and the senior national team. plus it would help in generating a pool of young players for the national team who we have a fair opinion of being ready. we don't have much resources to go round so if i'm forced to choose between one tournament that brings young players through the ranks to one that doesn't necessarily improve the main national team in terms of addition of players then i choose youth everyday of the week

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 4:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
Nigeria goalkeeper crisis:Who will replace lkeme?

Nigeria goalkeeper Carl Ikeme's recent leukemia
diagnosis has exposed the gaping canyon that is
the country's shot-stopping stocks.
It wasn't so long ago that the Super Eagles could
trot out a trio of excellent goalkeepers in Vincent
Enyeama, Austin Ejide, and Dele Aiyenugba, but
these may not be the most viable options.
While Enyeama retired after a bitter bust-up with
former coach Sunday Oliseh, the latter two were
gradually eased out of the side. The holes
created by their exits were plastered over by the
introduction of Ikeme, whose size, athleticism,
organisational skills, and talent made up for the
fact that there was no decent backup beyond
him.

FC Ifeanyi Ubah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa
has not won the trust of national coach Gernot
Rohr, while Daniel Akpeyi has lost that trust after
his below-par performance in the defeat against
South Africa recently.
With World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon
looming on the horizon, here are the options
available to Rohr and his coaching staff.

VINCENT ENYEAMA

Although currently retired, such is Rohr's belief in
the 34-year-old that he has held multiple
conversations with the former captain in a bid to
convince him to make a comeback.
It is easy to see why. Despite his international
retirement, Enyeama continued to be one of the
best goalkeepers in Europe, consistently keeping
his place as the Lille's number one goalkeeper.
Only injury and subsequent surgery kept him out
of the last eight games of last season.
Although the club's new coach has frozen him
out, there are no shortage of suitors and
Enyeama is expected to start the new season
with a new club. If Rohr can convince him to
return, he would get an instant, quality solution
to his goalkeeping headache.

PROS
A 14-year Super Eagles veteran, Enyeama comes
with natural talent, hard work, bags of experience,
great organisational skills, and an ability to spot
and snuff out danger. With his foot skills, he can
also play a sweeper role. He would command the
respect of his defenders and instill confidence in
them. Additionally, his very name puts a fear
factor into opposition forwards

CONS
He might not want to return, and if he does, there
are already questions being asked about what is
return could do to dressing room unity and his
relationship with new captain John Mikel Obi.

DELE AIYENUGBA

For a long time, Aiyenugba was Enyeama's
deputy. While he's not always the most confident
of goalkeepers, he has the build and athleticism,
not to mention the experience, to come in and do
a good job in a pinch.

Aiyenugba has been starting goalkeeper during
his tenure in Israel, first with Bnei Yehuda --
where he was brought in as replacement for
Enyeama -- and since last season, with Hapoel
Ashkelon.

He never officially retired from the national team
and as expressed his willingness to come running
if called up.

PROS
Like Enyeama, Aiyenugba is an experienced
goalkeeper who has not only been playing
regularly at club lebel, but has done so at
international level, facing some of the world's top
strikers, including Lionel Messi.

CONS
He's been out of international football for a long
time. His last appearance was in 2011, when
Nigeria lost 1-3 to Argentina in an international
friendly in Bangladesh. Coming back to the side
for such a high-stakes game could lead to
disaster.

IKECHUKWU EZENWA

FC Ifeanyi Ubah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa
has been a consistent Super Eagles squad
member since 2015.
But it spoke loudly about the lack of confidence in
him that the first time Ikeme withdrew from the
Nigeria squad with an injury, Daniel Akpeyi was
called up from South Africa, and immediately
installed as starting keeper.

Ezenwa has shown ability when called upon, like
in games against Senegal, Togo and Corsica. The
28-year-old has a chance to make his case over
two legs of the 2017 African Nations
Championship (CHAN) qualifiers in mid-August.

PROS
Despite the seeming the lack of trust in him,
Ezenwa is quick off the mark and instinctively
reactive. Plus, he has been in the set-up since
2015 and is thus comfortable with the team and
the backline.

CONS
His biggest drawback could be that he does not
quite inspire confidence in the coaches, and that
somehow translates to his teammates and the
fans. Seeing his name on the starting sheet might
actually have the effect of giving confidence to
the opposition.

DELE ALAMPASU

A member of Nigeria's U-17 World Cup-winning
team in 2013, Alampasu is expected to be a long-
term goalkeeping option for the Super Eagles.
At a touch over 6 foot 6 inches, the 20-year-old
has the height and reach to cover the post. But
more importantly, he has natural talent, as he
proved at the cadet World Cup. What is missing
is experience. He is gradually gaining that in
Portugal, and as part of the Nigeria squad.

PROS
He's talented, tall, confident, and has strong
hands. His extended time with the senior squad
should help with adding a few feathers to the
confidence bow.

CONS
A lack of senior matches, especially at
international level, so he might not yet have the
presence to command his area and defence. http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3161193/nigeria-goalkeeper-crisis

(1) (2) (3) ... (1213) (1214) (1215) (1216) (1217) (1218) (1219) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.