Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,027 members, 7,825,236 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12928) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11730841 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12925) (12926) (12927) (12928) (12929) (12930) (12931) ... (16172) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cocking: 10:52pm On Mar 26, 2022
leathalbeast:
all these people will be shouting halleluyah in church on sunday, blatant liar! I also initially taught it was handball but the replay clearly showed one of the nigerian attackers foul him so if u didnt see that then u are a liar

Bros no spark, ur temperature don dey hot already for black star matter grin grin grin
Ok no vex, no be penalty ok grin grin
Make we focus on the 2nd leg at hand, after that game ehn, make I reserve my comment first grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 10:54pm On Mar 26, 2022
Cocking:

I'm sorry if I indirectly mentioned that company's name but I no beg any body make E play bet now, abi I promote gambling wey me self no know

Alright.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cocking: 10:55pm On Mar 26, 2022
Meliforme:

Alright.

But are u a pastor if I may ask?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 10:58pm On Mar 26, 2022
Cocking:

Bros no spark, ur temperature don dey hot already for black star matter grin grin grin
Ok no vex, no be penalty ok grin grin
Make we focus on the 2nd leg at hand, after that game ehn, make I reserve my comment first grin
hahahaha i no get ur time o, im worried about abuja stadium, fans can invade the pitch... From what i have seen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chidi1: 10:58pm On Mar 26, 2022
With regards to the match yesterday and the upcoming match on Tuesday, these are my views;

1. Ihenacho should have been replaced by onyeka in maybe the 60th minute, with Aribo moving upfront. Aribo, was played out of position.

2. The connection between midfield and attack was non-existent. I believe Amo can be used as a joker. Just release him when everyone is tired to cause havoc on the opponent.

3. The comparison between Okoye and Uzoho is finally settled. In as much as you cannot judge from a single game, Uzoho brings more positional awareness, composure and command of his line than Okoye.

4. We should learn to high press the Ghanaians. They make more mistakes when they are high pressed. On three occasions in which it occurred, they made mistakes. It even almost lead to a penalty.

5. We are in trouble, if we survive this world cup qualification match. Eguavon needs to update his coaching arsenal if we are to go far in the world cup. He still lives in the 90s, using the same Westerhoff principles. This is very predictable and can be easily stifled in the world cup.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cocking: 11:06pm On Mar 26, 2022
leathalbeast:
hahahaha i no get ur time o, im worried about abuja stadium, fans can invade the pitch... From what i have seen.

what are u talking about? Na federal capital territory ooo, Or are u implying that Ghanaians would angrily invade the pitch after thoroughly beating?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 11:08pm On Mar 26, 2022
Cocking:

what are u talking about? Na federal capital territory ooo, Or are u implying that Ghanaians would angrily invade the pitch after thoroughly beating?
i saw a pitch on the internet where fans invaded the pitch after the game... I will look for it and send it to you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 11:10pm On Mar 26, 2022
Make our team sha train for penalties.. It might get to dt cool

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:12pm On Mar 26, 2022
elyte89:
Make our team sha train for penalties.. It might get to dt cool
It won’t get to that

Una no rate our team Walai

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cocking: 11:16pm On Mar 26, 2022
leathalbeast:
i saw a pitch on the internet where fans invaded the pitch after the game... I will look for it and send it to you

It must be an FA cup final match between Enyimba Fc and Sharks Fc that ended 1-0 in favour of Enyimba something like dat, and Enyimba fans invaded the pitch or so... I no too remember sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 11:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
Cocking:

It must be an FA cup final match between Enyimba Fc and Sharks Fc that ended 1-0 in favour of Enyimba something like dat, and Enyimba fans invaded the pitch or so... I no too remember sha
it wasan international match between nigeria and sudan

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 11:26pm On Mar 26, 2022
Cocking:

But are u a pastor if I may ask?

I am a believer.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:27pm On Mar 26, 2022
Our boys are going through some intense shooting practice. grin

Baba saw the Shots at goal numbers and was raged. He better give the middle that minus one back abeg.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cocking: 11:31pm On Mar 26, 2022
leathalbeast:
it wasan international match between nigeria and sudan

I see, we go still invade the pitch Again after the SE empathic victory over Ghana,Na our field we go do wetin we like inside.
Why u come dey worried for our upcoming celebration method grin, no use paracetamol for our headache ooo grin

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Cocking: 11:34pm On Mar 26, 2022
Meliforme:

I am a believer.
A believer of Christ, u're welcome sir...
Make una help us pray for SE tomorrow for una celestial church abeg grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 12:22am On Mar 27, 2022
John, did you realize that most of the 50-50 calls went to Ghana? How do you explain that?

O pari

JohnBullMySon:
Make una calm down. There was nothing like ojoro or whatever in that game. The referee was just moved by light shoves. Even Ghana were looking for something in the box. The referee didn't listen to them as well.

Modified: I meant to say not moved.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 12:26am On Mar 27, 2022
Hahaha!!! That’s exactly the way I see it myself. Anyway, let that not surprise you because I heard that Ghanaian girls are something else. I mean, who am I to judge the poor refs shocked

O pari

Cocking:

grin grin grin I was baffled also...they want another version of Ghana vs south Africa Ojoro that night but the referee was just looking for soft spot that wasn't forthcoming bcoz he had been bribed in cash and in kind with those big black tempting bombom grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:39am On Mar 27, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
Don't write off Iheanacho like that. He has been responsible for so many of our much needed goals. Iheanacho is like a gamble. It goes either ways.

Iheanacho should be the alternative, not the norm, the way Origi is the alternative, not the norm. If Liverpool starts Origi every game like Eguavooen does with Iheanacho, Liverpool will be lower on the table than they are right now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:54am On Mar 27, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Tunisia that won away from home already ?

That Sissako guy should not be playing football. He has a weak mentality and is extremely error-prone and unlucky for a CB. I first noticed how poor he was since the game Genk beat Standard Liege 2-0 when Onuachu intercepted a very poor back pass from him to his keeper to score the second goal. Guy was literally crying after the goal, even had to be subbed off as he couldn't continue.

I still believe Mali can stage a comeback though. Their attack is too blunt, they don't score enough goals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 12:58am On Mar 27, 2022
Meliforme:
Now eyes are opening. My criticism of Eguavoen began even before the AFCON.

During AFCON i criticised his system of play and choice of players for a 4-4-2. Many celebrated his wins, i inferred the wins to the new coach syndrome and individual brilliance. Many said we played beautiful football, and i asked where and when was the beautiful football.

Eguavoen said he spent sleepless nights selecting his squad for the AFCON. I judged the scenario and said it is not good that he should spend sleepless nights over a task like that given that he is not new to the team, he should have known the players that will suit his system, and players that will struggle. After the sleepless nights, i saw his starting eleven, player positions, instructions and tactics, and somehow gave up.

This day, everything that i said of Eguavoen is begining to make sense to some people who were then still celebrating their new coach and making excuses for him.

Criticisms are good when the people being critisized are open to learning. I hope Eguavoen learns. Learning on the job is something that can happen to everybody.

One thing I like about Eguavoen from that Ghana game though is his ability to interpret the direction the game was going and at least make some tactical subs to solve specific problems. That Bassey sub for example was a tactical masterclass, it immediately killed all their attacks from that wing where the danger was. His only poor sub was taking out Aribo, If that was Iheanacho he took out it would have been perfect.

With Rohr, no matter how bad a game was going, the guy already had predetermined subs he would put in at 80 mins. I can't remember a game Rohr made tactical subs, his subs were either injury or vibes and inshallah.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 1:01am On Mar 27, 2022
andrewbaba44:

It won’t get to that

After that woeful performance, no be our fault.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by drDoom3(m): 1:05am On Mar 27, 2022
daveP:
Our boys are going through some intense shooting practice. grin

Baba saw the Shots at goal numbers and was raged. He better give the middle that minus one back abeg.

What we need is intense passing practice. We can't string 3 concurrent passes in midfield, what an embarassment for top league players. We should be high pressing and playing triangles in midfield not all this nonsense long ball and inshallah.

Funny thing is, our players are much better than Ghana ball on ground. Aribo and Nacho are excellent through-passers, just pass the ball on the ground and create chances.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:07am On Mar 27, 2022
drDoom3:

One thing I like about Eguavoen from that Ghana game though is his ability to interpret the direction the game was going and at least make some tactical subs to solve specific problems. That Bassey sub for example was a tactical masterclass, it immediately killed all their attacks from that wing where the danger was. His only poor sub was taking out Aribo, If that was Iheanacho he took out it would have been perfect.

With Rohr, no matter how bad a game was going, the guy already had predetermined subs he would put in at 80 mins. I can't remember a game Rohr made tactical subs, his subs were either injury or vibes and inshallah.
my thought is he was trying to preserve Aribo ahead of the second leg, he even tried taking off Moses early but had to take off Chuks instead when he got injured. I think he was trying to keep them for the return leg

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:51am On Mar 27, 2022
My preferred formation

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:54am On Mar 27, 2022
Nothing wrong practicing for penalties. That should be a fall back plan. Our Plan A should be killing it.

andrewbaba44:

It won’t get to that

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JohnBullMySon: 2:57am On Mar 27, 2022
Icon79:
John, did you realize that most of the 50-50 calls went to Ghana? How do you explain that?

O pari

Our players fell everywhere. Ghana's was restricted to near and inside the 18 yard box.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:59am On Mar 27, 2022
Wing play is not our strength. Attack is. If wing play were our strength our striker(s) will get the needed support. That our wingers can be easily neutralised shows that they are very predictable in their approach. We need dynamic wingers/strikers, who can operate from the wing from the run of play and easily switch to being a strikers. Dennis and Osimhen are the kind of forwards I just described. It makes our game unpredictable and Ghana defence will easily fall like a pack of cards. I just dropped my lineup. Thats how we need to operate. We have lots of strikers for a reason. Ighalo is not that kind of striker but he can definitely come in at some point.

chidi1:
With regards to the match yesterday and the upcoming match on Tuesday, these are my views;

1. Ihenacho should have been replaced by onyeka in maybe the 60th minute, with Aribo moving upfront. Aribo, was played out of position.

2. The connection between midfield and attack was non-existent. I believe Amo can be used as a joker. Just release him when everyone is tired to cause havoc on the opponent.

3. The comparison between Okoye and Uzoho is finally settled. In as much as you cannot judge from a single game, Uzoho brings more positional awareness, composure and command of his line than Okoye.

4. We should learn to high press the Ghanaians. They make more mistakes when they are high pressed. On three occasions in which it occurred, they made mistakes. It even almost lead to a penalty.

5. We are in trouble, if we survive this world cup qualification match. Eguavon needs to update his coaching arsenal if we are to go far in the world cup. He still lives in the 90s, using the same Westerhoff principles. This is very predictable and can be easily stifled in the world cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:02am On Mar 27, 2022
Bassey had some lapses. But for a young guy I would say he has a heart of steel, putting that show away on his debut. I expect to see him have a much improved performance in his second game for SE.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:05am On Mar 27, 2022
People just give Rohr undue credit because we had a rough patch before his arrival. Our problem then was administration.

safarigirl:

LOL

A veteran Super Eagles follower declared Rohr as our best coach in 20 years

I argued that record for record, Rohr is not even better than Keshi, and he decides to call me unintelligent amongst other things.

Yet, at no point did he mention how Rohr was better than Keshi. He mentioned that the team was in shambles from 2014-2017 and how we did not qualify for AFCON, but Keshi left the job during the qualifiers in 2014.

He even mentioned that Rohr has helped bring up players from the youth team, citing Osimhen, and I countered that Kelechi, Omeruo, Ndidi and co, are also graduates of the youth team.

Anyway, dem don insult me for Twitter because of Keshi and Rohr today.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:07am On Mar 27, 2022
I have so much respect for Okoye. It would be great to have such a keeper as our second choice. My first choice is Uzoho, firstly because he has World Cup experience. Secondly, he looks more composed and has more command of his area.

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 3:45am On Mar 27, 2022
andrewbaba44:

It won’t get to that

I don hear you. Every game is 50/50 oga. If it's certain we are winning before the whistle is blown, then there is no point playing the game, FIFA should just kukuma award the qualification to us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 3:51am On Mar 27, 2022
Joebie:
My preferred formation
Nice one, I would replace bassey with Omeruo and Dennis with Iheanacho for my own starting 11 o.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12925) (12926) (12927) (12928) (12929) (12930) (12931) ... (16172) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Posh(m), dijon, kayburner and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.