Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1495) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11698056 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1492) (1493) (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 10:39pm On Sep 11, 2017
Icon4s:

NTA that can terminate a live match broadcast to show Political aspirant declaration.
That thing can pepper die, like the other time nigeria was playing a match and FMR president yaradua came back from germany, na so match end for us oooo sad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 10:39pm On Sep 11, 2017
Naijaphobia:
Bros! Ur thought my thought..... Was only teasing those who felt NPFL teams play only anywhere-belle-face style of football.Those guys would have won easily had it not been the rigors of settling down.Remember Sierra Leone have been in Ghana for days.

That is the same way Zambia will fall and bow to the King of the Birds...(Eagles) in Uyo after training for 1 year in Europe just to prepare for this crunch encounter. Hehehe make dem ask the indomitable lions (though dominated as someone here once said). Talk is cheap shaa...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:40pm On Sep 11, 2017
kentebemoney:

That thing can pepper die, like the other time nigeria was playing a match and FMR president yaradua came back from germany, na so match end for us oooo sad

Na so
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:42pm On Sep 11, 2017
libero808:
He was said to be the joker in that team.
It was a classy one. Seems he is a lefty.

I agree but i'm not sure I think he uses right. Most his crosses were right and his goal was on his right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2017
libero808:
away or home should carry weight na.
we all know it actually matters in football

well lets check that ranking tool by this time next month

Yeah. I feel so too. But I feel FIFA is trying not to introduce too many ambiguities into the calculations.
For Eg if less points are awarded for winning at home then that will be unfair for teams hosting major events like the World cup or other tournaments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2017
Napoleon55:
Raul,Spanish greatest striker of all time and the best striker in the world at that time('98/99)
Luis Enrique,one of the best midfielders of his time,
Zubizaretta,one of the Spanish greatest goalkeepers,
Hiero.
does this players ring bell to your ears?
Zubizarreta
Andoni Zubizarreta
Albert Ferrer
Alkorta
Nadal
Ivan Campo
Hierro
Sergi
Luis Enrique
Francisco 'Kiko' Narvaez
ALFONSO Perez Munoz
Raul
Goalkeeper
Defender
Defender
Defender/Centre back
Defender/Left back
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder/Forward
Forward
Starting lineup:
Peter Rufai
Uche Okechukwu
Mobi Oparaku
Taribo West
Celestine Babayaro
Mutiu Adepoju
Garba Lawal
Jay Jay Okocha
Sunday Oliseh
Finidi George
Victor Ikpeba
Substitutions:
Guillermo Amor for Albert Ferrer 46
Joseba Etxeberria for
ALFONSO Perez Munoz 57
Alberto Celades Lopez for Nadal 76
Substitutions:
Rachidi Yekini for Mobi Oparaku 69
Tijana Babangida for Victor Ikpeba 83
Godwin Okpara for Garba Lawal 90
These were the starting 11's of the two nations. Now could you please name the clubs of those spanish players right there.

Luis Enrique is a good midfielder no doubt, but he played the tournament more as a forward. Enrique is considered a great player because of his versatility but not a great midfielder.

Do you know why Casillas broke into the team at 17? Yeah, Zubbiz-whatever is a great GK indeed. Now like I said, compare the clubs these nigerians were playing to the ones their spanish counterparts were playing for then
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:49pm On Sep 11, 2017
Eligreat247:

That is the same way Zambia will fall and bow to the King of the Birds...(Eagles) in Uyo after training for 1 year in Europe just to prepare for this crunch encounter. Hehehe make dem ask the indomitable lions (though dominated as someone here once said). Talk is cheap shaa...
grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 10:52pm On Sep 11, 2017
That's a very good point.

Icon4s:

Yeah. I feel so too. But I feel FIFA is trying not to introduce too many ambiguities into the calculations.
For Eg if less points are awarded for winning at home then that will be unfair for teams hosting major events like the World cup or other tournaments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:52pm On Sep 11, 2017
Nigeria V Ghana on Thursday!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 10:54pm On Sep 11, 2017
I was talking about Moses Peter

BascoVanVeli:

I agree but i'm not sure I think he uses right. Most his crosses were right and his goal was on his right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:05pm On Sep 11, 2017
libero808:
I was talking about Moses Peter

o ok sorry about that. Yea I think u are right about that but he seems to be comfortable with both.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 11:06pm On Sep 11, 2017
If you beat Brazil at the WC

P = M*I*T*C
P = 3 * 4 * 200 * 1

If you lose to Cyprus at the WC
P = 0 * 4 * 50 * 0.99

50 (T) is the minimum allocated to any opponent ranked 150th and below
200 (T) is given to the highest ranked opposition
For countries ranked 2nd to 149th, we use the formula 200 - Rank, to calculate for T.

Icon4s:

That factor 'T' is very powerful. If you record a win over a very strong opposition you get for eg +10. If you lose to a very weak opponent you get for eg -10. 2 X 4X1X10 = 80
2X4X1X (-10) = -80

So the weaker the strength of the opposition you lose to the more your ranking points would be negated.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 11:09pm On Sep 11, 2017
Both legs, that's awesome

BascoVanVeli:

o ok sorry about that. Yea I think u are right about that but he seems to be comfortable with both.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:11pm On Sep 11, 2017
libero808:
If you beat Brazil at the WC

P = M*I*T*C
P = 3 * 4 * 200 * 1

If you lose to Cyprus at the WC
P = 0 * 4 * 50 * 0.99

50 (T) is the minimum allocated to any opponent ranked 150th and below
200 (T) is given to the highest ranked opposition
For countries ranked 2nd to 149th, we use the formula 200 - Rank, to calculate for T.

So what makes teams drop ranking points?

Where does the negative come in?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:13pm On Sep 11, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Nigeria V Ghana on Thursday!!
time please
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueldodo781(m): 11:14pm On Sep 11, 2017
Iheanacho.........i think this is good for his fitness. Let see who starts behind Vardy this weekend
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:14pm On Sep 11, 2017
Mickael2:
Zubizarreta
Andoni Zubizarreta
Albert Ferrer
Alkorta
Nadal
Ivan Campo
Hierro
Sergi
Luis Enrique
Francisco 'Kiko' Narvaez
ALFONSO Perez Munoz
Raul
Goalkeeper
Defender
Defender
Defender/Centre back
Defender/Left back
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder/Forward
Forward
Starting lineup:
Peter Rufai
Uche Okechukwu
Mobi Oparaku
Taribo West
Celestine Babayaro
Mutiu Adepoju
Garba Lawal
Jay Jay Okocha
Sunday Oliseh
Finidi George
Victor Ikpeba
Substitutions:
Joseba Etxeberria for
ALFONSO Perez Munoz 57
Substitutions:
These were the starting 11's of the two nations. Now could you please name the clubs of those spanish players right there.

Luis Enrique is a good midfielder no doubt, but he played the tournament more as a forward. Enrique is considered a great player because of his versatility but not a great midfielder.

Do you know why Casillas broke into the team at 17? Yeah, Zubbiz-whatever is a great GK indeed. Now like I said, compare the clubs these nigerians were playing to the ones their spanish counterparts were playing for then

Maybe you were too young then. Off the top of my head, I can tel you Sergi, Barcelona, Hierro, Real Madrid, Campo, Real Madrid, Etxebberria, Atletico Bilbao. During the preview shows of the World Cup, our group was tagged the group of death. I think Group D. Gillette World Sport analyst said Spain will easily win the group and any of the other three will come second. The Spanish team was made of brilliant stars.

I can not remember the club Alfonso played for but he was so skillful and delightful to watch. He used to wear white boots.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:16pm On Sep 11, 2017
victor moses and moses simon scored against cameroon,moses okoro and moses peter scores against sierra leone. . Baba God,pick my call o. Why always Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22pm On Sep 11, 2017
Mickael2:
Zubizarreta
Andoni Zubizarreta
Albert Ferrer
Alkorta
Nadal
Ivan Campo
Hierro
Sergi
Luis Enrique
Francisco 'Kiko' Narvaez
ALFONSO Perez Munoz
Raul
Goalkeeper
Defender
Defender
Defender/Centre back
Defender/Left back
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder
Midfielder/Forward
Forward
Starting lineup:
Peter Rufai
Uche Okechukwu
Mobi Oparaku
Taribo West
Celestine Babayaro
Mutiu Adepoju
Garba Lawal
Jay Jay Okocha
Sunday Oliseh
Finidi George
Victor Ikpeba
Substitutions:
Joseba Etxeberria for
ALFONSO Perez Munoz 57
Substitutions:

I missed Campo. He was at Mallorca. It was that France 98 Spanish team that kindled my love for Tiki Taka. Keeping the ball on the ground and passing it smoothly. During the Nigeria match, the commentator kept saying Nigeria needs to hit the ball harder to beat Zubi.

Keep in mind, for two years, the Spanish team did not lose a match in thirty games before France 98. They were a real strong side.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:25pm On Sep 11, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I missed Campo. He was at Mallorca. It was that France 98 Spanish team that kindled my love for Tiki Taka. Keeping the ball on the ground and passing it smoothly. During the Nigeria match, the commentator kept saying Nigeria needs to hit the ball harder to beat Zubi.

Keep in mind, for two years, the Spanish team did not lose a match in thirty games before France 98. They were a real strong side.

Just browsed Campo's wiki, he joined Madrid in 1998. Cos, I knew him as a Madrid player. That was a brutal team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:41pm On Sep 11, 2017
About 3-4 matches were played at agege stadium as late as 7pm. its been done before and can be done again!
kentebemoney:

No be lie, some stadiums have flood light and 6:45 pm for the second game makes sense, they finish on time for the 9pm news and they get to play under flood light and less heat with people chilling in their houses, especially sunday evenings should be for star games.

how u see am?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:42pm On Sep 11, 2017
Well, that's your preference but doesn't hold water in reality!
Icon4s:

I prefer our rankings to be in the hands of the Main Super Eagles.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 11:44pm On Sep 11, 2017
My broda if this is the home base players you always fighting for, let them proof themselves so we know at least they are capable!! If They wanna play for super eagle, no excuses in regards to sierra Leone..

BascoVanVeli:

U always kill me with this philosophy because someone else makes it through hell makes hell acceptable. No need to argue then because u are just searching for a reason to bash these guys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 11:56pm On Sep 11, 2017
I don't know exactly how they arrive at the points from the links so far.
I only see how they arrive at the total points for each matches played.
How they put it together to form an aggregate points for each month is still a mystery to me.

Icon4s:

So what makes teams drop ranking points?

Where does the negative come in?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:01am On Sep 12, 2017
kentebemoney:

Seriously !!!!!
am excited and i look forward to it, hopefully we should get to see at least 4 matches per weekend and long highlights of all matches.

Ten matches per week
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:03am On Sep 12, 2017
somehow:
To show 4 matches in a week might be difficult since all match days are played at the same time. except there is a change in time. lets say 1pm for some games and 4 pm for another. you know NTA don't joke with their 6 pm news.

For now, most matches are played 4pm and some are shifted to 7pm
Modified
Not only 4 , NTA will show all 10 matches...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:04am On Sep 12, 2017
The team will have to be wary against Ghana.

Apparently, some shady tactics were emploued for them to make it tighis stage. The Gambian FA is protesting a shoddy penalty given to Ghana in the 97th minute of their game which denied Gambia the opportunity to win via penalty shoot-out.

Home advantage is big in African football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:05am On Sep 12, 2017
Icon4s:

NTA that can terminate a live match broadcast to show Political aspirant declaration.

My fear but according to the contract... It will made other cable channels have access to it... Then super sport star times and the likes can comes in
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:12am On Sep 12, 2017
bengine:

My broda if this is the home base players you always fighting for, let them proof themselves so we know at least they are capable!! If They wanna play for super eagle, no excuses in regards to sierra Leone..

Umm....the match is over we won.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 12:16am On Sep 12, 2017
But isn't Ghana hosting?

safarigirl:
The team will have to be wary against Ghana.

Apparently, some shady tactics were emploued for them to make it tighis stage. The Gambian FA is protesting a shoddy penalty given to Ghana in the 97th minute of their game which denied Gambia the opportunity to win via penalty shoot-out.

Home advantage is big in African football
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:18am On Sep 12, 2017
Details of the contract with NTA... Just hope it works out well and attach within is a tweet from Collin Udoh about the showing of 10 matches come next season..

LMC, NTA sign broadcast production agreement
Published on Friday, 08 September 2017 10:32 Hits: 3677

A broadcast production agreement was on Thursday in Abuja signed by the League Management Company (LMC) and the Nigeria Television Authority (NTA) for production of matches of the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL).

The papers were signed by the LMC Chairman Shehu Dikko and Mallam Yakubu Ibn Muhammed, the Director General of NTA.

An official statement jointly signed by the heads of the two organizations indicate that the LMC and NTA would be setting up a private sector driven company to manage the business of the broadcast production.

According to the statement, “the company which shall be operated as a private, commercial venture will leverage its operations on the huge infrastructure, technical and human capacity and equipment of NTA spread across the country. The equipment includes very high grade eight Outside Broadcast (OB) Vans specially designed for football and sports coverage, which had been acquired by the Federal Government at huge cost.”

It marks a new vista in the management of broadcast content in the annals of professional football league in the country as hitherto; broadcast right holders have also produced the games. However, in the new dispensation, the LMC treading the path of some European football leagues such as the English Premier League and Spanish LaLiga, is aiming to control the production and distribution of broadcast content across all media including live streaming, terrestrial and cable platforms.

This landmark venture has been facilitated and strongly supported by the Federal Government of Nigeria represented by the Honourable Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed. It is a culmination of strategic engagement initiated by LMC officials with the Minister of Information and Culture seeking to deploy the vast equipment procured by the Federal Government on behalf of NTA for past FIFA tournaments hosted by Nigeria. NTA also enjoys a robust network spread in the country with stations in every state capital and which the LMC hopes to leverage on to take the NPFL to the homes of millions of Nigerians in cities and rural communities.

Dikko, at the ceremony, explained that LMC will towards meeting modern broadcast standards, assist NTA to upgrade the OB Van equipment to ensure that contents produced will be globally competitive.

“The operation of the company, as envisaged will rely on the services of international technical partners and domestic expertise to provide the much needed vehicle for the production of high quality programmes and events for broadcast in the sports and entertainment industries. This model is in keeping with proven international best practices in sports content production, distribution and broadcast,” the two organizations declared in their joint statement.

Continuing, they gave an assurance that “as from next season of the NPFL, Nigerians are, therefore, assured of the enjoyment of high quality football matches to be produced by the independent media services company for distribution, sales and broadcast across all media platforms on a domestic and global basis.

Dikko noted that the production company will serve national objectives as it is not be restricted to just football or sports production but such other industries like entertainment and cultural, political and business events in general.

“All over the world, countries develop because they have a standard production broadcast company with capacity to serve not just the sporting industry but also the entertainment industry. We are delighted that the Federal Government, through the Ministry of Information, has backed this project and we look further to other fantastic partnerships,” the LMC Chairman concluded.

"For us, this is just another step for NTA to stamp its authority as the biggest broadcast network in Africa. We have the widest reach and sports, especially football is a big industry, and we are happy to be in partnership with the LMC and NFF,” Muhammed said.

Also in attendance at the event which held inside the Conference Hall of NTA were the General Secretary of the NFF, Dr Sanusi Mohammed, Director-General of the NTA, Chief Operating Officer of the LMC, Mallam Salihu Abubakar, Samson Ebomhe, Legal Adviser to LMC and other top management staff of the NTA.

http://www.npfl.ng/index.php/news-features/lmc-news-updates/2461-lmc-nta-sign-broadcast-production-agreement

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:19am On Sep 12, 2017
libero808:
But isn't Ghana hosting?

that's the point of "Home advantage"

(1) (2) (3) ... (1492) (1493) (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone, Macaranta23, chuks404 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.