Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,822 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1496) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11696561 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1493) (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 12:21am On Sep 12, 2017
okay.
well but why the talk of winning by shoot-outs?
The WAFU Nations cup have already started.
Are they not at the group stage?
Maybe I did not get you.

safarigirl:
that's the point of "Home advantage"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:23am On Sep 12, 2017
Plsss forgive it is coming kinda late... but I hail you back Sir Basco... 2-0 is great for a start in this Wafu cup "right off the bus" wink

Well done Lads... smiley

BascoVanVeli:

My super duper homie I hail u o.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:24am On Sep 12, 2017
mostob:
time please

4pm but I am not 100% sure.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:31am On Sep 12, 2017
How? how will they show 10 matches at a stretch? even Supersports cant show all 10 EPL matches nor skysports.
soetanoreoluwa:

Modified
Not only 4 , NTA will show all 10 matches...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:36am On Sep 12, 2017
libero808:
okay.
well but why the talk of winning by shoot-outs?
The WAFU Nations cup have already started.
Are they not at the group stage?
Maybe I did not get you.

the round we just played leads to the actual group stage. In order to get to this round, one winner was necessary from each game, it's like a play-off.

If after 90 mins + ET, there were no goals, a penalty shoot-out would be necessary and that was where the Ghana vs Gambia game was heading before the ref gave Ghana a penalty that was uncalled for according to their FA.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:38am On Sep 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Plsss forgive it is coming kinda late... but I hail you back Sir Basco... 2-0 is great for a start in this Wafu cup "right off the bus" wink

Well done Lads... smiley

My brother if I have to be honest I was a bit scared about the result because these men are only human but they were tough and gutsy. I think this team is capable of much more and they have the mindset to deliver.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by libero808(f): 12:40am On Sep 12, 2017
Oh I see!
They wanted to guarantee the hosts make the groups stage.

Thanks Safarigirl goodnight
safarigirl:
the round we just played leads to the actual group stage. In order to get to this round, one winner was necessary from each game, it's like a play-off.

If after 90 mins + ET, there were no goals, a penalty shoot-out would be necessary and that was where the Ghana vs Gambia game was heading before the ref gave Ghana a penalty that was uncalled for according to their FA.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:55am On Sep 12, 2017
Just saw a clip and major highlights of the second half on You-tube.... The lads did well. And Osas Okoro is not a new name to us... Guys like you and Goldfish80 have been singing his name in our ears recently.... he is quality and I have always known that he can hit rockets and curlers from freekicks.

This is a good start... they may have taken time to take off but they eventually did and I only hope they can do better.

And kudos to Wafu and Foxsports... Foxsports wanna use this medium to enter the West African Sports business market and Wafu is taking full advantage too... great exposure for our boys as some parts of north america get to view the WAFU cup too. All the best Home-based Super Eagles... fly well... smiley

Finally, Well done Sir Basco... your faith in the home based lads cannot be faulted.... I salute that. Kudos Once again.

BascoVanVeli:

My brother if I have to be honest I was a bit scared about the result because these men are only human but they were tough and gutsy. I think this team is capable of much more and they have the mindset to deliver.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:59am On Sep 12, 2017
somehow:
How? how will they show 10 matches at a stretch? even Supersports cant show all 10 EPL matches nor skysports.

Kindly read my previous post sir...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:03am On Sep 12, 2017
I doubt the live, maybe there would be camera coverage but a selected few would be shown live on matchday. like i said, i doubt NPFL showing all 10 matches live simultaneously. Until then though.
soetanoreoluwa:

Kindly read my previous post sir...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:04am On Sep 12, 2017
Loolll... Chief Chief.... Hahaha... it is not for lack of confidence he brought up the challenges they were up against just in case they failed to win.... but it is for and because of the actual love and belief he has in them that made him point out those factors standing against them. Even some of the best and most talented have failed in the face of daunting challenges.... wink

But it is good to see that the boys surmounted the odds and flew high today... they can only get better I pray. smiley

Icon4s:

Boys that he doesn't have confidence in. Already giving excuses in case they fail.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:06am On Sep 12, 2017
WAFU CUP – Osas Okoro, Peter Eneji Power Super Eagles To Win Over Sierra Leone

Nigeria got their campaign at the regional WAFU Cup tournament off to a flying start with a 2- 0 win over their counterparts from Sierra Leone to progress to the group stage of the tournament.

Sierra Leone dominated the first half of the encounter but found goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa of Nigeria a hard nut to crack during the first 45 minutes.

The second half saw a much improved Nigerian side and their dominance paid off late into the game, when the duo of Osas Okoro and Peter Eneji found the back of the net.

Enugu Rangers flying wing back Okoro opened scoring for Nigeria in the 82nd minutes, while Eneji who starred for Nigeria League Champions Plateau United doubled their lead three
minutes before full time.

The team consisting of players from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) will play their first group game against Ghana on Thursday.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/11/wafu-cup-osas-okoro-peter-eneji-power-super-eagles-to-win-over-sierra-leone/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:11am On Sep 12, 2017
Super Eagles Player Ratings : High Marks For GK Ezenwa, Rabiu Ali & Osas

Allnigeriasoccer.com rates the performance of players of the Super Eagles at the Cape Coast Stadium as Nigeria reached the 2017 WAFU Cup group stage after a crucial 2-0 win over Sierra Leone on Monday night.

Enugu Rangers wing back Osas Okoro opened the scoring for the Eagles from a free kick on 84 minutes.

Peter Moses Eneji, who plays for Plateau United in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) sealed the win for Yusuf Salisu's men in the entertaining duel.

Starting XI:

Ikechukwu Ezenwa 8/10
The FC Ifeanyi Ubah goalkeeper pulled series of saves to deny the rampaging Sierra Leone attackers and kept the pressure off the defense.

Osas Okoro 8/10
Awesome display from the Rangers man. He was solid defensively and eye-catching going forward. He was the man that came to the party with a sweet free kick that went beyond the keeper.

Chima Akas 7/10
The Enyimba left back ventured forward at will. He almost scored from one of his forays upfront.

Stephen Eze 7/10
Had a mixed season with FC Ifeanyi Ubah but was a tower of defense at the back in the game. Great display from the strong man.

Emmanuel Ariwachukwu 7/10
Scored high marks on the night. The Sierra Leone strikeforce was no match for the defensive abilities of the Akwa United enforcer.

Afeez Aremu 5/10
An average show on the part of the former Sharks midfielder. He made up for his lack of ball distribution with his hardworking style.

Ifeanyi Ifeanyi 6/10
Good performance from Ifeanyi Ifeanyi. He dropped deep to work hard, linked well and flourished in his midfield role.

Rabiu Ali 8/10
Bossed the midfield and distributed passes. The Kano Pillars playmaker was a delight to watch and bossed his territory.

Samuel Mathias 4/10
The flop of the match. It was a surprise that Mathias hardly got things going. He was hauled off in the second stanza.

Kingsley Eduwo 6/10
Crawled from a periphery first-half performance to brighten up Nigeria's attack in the second-half.
Eduwo got involved at the final third and was often getting his team mates in key positions.

Anthony Okpotu 4.5/10
The NPFL top scorer was a pedestrian at the battle field. He didn't really get into scoring positions and was often isolated.

Substitutes:

Gabriel Okechukwu 7/10
The winger lived up to expectation with his workaholic display but was just denied of his opportunity to shoot from range. Good display.

Ubong Friday 7/10
The winger dazzled on the flanks and caused problems for the Sierra Leone lateral defence with his nimble foot, pace and skills.

Peter Moses Eneji 7.5/10
Eneji repaid the faith shown in him by Eagles coach Salisu with an insurance goal that was worth a carat of diamond.
He was at the right place to punish the Sierra Leonians.

**Abayomi Ademetan

Source: http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24597

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:42am On Sep 12, 2017
Watched the Nigerian WAFU game on Youtube, Moses Eneji is my pick.... Really talented player. I do not know how old he is but if he is still young, he needs a European club ASAP.. I will like to see him again.

Rabiu Ali is 37?? He is still in great shape. He is certainly one player that used his true age.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:48am On Sep 12, 2017
The Group stage of #WAFUCup2017 hosted by Ghana will see Nigeria pitched against Ghana and Two others in Group B..

Group B:

Ghana (Hosts)
Nigeria
Guinea
Mali

As already said by Safarigirl and a few others, Nigeria's next game is against Ghana on Thursday. #WestAfrica'sBiggestRivalry Anytime Anyday Anywhere Any level.... wink

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 1:51am On Sep 12, 2017
kentebemoney:

That thing can pepper die, like the other time nigeria was playing a match and FMR president yaradua came back from germany, na so match end for us oooo sad
ur moniker though, i know of an elder statesman Edwin Kentebe from my state Bayelsa, though late are u related to him? just curious wink wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 1:58am On Sep 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Just saw a clip and major highlights of the second half on You-tube.... The lads did well. And Osas Okoro is not a new name to us... Guys like you and Goldfish80 have been singing his name in our ears recently.... he is quality and I have always known that he can hit rockets and curlers from freekicks.

This is a good start... they may have taken time to take off but they eventually did and I only hope they can do better.

And kudos to Wafu and Foxsports... Foxsports wanna use this medium to enter the West African Sports business market and Wafu is taking full advantage too... great exposure for our boys as some parts of north america get to view the WAFU cup too. All the best Home-based Super Eagles... fly well... smiley

Finally, Well done Sir Basco... your faith in the home based lads cannot be faulted.... I salute that. Kudos Once again.

the lads really tried, though i didnt get to watch the match but i followed the match commentaries and updates via brila fm abuja. as of the 70th min it was still a goalless affair, im sure they were able to hit 2 past the Sierra Leoneans in the closings stages. they did us proud. weldone to them.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 2:01am On Sep 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
WAFU CUP – Osas Okoro, Peter Eneji Power Super Eagles To Win Over Sierra Leone

Nigeria got their campaign at the regional WAFU Cup tournament off to a flying start with a 2- 0 win over their counterparts from Sierra Leone to progress to the group stage of the tournament.

Sierra Leone dominated the first half of the encounter but found goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa of Nigeria a hard nut to crack during the first 45 minutes.

The second half saw a much improved Nigerian side and their dominance paid off late into the game, when the duo of Osas Okoro and Peter Eneji found the back of the net.

Enugu Rangers flying wing back Okoro opened scoring for Nigeria in the 82nd minutes, while Eneji who starred for Nigeria League Champions Plateau United doubled their lead three
minutes before full time.

The team consisting of players from the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) will play their first group game against Ghana on Thursday.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/09/11/wafu-cup-osas-okoro-peter-eneji-power-super-eagles-to-win-over-sierra-leone/
wishing the lads all the best against the hard tackling keinke eating home based black stars. we need to stamp our superiority over our noisy neighbours cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:05am On Sep 12, 2017
Sir Mikron.... smiley Good to hear from you again Sir.... trust Abuja is fine. Keep taking good care of you abeg oooo.... wink

mikron:
the lads really tried, though i didnt get to watch the match but i followed the match commentaries and updates via brila fm abuja. as of the 70th min it was still a goalless affair, im sure they were able to hit 2 past the Sierra Leoneans in the closings stages. they did us proud. weldone to them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 2:05am On Sep 12, 2017
green is the colour and football is the game. here we march again. the land is always green.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 2:11am On Sep 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Sir Mikron.... smiley Good to hear from you again Sir.... trust Abuja is fine. Keep taking good care of you abeg oooo.... wink

my paddy how ur side, abuja is always fine bro, we dey look buhari hand cheesy cheesy cheesy
were u able to watch the match? i mean the Home based eagles vs the lone stars of sierra leone?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:11am On Sep 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I missed Campo. He was at Mallorca. It was that France 98 Spanish team that kindled my love for Tiki Taka. Keeping the ball on the ground and passing it smoothly. During the Nigeria match, the commentator kept saying Nigeria needs to hit the ball harder to beat Zubi.

Keep in mind, for two years, the Spanish team did not lose a match in thirty games before France 98. They were a real strong side.
the most annoying part is that he tried to rubbish zubizareta, who's one of the best gk in Europe then, FYI Casillas didn't take over from zubizareta he took over from canizares.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:14am On Sep 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Maybe you were too young then. Off the top of my head, I can tel you Sergi, Barcelona, Hierro, Real Madrid, Campo, Real Madrid, Etxebberria, Atletico Bilbao. During the preview shows of the World Cup, our group was tagged the group of death. I think Group D. Gillette World Sport analyst said Spain will easily win the group and any of the other three will come second. The Spanish team was made of brilliant stars.

I can not remember the club Alfonso played for but he was so skillful and delightful to watch. He used to wear white boots.
God bless you bro, Alfonso was my best player at Euro 2000, delightful player his late goal against Yugoslavia was a real beauty

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:29am On Sep 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Loolll... Chief Chief.... Hahaha... it is not for lack of confidence he brought up the challenges they were up against just in case they failed to win.... but it is for and because of the actual love and belief he has in them that made him point out those factors standing against them. Even some of the best and most talented have failed in the face of daunting challenges.... wink

But it is good to see that the boys surmounted the odds and flew high today... they can only get better I pray. smiley

He was already conceding defeat just because the Sierra Leoneans have been in Ghana since last week while our boys just arrived yesterday. Nigerians' never say die attitude will always prevail.

These are boys that travel by road from Port Harcourt to Maiduguri or vice versa and arrive on match day and still go and play. Not that it is right but It is something they have been used to. Not expecting them to beat Sierra Leone even under such circumstance shows he doesn't have confidence in the team.

There was nothing the NFF could do about the late arrival because the league just ended on Saturday and all these boys were key players in their respective campaigns. The players haven to travel from different corners of the country to Abuja the earliest possible date to leave Nigeria was Sunday night which was still already late.
There is no blaming the NFF on this one.

I am very glad the boys won as this will boost their confidence level as they prepare for CHAN in January.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:01am On Sep 12, 2017
libero808:
I don't know exactly how they arrive at the points from the links so far.
I only see how they arrive at the total points for each matches played.
How they put it together to form an aggregate points for each month is still a mystery to me.

I believe there are negative factors attached to loses and draws. It may not have been displayed in the formula but it does exist. Which is why you see teams lose ranking points when they lose or draw. Points are deducted. Just as just for that 1-0 lose to Benin our ranking points will drop from 715 to 696 even despite the 4-0 win over Cameroon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:17am On Sep 12, 2017
mikron:
my paddy how ur side, abuja is always fine bro, we dey look buhari hand cheesy cheesy cheesy
were u able to watch the match? i mean the Home based eagles vs the lone stars of sierra leone?
what part of Abuja do you stay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 7:18am On Sep 12, 2017
How come some players do not have name printed on their jersey. Na wah o!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:20am On Sep 12, 2017
zoboizee:
How come some players do not have name printed on their jersey. Na wah o!
some of them printed thfir name. What baffles me most is that,there is no captain on the field.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:24am On Sep 12, 2017
I am doing great Sir... thank you very much smiley And no oooo... I couldn't watch the game live but later saw a clip of the full second half and major highlights of the match from YouTube...

mikron:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:28am On Sep 12, 2017
Chief Icon4s.... biko just give Sir Basco a break on this one.... wink Lol

And yeah... a good confidence booster ahead of the CHAN....

Icon4s:

He was already conceding defeat just because the Sierra Leoneans have been in Ghana since last week while our boys just arrived yesterday. Nigerians' never say die attitude will always prevail.

These are boys that travel by road from Port Harcourt to Maiduguri or vice versa and arrive on match day and still go and play. Not that it is right but It is something they have been used to. Not expecting them to beat Sierra Leone even under such circumstance shows he doesn't have confidence in the team.

There was nothing the NFF could do about the late arrival because the league just ended on Saturday and all these boys were key players in their respective campaigns. The players haven to travel from different corners of the country to Abuja the earliest possible date to leave Nigeria was Sunday night which was still already late.
There is no blaming the NFF on this one.

I am very glad the boys won as this will boost their confidence level as they prepare for CHAN in January.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:28am On Sep 12, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

actually, I thinks osas is a brother to our ex-youth timer Stanley, who went awol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:33am On Sep 12, 2017
Yeah.... I did read about that too.... I mean the sibling link.

do4luv14:

actually, I thinks osas is a brother to our ex-youth timer Stanley, who went awol

(1) (2) (3) ... (1493) (1494) (1495) (1496) (1497) (1498) (1499) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, komekn(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.