Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1500) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11697141 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) (1501) (1502) (1503) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:36pm On Sep 12, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

the first match was a knock out match and now they are in the group stages. The best 2 teams will make it to the semi-finals and so on.

OK. thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:37pm On Sep 12, 2017
Joebie:
libero808 you are officially our second lady. The other girls either spy or pop up to give one comment or two. We hope that they would become like both of you.

even ESEOSE9,

wey go jst balance for balcony dry look
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 2:40pm On Sep 12, 2017
OMANBALA1:

My observations.

which observation

the guy is moving from strength to strength,

from doulbe header against Benin rep, to double header against Cameroon, and now WAFU,

give the guy his respect even if small he more than deserve it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:46pm On Sep 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Definitely it is not 1985.

Even the wiki link says this.

In 1983 in Nigeria when Shehu Shagari was the President of Nigeria, an executive order was given to immigrants without proper immigration documents to leave the country or they would be arrested according to the law. Most of the immigrants were West Africans and mainly Ghanaians. Over 2 million men, women and children were affected by this news and decision of then President of Nigeria, Shehu Shagari

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghana_Must_Go
Ghana started it all,in 70s Nigerians were force to leave Ghana.It was a retaliation from Nigeria government.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:49pm On Sep 12, 2017
do4luv14:

which observation

the guy is moving from strength to strength,

from doulbe header against Benin rep, to double header against Cameroon, and now WAFU,

give the guy his respect even if small he more than deserve it

I agree with you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 3:09pm On Sep 12, 2017
Icon4s:

I agree with you.

I jst don't know what some of us were thinking those days?

five matches played, two goals cancelled,
three wins,
one lose
one draw

yet he is still observing, chaiii na wa o, original wa ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 3:26pm On Sep 12, 2017
Rohr Expects Ikeme To Be Fit If Nigeria Make It To World Cup 2018
September 12, 2017

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr is hopeful that sick goalkeeper of the senior national team of Nigeria Carl Ikeme will be fit for Nigeria if they make it to the World Cup 2018 in Russia.

Ikeme was diagnosed with Leukaemia few months ago during a routine medical with his English Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers, and it lead to a mini crisis for Nigeria in the goalkeeping department.

Rohr who has since initiated talks with former Nigeria captain and goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama is however hopeful that Ikeme will return on time ahead of their campaign at the World Cup 2018 in Russia.

According to the Franco-German coach, Ikeme is responding positively to treatment, and if all goes according to plan, he will definitely be in the Nigerian team for the World Cup, where they need one more win from their remaining two games to qualify.

“Carl Ikeme is recovering well and the team believes he will be ready if the Super Eagles qualified for the World Cup,” he said.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:35pm On Sep 12, 2017
Huh

Omo, kilo happened

O pari

do4luv14:

you done come oooo, shey you no no wia south African dey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:36pm On Sep 12, 2017
Bingo! You nailed it, bro!!

He ain't gonna start and we'll make sure of that. Even if that means another declaration of fasting and prayers.

O pari

Danielnino00:

No worries egbon..He won't start .. We shall pray against it again grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 3:55pm On Sep 12, 2017
Nigeria In Search For Another Jay-Jay Okocha
Published: September 12, 2017

Nigeria In Search For Another Jay-Jay OkochaGreat footballers don’t just appear from nowhere, the best footballers in the world be it Neymar, Mbappe, Leo Messi, or Cristiano Ronaldo learned their trades at various football academies.

But for Nigeria, a country with over 170 million population, her football talents are horned on the streets with very few making it to limelight.

No doubt there is abundant natural football talents scattered across the 36 states of the federation but these talents waste away untapped because there are no deliberate attempts to nurture and guide them to fulfilling their potentials.

Austin Jay Jay Okocha a former PSG player who is widely regarded as one of the finest footballers to come out of Africa, in an interview with BBC Sports, describes his rough and tough background as a young footballer growing up in the streets of Enugu.

''There were no grass pitches where we lived, so we used to play on the street corner, or wherever else we could find a space.

''The pitches were very bad, but I think that helped me to develop a good technique.

''Because the surface was so rough, you always had to be conscious of your ball control and how you passed the ball.

''When I was 13, I started playing for my school team,the first time I had played under a manager,'' the former Bolton Wanderers player said.

The lack of proper developmental process for budding young football talents has been the greatest undoing for three times Africa champions, Nigeria and this has been a source of serious concern to millions of football fans, including the
commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, President,Muhammadu Buhari who recently showed his undying love for the round leathergame by tweeting a picture of himself watching the Super Eagles of Nigeria play the Lions of Cameroon from his modest sitting room, at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja,Nigeria.

There have been efforts made by the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF to institute youth football development programmes, geared towards nurturing young football talents that could be graduated through the various national teams until they are good enough to play for the Super Eagles.

The programmes don’t stand the test of time, largely because of inconsistency, lackof continuity and little or no sponsorship drive.

An example of this could be seen in 2008 when the then NFF president Alhaji Sani Lulu launched the NFF U-13 football development programme.

The programme involved the selection of national U-13 and U-15 teams from the annual NFF U-13/U-15 championship.

The selected players were invited to summer camps which were held every school holiday period.

At the camps, the players were taught the rudiments of football and how to play the Nigerian way.

They also played friendly games locally and internationally and within seven years, Nigeria won back to back FIFA U-17 world cup titles between 2013 and 2015 with majority of the players coming from the programme.

This programme gave birth to players like Kelechi Iheanacho of Leicester City, Taiwo Awoniyi of Liverpool, Victor Osimhen of Wolfsburg, Dennis Bonaventure of FC Brugge Alhassan Ibrahim of Austria Vienna, Chidera Eze of FC Porto within seven years.

While these names might not ring abell to the average European football fan, they are players who are between 18 and 20 years old and between 2013 and now have been rated among the best 50players on earth alongside players like Gabriel Jesus, Renato Sanches, Martin Odegaard, Marcus Rashford, Leroy Sane and so on.

If Nigeria must realize her dream of ruling the world,then they must learn from the Spaniards. LA LIGA youth team trainer, Oscar Pruzon who was in Nigeria to lecture Nigeria youth coaches in March 2017 revealed that an average Spanish player would have been exposed to at least 500 competitive matches before the age of 17.

The Future Eagles U-13 team was in Rabat Morocco in August 2017 where they engaged the Moroccan U-15/U-17 national teams in two friendly games.

What are the chances that this programme will be sustained even beyond the tenure of the current NFF board?

The Future Eagles championship will also be used to breed young football referees while only coaches who have a minimum of CAF C Licenses will be allowed to handle teams, making case for young and certificated trainers to grow the future stars.

This might not be the best youth football development programme in the world right now but obviously a culture to develop young football talents is being created and young Nigerian footballers are being given better chances to succeed more than Jay Jay Okocha had.

Bunmi Blair

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:20pm On Sep 12, 2017
Eduwo is a baller with so much gritz and gut. He is a workaholic that is yet to be rewarded for his hard work. His first touch is better that Iheanacho's....lol.

Tony Okpotu failed to live up to his rating. For a guy with the decorations of the highest goal scorer in the just concluded league season more is expected from the net rattler. I have followed Tony Okpotu from his time at Lobi stars of Makurdi and defenders feared him. He didn't play his best game but I know he can do better...Keep your heads up brother.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:24pm On Sep 12, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Eduwo is a baller with so much gritz and gut. He is a workaholic that is yet to be rewarded for his hard work. His first touch is better that Iheanacho's....lol.

Tony Okpotu failed to live up to his rating. For a guy with the decorations of the highest goal scorer in the just concluded league season more is expected from the net rattler. I have followed Tony Okpotu from his time at Lobi stars of Makurdi and defenders feared him. He didn't play his best game but I know he can do better...Keep your heads up brother.

Of all the outfield players, Eneji is the only one that i would invite to the super eagles to try out. Classic winger. I will like to see him again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:25pm On Sep 12, 2017
Aremu,Azeez was full of runnings and hard work and did all dirty work for Ifeanyi,Mathias and Rabiu and I can see why he wasn't the most entertaining players on the night. He held that defensive midfielder down with great strength...rubs me off as a cloned Olofinjana who I don't care much for.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 4:29pm On Sep 12, 2017
Icon79:
Huh

Omo, kilo happened

O pari

naim ah dey tell you nah, go south Africa go ask nah dis AKPEYI club dey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2017
Is Henry in the lineup for today's game?
Onyekuru hails ‘amazing’ Anderlecht start, says win will lift them vs Bayern in Champions League

By admin

- September 9, 2017

Henry Onyekuru

Henry Onyekuru has described his two goals for Anderlecht as “amazing” while saying the team’s second win of the season will boost their confidence going into next week’s UEFA Champions League tie at Bayern Munich.

The Nigeria forward said it was an amazing feeling to open his goals’ account for Belgian champions Anderlecht with a brace as they defeated Lokeren 3-2 on Friday in a league game.

He said the victory will serve as morale booster for his team ahead of the champions league game in Germany against Bayern Munich.

“It’s an amazing feeling for me to get two goals in the game,” he told only SCORENigeria

“We wanted nothing, but the three points to put us back on track, this victory will boost our confidence ahead of the UEFA Champions League game against Bayern Munich.”

Anderlecht open their Champions League group stage campaign on Tuesday at Bayern. PSG and Celtic are the other teams in their group.

By Olusola Alao

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/09/09/onyekuru-hails-amazing-anderlecht-start-says-win-will-lift-them-against-in-champions-league-tie/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:31pm On Sep 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

Of all the outfield players, Eneji is the only one that i would invite to the super eagles to try out. Classic winger. I will like to see him again.

He was great but we are not short on the wings...Doesn't he remind you of Ejike Uzoenyi of CHAN ? So you wouldn't invite Stephen Eze? I find him more confident than Troost Ekong...Lets be honest with ourselves Troost has been average lately. I don't mind trying out Eze and Balogun just to see how it clicks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:34pm On Sep 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Hai! na wa! Are you sure you clicked the link I gave?

Oya, sorry. Vex but do not vex too much. I clicked the link but my eyes went straight to the date. I saw '85 and I went out. I know Ghana Must Go is 83 but the linked showed there was another crack down in 85.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:37pm On Sep 12, 2017
Club Brugge trials for Kano Pillars youngster Nazifi Yahaya

By admin -

September 11, 2017

Nazifi Yahaya (left) with Akwa United coach Abdu Maikaba

Top Belgian team Club Brugge are to offer Kano Pillars and Nigeria U17 striker Nazifi Yahaya trials, SCORENigeria has gathered.

A Pillars official told SCORENigeria: “I am aware he has attended a visa interview but I don’t have any additional details to his trip overseas.”

Nazifi, who has featured for the country’s U15s, was one of the leading scorers when an NPFL U17 team coach by Austin Eguavoen reached the final of an invitational tournament in South Africa earlier this year.

He was in the Golden Eaglets who failed to qualify for this year’s U17 AFCON after they were shocked out by Niger.

He was linked with a move to La Liga side Atletico Madrid.

The young, hard working striker is fast and can also play on the flanks.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/09/11/club-brugge-trials-for-kano-pillars-youngster-nazifi-yahaya/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:38pm On Sep 12, 2017
If Nigeria must realize her dream of ruling the world,then they must learn from the Spaniards. LA LIGA youth team trainer, Oscar Pruzon who was in Nigeria to lecture Nigeria youth coaches in March 2017 revealed that an average Spanish player would have been exposed to at least 500 competitive matches before the age of 17.

Ye!!!
shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by freshest4live: 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2017
OMANBALA1:

He was great but we are not short on the wings...Doesn't he remind you of Ejike Uzoenyi of CHAN ? So you wouldn't invite Stephen Eze? I find him more confident than Troost Ekong...Lets be honest with ourselves Troost has been average lately. I don't mind trying out Eze and Balogun just to see how it clicks.
He is good but you must remember they played Seirrealeone. He is tall and strong but may lack positioning and experience, l would invite him to the camp of the Eagles to see him train, but not for an outright replacement of Ekong just yet except in friendlies or games with little at stake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:42pm On Sep 12, 2017
This I one of the reasons I advocate for Finidi George to take over the U17. The excellent structure of Spanish Football is something we must try to adopt. With Finidi and Amunike, we have men who have deep knowledge of the Spanish structure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:44pm On Sep 12, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
Club Brugge trials for Kano Pillars youngster Nazifi Yahaya

By admin -

September 11, 2017

Nazifi Yahaya (left) with Akwa United coach Abdu Maikaba

Top Belgian team Club Brugge are to offer Kano Pillars and Nigeria U17 striker Nazifi Yahaya trials, SCORENigeria has gathered.

A Pillars official told SCORENigeria: “I am aware he has attended a visa interview but I don’t have any additional details to his trip overseas.”

Nazifi, who has featured for the country’s U15s, was one of the leading scorers when an NPFL U17 team coach by Austin Eguavoen reached the final of an invitational tournament in South Africa earlier this year.

He was in the Golden Eaglets who failed to qualify for this year’s U17 AFCON after they were shocked out by Niger.

He was linked with a move to La Liga side Atletico Madrid.

The young, hard working striker is fast and can also play on the flanks.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/09/11/club-brugge-trials-for-kano-pillars-youngster-nazifi-yahaya/

Another nice discovery by Manu Garba. Wish the young man success and the best.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:48pm On Sep 12, 2017
Well, they can keep him there. Let them hold tight onto him because he doesn't cut it for me here, for the Super Eagles.

O pari

do4luv14:

naim ah dey tell you nah, go south Africa go ask nah dis AKPEYI club dey
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:50pm On Sep 12, 2017
freshest4live:

He is good but you must remember they played Seirrealeone. He is tall and strong but may lack positioning and experience, l would invite him to the camp of the Eagles to see him train, but not for an outright replacement of Ekong just yet except in friendlies or games with little at stake.

Sure ,not an outright replacement for Ekong but Ekong is definitely not our best. Dude panics under pressure and give away passes.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:17pm On Sep 12, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Sorry, He is not on the level of Troost Ekong. That has got to be a joke. Let us see Eze at a higher level, first.

The Troost Ekoong that played both legs against Cameroon was not average.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:17pm On Sep 12, 2017
Guys, I don't understand what's going on again. Is it fear of the u know or what,

WAFU fixture btwn Ghana and Nigeria had been changed,

we are now to play Mali instead,

hmmmm, smelling something fishy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 5:20pm On Sep 12, 2017
Icon79:
Well, they can keep him there. Let them hold tight onto him because he doesn't cut it for me here, for the Super Eagles.

O pari

gud for you oooo, mak you no ask first lady again ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:25pm On Sep 12, 2017
Eligreat247:
Nigeria In Search For Another Jay-Jay Okocha
Published: September 12, 2017

Nigeria In Search For Another Jay-Jay OkochaGreat footballers don’t just appear from nowhere, the best footballers in the world be it Neymar, Mbappe, Leo Messi, or Cristiano Ronaldo learned their trades at various football academies.

But for Nigeria, a country with over 170 million population, her football talents are horned on the streets with very few making it to limelight.

No doubt there is abundant natural football talents scattered across the 36 states of the federation but these talents waste away untapped because there are no deliberate attempts to nurture and guide them to fulfilling their potentials.

Austin Jay Jay Okocha a former PSG player who is widely regarded as one of the finest footballers to come out of Africa, in an interview with BBC Sports, describes his rough and tough background as a young footballer growing up in the streets of Enugu.

''There were no grass pitches where we lived, so we used to play on the street corner, or wherever else we could find a space.

''The pitches were very bad, but I think that helped me to develop a good technique.

''Because the surface was so rough, you always had to be conscious of your ball control and how you passed the ball.

''When I was 13, I started playing for my school team,the first time I had played under a manager,'' the former Bolton Wanderers player said.

The lack of proper developmental process for budding young football talents has been the greatest undoing for three times Africa champions, Nigeria and this has been a source of serious concern to millions of football fans, including the
commander-in-chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, President,Muhammadu Buhari who recently showed his undying love for the round leathergame by tweeting a picture of himself watching the Super Eagles of Nigeria play the Lions of Cameroon from his modest sitting room, at the Aso Rock Villa, Abuja,Nigeria.

There have been efforts made by the Nigeria Football Federation, NFF to institute youth football development programmes, geared towards nurturing young football talents that could be graduated through the various national teams until they are good enough to play for the Super Eagles.

The programmes don’t stand the test of time, largely because of inconsistency, lackof continuity and little or no sponsorship drive.

An example of this could be seen in 2008 when the then NFF president Alhaji Sani Lulu launched the NFF U-13 football development programme.

The programme involved the selection of national U-13 and U-15 teams from the annual NFF U-13/U-15 championship.

The selected players were invited to summer camps which were held every school holiday period.

At the camps, the players were taught the rudiments of football and how to play the Nigerian way.

They also played friendly games locally and internationally and within seven years, Nigeria won back to back FIFA U-17 world cup titles between 2013 and 2015 with majority of the players coming from the programme.

This programme gave birth to players like Kelechi Iheanacho of Leicester City, Taiwo Awoniyi of Liverpool, Victor Osimhen of Wolfsburg, Dennis Bonaventure of FC Brugge Alhassan Ibrahim of Austria Vienna, Chidera Eze of FC Porto within seven years.

While these names might not ring abell to the average European football fan, they are players who are between 18 and 20 years old and between 2013 and now have been rated among the best 50players on earth alongside players like Gabriel Jesus, Renato Sanches, Martin Odegaard, Marcus Rashford, Leroy Sane and so on.

The Future Eagles U-13 team was in Rabat Morocco in August 2017 where they engaged the Moroccan U-15/U-17 national teams in two friendly games.

What are the chances that this programme will be sustained even beyond the tenure of the current NFF board?

The Future Eagles championship will also be used to breed young football referees while only coaches who have a minimum of CAF C Licenses will be allowed to handle teams, making case for young and certificated trainers to grow the future stars.

This might not be the best youth football development programme in the world right now but obviously a culture to develop young football talents is being created and young Nigerian footballers are being given better chances to succeed more than Jay Jay Okocha had.

Bunmi Blair

The immediate search now should be for another Mikel and not Okocha.

Excellent initiatives from the NFF. I still say it that we have one of the best youths systems in the world:

5 U17 Gold titles
3 U17 Silver medals
2 U20 Silver medals
1 Olympics Gold
1 Olympics Silver
1 Olympics Bronze.

However our greatest headache is still the transition to the senior level. We start failing right from the U20s.

Our coaches at the U20 need to do enough to get us a rich crop of U20 players. I personally value achievements at U20 far more than the U17.

This article just confirmed something. The team that went for that Friendly in Morocco were the U13 and not U15 as reported here. I said it those boys don't look like U15. And it was also stated here that the Moroccans looked bigger. True as it was reported in this article that our boys played against the Moroccan U15/U17. I for say, because I saw some of the Moroccan boys with beards.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:28pm On Sep 12, 2017
Ex-Nigeria international Nduka Ugbade claims CHAN Super Eagles are unbeatable at WAFU Nations Cup

Former Nigerian international Nduka Ugbade says the Super Eagles are the team to beat at the ongoing 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations in Ghana.

The Super Eagles defeated Sierra Leone 2-0 in their first match of the tournament thanks to two goals from Moses Okoro and Moses Peter at Cape Coast Stadium on Monday.

Ugbade feels that Nigeria's recent performance in their 4-0 victory over Cameroon in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier in Uyo was enough boost to the Super Eagles squad at the WAFU Cup of Nations.

“Defeating Cameroon in Nigeria 4-0 and drawing them 1-1 in Yaoundé is enough boost for the team, it shows the team is good," Ugbade said on Vanguardngr.com.

“Again, such a feat is capable of putting fear in any of the teams in West Africa because everyone knows the strength of Cameroon in football."

The Super Eagles have qualified for the tournament's group stage contest that will see eight teams divided into two groups of four teams.

Nigeria won the 2010 WAFU Cup of Nations title as tournament hosts. They defeated Senegal 2-0 in the final at the MKO Abiola Stadium.

https://ghanasoccernet.com/ex-nigeria-international-nduka-ugbade-claims-chan-super-eagles-are-unbeatable-at-wafu-nations-cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:34pm On Sep 12, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
Ex-Nigeria international Nduka Ugbade claims CHAN Super Eagles are unbeatable at WAFU Nations Cup

Former Nigerian international Nduka Ugbade says the Super Eagles are the team to beat at the ongoing 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations in Ghana.

The Super Eagles defeated Sierra Leone 2-0 in their first match of the tournament thanks to two goals from Moses Okoro and Moses Peter at Cape Coast Stadium on Monday.

Ugbade feels that Nigeria's recent performance in their 4-0 victory over Cameroon in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier in Uyo was enough boost to the Super Eagles squad at the WAFU Cup of Nations.

“Defeating Cameroon in Nigeria 4-0 and drawing them 1-1 in Yaoundé is enough boost for the team, it shows the team is good," Ugbade said on Vanguardngr.com.

“Again, such a feat is capable of putting fear in any of the teams in West Africa because everyone knows the strength of Cameroon in football."

The Super Eagles have qualified for the tournament's group stage contest that will see eight teams divided into two groups of four teams.

Nigeria won the 2010 WAFU Cup of Nations title as tournament hosts. They defeated Senegal 2-0 in the final at the MKO Abiola Stadium.

https://ghanasoccernet.com/ex-nigeria-international-nduka-ugbade-claims-chan-super-eagles-are-unbeatable-at-wafu-nations-cup

Emmm but can we wait to see them against Ghana first before the bragging starts?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:05pm On Sep 12, 2017
grin I no call names o
do4luv14:

even ESEOSE9,

wey go jst balance for balcony dry look
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:13pm On Sep 12, 2017
Let's be honest, there can't be another Okocha. That said, every player will come with their own style. Comparing them to Mikel etc is putting undue pressure on them. Let them be their own player. Football is evolving quickly, if we eventually find a Mikel play alike he won't be able to measure up in future. Same reason why Rabiu Ibrahim is struggling.
Sports is like music in this regard. The demands of the game changes with time.

Icon4s:

The immediate search now should be for another Mikel and not Okocha.

Excellent initiatives from the NFF. I still say it that we have one of the best youths systems in the world:

5 U17 Gold titles
3 U17 Silver medals
2 U20 Silver medals
1 Olympics Gold
1 Olympics Silver
1 Olympics Bronze.

However our greatest headache is still the transition to the senior level. We start failing right from the U20s.

Our coaches at the U20 need to do enough to get us a rich crop of U20 players. I personally value achievements at U20 far more than the U17.

This article just confirmed something. The team that went for that Friendly in Morocco were the U13 and not U15 as reported here. I said it those boys don't look like U15. And it was also stated here that the Moroccans looked bigger. True as it was reported in this article that our boys played against the Moroccan U15/U17. I for say, because I saw some of the Moroccan boys with beards.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1497) (1498) (1499) (1500) (1501) (1502) (1503) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.