Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1501) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11692075 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1498) (1499) (1500) (1501) (1502) (1503) (1504) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:19pm On Sep 12, 2017
Who u calling "Ijebu" ? angry

Sir TheGoodJoe... e be like say I go pick up my Kung-fu slippers for Sir Chrisooblog oooo.... angry

Imagine the Babylonian... cheesy

chrisooblog:
little messi grin

by the way welcome to our humble thread smiley

joebie, supernerd and co una be real ijebu you guys no fit entertain our lovely guest even if na coke and small suya wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:21pm On Sep 12, 2017
Chaaaaaaiiiiiii.... I can't hold it in...

do4luv14:

I jst don't know what some of us were thinking those days?

five matches played, two goals cancelled,
three wins,
one lose
one draw

yet he is still observing, chaiii na wa o, original wa ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bengine: 6:35pm On Sep 12, 2017
I don't really comment but I just had to step in, most of this guys you are clamouring for haven't played at a higher level!!! You would be surprised at how they could just get lost playing at a higher level!! It reminds me of Ejike Uzoenyi that played so well at CHAN, Keshi took him to world cup and he was just swallowed by the stage and level of the competition.

Keshi brought him in against France or so, the dude was just ballooning the ball everywhere with no sense of when to shoot or when to make a pass..too be honest most of our African players are not intelligent, can't read and construct plays in their head, most of what this players have is physicality or speed! Which amounts to nothing with very tactical teams hence my conservative approach to home base players. Our players that go to Europe when young start learning some of this basic tactics that a 13yr old European already knows..

So because a player played against sierra leone, you are already advocating for him to replace Ekong, that's the biggest insult to a player of Ekongs calibre..even Ekong hasn't played at the highest level but he is one of the best we have for now! One thing is talent doesn't do it alone, confidence goes along way in establishing a player at the highest level.

I hope one day, our young African players can see the game as a puzzle and continue looking for solution on the field instead of relying heavily on speed and physicallity which should just be an added asset to them.

OMANBALA1:

Sure ,not an outright replacement for Ekong but Ekong is definitely not our best. Dude panics under pressure and give away passes.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 6:38pm On Sep 12, 2017
[+quote author=do4luv14 post=60387322]Guys, I don't understand what's going on again. Is it fear of the u know or what,

WAFU fixture btwn Ghana and Nigeria had been changed,

we are now to play Mali instead,

hmmmm, smelling something fishy[/quote]

If ACTOR & BOOSSS die for starting of film, who go fight last fight na? grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:44pm On Sep 12, 2017
Didn't I make a similar comment earlier pages ago? smiley

We may never have another Okocha... and we also may never have a midfielder with Mikel's distinct quality... but what we can have is midfielders growing into stars in their own rights...

Mikel ignored the Okocha comparisons and forged his own midfield legacy and today he is also referred to as one of Africa's greatest Midfield generals. Every player has a path... let us focus on moulding them to the best of their own style and abilities and not in the light of another great.

So well said Sir Joebie.... coz I don't see this "perfect replacement" talk holding ground at all. Mikel needs a backup and an apprentice (same thing he experienced under Okocha) but they will have to be forged and looked upon not as Mikel 2 but as that player himself...

Joebie:
Let's be honest, there can't be another Okocha. That said, every player will come with their own style. Comparing them to Mikel etc is putting undue pressure on them. Let them be their own player. Football is evolving quickly, if we eventually find a Mikel play alike he won't be able to measure up in future. Same reason why Rabiu Ibrahim is struggling.
Sports is like music in this regard. The demands of the game changes with time.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 6:49pm On Sep 12, 2017
bengine:

I don't really comment but I just had to step in, most of this guys you are clamouring for haven't played at a higher level!!! You would be surprised at how they could just get lost playing at a higher level!! It reminds me of Ejike Uzoenyi that played so well at CHAN, Keshi took him to world cup and he was just swallowed by the stage and level of the competition.

Keshi brought him in against France or so, the dude was just ballooning the ball everywhere with no sense of when to shoot or when to make a pass..too be honest most of our African players are not intelligent, can't read and construct plays in their head, most of what this players have is physicality or speed! Which amounts to nothing with very tactical teams hence my conservative approach to home base players. Our players that go to Europe when young start learning some of this basic tactics that a 13yr old European already knows..

So because a player played against sierra leone, you are already advocating for him to replace Ekong, that's the biggest insult to a player of Ekongs calibre..even Ekong hasn't played at the highest level but he is one of the best we have for now! One thing is talent doesn't do it alone, confidence goes along way in establishing a player at the highest level.

I hope one day, our young African players can see the game as a puzzle and continue looking for solution on the field instead of relying heavily on speed and physicallity which should just be an added asset to them.

Ejike Uzoenyi was how many years ago?

So if Ejike Uzoenyi failed others should not get a chance. Head dey diffrent from head, outstanding ones should be invited to camp maybe as standby, train with the team and if he's better or up to par with who holds his position why not give him a chance.
That freekick osas scored "No be trail and error, NA SABI B DAT". Mind you ezenwa na home base but people prefer him now and play play the guy go keep for world cup.

Thank goodness say man no be God, if not home base no go rise
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:58pm On Sep 12, 2017
Henry Onyekuru on the bench for Anderlecht's UCL opener against European Giants FC Bayern Munich....

Victor Moses makes the bench (as do other starters like Hazard, Morata, David Luiz and even Bakayoko) for Chelsea's UCL comeback in their opener against Qarabag.....

It is Champions League night or day... whereever you may be people... grin Champions League Moments is back.... all the best to our Nigerian Reps in the competition and also our African Brothers in other clubs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:00pm On Sep 12, 2017
LOL. I sabi say that na the reason why you dey vex for me.

You know, I was wondering, when did do4luv14 became such a big fan of Akpeyi?
Then my mind came go the other route and I was like, "Nah, this has nothing to do with Akpeyi".
And now you've just proved me right grin

O pari

do4luv14:

gud for you oooo, mak you no ask first lady again ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:09pm On Sep 12, 2017
Nigeria coach Salisu Yusuf: The players showed great character

Nigeria coach Salisu Yusuf has explained that his players showed great character to come through a tough 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations clash against Sierra Leone on Monday night.

Moses Okoro and Moses Peter scored a goal apiece in the final five minutes of the tie to hand the Super Eagles a 2-0 win at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium and see them progress into the group stage.

Yusuf made it clear that Nigeria’s preparation for the WAFU tournament took a back seat while they were playing Cameroon in back-to-back 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

“We didn’t have training [except for] one day because we were so much concerned with the World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon,” he told the post-match press conference.

“It’s the most important. We have qualified for CHAN [African Nations Championship], so we had to take a risk that all our concentration will be on the World Cup first.

“It was a good decision and it was a good game, because we came here with the same squad that played Benin in the last CHAN qualifier and we played the same system.

“We had some good young players come in, but they cannot play because they never trained. All of them played a league match on Saturday and travelled long distances, so there was no recovery.

“The players have done very well, they have shown great character to survive this game.”

Source: http://mobile.ghanasoccernet.com/nigeria-coach-salisu-yusuf-the-players-showed-great-character

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:12pm On Sep 12, 2017
Nigeria goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa using WAFU Nations Cup as stepping stone

Nigeria goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa has explained that he sees the 2017 WAFU Cup of Nations as a ‘stepping stone’ to greater things in his career.

The 28-year-old was the Man of the Match in Nigeria’s 2-0 win
over Sierra Leone at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Monday night.

It continued the fine form he showed for the full Super Eagles team in their recent 2018 World Cup qualifiers against Cameroon.

“The most important thing is that we came out with the victory,” Ezenwa told the post-match press conference, before explaining that the WAFU competition will help him and other players gain exposure and recognition.

“For my colleagues and I this tournament is an important tournament because I know the whole world is watching,” added the goalkeeper.

“And from here it can be a stepping stone out of the country because those scouts and agents are here to watch the tournament.

“So I think now entering the group stage is the focus, the concentration of the tournament, because I think whichever group we are in is not going to be easy.”

Source: http://mobile.ghanasoccernet.com/nigeria-goalkeeper-ikechukwu-ezenwa-using-wafu-nations-cup-as-stepping-stone

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:16pm On Sep 12, 2017
do4luv14:
Guys, I don't understand what's going on again. Is it fear of the u know or what,

hmmmm, smelling something fishy
that mago mago Ghana team. Dem no wan make their yansh open so early cuz they know they can't try the same shii they tried with Gambia on Naija

There is something fishy going on for sure. E no matter as dem wan take twist am, we go still open their yansh eventually
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:17pm On Sep 12, 2017
Just had the opportunity of watching the ongoing WAFU competition.
I'm so far pleased with the level of play showed by the participants. I must commend these players and their coaches.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:18pm On Sep 12, 2017
Very well said. We are in agreement

TheSuperNerd:
Didn't I make a similar comment earlier pages ago? smiley

We may never have another Okocha... and we also may never have a midfielder with Mikel's distinct quality... but what we can have is midfielders growing into stars in their own rights...

Mikel ignored the Okocha comparisons and forged his own midfield legacy and today he is also referred to as one of Africa's greatest Midfield generals. Every player has a path... let us focus on moulding them to the best of their own style and abilities and not in the light of another great.

So well said Sir Joebie.... coz I don't see this "perfect replacement" talk holding ground at all. Mikel needs a backup and an apprentice (same thing he experienced under Okocha) but they will have to be forged and looked upon not as Mikel 2 but as that player himself...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:23pm On Sep 12, 2017
Thanks boss. I Salute too o. So Wetin u dey write about?

HZwriters:

Not at all bro. I enjoy your comments, you all are doing great. I salute!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:25pm On Sep 12, 2017
I really like the exposure Ezenwa is getting. It will help him prepare for the world cup if we qualify. If Ikeme can be back before then. Our goalkeeper line-up should be Enyeama, Ikeme and Ezenwa. If not, Enyeama, Ezenwa and Alampasu

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:26pm On Sep 12, 2017
komekn:

Dele Alli came out MK Dons, just like Gomez @Liverpool fc, Lookman @Everton both from Charlton add to that Holegate and Smalling from Barnsley all of these are league 1 clubs. Dominic Lewis from Sheffield United to Everton. That's too mention a few.

The two Crystal palace wingers came out of the Championship Zaha and Bolasie, arguably the best wingers in the Championship, add to that Michail Antonio West Ham, those are top quality players. Currently the best and most promising left back is Ryan Ssegnon he plays for Fulham current price over £30 million. Dembele at Celtic of which a bid of £50 million was refused from Chelsea, came out of the championship with Fulham. Oliver Burke left Nottingham forest for Liepzig in Germany.

I disagree with you completely.

The championship is better considerably better than the Turkish league and any other league rated below 10 in Europe. I would rate the championship higher than both the Dutch and Belgium leagues barring 2/3 top teams. Much higher than all the Nordic leagues for sure.

Britt Asombolanga plays for Middlesbrough fc price £15 million, he rejected premiership offers. He is better than quite a few premiership strikers.

This is exactly what I'm saying. When you cherry pick, you find a hand full who have made the crossover from the Championship.
Some of these guys you listed weren't as highly rated in the Championship like Ince, Charlie Austin, Jordan Rhodes.
We later found out how good they were.

It is best England copied the Spanish method and allow club academies play lower league football than this U23 crap they play.

Let's see what Sessgnon will look like when he gets a move to the Premiership. Very few of them have justified the British hype machine in the end.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:31pm On Sep 12, 2017
AIG07:
Just had the opportunity of watching the ongoing WAFU competition.
I'm so far pleased with the level of play showed by the participants. I must commend these players and their coaches.
Atleast someone fancy the idea of a Wafu nations cup. Some forumites had a swell time knocking the competition yesterday.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:37pm On Sep 12, 2017
Best of luck to all super eagles playing UCL football tonight.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 7:49pm On Sep 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
If Nigeria must realize her dream of ruling the world,then they must learn from the Spaniards. LA LIGA youth team trainer, Oscar Pruzon who was in Nigeria to lecture Nigeria youth coaches in March 2017 revealed that an average Spanish player would have been exposed to at least 500 competitive matches before the age of 17.

Ye!!!
shocked shocked
Npfl youth team league, Is it in place yet?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by HZwriters: 7:54pm On Sep 12, 2017
Joebie:
Thanks boss. I Salute too o. So Wetin u dey write about?

freelancing sort of like articles, journal reviews etc. but that was then..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:55pm On Sep 12, 2017
goldfish80:

This is exactly what I'm saying. When you cherry pick, you find a hand full who have made the crossover from the Championship.
Some of these guys you listed weren't as highly rated in the Championship like Ince, Charlie Austin, Jordan Rhodes.
We later found out how good they were.

It is best England copied the Spanish method and allow club academies play lower league football than this U23 crap they play.

Let's see what Sessgnon will look like when he gets a move to the Premiership. Very few of them have justified the British hype machine in the end.

The EPL is a truly top international league much to the disadvantage of England. Some of the best players in the world play in the premiership. On occasion there are some clubs that have a token English representation in thier teams. This is very reflective of the top 6 in the premiership. There are more foreign players in top half of the premiership than English players. Hence limited opportunities for English players.

Nonetheless, I disagree with you completely. He is doing OK at Huddersfield which is not a big team they ate essentially hitting above thier weight.

Charlie Austin has just lost form playing for QPR he did cut it in the premiership.

It is certainly not a handful I just picked out a few young black players.

Once you make waves in the Championship you will be in the EPL if you so desire. But be aware a lot of championship clubs compete in terms of Finances with the lower half of the EPL. So you can still.be in the championship and on £40k a week.

Benin Afobe from Wolves, Joshu king from Blackburn, Callum Wilson from Coventry all play for Bournemouth AFC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:01pm On Sep 12, 2017
Tell me, I made 1500
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:03pm On Sep 12, 2017
do4luv14:
Guys, I don't understand what's going on again. Is it fear of the u know or what,

hmmmm, smelling something fishy

Now tell me how anyone will take the organisers of this tourney serious.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:04pm On Sep 12, 2017
safarigirl:
Tell me, I made 1500
Yes. Congratulations you did.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:07pm On Sep 12, 2017
komekn:

The EPL is a truly top international league much to the disadvantage of England. Some of the best players in the world play in the premiership. On occasion there are some clubs that have a token English representation in thier teams. This is very reflective of the top 6 in the premiership. There are more foreign players in top half of the premiership than English players. Hence limited opportunities for English players.

Nonetheless, I disagree with you completely. He is doing OK at Huddersfield which is not a big team they ate essentially hitting above thier weight.

Charlie Austin has just lost form playing for QPR he did cut it in the premiership.

With the hype around Ince at the time, I expected he would have been playing for at least Liverpool or Everton.
Even Jordan Ibe at Derby County was so terrific that Liverpool recalled him from the loan spell. The cream haven't risen to the top since then.

The transition from the championship to the Premiership is well below 20% success rate.

Even the Turkish league you rate below Championship can boost of having international players. Samir Nasri, Pepe are some examples of international players in Turkey.

I will struggle to name any international player in the Championship outside a few Scottish, Irish,Welsh and some Africans.

Do you honestly think the English championship can attract the likes of Pepe, Nani and Nasri?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:11pm On Sep 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Yes. Congratulations you did.
we need a dancing emoji on this site grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 8:12pm On Sep 12, 2017
Yep
Moses will play second fiddle to Zappacosta this season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:13pm On Sep 12, 2017
goldfish80:

With the hype around Ince at the time, I expected he would have been playing for at least Liverpool or Everton.
Even Jordan Ibe at Derby County was so terrific that Liverpool recalled him from the loan spell. The cream haven't risen to the top since then.

The transition from the championship to the Premiership is well below 20% success rate.

Even the Turkish league you rate below Championship can boost of having international players. Samir Nasri, Pepe are some examples of international players in Turkey.

I will struggle to name any international player in the Championship outside a few Scottish, Irish,Welsh and some Africans.

Do you honestly think the English championship can attract the likes of Pepe, Nani and Nasri?

Liverpool put in a bid for £9 million and he refused politely a few years ago.

I am concentrating on black players showing my bias unfortunately.

CIV central defender Bamba plays for Cardiff.

Players go to Turkey in the twilight of thier careers not for football but money. The tax regime is very favourable I'm talking 7% in some cases. The football is not so intensive so you can extend your career, less injury, etc

Barkley went to Leeds from Everton but was sent back as not being good enough. A few months later he's playing for England and the toast of the EPL.

Nasri is not a current international.

But if you want to talk about past internationals we can.

John Terry at Villa, Agbonlahor, past present Jonathan Kodjia CIV.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by freshest4live: 8:16pm On Sep 12, 2017
Zappacosta fantastic goal. Good competition for Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geestunnar(m): 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2017
Hopefully our guys playing in the UCL give a good account of themselves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2017
Watching PSG flogging Celtic and giving them a football lesson. Goals from the the three musketeers Neymar , Mbappe and Cavani it's 3-0 with 6/7 minutes to go.

Neymar different class. Mbappe is unbelievable for an 28 year old and Cavani is s clinical destroyer.

Predict it could be 7-0 at the end.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:30pm On Sep 12, 2017
safarigirl:
we need a dancing emoji on this site grin

Sebi.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1498) (1499) (1500) (1501) (1502) (1503) (1504) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: zicky(m), foxman04, typicalgamer(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.