Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,778 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1880) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11695717 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1877) (1878) (1879) (1880) (1881) (1882) (1883) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:40pm On Oct 23, 2017
forgiveness:

How can I believe one who always gives wrong info?

Lol... are you talking of yourself?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:44pm On Oct 23, 2017
forgiveness:

It was obvious Rohr change tactics and pattern of play when he brought on Iwobi.

I maintain, Simon Moses followed Rohr instructions, even Shehu Abdullahi followed instructions because he never crossed the half line until Iwobi came in.

They practiced this before the match during training.

Iwobi would have gassed out if he started the game.

There was no abracadabra Iwobi did. It was absolutely the game plan.

Simon does not have the capacity to make those touches and moves Iwobi made.

Simon knows only one way to play: puts his head down, takes on any defender that comes his way and pull out a cross hoping that any of the strikers would be in a position to score.

Wings play has gone beyond that. I am sure you watched the great George Finidi play. Tijani Babangida himself had to adjust to how Finidi played just that TJ was more pacey and more direct.

Simon has the pace but he is not even direct.Always playing himself into tight spaces. Ahmed Musa has the pace and he is direct but some times it will seem he left his brains behind while running.

I am a natural winger. I will know a great winger when I see him.

Iwobi's type of winger/AM will really go places.
Simon's kind of winger will only do well at youths level but will fail to progress as he ages. Have you noticed his current stagnation? To me he has not improved since he graduated to the Super Eagles.

Samuel Chukwueze is another kind of Winger that can be devastating. I hope he is well groomed in a good club. He can be totally unplayable on his good day. He runs very well, takes on defenders, direct and has good eyes for goals.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:48pm On Oct 23, 2017
forgiveness:

Has Onyekuru helped his club to win the league?

Has Onyekuru won the second best Ebonyi award in Belgium?

Has Onyekuru assisted in a cup final competition to help his club win the Belgium FA cup?

At, club level, with enough facts on ground, Simon Moses has achieved more than Onyekuru in club level. Kpom! grin

Simon did excellent in his first year but he has not built on it.

Onyekeru appears to be building his reputation and will cause more ripples in world football today.

By the way, Onyekuru was nominated for the Ebony award. Top 5.

He was also third in the youth player of the year award.

This guy played for a team that was supposed to be relegated.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

No, they play the same role

that is what i saw from the games, i saw.

Statistics say no they don't play the same role. grin

I saw him played LM too, can I say that is what i saw from the games I saw?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2017
forgiveness:

How can I believe one who always gives wrong info?
this coming from the person who claimed S. Moses is worth £20 million

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 23, 2017
Icon4s:

Simon knows only one way to play: puts his head down, takes on any defender that comes his way and pull out a cross hoping that any of the strikers would be in a position to score.

Wings play has gone beyond that. I am sure you watched the great George Finidi play. Tijani Babangida himself had to adjust to how Finidi played just that TJ was more pacey and more direct.

Simon has the pace but he is not even direct.Always playing himself into tight spaces. Ahmed Musa has the pace and he is direct but some times it will seem he left his brains behind while running.

I am a natural winger. I will know a great one when I see him.

Simon's kind of winger will only do well at youths level but will fail to progress as he ages. Have you noticed his current stagnation? To me he has not improved since he graduated to the Super Eagles.

Samuel Chukwueze is another kind of Winger that can be devastating. I hope he is well groomed in a good club. He can be totally unplayable on his good day. He runs very well, takes on defenders, direct and has good eyes for goals.
and it seems rohr prefers him likes that...and that also suits the gaffers tactics...cos explain to me how he has played almost every match under the German manger while ur onyekuru looks on from his plastic television screens and iwobi comes from the bench?? undecided

If u 're questioning Moses Simons ability and style of play?? Why don't u question vic Moses 's undecidedcos I think they have similar style of play...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:57pm On Oct 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

Simon did excellent in his first year but he has not built on it.

Onyekeru appears to be building his reputation and will cause more ripples in world football today.

By the way, Onyekuru was nominated for the Ebony award. Top 5.

He was also third in the youth player of the year award.

This guy played for a team that was supposed to be relegated.

So, why are some clubs chasing after Simon Moses?

You didn't get to know because he has yet to force his way out, like Onyekuru did.

We are talking about 2nd best, you are talking about top

We are talking about winning titles, you are talking about relegation struggles.

Ok, Simon was also in top 10 young player of the year.

I maintain, Simon Moses has achieved more than Onyekuru in club level. Kpom! grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:58pm On Oct 23, 2017
krattoss:
and it seems rohr prefers him likes that...and that also suits the gaffers tactics...cos explain to me how he has played almost every match under the German manger while ur onyekuru looks on from his plastic television screens and iwobi comes from the bench?? undecided

If u 're questioning Moses Simons ability and style of play?? Why don't u question vic Moses 's undecidedcos I think they have similar style of play...

I am not comparing Onyekuru with Simon. Infact, presently I will pick Simon over Onyekuru for various reasons.

My point is Simon himself is not even supposed to be a starting material for the Super Eagles.

Recall Iwobi was injured ahead of the Cameroon clash which was why Simon Started. And going into the Zambia game, Rohr refused to change a winning team, which I also agreed to.

Go back to the games where Victor Moses and Iwobi were present whether Simon started.

To me he is more of a back up in the absence of Iwobi and V. Moses. And he needs to grow his game and be more versatile. He doesn't play like a modern winger.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:04pm On Oct 23, 2017
Icon4s:

I am not comparing Onyekuru with Simon. Infact, presently I will pick Simon over Onyekuru for various reasons.

My point is Simon himself is not even supposed to be a starting material for the Super Eagles.

Recall Iwobi was injured ahead of the Cameroon clash which was why Simon Started. And going into the Zambia game, Rohr refused to change a winning team, which I also agreed to.

Go back to the games where Victor Moses and Iwobi were present whether Simon started.

To me he is more of a back up in the absence of Iwobi and V. Moses. And he needs to grow his game and be more versatile. He doesn't play like a modern winger.
I can only laugh @ the bolded.. grin grin grin
Like seriously, Simon no deserve eagles start grin
Some one that has been starting right from the days I oliseh?? grin

Tell me who derserves eagles start Mr coach undecided

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:05pm On Oct 23, 2017
safarigirl:
this coming from the person who claimed S. Moses is worth £20 million

Do I look like Gent's Manager Michael louwagie who said Simon Moses worth 20 million euros? shocked grin

Direct your statement to him not me, please. grin

Gent Manager Tells West Brom & Monaco – Moses Simon Is Worth €20m

May 5, 20170149

‎Super Eagles forward Moses Simon won’t be leaving Gent for anything less than €20m according to the technical director of the team Michel Louwagie.

Simon has been heavily linked with a move away from the Belgian side with West Brom and Monaco particularly interested in the former As Trencin man.

However as reported by this portal French side Monaco ‎opened discussions with Gent over his possible transfer in the summer, but the demands of the Belgian side differs from what they are offering.

Louwagie while responding to rumours about Simon confirmed they have received offers for the forward but none has met the club valuation of their prized asset.

He insist that the forward will be sold for nothing less than 20 million euros. He cited the transfer of Simon’s international teammate and close friend Wilfred Ndi‎di to Leicester City from Genk for £16m as a sign of how wise Belgium clubs have become in transfer dealings.

“Why could they sell in the Netherlands to amounts to over thirty million euros?”

Where is Memphis Depay now? With PSV sold to Manchester United with a lot of drumstick. Vincent Janssen, AZ’s top scorer, came to Tottenham for lot of money, but he is yet to get enough minutes on the field.”

“In terms of efficiency, is he better than Simon?”

“The trend is reversed: Wilfred Ndidi in December, later some Anderlecht boys”

“Anyone who wants our players will have to pay”, he told Voetballmagazine.

Daniel Martins

https://www.soccerassembly.com/moses-simon-worth-20-million-gent-coach/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:06pm On Oct 23, 2017
Simon is a decent player no doubt wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2017
krattoss:

Difference between Simon and Victor is Victor is more direct and often drifts towards the centre. Victor also combines well with the AM and other Midfielders. Watch our 3rd goals against Cameroon and Algeria respectively you'll understand.
Simon is always on the touchline and will always run towards the corner line before running into the 18yards box or pulling out one cross for any lucky striker in position.
Modern football has gone past that.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:09pm On Oct 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

Lol... are you talking of yourself?

Of course you, who else? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:10pm On Oct 23, 2017
krattoss:
I can only laugh @ the bolded.. grin grin grin Like seriously, Simon no deserve eagles start grin Some one that has been starting right from the days I oliseh?? grin
Tell me who derserves eagles start Mr coach undecided
Iwobi and Victor Moses are the first choice wingers.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2017
you are spot on about simon he doesn't always make the right decisions in the attacking third though i wouldn't yet categorize him in the pius ikedia headless chicken runs but he can surely improve.

iwobi on the other hand is a different kind of winger because he is naturally a midfielder he will always gravitate to the middle. playing for nigeria and arsenal how many times have you seen iwobi try to beat his man at the byline and whip in a cross? can't recall sey? i guess like you said that's the way of modern football.
Icon4s:

Reason why Simon is still in the Super Eagles starting 11 is because we don't have so many wingers better than he is at the moment.

If he Doesn't change his style of play he'll end up like the likes of Pius Ikedia and Ahmed Musa.

Simon has a lot to learn in terms of his final passes.
He works so very hard but the product of all those hardwork is just average or less.

You saw how Iwobi changed things upon his introduction against Zambia? That is how a modern winger plays.

You notice Iwobi didn't run much on the wings which gave Shehu acres to make his runs. Iwobi went deep close to the AM position which was where Shehu's cross came to meet him and the rest is history. Ahmed Musa does that too once in a while but Simon is always on the flanks and doesn't really combine well with the number 10 player. His own is to take on defenders one-on and finally play one way-ward cross. You saw how Iwobi combined well with Mikel and even Ighalo. Same thing in the game in Ndola.

Yes Onyekuru is up and coming but as you rightly said I would like to see him develop as a striker.

We are blessed with wingers in this team but we don't have depth in the striking department.

Rohr should draft in Onyekuru among the CF jare.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:11pm On Oct 23, 2017
forgiveness:

So, why are some clubs chasing after Simon Moses?

You didn't get to know because he has yet to force his way out, like Onyekuru did.

We are talking about 2nd best, you are talking about top

We are talking about winning titles, you are talking about relegation struggles.

Ok, Simon was also in top 10 young player of the year.

I maintain, Simon Moses has achieved more than Onyekuru in club level. Kpom! grin

Achieved more.. if that is your only argument, you are fine.

But Onyekuru at the point is ahead.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:18pm On Oct 23, 2017
i wouldn't be too quick to say he's a first choice. for me his lack of defensive discipline and his inability to track wouldn't make him an ideal winger for me. yes he does show flashes of brilliance in that role but not on a enough consistent basis but as an AM i think that's where he will eventually belong

Icon4s:

Iwobi and Victor Moses are the first choice wingers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:21pm On Oct 23, 2017
Joebie:
RELATIVELY UNKOWN SEARCHIGHT

Nigerian-Brazilian Striker On The Radar Of Everton, Porto & Brondby
Published: October 23, 2017

Photo Credit : vejle-boldklub.dk

Nigerian-Brazilian Striker On The Radar Of Everton, Porto & BrondbyNigerian-Brazilian striker Dominic Vinícius Eberechukwu Uzoukwu is on the radar of English Premier League side Everton, as per reports.

According to Scouts In Attendance, Everton, FC Porto and Brondby representatives were at the Vejle Stadion (Vejle) on Sunday to watch the Danish First Division game between Vejle BK and Viborg.

Unarguably, Dominic was the most impressive player on parade for both teams, having netted a first-half brace for Vejle BK, though he later scored an own goal four minutes before the interval.

Born in São Paulo 22 years ago, he represented Brazilian clubs Clube Atlético Paranaense B, Cuiabá Esporte Clube (MT) and Associação Portuguesa de Desportos before transferring to Vejle in the summer of 2016.

Dominic has had an impressive start to the 2017-2018 season, scoring 7 goals in 12 matches while providing three assists.

The Afro-Brazilian, who was the top scorer in the Danish First Division last season with 15 goals, is contracted to Vejle until June 30, 2019.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

--AllNigeriaSoccer

Take your time. You almost gave me a heart attack when I saw Vinicius in his name. I was like fuq, Vinicius is a Nigerian. Thinking he was the same Vinicius Real Madrid signed. angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:22pm On Oct 23, 2017
for the super eagles i would like to see onyekuru given more of a chance to show what he can do. hopefully he will get good minutes against algeria

tbaba1234:
For the Super Eagles, Simon has paid his dues and deserves his position.

At club level, Onyekuru is currently better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:34pm On Oct 23, 2017
icons is right if we had better options simon would be chopping bench. not that he hasn't tried in the super eagles shirt but he can do better. s. moses is the kind of player that will be forming activity but no end product but i will admit he produces once in a while but not enough in my opinion for someone of his ability

krattoss:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:38pm On Oct 23, 2017
See terrific goal by Vinicius this weekend. Some scouts were monitoring

http://twitter.com/williamnordby/status/922088684551311360
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:40pm On Oct 23, 2017
Icon4s:

I am a natural winger. I will know a great winger when I see him.

I didn't talk about how they play, I talked about how the coach wanted them to play and his tactics.

Iwobi did no abracadabra in that game because it was premeditated by the coach.

However, I don't see Iwobi as a winger because I have seen him flopped several times in that position in the National team.

He is an AM in my own estimation.

There are sometimes touches will backfire when you meet a park the bus teams. In such case, individual talent is required and good crosser of the ball.

When Chelsea saw all roads were blocked, they resorted to crossing the balls into the box where a good striker made good used of his head. That is why we need an all rounder striker.

Even Arsenal did the same.

So, in a team you have to be dynamic and not static like iroko tree because when the chips are down, you will have no other options. grin

Rohr showed he was dynamic in tactics hence the change of tactics with Iwobi.

Iwobi did no abracadabra.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 3:41pm On Oct 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

dem son start,na d guy name go start to dey call now

VINICIUS better Dan d combination of Iheanacho,ighalo and co grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:46pm On Oct 23, 2017
chrisooblog:
personally i think it's a mistake compering S. moses to onyekuru. even though they play in similar positions their styles differ. onyekuru is more of a striker cum winger in the mould of CR7, thierry henry, osaze etc guys who can play on the flanks but always have a goal threat in them. such players will end up in the number 9 position. it will be more logical to compare onyekuru to kayode olanrewaju both play on the wings and have an eye for goal

simon on the other hand is a pure winger who just loves to take on and beat his man. the main stat that would be used to judge him is his number of assists but he will be also expected to contribute his fair share of goals. simon's game is most similar to people like hazard, robben, di maria and the likes. it would be more logical to compare simon to vicmo, peter olayinka, samuel kalu or even ahmed musa.

that said based on team honours obviously simon moses is ahead but on individual achievements henry is definitely ahead. more goals, good number of assists, signed by a club in a higher ranked league, better career trajectory etc but like i said before i think they have different roles for us to be putting them side by side. it's like comparing hazard to morata
you're spot on bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:48pm On Oct 23, 2017
Icon4s:

Yet, Simon has 2 goals and an assist during w/q. How? shocked

Iwobi is an AM, the earlier we realize the better.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aodis: 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

These are the kind of players we need. Rohr should give him a chance. he has a typical Brazilian mentality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 3:53pm On Oct 23, 2017
Icon4s:

Reason why Simon is still in the Super Eagles starting 11 is because we don't have so many wingers better than he is at the moment.

If he Doesn't change his style of play he'll end up like the likes of Pius Ikedia and Ahmed Musa.

Simon has a lot to learn in terms of his final passes.
He works so very hard but the product of all those hardwork is just average or less.

You saw how Iwobi changed things upon his introduction against Zambia? That is how a modern winger plays.

You notice Iwobi didn't run much on the wings which gave Shehu acres to make his runs. Iwobi went deep close to the AM position which was where Shehu's cross came to meet him and the rest is history. Ahmed Musa does that too once in a while but Simon is always on the flanks and doesn't really combine well with the number 10 player. His own is to take on defenders one-on and finally play one way-ward cross. You saw how Iwobi combined well with Mikel and even Ighalo. Same thing in the game in Ndola.

Yes Onyekuru is up and coming but as you rightly said I would like to see him develop as a striker.

We are blessed with wingers in this team but we don't have depth in the striking department.

Rohr should draft in Onyekuru among the CF jare.

I have said it time and time again that Simon is not an intelligent winger. Yes, he works so hard and covers the defence, but that connection in the final third is just not there.

We can praise him all we want for his defensive qualities but we need to realize that he is first of all an attacking player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:58pm On Oct 23, 2017
aodis:

These are the kind of players we need. Rohr should give him a chance. he has a typical Brazilian mentality.

I disagree, he needs to play at a higher level.. He is young so let us be patient.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aodis: 4:06pm On Oct 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

I disagree, he needs to play at a higher level.. He is young so let us be patient.

22 years and was playing in the Brazilian league before coming to Denmark!!!! come off it bra! having experience in the Brazilian league and Dannish league is way better that most peeps playing in the Chinese league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:13pm On Oct 23, 2017
aodis:

22 years and was playing in the Brazilian league before coming to Denmark!!!! come off it bra! having experience in the Brazilian league and Dannish league is way better that most peeps playing in the Chinese league.

He is playing in the 2nd division in Denmark. Played in the lower divisions in Brazil.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2017
What about Francis Uzoho of Deportivo La Coruna?
I haven't heard news about him this weekend. Maybe he didn't play or what?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:16pm On Oct 23, 2017
Eligreat247:
What about Francis Uzoho of Deportivo La Coruna?
I haven't heard news about him this weekend. Maybe he didn't play or what?

He plays today..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1877) (1878) (1879) (1880) (1881) (1882) (1883) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), Ppogbae, elyte89 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.