Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,419 members, 7,836,674 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2160) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11788768 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2157) (2158) (2159) (2160) (2161) (2162) (2163) ... (16196) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:58pm On Nov 17, 2017
That's what I'm saying indirectly. Aina will not only be fighting for the LB spot. Ebuehi will not only be fighting for the RB spot. Shehu will not only be fighting for the RB spot. As long as we are considering using different formations, other factors will be considered, it will be hard for us to really say. We should not only be looking for versatile players. But players who are effective in all the positions they can play. For now, we can say Victor Moses can play comfortably on both wings. Hence, he can play RW, LW, RWB, and LWB EFFECTIVELY. That's huge.

Mujtahida:

I don't really get. Is it that if Rohr adopts the 4!5-3-2 method we can only go with one spare RWB? And dropping two? I see us dropping one not two. Abi we go play only 5-3-2? What happens on a day we decide to play 4-3-3- where will the substitute for the RB come from if we have already dropped two out of the three we have?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:59pm On Nov 17, 2017
Icon79:
Did you watch him versus Algeria in Uyo? He was fantastic. He was arguably our best player on that day (along with Leon Balogun).

Like I said, he has only had two bad games:
Versus South Africa in Uyo. My excuse: He was trying to do too much. Both Mikel and VicMo did not play so Etebo was overloaded in the midfield....trying to be the playmaker. In addition, the whole team had a stinker in that match, so we shouldn't single him out.

Versus Algeria in Constantine. My excuse: The pitch was too bad for anybody to play in. And the poor pitch impacted Etebo's ball playing style more than other people. And Iwobi and Kelechi had bad games too .... that's because the 3 players play similar style.

O pari

I'm not writing Etebo off. I believe he would be given another opportunity but you guys are putting Ogu down. That's not fair on his two games. Let's say well done when a player has done well.

Rohr seems determined to go with our best so I believe he would give everyone a fair opportunity to prove himself but the one who doesn't take his chances and keeps crying excuses will pay for it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:02pm On Nov 17, 2017
nelszx:

Nah it isn't mockery oo just wanted to know who'll win in earnest so I can start the celebration early.....But it'd be sweet if Nigeria wins this coming world cup oo (E go sweet me to pieces grin)
I feel like laughing at you but I don't want to put myself in a position where na you go laugh me. Let's hope for the best and then watch as things play out. Our hopes would be shaped by the on field display of the SE at Russia gan gan
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:02pm On Nov 17, 2017
Well, the point I was trying to make is that no one has displaced anyone yet until, at least, the next game. Hopefully, all of them would be in camp at that time then we'd see who gets the nod.

O pari

Kog45:
Oh Argentina match a friendly meaning Echiejele still remain our best LB cos am seeing guys already rating Ebuhei, Idowu ahead of others

I remember James Obiorah used friendly match to displace Wilson Oruma from 2002 WC team

Mike Emenalo used ordinary friendly match to displace Nduka Ugbade from US 94 team

Enyeama used friendly match to pushed Ejide to number 3 prior to 2002 WC.

Dosu Joseph pushed Emma Babayaro to number 2 through friendly match

My man any match either friendly or official match is enough to determine a player.

As it now i w rather pick Ogu than Agu cos have watched both and i know what they can do.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:03pm On Nov 17, 2017
Kog45:
Oh Argentina match a friendly meaning Echiejele still remain our best LB cos am seeing guys already rating Ebuhei, Idowu ahead of others

I remember James Obiorah used friendly match to displace Wilson Oruma from 2002 WC team

Mike Emenalo used ordinary friendly match to displace Nduka Ugbade from US 94 team

Enyeama used friendly match to pushed Ejide to number 3 prior to 2002 WC.

Dosu Joseph pushed Emma Babayaro to number 2 through friendly match

My man any match either friendly or official match is enough to determine a player.

As it now i w rather pick Ogu than Agu cos have watched both and i know what they can do.
You too much

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:05pm On Nov 17, 2017
Personally, I will rate Ogu slightly ahead of Agu. But having said that, it isn't fair to rate Agu based solely on two cameo appearances. He didn't start in any of those games. On each of those occasions, he was specifically subbed in to do a job. And only Rohr can say whether he did the job well or not.

O pari

Mujtahida:

You forget that just like Ogu, Mikel Agu had two run of games. He wasn't convincing. I am one of those who believe in him. But Ogu impressed at least more than Agu. If Agu were fit I don't think Rohr would have played him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:06pm On Nov 17, 2017
Joebie:
That's what I'm saying indirectly. Aina will not only be fighting for the LB spot. Ebuehi will not only be fighting for the RB spot. Shehu will not only be fighting for the RB spot. As long as we are considering using different formations, other factors will be considered, it will be hard for us to really say. We should not only be looking for versatile players. But players who are effective in all the positions they can play. For now, we can say Victor Moses can play comfortably on both wings. Hence, he can play RW, LW, RWB, and LWB EFFECTIVELY. That's huge.

The bolded is where Etebo seems to be falling short. Versatility must combine with effectiveness.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:07pm On Nov 17, 2017
falsenine.com ?
Checking it out

Mujtahida:

Germany especially. If fact Germany switched play to the extent that it cost them in Euro 2012. Go to false9.com I trust you will enjoy thier write ups.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:09pm On Nov 17, 2017
Noooo. I wasn't dismissing Ogu's performance against Argentina. He puts in a good shift, but I just want guys to slow down with the hype. Some folks are already acting as if Ogu is the best thing since slice bread ... he has now taken over the DM role and displaced Onazi, just with one good outing! Helloooo?

O pari

Mujtahida:

I'm not writing Etebo off. I believe he would be given another opportunity but you guys are putting Ogu down. That's not fair on his two games. Let's say well done when a player has done well.

Rohr seems determined to go with our best so I believe he would give everyone a fair opportunity to prove himself but the one who doesn't take his chances and keeps crying excuses will pay for it.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:15pm On Nov 17, 2017
Icon79:
Personally, I will rate Ogu slightly ahead of Agu. But having said that, it isn't fair to rate Agu based solely on two cameo appearances. He didn't start in any of those games. On each of those occasions, he was specifically subbed in to do a job. And only Rohr can say whether he did the job well or not.

O pari

I am one of those who believes in Agu. I am only comparing his showing with that of Ogu. Ogu performed better. Don't say cameo ooo. As it stands every player should psyche himself to give his all even if he's given a cameo. Ebuehi had 45 minutes, he ran and ran cos that opportunity might not come again. Even if he misses out to Russia, nobody will say it was because he was poor in performance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:17pm On Nov 17, 2017
Joebie:
falsenine.com ?
Checking it out

False9.com not falsenine.com

http://www.thefalse9.com/2014/11/joachim-loew-tactics.html.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:19pm On Nov 17, 2017
Well, it really doesn't matter to me which one of them makes the World Cup team. If Ogu makes it, I would be happy because he deserved to have been in the Brazil World Cup team ahead of all the journey men that Keshi (RIP) packed into that team.

O pari

Mujtahida:

I am one of those who believes in Agu. I am only comparing his showing with that of Ogu. Ogu performed better. Don't say cameo ooo. As it stands every player should psyche himself to give his all even if he's given a cameo. Ebuehi had 45 minutes, he ran and ran cos that opportunity might not come again. Even if he misses out to Russia, nobody will say it was because he was poor in performance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:23pm On Nov 17, 2017
Icon79:
Noooo. I wasn't dismissing Ogu's performance against Argentina. He puts in a good shift, but I just want guys to slow down with the hype. Some folks are already acting as if Ogu is the best thing since slice bread ... he has now taken over the DM role and displaced Onazi, just with one good outing! Helloooo?

O pari

Yes we must not hype any player. Our analysis should be measured although the excitement is understandable.

Not much emphasis about Mikel, about Ndidi's tireless running, tackles, interceptions, ball winning. In fact do you know that Awaziem's long range passes were responsible for our second and third goals? He swept one long one to Iheanacho, Iheanacho gave it to Ndidi, Ndidi lost it momentarily but recovered it quickly and gave the pass to Nacho which Nacho threaded to Iwobi. Then for the third goal again Awaziem picked out Mikel with a pin point long range pass. Mikel gave Iwobi, Iwobi to Nacho and then Idowu.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:24pm On Nov 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Just like Mikel I guess it looks better to him

Mikel case was a mistake from under 17 2003..instead of Michael they printed Mikel...

And he sticked to it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:24pm On Nov 17, 2017
oh thefalse9

I actually read a blog on falsenine.com
Pretty good one too.

Mujtahida:

False9.com not falsenine.com

http://www.thefalse9.com/2014/11/joachim-loew-tactics.html.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:26pm On Nov 17, 2017
Joebie:
Colin is not Collins. two different names.
Mikel is derived from Michael. In Mikel Obi's case, it was PROBABLY misspelled at a point in time, then it stuck to him.

It was a mistake during under 17 in 2003...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:29pm On Nov 17, 2017
Napoleon55:
it's only forgiveness will tell u that Taye Taiwo is better than Babayaro.
not that he meant it,it's just to make sure he is at the opposing side
Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:39pm On Nov 17, 2017
Tyronne Ebuehi on being a Right Back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48jXIf5Eyp0

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2017
I remember what you wrote about balance. I think for balance sake it's good to have Ogu play at the left side of the double pivot. Still, it would be great if both players could also play with the other foot.

Mujtahida:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 6:46pm On Nov 17, 2017
terzurum5:

I think with time and as undeniable realities of time begin to manifest, people will begin to appreciate positions of different People's opinions here.

I have not forgotten your stance regarding the best player picked not minding his level of experience.

Lord Guardiola seems to be getting it right with his system, but no one seems to appreciate TheGoodJoe's belief in his system.

When he wins Epl 3 seasons in a row, and wins Champions league join, I will come here and acknowledge him as the Grand master Jedi of Soccer!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:47pm On Nov 17, 2017
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Don't mock him ooo. That's how someone said we would beat Argentina and he was laughed to scorn. Turns out his 'foolish' prediction happened.

Funny enough I saw someone predicted 4-2 victory of Nigeria Argentina match the day NFF announced the friendly on nairaland... It's funny though...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:55pm On Nov 17, 2017
Very well said! I was actually most impressed with Ndidi. Watching him in that game reminded me of the player I know at Leicester City. Awazien as well had a good game. He started off slowly but grew into the game. Anyway, I actually see a situation where both Etebo, Agu, Onazi, Ogu, and Joel Obi all make it Russia ... especially if Rohr intends to stick with the 3-5-2 formation or 4-5-1.

O pari

Mujtahida:

Yes we must not hype any player. Our analysis should be measured although the excitement is understandable.

Not much emphasis about Mikel, about Ndidi tireless running, tackles, interceptions, ball winning. In fact do you know that Awaziem's long range passes were responsible for our second and third goals? He swept one long one to Iheanacho, Iheanacho gave it to Ndidi, Ndidi lost it momentarily but recovered it quickly and gave the pass to Nacho which Nacho threaded to Iwobi. Then for the third goal again Awaziem picked out Mikel with a pin point long range pass. Mikel gave Iwobi, Iwobi to Nacho and then Idowu.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:59pm On Nov 17, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Mikel case was a mistake from under 17 2003..instead of Michael they printed Mikel...

And he sticked to it

I wouldn't rule out that scenario but I feel they just liked the look of 'Bryan' better just as Mikel decided to use his.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:00pm On Nov 17, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

O pari i get your point,you mean the hype on Ogu too much,well i still rate Onazi ahead of him but Agu No.

On Agu comeo appearance,i w not called Zambia match a comeo cos he came early in the first half but not convincing enough,remember Ebuhei and Idowu that guys are praising,just had 45 minutes appearance and they look solid.

There is no much time any opportunity must be utilised or else you lose your place.

For instance look at Nwakaeme,whether he like it or not his place in the squad is not guaranteed again like before,he may be called or not.

I can assure you that Rohr w call Kayode and Oyekwuru before Nwakaeme cos he had his chance by starting against Algeria and Rohr even pushed Iheanacho to the wing to see what he can do

What a great opportunity but he failed to grab it, a good performance against Algeria would have seen him starting Argentina match.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:08pm On Nov 17, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Funny enough I saw someone predicted 4-2 victory of Nigeria Argentina match the day NFF announced the friendly on nairaland... It's funny though...
I like weird stuffs like that. You remember the guy the day we played our last WCQ against Zambia and he said that Iwobi would score 8 minutes after his introduction and it happened just that way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 7:12pm On Nov 17, 2017
lexyman:

You re right , a good ball holder will do the magic . Their is a guy in the Nigeria League , still trying to remember his name . He played during the Olympic qualifier and had issue with Sia1 . Please help me with name . Where is that guy he plays that role better too , what league is he presently
Kingsley Sokari. He's in Tunisia now, I think.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:15pm On Nov 17, 2017
I totally agree with almost everything you said. Mikel Agu has been unconvincing so far to say the least, but Rohr seems to like him. The 3 players I think Rohr has a soft spot for are: Ndidi, Awazien, and Agu. Ndidi has justified the confidence. Awazien is gradually getting there, but Agu still has a long way to go.

As regard to John Ogu, he's a fighter and a worker. Do we need a brawler in the team? We probably do; however, I have major concerns about some of his shortcomings. And I have expressed similar concerns about Ekong as well ... his poor passes and cheap giveaways from the back may spell doom for us at the wrong time. There are many upsides to Ekong's game but I hope that Rohr would advice him not to attempt passing out from the back, he should just booth the balls away. He almost gave me a heart attack in the first half against Argentina with one of his trademark poor passes grin

O pari

Kog45:
O pari i get your point,you mean the hype on Ogu too much,well i still rate Onazi ahead of him but Agu No.

On Agu comeo appearance,i w not called Zambia match a comeo cos he came early in the first half but not convincing enough,remember Ebuhei and Idowu that guys are praising,just had 45 minutes appearance and they look solid.

There is no much time any opportunity must be utilised or else you lose your place.

For instance look at Nwakaeme,whether he like it or not his place in the squad is not guaranteed again like before,he may be called or not.

I can assure you that Rohr w call Kayode and Oyekwuru before Nwakaeme cos he had his chance by starting against Algeria and Rohr even pushed Iheanacho to the wing to see what he can do

What a great opportunity but he failed to grab it, a good performance against Algeria would have seen him starting Argentina match.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:25pm On Nov 17, 2017
CHAN draw coming up in a bit.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 7:27pm On Nov 17, 2017
Icon79:
I totally agree with almost everything you said. Mikel Agu has been unconvincing so far to say the least, but Rohr seems to like him. The 3 players I think Rohr has a soft spot for are: Ndidi, Awazien, and Agu. Ndidi has justified the confidence. Awazien is gradually getting there, but Agu still has a long way to go.

As regard to John Ogu, he's a fighter and a worker. Do we need a brawler in the team? We probably do; however, I have major concerns about some of his shortcomings. And I have expressed similar concerns about Ekong as well ... his poor passes and cheap giveaways from the back may spell doom for us at the wrong time. There are many upsides to Ekong's game but I hope that Rohr would advice him not to attempt passing out from the back, he should just booth the balls away. He almost gave me a heart attack in the first half against Argentina with one of his trademark poor passes grin

O pari

Our world cup selection will be very very interesting grin grin..
Let's see if Rohr won't allow sentiment cloud his judgment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:30pm On Nov 17, 2017
I don't think he would tho. He's a German. OK, a Franco-German but he has a German heart. They are the most cold blooded human beings in the world. They have no soul .... no emotion, if you know what I mean grin

And by the way, one shocking player who might miss the cut is Jude Ighalo .... especially if Rohr decides to stick with this his false 9 system.
#JustSaying

O pari

Danielnino00:

Our world cup selection will be very very interesting grin grin..
Let's see if Rohr won't allow sentiment cloud his judgment.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:41pm On Nov 17, 2017
what channel?

Danielnino00:
CHAN draw coming up in a bit.....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:57pm On Nov 17, 2017
Icon79:

O pari

Ndidi was the roughest against Argentina. He committed more fouls than any other SE player.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2157) (2158) (2159) (2160) (2161) (2162) (2163) ... (16196) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2innocent(m), daveP(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.