Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:05 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2396) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11705280 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2393) (2394) (2395) (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) ... (16160) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 18, 2017
safarigirl:
lol....CAF use a scientific process? grin

I think I'm done

Care to tell how it is done?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:49pm On Dec 18, 2017
Nne, you made a good point that these days strikers (goal scorers) are favored in winning those awards. The keyword being "winning". And some clown came out of nowhere to argue that Kante came 8th!

I mean, how's that relevant to the point you made (or were tryna make)

O pari o for NL

safarigirl:
lol....anything is better than nothing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:50pm On Dec 18, 2017
Icon79:
The funny thing is that Cristiano has never even been compared with the other greats. He's only (always) been compared to Messi, mostly by Messi's detractors. The debate about the greatest of all time always ends with Pele, Maradona, and Messi.

There's one thing that differentiate the three: they are all know with one NAME. Something like Cristiano Ronaldo wouldn't belong on that list grin

O pari

lol.....the words of a Messi fan can nwverf be taken seriously in such things
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
Questence:

Care to tell how it is done?
is it not you that claimed CAF uses a scientific process to calculate stats and determine nominations?

You should be the one explaining this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:51pm On Dec 18, 2017
But it's true. Facts are facts.

I have never seen anyone try to compare Cristiano Ronaldo with Maradona or Pele.

O pari

safarigirl:
lol.....the words of a Messi fan can nwverf be taken seriously in such things

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria’s Head coach, Gernot Rohr, says he needs just four ‘stronger’ players in the Super Eagles to complete his team for the Russia 2018 World Cup.

Speaking in Germany last week, Rohr said it is not fair if critics continue to take aim at his goalkeepers for not being good enough for the World Cup.
”We are looking at the World Cup and it is not gamely if people express concerns about the goalkeepers. With the goalkeepers we defeated strong teams during the qualifiers. I have that experience of this level, qualifying through Africa zone is much tougher in Africa and we took the goalkeepers to face a strong fire-force of Argentina”

In fact, Rohr said what he was looking to add are four players who he believe can give the team a steelier outlook.
”We are looking at the team all-round but because we need a rhythm, we shall be looking for just four players to improve the team. If we can be successful with them, then we are ready for the World Cup.
The Franco-German added that the Nigerian team, being the youngest going to the World Cup are looking beyond Russia 2018.

”We want a smart appearance at Russia but this project does not end here. We believe we can empower young Nigeria players to do well in international and continental football, so that is why I tell the Federation that we need a long-term plan for the Eagles which include a good preparation for AFCON 2019.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2017
Questence:

I was buttressing the fact that you could be a defensive midfielder (or any other position asides a striker) and win the CAF awards based on performance. Kante was had soaring stats last season plus he won the premier league. If he was African he could have won the awards.
If Kante was an African, he would have won. But if he were a Nigerian he may still not win.

It is one thing to be an African, it is another to be a Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 18, 2017
safarigirl:
is it not you that claimed CAF uses a scientific process to calculate stats and determine nominations?

You should be the one explaining this

You disagreed. So kindly tell me how it's been done. grin grin

They grade the nominees by points. I suppose they just make up those numbers right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 18, 2017
terzurum5:

If Kante was an African, he would have won. But if he were a Nigerian he may still not win.

It is one thing to be an African, it is another to be a Nigerian.

Are you suggesting there is a conspiracy against Nigerian players? lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 4:56pm On Dec 18, 2017
Questence:

Are you suggesting there is a conspiracy against Nigerian players? lol

Exactly

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:02pm On Dec 18, 2017
terzurum5:

Harsh

But true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:05pm On Dec 18, 2017
Questence:

You disagreed. So kindly tell me how it's been done. grin grin

They grade the nominees by points. I suppose they just make up those numbers right?
points from statistics?

So, it is not journalists, pundits, coaches and players voting anymore?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Nope, he doesn't always play. And when he plays, its a stoppage time introduction.

Dat is a fat lie. Out of the 15 matches he was available to play he has played 12, and it is only in 3 matches he didn't play up to 10 minutes.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:07pm On Dec 18, 2017
mazimee:
Nigeria’s Head coach, Gernot Rohr, says he needs just four ‘stronger’ players in the Super Eagles to complete his team for the Russia 2018 World Cup.

Speaking in Germany last week, Rohr said it is not fair if critics continue to take aim at his goalkeepers for not being good enough for the World Cup.
”We are looking at the World Cup and it is not gamely if people express concerns about the goalkeepers. With the goalkeepers we defeated strong teams during the qualifiers. I have that experience of this level, qualifying through Africa zone is much tougher in Africa and we took the goalkeepers to face a strong fire-force of Argentina”

In fact, Rohr said what he was looking to add are four players who he believe can give the team a steelier outlook.
”We are looking at the team all-round but because we need a rhythm, we shall be looking for just four players to improve the team. If we can be successful with them, then we are ready for the World Cup.
The Franco-German added that the Nigerian team, being the youngest going to the World Cup are looking beyond Russia 2018.

”We want a smart appearance at Russia but this project does not end here. We believe we can empower young Nigeria players to do well in international and continental football, so that is why I tell the Federation that we need a long-term plan for the Eagles which include a good preparation for AFCON 2019.
Baba Rohr knows how to protect his players from the media shaaa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:10pm On Dec 18, 2017
Well, let's hope that they do grin

O pari

safarigirl:
shey NFF said they have a roadmap....it is too early to conclude
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:11pm On Dec 18, 2017
mazimee:

Obafemi Martins is number one.

One striker
One AMF/CMF
One DMF
One DF

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:13pm On Dec 18, 2017
Amen! Gernot Rohr definitely knows what he's doing.

Oya, all you player agents and egunje eating journos who full naija, mek una go eat una hearts out tongue
There's absolutely no room for a 40 year old Obafemi Martins in this team. If you wanna play him go form your own team and then invite him.

O pari

mazimee:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:23pm On Dec 18, 2017
Icon79:
Since when did the 7th runner up (the 7th loser) became the winner

Sometimes some of y'all strike me as .... (*abeg, lemme swallow*) angry angry

O pari

You didn't actually get point. I stated it to confute the notion that it was all about goalscoring. He he was named ahead of some fantabulous goalscorers, so I think it was apt to mention such achievement considering the context. And besides, he won the prestigious 2017 PFA Player of the Year award and it seems you advertently left that out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:27pm On Dec 18, 2017
safarigirl:
points from statistics?

So, it is not journalists, pundits, coaches and players voting anymore?

Lol so you knew tongue tongue tongue

Anyways I understand where you are going. Winners are a reflection of the judgement of some individuals and does not necessarily reflect quality of work or efficiency of the players involved, and human judgement can be skewed, in this case, skews much towards picking strikers/goal scorers over others. tongue tongue tongue

Conclusion: 1. You argue too much grin grin grin

2. Sallah and Mane have have rightly been selected ahead of Moses this season based on performance.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:30pm On Dec 18, 2017
The bottom line is that those 3 players: Mane, Salah, and Aubameyang are better than Moses. However, if we are going by Cristiano Ronaldo standard then VicMo should win it but none of the other players won any silverwares last season.

O pari

elyte89:
Vic moses dropped as d final three man list of APOTY revealed...salah aubameyang and Mane

Oya open up d floor with series of argument, y Moses should b dropped or not grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
Actually, her point is that you have to be a prolific scorer to win the awards (not to get nominated). I mean, getting nominated is irrelevant here because VicMo was nominated as well. The argument was why he wouldn't win.

O pari

blueto:
You didn't actually get point. I stated it to confute the notion that it was all about goalscoring. He he was named ahead of some fantabulous goalscorers, so I think it was apt to mention such achievement considering the context. And besides, he won the prestigious 2017 PFA Player of the Year award and it seems you advertently left that out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:36pm On Dec 18, 2017
Uzoho extends his clean sheets.. 8 clean sheets in 11 games.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:56pm On Dec 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
he's still a small boy grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 5:56pm On Dec 18, 2017
forgiveness:

Obafemi Martins is number one.

One striker
One AMF/CMF
One DMF
One DF
how about the goalkeeping department
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 18, 2017
Icon79:
Actually, her point is that you have to be a prolific scorer to win the awards (not to get nominated). I mean, getting nominated is irrelevant here because VicMo was nominated as well. The argument was why he wouldn't win.

O pari

then why are you eschewing the fact that he won the PFA Player of the Year award also? or was that just a mere nomination too?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 5:58pm On Dec 18, 2017
Concerning the CAF argument
I think it's not fair for Victor Moses not to be nominated for the final selection
Apart from he won the premier league with Chelsea and he helped Nigeria to qualify for the World Cup
Do you think it's easy to be converted from a winger to a wingback??
Sincerely as am a winger, the day I played the wingback role I hated myself
It was like there was no more blood in me
To move down back and forth along the wing is not a joke
It requires a machine to play that role and it limits your scoring chances
As the occupier of that role is attacking he is also defending at the same time
And here is Moses who thrived in the role and plays it week in and out without any signs of fatigue
At least if Moses is not going to win the award he should have been nominated for the top three
And someone here is saying he didn't play AFCON
Wetin aubameyang do for his country??
Is someone not lewandowski who replicated his club form for his country and made his country qualify for World Cup??

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
In the absences of a fit Enyeama, this dude has support to for first choice ahead of Ezenwa and Akpeyi if his present form is maintained or improved on.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 18, 2017
tbaba1234:
I like that “In Christ Alone” phrase. On point.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:10pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:
In the absences of a fit Enyeama, this dude has support to for first choice ahead of Ezenwa and Akpeyi if his present form is maintained or improved on.
how can you recommend a 19-year old for first choice? You think senior World Cup is U-20?

Add to that, he is not even playing in a top league, I mean, really, do you know the kind of shitty strikers he's up against? Can you compare them to the likes of Messi, Aguero, Modric or Rakitic?

Please, let's focus on begging Enyeama to come back, we shouldn't lose hope because we cannot field an inexperienced baby goalie for something as important as the World Cup

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 18, 2017
safarigirl:
how can you recommend a 19-year old for first choice? You think senior World Cup is U-20?

Add to that, he is not even playing in a top league, I mean, really, do you know the kind of shitty strikers he's up against? Can you compare them to the likes of Messi, Aguero, Modric or Rakitic?

Please, let's focus on begging Enyeama to come back, we shouldn't lose hope because we cannot field an inexperienced baby goalie for something as important as the World Cup
gringrin

My dear, if you are good enough, then you are old enough. The highly rated experienced players (Yobo and Enyeama) seems to be reasons why Nigeria was kicked out in the last world cup edition. it brings a bit of mirth to see that Rohr is already looking ahead of the 2018, so he might not really bother himself about Enyeama.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by korlahwarleh: 6:25pm On Dec 18, 2017
I think the main culprit in this CAF awards is the timing. To be honest, we football fans have short memory. That's why a player is as good as his last performance. Some Man U fans that were booing Lukaku two weeks ago are now singing his praise. A lot of people have forgotten what Moses did last season. Look at Abumeyang and Salah's stats this season and Mane's early season form (the fact that he's from a francophone country is also significant). These performances are hard to ignore by the voters and fans.
In my opinion, I think this award should hold within July and September if they're serious about it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:27pm On Dec 18, 2017
blueto:
gringrin

My dear, if you are good enough, then you are old enough. The highly rated experienced players (Yobo and Enyeama) seems to be reasons why Nigeria was kicked out in the last world cup edition. it brings a bit of mirth to see that Rohr is already looking ahead of the 2018, so he might not really bother himself about Enyeama.
please, this theory does not apply to the GK department.

How do you even know he's good enough? Because he has 8/11 clean sheets in a backwater league? angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (2393) (2394) (2395) (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) ... (16160) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: komekn(m), opes and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.