Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2399) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11700676 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) (2402) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:54pm On Dec 18, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

LOL saying it in front of an oracle adds nothing. Salah has been on fire lately but Moses should have been on the shortlist.
He was on the 5 man shortlist.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by poseidonsaiz(m): 12:02am On Dec 19, 2017
Icon79:
Amen! Gernot Rohr definitely knows what he's doing.

Oya, all you player agents and egunje eating journos who full naija, mek una go eat una hearts out tongue
There's absolutely no room for a 40 year old Obafemi Martins in this team. If you wanna play him go form your own team and then invite him.

O pari

Why do i have this feeling he'll be the one to take one of the available CF slots upfront?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:03am On Dec 19, 2017
goldfish80:

He was on the 5 man shortlist.

3 man shortlist was the least he deserved. Salah could score 100 goals and still never get his hands on the epl title. Moses changed football.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by poseidonsaiz(m): 12:07am On Dec 19, 2017
safarigirl:
how can you recommend a 19-year old for first choice? You think senior World Cup is U-20?

Add to that, he is not even playing in a top league, I mean, really, do you know the kind of shitty strikers he's up against? Can you compare them to the likes of Messi, Aguero, Modric or Rakitic?

Please, let's focus on begging Enyeama to come back, we shouldn't lose hope because we cannot field an inexperienced baby goalie for something as important as the World Cup
And what if Enyeama return haunts us much later during the world cup? We just gotta be hopeful and optimistic about who ever mans the goal post in Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 12:15am On Dec 19, 2017
poseidonsaiz:
And what if Enyeama return haunts us much later during the world cup? We just gotta be hopeful and optimistic about who ever mans the goal post in Russia.
She's just being sarcastic, She has argued your points not long ago.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:15am On Dec 19, 2017
Icon79:
Actually, Zidane didn't score a lot of goal. He was just your old fashioned playmaker. As a matter of fact, goal scoring only came to become all in all in this day of Cristiano Ronaldo because that's the only way they could possibly justify giving him the awards ahead of Messi.

O pari

na only you and Messi know wetin CR7 do you. Even me that doesn't like Messi for anything, I no fit dey attack am like this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:53am On Dec 19, 2017
goldfish80:

I have always been surprised how much people here over rated this guy. When I argued against the hype, some thought I was just anti foreign born. Thank goodness a fresh pair of eyes have come to terms with what I've been saying.

He is a young player, perhaps he is just going through a poor spell. He scored a lot in the Championship.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:54am On Dec 19, 2017
This cracked me up!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:44am On Dec 19, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

3 man shortlist was the least he deserved. Salah could score 100 goals and still never get his hands on the epl title. Moses changed football.
The award is not about trophies won for a European team. What if no African won the league for a top 5 European league club , will the award be cancelled for the year under review?
Did Mustafa Hadji, Kanoute, Adebayo, Aubameyang, Yaya Toure( 2012), Victor Ikpeba win any league at their crowning moment?
Please let's educate ourselves before over analysing.

It's even laughable that some analyst believe there's an anti Nigerian sentiment from within the continent. How delusional can one be? This is an event a Nigerian company have sponsored for the past 10 years and counting. An event which have been held in Abuja back to back since globacom took title sponsorship.

How there can be anti Nigerian sentiment for an event we own, host and sponsored is just laughable.

Moses neither made the BBC top 3 shortlist nor the CAF top 3. How can these two bodies be wrong at the same time? Isn't it time we look at the thing critically and find answers we seek?

Moses wasn't even the best right back in London for a guy who changed football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:52am On Dec 19, 2017
tbaba1234:
This cracked me up!!
The writer is deluded . This sort of tweet made me abandon twitter since 2012.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:05am On Dec 19, 2017
Tammy has hit a rough patch..just say it as it is. When Tammy was on fire he was unplayable.
The boy will get back. it's normal with strikers. There was no hype about Tammy.

goldfish80:

I have always been surprised how much people here over rated this guy. When I argued against the hype, some thought I was just anti foreign born. Thank goodness a fresh pair of eyes have come to terms with what I've been saying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:06am On Dec 19, 2017
Seriously we need to make the league really professional.

tbaba1234:
This cracked me up!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:10am On Dec 19, 2017
Joebie:
Tammy has hit a rough patch..just say it as it is. When Tammy was on fire he was unplayable.
The boy will get back. it's normal with strikers. There was no hype about Tammy.

Unplayable ke? With those 2 tap in goals and zero assists ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:25am On Dec 19, 2017
The problem really is it's all about voting.. which has already started.. abi?
We they argue criteria this criteria that.
The criteria one coach or team captain use in voting may not be the same as another coach or team captain. We can never remove sentiments or politics entirely.
The CAF awards is more tricky.. because there are even more factors that come to play compared to other awards.
Let's consider these factors:
1. The individual performance of the player in a CAF competition that year or/and season
2. How the players performance impacted the team's achievement that year or/and season
3. The individual performance of the player in a European competition that year or/and season
4. How the players performance impacted the team's achievement in that competition that year or/and season
5. The individual performance of the player in the league that year or/and season
6. How the player's performance impacted the teams' achievement in that league year or/and season
7. The performance of the player in World Cup qualification for the said year
8. How the player's performance impacted the teams achievement in WC qualification for the said year
9. In all of the above, the significance of the player's achievement with club or country (e.g think Salah helping Egypt to qualify for the first time after so many years)

Did CAF ever come clearly to say which factor should carry more weight? Capital NO

So it's left for the designated voters to choose whatever factor they want when they vote. In the process sentiments will come in. Hence, Victor Moses is already out.
There is no foul play here, because he could have made the shortlist to other player's detriment for the same reason.

goldfish80:

The award is not about trophies won for a European team. What if no African won the league for a top 5 European league club , will the award be cancelled for the year under review?
Did Mustafa Hadji, Kanoute, Adebayo, Aubameyang, Yaya Toure( 2012), Victor Ikpeba win any league at their crowning moment?
Please let's educate ourselves before over analysing.

It's even laughable that some analyst believe there's an anti Nigerian sentiment from within the continent. How delusional can one be? This is an event a Nigerian company have sponsored for the past 10 years and counting. An event which have been held in Abuja back to back since globacom took title sponsorship.

How there can be anti Nigerian sentiment for an event we own, host and sponsored is just laughable.

Moses neither made the BBC top 3 shortlist nor the CAF top 3. How can these two bodies be wrong at the same time? Isn't it time we look at the thing critically and find answers we seek?

Moses wasn't even the best right back in London for a guy who changed football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:29am On Dec 19, 2017
firstly, you cannot judge correctly if you are are hater.. You just have to say it as it..
Against Arsenal before he was called up to represent England, was that also a tap in. Oh yes he didn't score.. but wasn't that a clever assist?
Abi he didn't earn his England call up? grin

Modified
Oh and he's scored two tap-ins so far this season.. goals tally equals two.. kwantinue

goldfish80:

Unplayable ke? With those 2 tap in goals and zero assists ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:09am On Dec 19, 2017
Joebie:
firstly, you cannot judge correctly if you are are hater.. You just have to say it as it..
Against Arsenal before he was called up to represent England, was that also a tap in. Oh yes he didn't score.. but wasn't that a clever assist?

Modified
Oh and he's scored two tap-ins so far this season.. goals tally equals two.. kwantinue

His England call-up was rushed because of competition from Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:11am On Dec 19, 2017
Leon Balogun was injured on Saturday (he was subbed early) and will be unavailable Mainz next game..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 6:01am On Dec 19, 2017
tbaba1234:
Leon Balogun was injured on Saturday (he was subbed early) and will be unavailable Mainz next game..

I hope we have a replacement for him?, I like this brother but it is sad that he is not fit enough to play that position. He is easily injured.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:30am On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
If Uzoho was in the post against Argentina in the last world cup edition, I don't think Messi would have fared well against him like he performed against Enyeama. If you watch Messi's first goal in that game, he played the ball up to the roof of the net, why? because he knew fully well that Enyeama's short height wouldn't allow him to do well against up balls, and before Messi played the ball, Enyeama was looking to dive along the ground where he thrives, but Messi did not play to his expectations and strength.

Another player who understood and worked with this Enyeama's weakness was Diego Forlan of Uruguay. I remember how he scored the winning gaol against Enyeama in the Confederations cup. He played the same way Messi played his, by playing it straight to the roof of the net, and that might been how Messi discovered that the short Enyeama can't cope very well with such kind of shots.

Messi's second goal can also be attributed to same weakness. The short Enyeama couldn't see the freekick on time due to his shortness and it caused him a late reaction.

Yes, he may have made some great savings, but those goals he conceded wouldn't have been conceded by a tall Uzoho in goal. And it will unwise to start Enyeama against Argentina again (if he returns) with same Messi and other players who may have taken note of his weaknesses from that previous match.
stop making enyeama look bad just to promote Uzoho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:32am On Dec 19, 2017
nelszx:

You are even going in the line of VicMo the entire nomination is flawed. Hugo broos won the AFCON but he's not among the nominee of Coach of the year but Cameroon national team was nominated.
In all honesty, Salah shouldn't make the cut as the award is what the players have achieved in the 2016/2017 calendar year and not based on current season.
Well whatever statistics is been used then we should have the criterion for such nominees
so you mean salah didn't turn up for Roma last season? stop watching the epl alone try to watch other leagues too

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 6:37am On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
My point was that he wouldn't have conceded some of kind of goals that Enyeama conceded in the world cup, although he may not have saved the kind of balls that Enyeama saved. And I'm not saying that he is already better than enyeama, he may still need to prove that in subsequent matches.

The other point I made also was that it will not be a very good idea to start Enyeama against the same Messi led Argentine team in the world who appears to be well apprised of his weakness(es).
this your assertion isn't true, it means clubs should start rotating their keepers every two seasons just because most strikers have faced a particular keeper several times.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:45am On Dec 19, 2017
Famocious:

But none of the players from Cameroon made the cut of the top 3.
I still find the inclusion of Aubameyeng questionable ..
The AFCON is not the only factor. It is just a factor in the equation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:47am On Dec 19, 2017
mazimee:

I hope we have a replacement for him?, I like this brother but it is sad that he is not fit enough to play that position. He is easily injured.

The WC is still far away bro. Besides that Omeruo, Awaziem and Agbo are all CBs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:49am On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
My point was that he wouldn't have conceded some of kind of goals that Enyeama conceded in the world cup, although he may not have saved the kind of balls that Enyeama saved. And I'm not saying that he is already better than enyeama, he may still need to prove that in subsequent matches.

The other point I made also was that it will not be a very good idea to start Enyeama against the same Messi led Argentine team in the world who appears to be well apprised of his weakness(es).

Please how many of Uzoho's games have you watched to come about this kind of conclusion.

Nigerians, we never learn.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:54am On Dec 19, 2017
jihday:
stop making enyeama look bad just to promote Uzoho.

My brother, na the thing way we dey see here o.

This is a thread where a player that is not tested is often concluded to be the best.

Rubbishing Vincent Enyeama, Nigeria's all time best goalie for an untested Uzoho that has not played any competitive game.

It is hard to believe people who call themselves sports analysts here can be writing all these with so much confidence.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:59am On Dec 19, 2017
Icon4s:

Please how many of Uzoho's games have you watched to come about this kind of conclusion.

Nigerians, we never learn.

I wonder o!!..

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:07am On Dec 19, 2017
goldfish80:

How old is Tammy?

Just 19. He is still up and coming. Calling for his inclusion into the Super Eagles is because of his potential to grow into a top striker. And not that we have found a new Yekini.

The whole Swansea team has been poor of late. What of one of the Ayews that is there what gas he done of late?

Young players often have this kind of rough patches at a point in time in their careers. While some come out of it stronger some other do not recover.

Our own Alex Iwobi and Rashford also suffered such. Iheanacho and Success are currently experiencing that rough patch. Likewise Anthony Martial.

It is nothing new bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:42am On Dec 19, 2017
Joebie:

Modified

He wasn't exactly lighting up the Premiership. If Nigeria wasn't in the picture, he wouldn't have received a call up.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:52am On Dec 19, 2017
Icon4s:

How old is Tammy?

Just 19. He is still up and coming. Calling for his inclusion into the Super Eagles is because of his potential to grow into a top striker. And not that we have found a new Yekini.

The whole Swansea team has been poor of late. What of one of the Ayews that is there what gas he done of late?

Young players often have this kind of rough patches at a point in time in their careers. While some come out of it stronger some other do not recover.

Our own Alex Iwobi and Rashford also suffered such. Iheanacho and Success are currently experiencing that rough patch. Likewise Anthony Martial.

It is nothing new bro.

Oh please, let's not tell lies to defend the indefensible.

According to alot of analyst here, Tammy already had a shirt in the Super Eagles first 11. He was already better than Ighalo and Kelechi according to his fans here.
I can pull quotes of fantasy super eagles first 11 with Tammy as the top striker. I rather not, I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone.
To say he wasn't overrated is simply not true.

As a matter of fact, Tammy lead Swansea attack in the month of November when they managed just 4 shots on target. Kourt Zouma, the Stoke City centre back had more shots on target than a Tammy lead Swansea attack.
I know all about fledgling young players but this stat, is a damning verdit on the credibility of the player.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:06am On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
If Uzoho was in the post against Argentina in the last world cup edition, I don't think Messi would have fared well against him like he performed against Enyeama. If you watch Messi's first goal in that game, he played the ball up to the roof of the net, why? because he knew fully well that Enyeama's short height wouldn't allow him to do well against up balls, and before Messi played the ball, Enyeama was looking to dive along the ground where he thrives, but Messi did not play to his expectations and strength.

Another player who understood and worked with this Enyeama's weakness was Diego Forlan of Uruguay. I remember how he scored the winning gaol against Enyeama in the Confederations cup. He played the same way Messi played his, by playing it straight to the roof of the net, and that might been how Messi discovered that the short Enyeama can't cope very well with such kind of shots.

Messi's second goal can also be attributed to same weakness. The short Enyeama couldn't see the freekick on time due to his shortness and it caused him a late reaction.

Yes, he may have made some great savings, but those goals he conceded wouldn't have been conceded by a tall Uzoho in goal. And it will unwise to start Enyeama against Argentina again (if he returns) with same Messi and other players who may have taken note of his weaknesses from that previous match.
Oh baba No o,stop this,honestly it's absurd comparing the two, pls on what basis,height abi,OK, hope you know Emma Okala,if height does it alone Best Ogedegbe will not benched Okala and retired him.Hope you know Patrick Okala,if it's height Peter Rufai will not benched him at Afcon 1984,hope you know Austin Ejide,if it's height Enyeama would not have confined Ejide to a bench during his time as Eagles number one choice except afcon 2008 when Vogts preferred Ejide and it was glaring he made a mistake.

If it's height Uzoho will not be a third keeper at U17 WC.Truly Uzoho is tall but you forget a lot of factors determined a good keeper not just being tall and if that is the case why Uzoho demoted back to division three after two laliga matches.

Pls why are you using 2014 WC against Argentina to nail Enyeama why not 2010 WC against Messi and did you know nobody blame any keeper against Messi and Ronaldo but here you are ridicule a keeper with over 100 caps and three WC appearance, pls check Enyeama clean sheets record at Lille for God sake and you are here talking about height,you forget one of the greatest Iker Casillas.

Mind you i don't want Enyeama back but i will never rubbish him to promote untested,inexperience third division keeper, a league full of youth players that is not rated than NPFL.

I'm one of the people that came here after watching Uzoho against Girona that the guy should be given chance may be he can be the answer to our goalkeeping crisis.

Do you want to hear the fact and i know a lot would not agreed with me base on our belief that foreign based are always the best,Uzoho is not better than Dele Ajiboye and i can put my money down on it.I have watched the two closely and i can tell you is not better than him talk less of great Enyeama.A fit Enyeama in eagles camp,pls forget it,Uzoho w thank God training with the GREAT.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:11am On Dec 19, 2017
Enyeama vs Uzoho. shocked angry grin

Who be Uzoho where best goalkeeper in Africa dey? grin

Some people funny oooooooooooooooo. Uzoho!? Wey ordinary Alampasu don bench, wey dey play for division 3!? shocked grin

Maybe he may come good in the future but as it is now, na kindergarten football em still dey learn compared with Enyeama. grin

Some people dey condemn a 19 years old Abraham Tega because em no dey score, forgetting the boy na still small boy wey fit grow. grin

I have seen the boy and I can say he is good. Chikena! grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:22am On Dec 19, 2017
Icon4s:

My brother, na the thing way we dey see hear o.

This is a thread where a player that is not tested is often concluded to be the best.

Rubbishing Vincent Enyeama, Nigeria's all time best goalie for an untested Uzoho that has not played any competitive game.

It is hard to believe people who call themselves sports analysts here can be writing all these with so much confidence.
My man nobody's fault but Alloy Agu who failed to search for credible keeper cos with credible one nobody will be comparing what is not comparable(Enyeama and Uzoho)very laughable comment.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2396) (2397) (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) (2402) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.