Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,783 members, 7,820,745 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2401) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11704428 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) (2402) (2403) (2404) ... (16160) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:36am On Dec 19, 2017
True, same reason why Solanke got a call up.

goldfish80:

He wasn't exactly lighting up the Premiership. If Nigeria wasn't in the picture, he wouldn't have received a call up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:38am On Dec 19, 2017
That was in the mix, but he earned it still. What would U say about Solanke’s �
tbaba1234:

His England call-up was rushed because of competition from Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:42am On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
Ogu passed the ball to iwobi, and it was in the process of Iwobi passing the ball to Mikel that Mascherano made an attempt to trip him, but Iwobi was quick enough to complete the pass before going to the ground.
This was the sequence of passes: Ogu to Iwobi, Iwobi to Mikel, Mikel to Iwobi. It was while Iwobi was trying to get on the pass from Mikel that he was tripped by Mascherano. Not the bolded. I can't post the links to the highlights cos of this antispam bot wahala.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jarus(m): 11:49am On Dec 19, 2017
Kog45:
Truly but naija blood strong o but have you read comments like how Awaziem rendered Neymar useless, Oyekwuru finished Alves,Moses the best RWB in the world,Moses changed football.Those comments simply mean we need to promote our own but sometimes we don't need it when we want to get true picture of things.

cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2017
Guys, i don't doubt the excellence of Victor Moses as a player, but truth be told, I don't think he deserved the BBC award or the CAF award.

People bring up the argument that he won a premier league title but that is where it ends.

Looking at his stats, he didn't lead the EPL in tackles won or even in assists. I have also noted and told whoever cares to listen that he needs to improve on his crossing. That aspect of his game is particularly very poor. Even Kyle walker that doesn"t play as a wing bank but a full back has way better crossing abilities than Vic Moses. Once that part of his game improves, we should see his assists improve. Especially with a target man like Morata who is very good in the air.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:01pm On Dec 19, 2017
Kog45:
Truly but naija blood strong o but have you read comments like how Awaziem rendered Neymar useless, Oyekwuru finished Alves,Moses the best RWB in the world,Moses changed football.Those comments simply mean we need to promote our own but sometimes we don't need it when we want to get true picture of things.

Self deception and exaggeration will cause you to have a warped sense of reality and make it impossible for you to pursue excellence.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:05pm On Dec 19, 2017
I just noticed something watching Aina in the matches against Argentina and Algeria: he's very very casual. His body language doesn't speak intensity. I might be wrong but that's what I just observed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 12:17pm On Dec 19, 2017
Iwobi More Valuable Than Arsenal Stars Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Ramsey & Wilshere
allnigeriasoccer.com Dec 19, 2017 8:40 AM
Iwobi More Valuable Than Arsenal Stars Ozil, Walcott, Welbeck, Ramsey & Wilshere

Alex Iwobi is more valuable than several established internationals in the Arsenal squad, with the Nigeria international ranked the sixth most expensive player by CIES Football Observatory.
Only Alexandre Lacazette, Granit Xhaka, Hector Bellerin, Alexis Sanchez and Shkodran Mustafi cost more than the Super Eagles star at the moment.

At a cost of €99.2m, Frenchman Lacazette is the most expensive player at the Emirates outfit, followed by Xhaka (€69.2m) and Hector Bellerin (€66.8m), while Iwobi is valued at €31.5m.

Iwobi ranked higher than England stars Theo Walcott (€15.6m), Danny Welbeck (€13.7m) and Jack Wilshere (€5m).

2014 German World Cup star Mesut Ozil, who is valued at €30.3m, is less expensive than Iwobi as his contract is due to run out at the end of this season whereas the Nigerian has more than three years remaining on his deal.

Olivier Giroud and Aaron Ramsey have a market value of €16.4m and €15m respectively, while Chuba Akpom will cost €2.8m.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:34pm On Dec 19, 2017
Mujtahida:
I just noticed something watching Aina in the matches against Argentina and Algeria: he's very very casual. His body language doesn't speak intensity. I might be wrong but that's what I just observed.
I saw the goal Hull City conceded last week. Aina was the culprit. He didn't have the presence of mind to notice the attacker sneaking behind him. They lost 1:0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 19, 2017
Kog45:
Oh baba No o,stop this,honestly it's absurd comparing the two, pls on what basis,height abi,OK, hope you know Emma Okala,if height does it alone Best Ogedegbe will not benched Okala and retired him.Hope you know Patrick Okala,if it's height Peter Rufai will not benched him at Afcon 1984,hope you know Austin Ejide,if it's height Enyeama would not have confined Ejide to a bench during his time as Eagles number one choice except afcon 2008 when Vogts preferred Ejide and it was glaring he made a mistake.

If it's height Uzoho will not be a third keeper at U17 WC.Truly Uzoho is tall but you forget a lot of factors determined a good keeper not just being tall and if that is the case why Uzoho demoted back to division three after two laliga matches.

Pls why are you using 2014 WC against Argentina to nail Enyeama why not 2010 WC against Messi and did you know nobody blame any keeper against Messi and Ronaldo but here you are ridicule a keeper with over 100 caps and three WC appearance, pls check Enyeama clean sheets record at Lille for God sake and you are here talking about height,you forget one of the greatest Iker Casillas.

Mind you i don't want Enyeama back but i will never rubbish him to promote untested,inexperience third division keeper, a league full of youth players that is not rated than NPFL.

I'm one of the people that came here after watching Uzoho against Girona that the guy should be given chance may be he can be the answer to our goalkeeping crisis.

Do you want to hear the fact and i know a lot would not agreed with me base on our belief that foreign based are always the best,Uzoho is not better than Dele Ajiboye and i can put my money down on it.I have watched the two closely and i can tell you is not better than him talk less of great Enyeama.A fit Enyeama in eagles camp,pls forget it,Uzoho w thank God training with the GREAT.
this is a needless and inadvertent comment. I did not compare the proficiency of both goalkeepers which you are just needlessly trying to counter. If I say Mr A does not have the same weakness as Mr B, does that mean that I'm saying that Mr A is better than Mr B? of course not! I only pointed to the fact Uzoho will not concede some of the goals that Enyeama would concede (and vice versa) because there are disparities in their weakness(es) and strength(s). You saying that I was comparing both of them to rate Uzoho better is untrue.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:46pm On Dec 19, 2017
Mujtahida:

This was the sequence of passes: Ogu to Iwobi, Iwobi to Mikel, Mikel to Iwobi. It was while Iwobi was trying to get on the pass from Mikel that he was tripped by Mascherano. Not the bolded. I can't post the links to the highlights cos of this antispam bot wahala.
@bolded, maybe you are right, but Ogu was involved, case closed smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 12:56pm On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
this is a needless and inadvertent comment. I did not compare the proficiency of both goalkeepers which you are just needlessly trying to counter. If I say Mr A does not have the same weakness as Mr B, does that mean that I'm saying that Mr A is better than Mr B? of course not! I only pointed to the fact Uzoho will not concede some of the goals that Enyeama would concede (and vice versa) because there are disparities in their weakness(es) and strength(s). You saying that I was comparing both of them to rate Uzoho better is just an indubitable misapprehension in your part.

D part u said a particular goalkeeper A will concede certain goals while B won't..its a FALLACY statement

I don't knw where u re getting dis ur impression from,football is not 1+1=2,no...even d great goalkeepers goofs and concede silly goals,dt our Grandma would av saved easily..we av so many countless examples to back it up.

U don't analyse football dt way..it's absurd..u re saying as if some goals are designated to b conceded by some keepers,maybe due to deir height?wyle some keepers wont concede such. Any keeper can concede any goal at any moment on d pitch of play.

Abeg if we re making analyses,try to b pragmatic, we re not kg2 kids grin grin,dt will accept all analysis.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
blueto:
this is a needless and inadvertent comment. I did not compare the proficiency of both goalkeepers which you are just needlessly trying to counter. If I say Mr A does not have the same weakness as Mr B, does that mean that I'm saying that Mr A is better than Mr B? of course not! I only pointed to the fact Uzoho will not concede some of the goals that Enyeama would concede (and vice versa) because there are disparities in their weakness(es) and strength(s). You saying that I was comparing both of them to rate Uzoho better is just an indubitable misapprehension in your part.
My man i don't need to go further cos some monikers have quoted you on the same comment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:07pm On Dec 19, 2017
elyte89:

D part u said a particular goalkeeper A will concede certain goals while B won't..its a FALLACY statement

I don't knw where u re getting dis ur impression from,football is not 1+1=2,no...even d great goalkeepers goofs and concede silly goals,dt our Grandma would av saved easily..we av so many countless examples to back it up.

U don't analyse football dt way..it's absurd..u re saying as if some goals are designated to b conceded by some keepers,maybe due to deir height?wyle some keepers wont concede such. Any keeper can concede any goal at any moment on d pitch of play.

Abeg if we re making analyses,try to b pragmatic, we re not kg2 kids grin grin,dt will accept all analysis.
My guy better to accept some analysis and move on or else you end up with endless arguments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:10pm On Dec 19, 2017
Joebie:
That was in the mix, but he earned it still. What would U say about Solanke’s �
Solanke's case is similar to the Buy One Get One Free tactic, the English FA were moving for Tammy solely, then someone in the FA must have said

" Ay mait, what say we swoop in for that other Nigerian lad, what's his name?"

Komekn from the background grin "Solanke?"

"Yeah, that one. Been all over the Nigerian media too, we're going for Tammy, might as well cut them off on two sides"

Southgate "I don't think I need Solanke on my team"

"He doesn't have to be on your team, we just don't want either of them on the Nigerian team. Those bloody bastards got three of our guys already" he takes a bite from his muffin grin

And so, the regretful Solanke call-up happened. So sad my guy doesn't realise he's been royally played cry

That is the end of the story grin

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 19, 2017
Jarus:

Only a Nigerian will rank Moses ahead of Salah in 2017.

A Salah that got Egypt to AFCON final.

A Salah that got Egypt WC qualification after many years.

A Salah with fantastic performance in Roma, which he has continued in Liverpool.

Nigerians are funny.

Thank you Jarus.

The funny things we read online grin grin

Some even said they were bias to Moses because he is not a striker and he does not score goals cheesy grin grin

cc safarigirl icons79
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 19, 2017
safarigirl:
Solanke's case is similar to the Buy One Get One Free tactic, the English FA were moving for Tammy solely, then someone in the FA must have said

"Yeah, that one. Been all over the Nigerian media too, we're going for Tammy, might as well cut them off on two sides"

"He doesn't have to be on your team, we just don't want either of them on the Nigerian team. Those bloody bastards go three of our guys already" he takes a bite from his muffin grin

And so, the regretful Solanke call-up happened. So sad my guy doesn't realise he's been royally played cry

True story, this. grin grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2017
Questence:

Thank you Jarus.

Some even said they were bias to Moses because he is not a striker and he does not score goals cheesy grin grin

cc safarigirl icons79
he is specifically speaking of Salah vs Moses....don't get too excited
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 19, 2017
elyte89:

You are trying to bring in an entirely new and different point to what I have said. Everybody knows that goalkeepers sometimes have bad days that they can even concede goals that no one who have thought that they would concede even if the scorer somehow played to their strengths. that is an entirely different point that doesn't relate to what I said. Even great strikers sometimes misses some clear cut chances that no one who have thought that they would miss. They just happen on some “bad days” for them, and it has nothing to do with their strengths and weaknesses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel27: 1:26pm On Dec 19, 2017
safarigirl:

"He doesn't have to be on your team, we just don't want either of them on the Nigerian team. Those bloody bastards got three of our guys already" he takes a bite from his muffin grin

I couldn't agree more. O parry.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 19, 2017
safarigirl:
he is specifically speaking of Salah vs Moses....don't get too excited

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2017
goldfish80:

Mane, Aubameyang and Salah made the team of the season in their leagues, Moses didn't. Who is living in the past by omitting a player who wasn't considered the best in his league?
Also, make no mistake about this, Right wing back is just a morden way to describe an overlapping full back.

So Mane was on the team of the season?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

So Mane was on the team of the season?
Knock yourself out.

PFA teams of the year
Premier League: David de Gea (Manchester United); Kyle Walker (Tottenham), David Luiz (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Danny Rose (Tottenham); Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea), Sadio Mané (Liverpool); Harry Kane (Tottenham), Romelu Lukaku (Everton).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/20/chelsea-tottenham-pfa-premier-league-team-of-the-year

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Daejoyoung: 2:36pm On Dec 19, 2017
Questence:

Thank you Jarus.

cc safarigirl icons79
Moses was fantastic in 2016/2017 season and was key to chelsea's new daring formation that saw them win the league.
Moses was also key to Nigeria's qualification for the world cup, so l would say he deserves to be in the top three ahead of Abumeyang at least, but then looking at Asissat Oshoala in the women's category for instance and then comparing her to the South African Kgatlana, l now understand the sentiments involved in these awards, Abumeyang was already rated amongst the thirty best players in the World, thus there was no way Moses could be ahead of him in the CAF award,
Similarly Oshoala has been rated no 61 in the world amongst the top 100 women footballers, and so it would hardly be surprising if she goes on to win the CAF award even though she hasn't played a game for Nigeria this year and Kgatlana have been outstanding for South Africa.
ln summary, l would place Moses ahead of Abumeyang for the 2016/2017 award, especially for his contributions to Nigeria, but just as it is with Oshoala/Kgatlana, Abumeyang is a more established star with higher ratings worldwide already.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:39pm On Dec 19, 2017
goldfish80:

I saw the goal Hull City conceded last week. Aina was the culprit. He didn't have the presence of mind to notice the attacker sneaking behind him. They lost 1:0
Against Algeria he was just booting the ball, against Argentina he - to me oo- didn't show much desire to defend well. This is not about his ability as a footballer but about his attitude.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2017
elyte89:

The bolded is the main point that renders that analysis subject to such rigorous examination. Moreover it's only speculative to say Uzoho will not concede such goals. One can as well say he would concede such a goal. But like you said football is not 1+1=2.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:48pm On Dec 19, 2017
safarigirl:

Hahahaha hahahaha. Enjoyed the creative flair
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:52pm On Dec 19, 2017
So Gary Cahill made the EPL team of the year? While Virgil van Djik didn't make it? And neither did Sergio Aguero, or Alexis Sanchez. While Harry Kane and Lukaku were included? And Dele Alli made it ahead of Kevin DeBryune??

Tells you everything you need to know.

O pari

goldfish80:

Knock yourself out.

PFA teams of the year
Premier League: David de Gea (Manchester United); Kyle Walker (Tottenham), David Luiz (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Danny Rose (Tottenham); Dele Alli (Tottenham), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea), Sadio Mané (Liverpool); Harry Kane (Tottenham), Romelu Lukaku (Everton).

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/20/chelsea-tottenham-pfa-premier-league-team-of-the-year

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2017
Classic!

Couldn't have put it any better myself. Remind me to give you a fat wet kiss when you get home tonight!

O pari

safarigirl:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:04pm On Dec 19, 2017
forgiveness:

You dey lie ooooo. grin

He doesn't get to play and if he plays, it's a stoppage time introduction don turn to, he is not a starter. grin

You can lie. grin

Why are you shying away from my question if you think you're right?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:16pm On Dec 19, 2017
goldfish80:

Knock yourself out.

PFA teams of the year

Oh yea brain fart, I think I was so angry that Moses didn't make the team that I forgot Mane was even on there, but wow guy u could have just told me he was instead of posting the thing like this wins u the argument. Being on the PFA is not water in a desert guys should have to prove themselves on the continent, I rate Victor Moses as the best performer in the continent. I don't see how somebody can win the biggest league trophy on earth and then come back and destroy the defending champions and still not get shortlisted. If those guys are so good how come between them they had no trophies last season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:17pm On Dec 19, 2017
Icon79:
So Gary Cahill made the EPL team of the year? While Virgil van Djik didn't make it? And neither did Sergio Aguero, or Alexis Sanchez. While Harry Kane and Lukaku were included? And Dele Alli made it ahead of Kevin DeBryune??

Tells you everything you need to know.

O pari

My man that's the EPL team of the year list so no debate.

I can only make case for Aguero but not forgetting that Lukaku had a great season with average Everton.Last season was awesome for Dele Ali and better than DeBryune.Nobody would picked Alex Sanchez over Harry Kane.Cahil was all there doing it for Chelsea.

On Vic Moses he had a better player in that position in Kyle Walker who had a great season with Tottenham that made Pep to splash cash on him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2398) (2399) (2400) (2401) (2402) (2403) (2404) ... (16160) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), Christinu2, shawwal1(m), Lyster360 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.