Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,440 members, 7,850,539 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 01:33 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3288) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11865023 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3285) (3286) (3287) (3288) (3289) (3290) (3291) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:36am On Apr 09, 2018
Danielnino00:
My 35-man world cup preliminary squad list ..

* - very certain to make the last 23
**- possibly make the last 23 but not certain
***- might make the last 23 but with slim chances

Goalkeepers(5)

Uzoho*
Ezenwa*
Akpeyi**
Alampasu***
Ajiboye/Ejide/Aiyenubga

Defenders(10)

Balogun*
Ekong*
Awazeim*
Omeruo**
Ebuehi*
Idowu*
Shehu*
Aina**
Echijele**
Eze/Ambrose

Midfielders(10)

Mikel*
Ndidi*
Onazi*
Etebo*
Ogu**
Joel Obi**
Agu***
Ajagun
Aluko
Agbo***

Forwards(10)
Moses*
Musa*
Iwobi*
Iheanacho*
Ighalo*
Simeon*
Kayode**
Dessers /Umar***
Onyekuru**
Kalu***

But I believe the 35 man list will b just formality sake... Most of us already know the final squad by heart grin ... It would b good if Rohr use the DR Congo friendly to try out some fringe players before including them in the 35 man list.. or just use the friendly to cut down the list to 30. Either way,he should give the new invitees a chance..he should stop this Uche Agbo treatment abeg..

Ogu is ahead of Etebo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:42am On Apr 09, 2018
Martz101:

Ogu is ahead of Etebo

Baba forget all dis "AHEAD OF A THING", WHo told u one player is ahead of one,we started dis crap here.

Ogu DT barely play games in Gwg set up,u re claiming he's ahead of someone smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:44am On Apr 09, 2018
Farzat:

Nobody can argue that bro But i vindicated myself when i said except for a special talent. So any player u can mention falls into that category lol.
Meanwhile I mentioned Serbia as one of d teams that is parading matured players not really because we lost to them. However, l can argue that if we had to play Serbia again with d same squad, they will beat us over and over again.

so should we drop iwobi, iheanacho,Ndidi and co ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:47am On Apr 09, 2018
forgiveness:

I know Lukaku in Belgium before he came to Chelsea. He already made name for himself and when he played I knew he was good but Salah was nobody when he came to Chelsea.

Salah was out of place when he played for Chelsea. Not Impressive

salah was already playing champions league football with Basel before he came to chelsea
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:51am On Apr 09, 2018
elyte89:

Baba forget all dis "AHEAD OF A THING", WHo told u one player is ahead of one,we started dis crap here.

Ogu DT barely play games in Gwg set up,u re claiming he's ahead of someone smiley

Ogu that barely play games for Gwg? when last did you watch our games, Ogu played the last 4 matches and started 2 of those

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:58am On Apr 09, 2018
tbaba1234:
Awoniyi's goal He was also fouled for a penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzZ31cU1b2U

Awoniyi is an upgrade of Umar
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 5:59am On Apr 09, 2018
bengine:

Awoniyi is not better than Umar ooo..I use to be a big fan of Awoniyi but the reality is Umar is better than him..Awoniyi might be in form but he is not in the class of Umar except he drastically improves..

Umar is better in what aspect? be objective
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:59am On Apr 09, 2018
Martz101:

Awoniyi is an upgrade of Umar

Umar at this point is better but Awoniyi is coming up nicely
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:05am On Apr 09, 2018
Martz101:

Ogu that barely play games for Gwg? when last did you watch our games, Ogu played the last 4 matches and started 2 of those

Ehen!....what did I say,I said barely,na English I talk na,we re still saying d same thing grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:08am On Apr 09, 2018
bengine:

I hope you know Awoniyi and Junior Ajayi were the top strikers b4 the Olympics for the U23...Awoniyi was dropped from the squad because of umar, Ajayi also lost his starting spot to Umar...

Bro you have been watching football for a while, by now you should be able to identify and dinstiguish serious talent..sometimes a player could be a late boomer and outdo his mate in the future...based on watching awoniyi and Sadiq, I can tell you sadiq is better quality to Awoniyi...I followed Awoniyi through the u17 days to the u20 and I was his fan boy...I was even initially angry that siasia would drop awoniyi in that Olympic team..it was when the tournament started i just had to accept Sadiq was better ..

Well time would tell as both their professional career unfolds..I really do have high expectations for both of them..

Using only that yardstick is very wrong, A coach can drop anybody
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:09am On Apr 09, 2018
I really hope Rohr can stay after AFCON 2019, and potentially until WC 2022. He has really transformed our gameplay and has laid the foundation bfornthe future talents in SE. What people tend to forget is that having great team also requires having a stable and consistent coaching and backroom staff.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:16am On Apr 09, 2018
elyte89:

Ehen!....what did I say,I said barely,na English I talk na,we re still saying d same thing grin

So you really didn't understand what I wrote, he played the last 4 matches and even started 2 and you say he rarely play...do you know the meaning of rarely? ask Agbo he will explain to you better
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:29am On Apr 09, 2018
tbaba1234:

Umar at this point is better but Awoniyi is coming up nicely

Can you give me reasons why Umar is better, 1.awoniyi already have double digit goals this season.
2. Awoniyi is better on air
3. more first team appearance= more exposure
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:57am On Apr 09, 2018
Martz101:

Can you give me reasons why Umar is better, 1.awoniyi already have double digit goals this season.
Umar vs Awoniyi debate loading,i know this w come up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:02am On Apr 09, 2018
bengine:

Awoniyi is not better than Umar ooo..I use to be a big fan of Awoniyi but the reality is Umar is better than him..Awoniyi might be in form but he is not in the class of Umar except he drastically improves..
Awoniyi not in class of Umar?pls what class are you talking about,Umar is good but i think both belongs to the same class of upcoming strikers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 7:06am On Apr 09, 2018
Martz101:

You are the one saying thier yardstick to comparing them both is flawed but yours is worse!
You should not judge quality based on how many matches played some players are naturally gifted. Willian had played alot of matches won trophies but if they tell you to choose between him and Asensio who I'm not sure has racked his 50app who would you choose? There is levels to this game. I love them both but cmon don't you k
1. umar is better than awoniyi on the air not just because he's taller but It's a proven strong point of umar amoury, his first serial a game for Roma at age 19 was a nice well placed header, the coach who gave him his break in the first team got sacked and since then he went on loan to bologna where injuries and lack of play time saw his game stall. The seria a is not a league for youngsters it's more experienced players. He had a wonderful preseason at Roma and was sent to be the second striker to Italy's first choice striker, he had limited game time but he still played but did not score, now he's in the edisevere where awoniyi actually struggled.
2. Umar is more direct, more skillful, more unpredictable and faster.
3. Awoniyi is the better team player and works his socks off for the team. Both of them are good at hold up plays.
I want you to watch these two players without sentiment, if you are a real football lover it's not hard to identify who the better talent is.
As regards to umar lack of game time, he has played in an Olympic competition against the very bests in the world as the top striker for us, scored and won a bronze medal trust me that exposure and experience has improved him drastically. He has 4goals and 3assits in 8games where he didn't start all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:12am On Apr 09, 2018
bengine:

I hope you know Awoniyi and Junior Ajayi were the top strikers b4 the Olympics for the U23...Awoniyi was dropped from the squad because of umar, Ajayi also lost his starting spot to Umar...

Bro you have been watching football for a while, by now you should be able to identify and dinstiguish serious talent..sometimes a player could be a late boomer and outdo his mate in the future...based on watching awoniyi and Sadiq, I can tell you sadiq is better quality to Awoniyi...I followed Awoniyi through the u17 days to the u20 and I was his fan boy...I was even initially angry that siasia would drop awoniyi in that Olympic team..it was when the tournament started i just had to accept Sadiq was better ..

Well time would tell as both their professional career unfolds..I really do have high expectations for both of them..

Chairman pls forget U 23 stuff,pls don't let me open up here cos i know why Awoniyi was dropped just like the way Emma Babayaro was dropped to the bench for Dosu Joseph but for the respect i have for our coaches let's just keep quiet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:18am On Apr 09, 2018
Loogan:

You are the one saying thier yardstick to comparing them both is flawed but yours is worse!
You should not judge quality based on how many matches played some players are naturally gifted. Willian had played alot of matches won trophies but if they tell you to choose between him and Asensio who I'm not sure has racked his 50app who would you choose? There is levels to this game. I love them both but cmon don't you k
1. umar is better than awoniyi on the air not just because he's taller but It's a proven strong point of umar amoury, his first serial a game for Roma at age 19 was a nice well placed header, the coach who gave him his break in the first team got sacked and since then he went on loan to bologna where injuries and lack of play time saw his game stall. The seria a is not a league for youngsters it's more experienced players. He had a wonderful preseason at Roma and was sent to be the second striker to Italy's first choice striker, he had limited game time but he still played but did not score, now he's in the edisevere where awoniyi actually struggled.
2. Umar is more direct, more skillful, more unpredictable and faster.
3. Awoniyi is the better team player and works his socks off for the team. Both of them are good at hold up plays.
I want you to watch these two players without sentiment, if you are a real football lover it's not hard to identify who the better talent is.
As regards to umar lack of game time, he has played in an Olympic competition against the very bests in the world as the top striker for us, scored and won a bronze medal trust me that exposure and experience has improved him drastically. He has 4goals and 3assits in 8games where he didn't start all
Yes Awoniyi struggled in dutch league and Umar is doing well but did you know Dessers had 25 appearance without a goal for Lokeren in the same Belgium league Awoniyi is making headlines,so sometimes not a yardstick to rate player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:31am On Apr 09, 2018
forgiveness:

I know Lukaku in Belgium before he came to Chelsea. He already made name for himself and when he played I knew he was good but Salah was nobody when he came to Chelsea.

Salah was out of place when he played for Chelsea. Not Impressive

SAlah was not a nobody so to to speak when Chelsea got him from Basel. I believe Chelsea got him from the Swiss club after he ran rings round their defenders in the Champions League, he scored 3 times against them I recall.

Also prior to his signing, he was already an important member of the Egyptian national team with 14 goals in 17 games. He was indeed one of the rising stars in world football that's why Chelsea paid £12M for him not £1M. Also they saw him as a replacement for Juan Mata.
I saw him play for Basel in the champions league and I must say, I enjoyed his game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 7:40am On Apr 09, 2018
Kog45:
Yes Awoniyi struggled in dutch league and Umar is doing well but did you know Dessers had 25 appearance without a goal for Lokeren in the same Belgium league Awoniyi is making headlines,so sometimes not a yardstick to rate player.
It's not like awoniyi is tearing the league apart let's not overhype him he has 7goals 5assists in 27 games, has 10goals 7assists in 31gmaes in all competition, onyekuru has been on injury since forever and still has 10 goals
Umar 8app 4goals 3assits needs just 3more goals to equal awoniyis league goals.
The Dutch league might be weak but he has faced Ajax, feernood and was impressive.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:05am On Apr 09, 2018
Loogan:

It's not like awoniyi is tearing the league apart let's not overhype him he has 7goals 5assists in 27 games, has 10goals 7assists in 31gmaes in all competition, onyekuru has been on injury since forever and still has 10 goals
Umar 8app 4goals 3assits needs just 3more goals to equal awoniyis league goals.
The Dutch league might be weak but he has faced Ajax, feernood and was impressive.
My man,pls try to get my point,am not saying Awoniyi is better or hyping him but they belong to the same class cos how on earth will someone be saying Awoniyi need to work drastically to meet up with Umar,or not the same Umar that left seria A to dutch league in January.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:21am On Apr 09, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The team B is not the CHAN Super Eagles but a group of players who are close to be part of the main Super Eagles. Also those dropped who could have made the team. Also most likely those who have a big shot of making the next Olympics team.

SUPER EAGLES B/OLYMPIC MEN TEAMSalisu Yusuf (Head Coach); Imama Amapakabo; Kennedy Boboye; Fidelis Ilechukwu; Alloy Agu (Goalkeepers’ Trainer)

The NFF listed the above as the coaches for the team B although I still have some disagreement with the arrangement.

However, the team should promote competition for the current squad, a room to test likely candidates for the Super Eagles with less risk and also integrating potentials who are distant to the culture of the team.

The Nations Cup qualifiers starts after the World Cup. This should be a chance to prepare those who would challenge for places now.

Players like Alampasu could have been tested during this break.

Ow! I see.

Something may actually be in the pipeline for this but nothing made public yet.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:24am On Apr 09, 2018
Icon4s:

Ow! I see.

Something may actually be in the pipeline for this but nothing made public yet.

Sir do you think anything is in the pipeline.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:29am On Apr 09, 2018
Kog45:
Sir do you think anything is in the pipeline.

Yeah.

2019 All African games qualifiers will commence later this year. Shortlisting of players would have commenced already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:36am On Apr 09, 2018
Mujtahida:

Playing Iwobi from the wings is just wasting his talents.

Iwobi in the absence of Mikel is our best Central Attacking Midfield option.

He is heir apparent to Mikel IMO.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:48am On Apr 09, 2018
goldfish80:

SAlah was not a nobody so to to speak when Chelsea got him from Basel. I believe Chelsea got him from the Swiss club after he ran rings round their defenders in the Champions League, he scored 3 times against them I recall.

Also prior to his signing, he was already an important member of the Egyptian national team with 14 goals in 17 games. He was indeed one of the rising stars in world football that's why Chelsea paid £12M for him not £1M. Also they saw him as a replacement for Juan Mata.
I saw him play for Basel in the champions league and I must say, I enjoyed his game.

I spoke as a Chelsea fan. He was nobody when he came to Chelsea. He was no Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar etc.. Just so so player.

His case is not different from Williams who was bought from Shakhtar Donetsk after he shined against Chelsea. Can we say Williams was somebody before he came to Chelsea?

Maybe to some extent but the way people are portraying Salah before he was bought by Chelsea and his first season in EPL is not the truth.

Victor Moses was far better than him then. That is my point.

Moses to me is not yet polished. If he meets Liverpool, Athletico Madrid's coach, or Guardiola, he could be better than Salah.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:53am On Apr 09, 2018
Mujtahida:

I talk am ooo
my brother, leave all these people wey sabi pass Rohr.

Anybody that could not see why Ebuehi played 90 minutes, even though he wasn't 100% fit, has not been paying attention to the coach

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:55am On Apr 09, 2018
elyte89:

Ogu has racked up more minutes on the pitch than Etebo in the last year for GwG

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:08am On Apr 09, 2018
Icon4s:

Yeah.

2019 All African games qualifiers will commence later this year. Shortlisting of players would have commenced already.
Ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:12am On Apr 09, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The team B is not the CHAN Super Eagles but a group of players who are close to be part of the main Super Eagles. Also those dropped who could have made the team. Also most likely those who have a big shot of making the next Olympics team.

SUPER EAGLES B/OLYMPIC MEN TEAMSalisu Yusuf (Head Coach); Imama Amapakabo; Kennedy Boboye; Fidelis Ilechukwu; Alloy Agu (Goalkeepers’ Trainer)

The NFF listed the above as the coaches for the team B although I still have some disagreement with the arrangement.

However, the team should promote competition for the current squad, a room to test likely candidates for the Super Eagles with less risk and also integrating potentials who are distant to the culture of the team.

The Nations Cup qualifiers starts after the World Cup. This should be a chance to prepare those who would challenge for places now.

Players like Alampasu could have been tested during this break.

On another read of your comment. The Team "B" being referred to here is the Home Based Eagles Team. Salisu doubles as the coach of the home based Eagles and Olympics Team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:19am On Apr 09, 2018
All players that had a bad career at Emirates talked of how winger restricted their flow to the positions he disciplined them too.

He was doing that to Ramsey and then when Barça came for him way back and gave some analysis on his game style, PA winger got afraid, and gave Ramsey a free role which has been helping him and the team so far...

Yet PA is afraid, and the fear is the fear of the backline, he feels if he allows more freedom to some players, it would backfire. so risk taking is minimal.

Iwobi is a player that need such free role in the team.

Never has his teammates used to his strength. He looks just like one part ofbthe team that they can do without, which is not good. They understand Mineral going front than Iwobi on the wings@teammates. Dunno why Ozil don't wanna have fun and swap with him to just tweak things a Lil.

Fans know this, but don't want to admit this fact.

Glad he will outlive this team....he has age on his side...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:43am On Apr 09, 2018
forgiveness:

I spoke as a Chelsea fan. He was nobody when he came to Chelsea. He was no Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar etc.. Just so so player.

His case is not different from Williams who was bought from Shakhtar Donetsk after he shined against Chelsea. Can we say Williams was somebody before he came to Chelsea?

Maybe to some extent but the way people are portraying Salah before he was bought by Chelsea and his first season in EPL is not the true.

Victor Moses was far better than him then. That is my point.

Moses to me is not yet polished. If he meets Liverpool, Athletico Madrid's coach, or Guardiola, he could be better than Salah.

I think you should define what you mean by calling someone a "nobody" because the William you mentioned was well known in Europe while at Shaktar Donesk.
William, Douglas costa and Fernandinho were part of the Shaktar team that dominated the Europa cup and caused lots of upsets in the champions league, William was not an unknown when Chelsea got him.

Salah was an upcoming 21-year-old who was earning good reviews around Europe. He was a highly sort after by various clubs at the time thats why he cost Chelsea 12 million.

Moses have worked with many top class coaches in his career including Rogers, Mourinho, Martinez and Conte. If it will take only Simione, Guardiola and Klopp to get the best from him, then maybe he is not that good after all.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3285) (3286) (3287) (3288) (3289) (3290) (3291) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.