Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,447 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3392) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11709016 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3389) (3390) (3391) (3392) (3393) (3394) (3395) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 8:21pm On Apr 22, 2018
Icon4s:

Haha, Aina too will warm bench naa.

That and a goalkeeper slot are the only 2 available for grabs from the 23 IMO.

The attitude of Echiejile and Aina in camp will determine a lot of things. And also very importantly, Rohr has the final say.
Good their attitude in camp will decides but check it out Aina 44 matches and Echiejile 7 matches this season.

As at last friendlies Echiejile was behind,Ebuehi came in for Shehu and Aina came in for Idowu,this shows that Echiejile need to work very hard to make the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
Bolowolowo:
At this point in time, it may help Iwobi to go on loan in a lesser league of some sorts. Wenger has given this kid so many opportunities to prove himself but he has consistently failed to deliver. I fear that new management will relegate him to the bench.

If you must know the truth a lesser league can particularly in England destroy a player that does not have the mentality and attributes to contend in that league,

Imagine Iwobi in the championship with his current work rate, lack of physicality, sheer grit and doggedness required to succeed. It will not be a good fit.

However, going to the Bundesliga, Seria A and or La Liga, may work a lot better where his attributes of skill and technicality will be better appreciated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
Danielnino00:

TBH,I'm beginning to agree with the motion that Aina may miss the WC squad.. he hasn't been convincing in the few games he has played under Rohr.. even Idowu hasn't done anything special, but he is better defensively than Aina...

Idowu was very solid against Argentina and Serbia.

I will certainly take Aina over Elderson.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2018
komekn:

Brighton and Bournemouth are two teams I know very very well, I mean that i know the recruitment staff as well.

One of the essential ingredients about these teams is that they are very hardworking and require little flattery and more end product. That's the reason Ibe struggled at Bournemouth initially and is only now finding his feet. Iwobi is not a hard working player, skilful , with a good amount of trickery but hard work, physicality and grit, no that is not him. He will not find it easy and they will not consider him.

The true test of a player is when he has to fight to make his own way in a team without the luxury of quality support.

I don't doubt you ,I don't mean those team will go for him I am just trying to make example of the lesser team nothing much.

Mind you iwobi has better stats than ibe when Ibe is at Liverpool and they both play from the flank,ibe did not end up in a lesser league

Me and you know iwobi will have no problem in getting a premier league club even if it's a relegated fighting team

Common bros not a championship team,nobody should tell me a lesser league for crying out loud
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:25pm On Apr 22, 2018
komekn:

If you must know the truth a lesser league can particularly in England destroy a player that does not have the mentality and attributes to contend in that league,

Imagine Iwobi in the championship with his current work rate, lack of physicality, sheer grit and doggedness required to succeed. It will not be a good fit.

However, going to the Bundesliga, Seria A and or La Liga, may work a lot better where his attributes of skill and technicality will be better appreciated.

Thank you for this but sorry seria A and laliga is not a lesser league,English players always dodge this league when even given a loan opportunity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:26pm On Apr 22, 2018
Truidstar:

When I think back to the dark days when we did not have players in top leagues. Used to envy Ghana, Ivory coast and Mali then. Now we have players popping up every where. The future is indeed bright.

i do not know what you are talking about in terms of dark days. As it stands these are the dar days the majority of our players are playing in the back water leagues of Europe.

Compare this to when our player 1996-2002 where playing in the creme de la creme of Europe.

You really have no idea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 8:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
tbaba1234:

Idowu was very solid against Argentina and Serbia.

I will certainly take Aina over Elderson.

Every super eagles fan will take Aina over Echijele... but if Aina fails to perform better on camp,I'm afraid Rohr might pick Echijele due to his "experience"
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:31pm On Apr 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
He could be loaned to a Championship club, bro. Its very possible. Iwobi has been very inconsistent at Arsenal despite the magnitude of patience and opportunities from Wenger.

Looking at Iwbobi's game i think he will struggle in the championship the intensity and physicality as well as the loss of quality passing and interchanges will not help his game.

Unless he goes to the top footballing sides in the championship and i mean Fulham, maybe 1 or 2 others, it will not be easy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 8:33pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kog45:
Those who watched both Okocha and Ogunlana would tell you Ogunlana was naturally gifted when it comes to free kick,imagine having a player who score at least 6 goals through free kick every season.

As i said i give it to Okocha in national team but club football it's Ayo Ogunlana

you re right .... but that Okocha free kick against man united was superb , he scored twice in different position , i think he has some level of accuracy in his feet .

Ayo Ogunlana and Dahiru Sadi were players that can never be forgotten easily in the Nigerian league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 8:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
andrew444:

Thank you for this but sorry seria A and laliga is not a lesser league,English players always dodge this league when even given a loan opportunity.

i did not say Seria A, La Liga and Bundesliga are lesser thats not the debate. Rather those leagues are a better for Iwobi than going to a less technical team in the EPL or going to a championship side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
tbaba1234:
Musa's brace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBO9hkv4_Jk
this guy should just remain in Russia... no need returning to Leicester..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 8:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
komekn:

i did not say Seria A, La Liga and Bundesliga are lesser thats not the debate. Rather those leagues are a better for Iwobi than going to a less technical team in the EPL or going to a championship side.

Laliga will be better

But I don't see anything bad in iwobi arsenal wenger believe in him who are we ? He is not bad as people think in this thread,if iwobi is England he would have gotten about 2 caps for the English team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:50pm On Apr 22, 2018
tbaba1234:

It is more than enough... If he can not meet the standard of Belgium second division, it shows that there isn't much left.

Haha, Rohr may not think so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:51pm On Apr 22, 2018
Joebie:
this is why we need not only young candidates for the next presidential election, but also innovative, forward thinking personalities.

the major problem we have in these country...is that those Nigerians who live down south are ignorant of the fact...that the north especially core north play a major role in nigeria political destiny....

many folks here are barely educated...and could cast their vote in line wit religious sentiments...as they're been spurred by imams...and mallams...

forget it....Nigeria can never elect a leader of such qualities you described above...because many here in the north will rather vote vote buhari's picture than vote such a fellow....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:54pm On Apr 22, 2018
komekn:

i do not know what you are talking about in terms of dark days. As it stands these are the dar days the majority of our players are playing in the back water leagues of Europe.

Compare this to when our player 1996-2002 where playing in the creme de la creme of Europe.

You really have no idea.

Oga, he is right and was actually referring to like 2008 to 2014.

He may have been too young to have followed football in that era you mentioned.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:56pm On Apr 22, 2018
lexyman:

you re right .... but that Okocha free kick against man united was superb , he scored twice in different position , i think he has some level of accuracy in his feet .

Ayo Ogunlana and Dahiru Sadi were players that can never be forgotten easily in the Nigerian league

What of Okocha's free kick against Cameroon at the 2004 AFCON?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
lexyman:

Dahiru Sadi,what a good player
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2018
Kog45:
Ayo Ogunlana played for old Ranchers bees of Kaduna coached by Argentine named Dominiques and later moved to Leventus United.

He was member of Afcon 1990 team in Algeria.He was well known for his free kicks and arguably the best in Nigeria football history.

CC:Icon4s,goldfish80,enomakos
not sure about leaving ranchers bees for leventis because leventis utd and abiola babes were disbanded in 1988..as at 1989 ayo ogunlana was still with ranchers bees(along with dahiru sadi,tajudeen oyekanmi,adamu jeje,abubakar balarabe and Daniel amokachi)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
elyte89:

Even though I don't like coming into nacho argument because of d obvious reason, but in dis case,let me chip in something,from ur last statement,I doubt if any player on earth don't knw aw to DRIBBLE!,so definitely Iheanacho can dribble too,even G.k dribble players too,we av seen so many examples like dt,where gk would dribble player when he rushes out to clear d ball,but d question now is from IHEANACHO STYLE OF PLAY,can his dribbling skills be compared to d likes of ROBINHO,ZIDANE,OKOCHA,NEYMAR,RONALDO DELIMA,WHOM ARE KNOWN FOR HAVING GREAT DRIBBLING SKILLS?

They are known for great dribbling skills because they rely on dribbling players to cause damage. It is their style of play. Nacho's style of play does not rely on pulling off tricks. That does not mean his ability to dribble is poor.

The point is too simple and what you wrote up there does not contradict my point. So I wonder what point you are trying to make. How many young players today have the kind of abilities of the names above? Does that mean they have poor dribbling abilities?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:11pm On Apr 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
The issue is of the present and not in the past.

When we talk of dribblers, we're talking about players who are known for exhibiting it and displacing their opponents with it at a frequent rate. They are usually very confident and adventurous and enterprising with the ball.

Got it? So Iheanacho doesn't fall in thus category. Players Like Jay jay, Ronaldinho, Robben, Mess I, V.Moses, Neymar etc

The point is too simple. Iheanancho is not known to be Robben alias Messi wannabe because he does not rely on dribbling to cause damage. Very simple. That does not mean he lacks the ability.

What you are writing up there does not contradict my point.

Finito.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2018
Icon4s:

What of Okocha's free kick against Cameroon at the 2004 AFCON?

bros .... all those freekick dey always give some kind Nostalgia grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:13pm On Apr 22, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

They are known for great dribbling skills because they rely on dribbling players to cause damage. It is their style of play. Nacho's style of play does not need rely on pulling off tricks. That does not mean his ability to dribble is poor.

The point is too simple and what you wrote up there does not contradict. My point. So I wonder what point you are trying to make. How many young players today have the kind of abilities of the name above? Does that mean they have poor dribbling abilities?

OK,u av cleared air.his dribbling skill is OK. cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
lexyman:

bros .... all those freekick dey always give some kind Nostalgia grin grin grin

I saw that Okocha Vs Cameroon game of 2004. And I replayed that free-kick like 5-6 times, shouting each time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
What do you mean Iheanacho has abundant dribbling ability but he does not rely on them?
Which player would have such a deadly ability and not utilize it?
How is that even possible.

Oga, you don't know what you're saying.

Kevin De Bruyne shocked me in the game against Tottenham recently and I marvelled at his ability with the ball. It was like he came to school Moussa Dembele on how to dribble. However, you do not find De Bruyne brandishing skills at every opportunity he gets. CR7 had his reliance on dribbling cut down by Sir, Alex Ferguson. So players can have the ability and not rely on them.

Finito.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:27pm On Apr 22, 2018
komekn:

You really have no idea.

My advice to you is please before you respond to any comment on this thread PLEASE PUT YOUR BRAIN IN GEAR FIRST. What I expected you to ask me is which period I was referring to. I was referring to the 2004-2010 period when the Essiens, Drogbas, Toures, Muntaris and Keitas reigned. Can you please remind me in case I have forgotten between 1996-2002 the creme dey LA creme players you are referring to.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:32pm On Apr 22, 2018
Truidstar:

My advice to you is please before you respond to any comment on this thread PLEASE PUT YOUR BRAIN IN GEAR FIRST. What I expected you to ask me is which period I was referring to. I was referring to the 2004-2010 period when the Essiens, Drogbas, Toures, Muntaris and Keitas reigned. Can you please remind me in case I have forgotten between 1996-2002 the creme dey LA creme players you are referring to.

No need for the first line with harsh tone.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:32pm On Apr 22, 2018
Icon4s:

I saw that Okocha Vs Cameroon game of 2004. And I replayed that free-kick like 5-6 times, shouting each time.

just finished watching it .... stepped it down with the testimonial match . that guy is too skilful to quit football so early . like today's football requires lesser dribbling skills ...too much tactics and robotic kind of play has killed some fun in the game .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 9:36pm On Apr 22, 2018
lexyman:

just finished watching it .... stepped it down with the testimonial match . that guy is too skilful to quit football so early . like today's football requires lesser dribbling skills ...too much tactics and robotic kind of play has killed some fun in the game .
football of the 80s and 90s was more of skill and techniques while football of now is more of pace and power

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 9:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
asha80:
football of the 80s and 90s was more of skill and techniques while football of now is more of pace and power

pace ,power and tactics {park the bus and tikitaka)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
komekn:

Looking at Iwbobi's game i think he will struggle in the championship the intensity and physicality as well as the loss of quality passing and interchanges will not help his game.

Unless he goes to the top footballing sides in the championship and i mean Fulham, maybe 1 or 2 others, it will not be easy.
His future is become bleak football wise with his dismal performances.

He really needs to work on himself ASAP because the time is approaching when Wenger won't be there for him any longer.
His future is at stake.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:46pm On Apr 22, 2018
forgiveness:

Simon-Moses Kelechi Iheanacho Chidozie Awaziem Etebor Oghene
Awaziem?? because of just one good freekick? taa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:51pm On Apr 22, 2018
forgiveness:

We didn't dodge any bullet because from what I have seen so far from his games, he is a very good striker.

Just watch him closely.
Watch him closely ke? is it not the same Tammy I watch? Come on, bro

Cant remember when last he even scored.
He doesn't even deserve our bench

Someone that was promised an automatic place in our World Cup Squad.. chai!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (3389) (3390) (3391) (3392) (3393) (3394) (3395) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: chrisooblog, zicky(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.