Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,986 members, 7,810,749 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (375) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11598583 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (16122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:38am On Dec 06, 2016
Arsenal Iwobi Speaks On Why Man City
Iheanacho Is His Roommate In The Nigeria National Team

Arsenal teen forward Alex Iwobi has for the first
time revealed why Manchester City ace Kelechi
Iheanacho is his favourite roommate in the camp of the Nigeria national team.

The duo are very close off the pitch and their
relationship has also affected their performance
as a pair on the pitch, as they have found each
other more with passes than any other
combination in the last two games of the team.

Their relationship has even been used as a
yardstick by coach Gernot Rohr to gauge how
close he wants the players to be bonded off the
pitch, while on international assignment.

Iwobi lifted the lid in an interview by saying the
hilarious nature of the Man City star is part of the reason, why he is his favourite roommate in the Nigeria national team.

“He’s always entertaining and making people
laugh. He is down-to-earth as well, so I love
rooming with him,” Alex says.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/06/9909/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:43am On Dec 06, 2016
Sir Tbaba1234/Tbaba12345 once shared details of the connection between David Nwokolor and Dele Alkampasu from their Abuja Football Academy and national U-17 days with Nigeria. Well, this is akin to the exclusive he dropped several pages back.... smiley

REVEALED – How Latest Super Eagles Goalkeeper Invitee Nwokolor Helped Alampasu Make U-17 Team In 2013

Super Eagles latest invitee David Nwokolor is not entirely new to the national team set up of
Nigeria, Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively
reveal.

In 2013 after returning from a tournament in
Korea with Football Academy Abuja, Nwokolor was invited to join the Nigeria U-17 team who were in desperate need for a goalkeeper.

Coach of the team Manu Garba asked Football
Academy Abuja to recommend one of their
goalkeepers to him, and Nwokolor who was first
choice was recommended to the coaches.

Nwokolor arrived at the training pitch of the team in company of a younger goalkeeper in Dele Alampasu who was second fiddle to the Vitez of Bosnia shot stopper back then.

However, coach Manu complained of Nwokolor’s
size and expressed reservation that the six foot
shot stopper will struggle to pass the mandatory
MRI test for U-17s.

A shocked and dejected Nwokolor bravely turned to Alampasu and gave him his gloves to take his position between the sticks, and the CD Feirense shot stopper immediately found favours with the coaches.

Barring any last minute hitch, both players will
once again reunite at the national team camp,
when the Super Eagles converge for one of the
three friendly games lined up for the team.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/06/revealed-how-latest-super-eagles-goalkepper-invitee-nwokolor-helped-alampasu-make-u-17-team-in-2013/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:44am On Dec 06, 2016
Eduok, Moses shine in Europe

by Sammy Wejinya 05 December 2016, 20:10

It was yet another sparkling weekend for Nigerian footballers abroad as the leagues begin to take shape across the Old Continent.

Victor Moses continues to lay down the marker in England with Chelsea while Emem Eduok finally got off the mark in Turkey.

On a weekend which saw Nigerian stars prove their worth yet again, supersport.com now rounds up the best of the action.

ENGLAND (PREMIER LEAGUE)

Chelsea have now moved three points clear at the top of the standings and Victor Moses has played a big part in the barnstorming run put together by Antonio Conte’s men.

The Nigerian international has made the right flank his own with marauding, lung-bursting runs laced with electrifying dribbling and decisive finishing.

Three days ago, he was named the league’s best performer by fans for the month of November and he capped a fine week with another solid display as the Chelsea dismissed Manchester City 3-1 in the weekend’s big game at the Etihad Stadium.

Kelechi Iheanacho made a second-half cameo in the feisty game but could well get a decent run in the side in the coming days following the straight red card issued to City’s main striker, Sergio Aguero, for his shocking tackle on David Luiz.

Ahmed Musa is yet to hit the heights at champions Leicester City.

The former CSKA Moscow man played for 17 minutes but was powerless to stop the Foxes going down 1-2 to Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

It has been a hugely disappointing season for Odion Ighalo at Watford.

He has since lost his place in the first team and on Saturday he was once more overlooked by the Hornets’ Italian trainer, Walter Mazzarri, in the 1-3 defeat to West Bromwich Albion at The Hawthorns.

Ighalo was drafted in for the Chilean Camilo Zúñiga as a 77th-minute substitute in the defeat to the Baggies.

There was however happy news in the Watford camp from a Nigerian perspective as Success Isaac made a return from injury.

He was an unused substitute in the game at the Midlands.

Alex Iwobi has endured a difficult fortnight but his re-integration into the Arsenal first team continues, albeit at a slow pace.

He was an 88th minute replacement for Mesut Özil as the Gunners turned on the style to steamroll West Ham United 5-1 at the London Stadium.

GERMANY (BUNDESLIGA)

It is never an easy day in the office for anyone when the Bavarians, Bayern München, come to town in all their glory.

A fact Nigerian defender Leon Balogun was made to realise on Saturday as his Mainz side suffered a 3-1 beating at the hands of Carlo Ancelotti’s men.

Balogun played the entire game at the OPEL ARENA (Mainz), receiving a yellow card in the first minute of second-half stoppage time as Robert Lewandowski (brace) and Arjen Robben provided goalscoring contributions for the visitors.

ITALY (SERIE A)

Joel Obi was not listed for Torino in their 0-2 loss to Sampdoria at Stadio Comunale Luigi Ferraris.

SPAIN (PRIMERA DIVISION)

Uche Henry Agbo played for 77 minutes before he was replaced by Javi Márquez in Granada’s 2-1 victory over Sevilla at Estadio Nuevo Los Cármenes.

FRANCE (LIGUE 1)

Vincent Enyeama enjoyed a rare victory with Lille OSC as Les Douges won 1-0 against Girondins Bordeaux at Stade Matmut-Atlantique.

Enyeama, who was Lille’s most impressive performer in the game with a string of fine saves, has yet to miss a minute of any Ligue 1 game this season.

TURKEY (SUPER LIG)

Musa Mohammed’s torrid season with Istanbul Basaksehir continued at the weekend as he was overlooked yet again in the 2-2 draw with Antalyspor at Basaksehir Fatih Terim Stadyumu.

Mohammed has yet to play competitively for the shock leaders in the league this season.

Emmanuel Emenike played no part in the big game of the weekend involving Fenerbahçe and Besiktas at Ülker Stadyumu Fenerbahçe Sükrü Saracoglu Spor Kompleksi.

The big Nigerian forward was not listed in the contest which finished 0-0.

Kenneth Omeruo played the entire game for Alanyaspor in the 2-3 defeat to Konyaspor at Alanya Oba Stadyumu (Alanya).

Aminu Umar was drafted as a second-half substitute for Osmanlispor in the 2-1 victory over Karabükspor at Osmanli Stadi.

Emem Eduok has been enjoying a decent run for Kasimpasa and on Sunday he reaped rich personal rewards.

The attacker netted his first goal for Kasimpasa but it was not enough to secure maximum points for his side as they lost 1-2 to third-placed Galatasaray at Recep Tayyip Erdogan Stadyumu.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:47am On Dec 06, 2016

AUTOMATIC SHIRT FOR EBUEHI – ROHR

Dutch side ADO Den Haag defender, Tyronne
Ebuehi, has been told in clear terms by Nigeria’s
technical adviser, Gernot Rohr, that there is no
automatic shirt for him in the Super Eagles.

Although the parents of Ebuehi have assured that the player will honour the next call-up from
Nigeria, coach Rohr insists he must fight for his
shirt.

Ebuehi turned down the chance to be part of the Nigerian team that defeated Algeria 3-1 in the World Cup 2018 qualifiers, insisting on focusing on his club career with his Dutch side ADO Den Haag.

However, Rohr confirmed that he has received
assurances from the parents of the 20-year-old
that he will honour Nigeria’s call, the next time an invitation is extended to him.

“It’s true that his parents gave me assurances on his readiness to play for Nigeria, the next time he is called up. That doesn’t mean he will
automatically pick up a shirt” Rohr said.

“He will have to fight for the right back slot with
Wilfred Ndidi, Kenneth Omeruo and even Shehu
Abdullahi. They all did well in the games we have played even though it’s not their natural
position,” he said.

Source: http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/no-automatic-shirt-for-ebuehi-rohr/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:49am On Dec 06, 2016
goldfish80:

Nobody is talking about players relationship with agents who could be a family member.

We are taking about managers relationship with agents.

Imagine what happens if a manager chooses to buy players who are managed by his family members or close pals.

Due to conflict of interest and personal relationships, these deals are so negotiated that the manager and agents takes mark-up from the deal and a slice of the players wages.

Alot of shaddy deals are done behind the curtains by your favourite clubs and managers.

We all know things go on, even barca got into some trouble. There is always a risk that this might happen but that alone does not imply everyone is doing it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:51am On Dec 06, 2016
Arsenal Ace Iwobi Reveals – Super Eagles
Fans Are Always Asking Me For Money Unlike English Fans

20 year old Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi has given his opinion about the difference in mentality between fans of the Super Eagles and that of England.

The highly rated Arsenal man played for England at youth level before switching to Nigeria at senior international level, where he has grown into one of the key men of the Super Eagles.

Highly loved and appreciated by fans of Nigeria,
the nephew to former Super Eagles captain
Austin Okocha has however voiced his opinion on the nature of fans of Super Eagles.

“It was a difficult decision, but at the end of the
day I was born in Nigeria and my family is
Nigerian. Nigeria is where I feel most comfortable playing. I don’t regret it.

“I had already played for England and they treated me very well. It was hard for me to leave but I always felt that Nigeria was the national team for me.

“One thing I found with playing for Nigeria, is that the fans are always asking me for things, which is completely different from England, where people just ask you for a picture or an autograph.

“Here, everybody wants your football boots or your money…

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/06/arsenal-ace-iwobi-reveals-super-eagles-fans-are-always-asking-me-for-money-unlike-english-fans/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:52am On Dec 06, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
A first UCL start under Pep for Nacho? Hmmm.... Looking forward to it... smiley

More like prepping him up for the "stand-in" role he has to play yet again in the EPL.

The last time he stood in, he was marvellous. Scored in the manchester derby, Scored against Bournemouth, etc...

Seems Nacho get games when Aguero acts up..... Looollll #JustSaying

I always maintained that Pep didn't want to risk Iheanacho knowing that Aguero has never played all of his matches before. It just surprises me that he is missing due to red cards and not injuries.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:16pm On Dec 06, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah... Yeah... I understand. Exactly why you're not so excited about the rising generation's chances of making global impact.

The France '98 heartbreak is still fresh in your memory. I didn't watch France 98 live, I only read about it and got to watch videos and whole clips of it later.

I did tell you in my last response that indeed even the AFCON winning side of 2013 cannot be compared to or stand the Eagles AFCON squads of 2004 and 2006. Yet, the 2013 side did what those squads didn't... "Conquer Africa" smiley

Our new rising generation is still emerging. I'm not among those trying to compare our present squad with the squads of 1994, 1996 (Atlanta), 1998 (France), 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006.

I'm only saying this present squad can go on and outdo the squads of 2000-2006. The 2013 Squad already did. smiley

And they can also go on to match or even surpass the Glorious Squads of '94, '96 and '98.

I know you've seen it all Sir Icon4s and know what you're talking about. You have every right to be skeptical about our rising crop because of that France 98 super heartbreak..... grin

But I also know what I'm talking about. You gotta try fix that heart of yours again and believe with me... wink

You na arch-guardian of the halls of experience... Me na one of the little guardians of the indomie generation (NOTE: I no follow talk that thing about Okwaraji ooo... Loolll) wink

Truth is we have a looooooooonnnnnnngggg way to go before our current Eagles can match the class of the 2004 and 2006 Squads and take it up to or beyond the class of the '94, '96 and '98 squads.

BOTTOMLINE IS: I see the great and limitless potentials in this team just like you saw with the France '98 team which ended up failing woefully.... BUUUTTTTT A different story is about to be scripted... A story far removed from failure and away from the path of the France '98 squad

I have a dream..... smiley

We will be watching and be observing together. May God keep us all alive. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 12:17pm On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

My Dad also stopped following the Super Eagles after that game.

I lost appetite that night, I could sleep. I was just wondering what would have happened that we lost the match.... Very sad day.

Though I so much believe in super eagles until we played world cup qualifier 2-2 goalless draw against tunisia prior to 2010 WC. My hrt sank. It seems I have lost everything in life. Snc that day I stopped putting everything on SE.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:19pm On Dec 06, 2016
soetanoreoluwa:

I lost appetite that night, I could sleep. I was just wondering what would have happened that we lost the match.... Very sad day.

Though I so much believe in super eagles until we played world cup qualifier 2-2 goalless draw against tunisia prior to 2010 WC. My hrt sank. It seems I have lost everything in life. Snc that day I stopped putting everything on SE.

Sorry about that.

TheSuperNerd, u need to come share the new dream with this lad too. smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:25pm On Dec 06, 2016
"Iheanacho can fix City issues....." Sam Lee of Goal.com

Time for Nacho to show Pep what he's missing or in Sir TheGoodJoe's voice, "what's he learnt on the training ground so far".... #JustSaying sad

Also made mention of Nigerian prospect Tosin Adarabioyo..... smiley

FIVE ISSUES AT MAN CITY & FIVE PLAYERS
WHO COULD FIX THEM

Sam Lee

Pep Guardiola will have one or two things to ponder following his side's defeat against Chelsea, and he will have several players looking to help him out against Celtic

On the face of it, there is very little riding on
Tuesday night's Champions League game
between Manchester City and Celtic.

City are already through to the last 16 of the
competition as runners-up in their group,
meaning they cannot leap frog Barcelona into first place no matter what happens at the Etihad Stadium or elsewhere.

Celtic, similarly, are bottom of the group and
cannot claim a Europa League place even if they
can mastermind a victory.

It means Pep Guardiola will make a number of
changes to his line-up for the game, which may
not appeal to many neutrals deciding which
game to watch on TV.

But given recent events, particularly in the 3-1
defeat to Chelsea at the weekend, there is more
riding on this game for City than it may seem.

City certainly created enough chances to win the game and Guardiola is pleased with his team's performance, but his side's late red cards, if nothing else, will give him something to think about.

Here are five areas of concern and five players
who can do something about it - starting on
Tuesday.

GOALKEEPER JITTERS - WILLY CABALLERO

When things have gone wrong for City this
season, Claudio Bravo has often found himself in
the firing line. The Chilean gets more criticism
than he deserves - in some cases merely because he is not Joe Hart. The nerves felt when he has the ball at his feet stem more from the fact English football observers are not used to his style of goalkeeping than anything else, because his passing is by far the strongest area of his game and he very rarely gets it wrong.

But that said, there is a concern that he is a
contributing factor to City's lack of clean sheets.
Bravo could surely have done better for Chelsea's second goal on Saturday, and while there have not been any glaring handling errors that have led to goals since the wobble on his debut at Old Trafford, there is a feeling he isn't saving enough of the shots that come his way.

Caballero played against Barcelona in City's most recent European home clash and acquitted himself well. It goes to show how lowly Bravo is considered by some fans (again, sometimes unfairly) that Caballero would now be their preferred choice, given how uncertain the
Argentine has made supporters feel during his
time at the club.

Guardiola has often praised Bravo's ability to
shake off any mis-steps with his passing - given it plays such a huge part in City's gameplan - but with the Blues not scoring their chances, they will need to rely on somebody to keep the ball out of their own net. If Caballero demonstrates an improvement in his kicking and reading of the game, he could make a case for a more regular role.

DEFENSIVE FRAILTY - TOSIN ADARABIOYO

Guardiola does not make a distinction between
defending and attacking but what is clear to see
is that his attackers are better players than his
defenders. The Catalan wanted to shake up the
full-back position and sign two centre-backs
during the summer but only ended up with one
new centre-back, meaning he is keeping his eye
on the transfer market.

Vincent Kompany's persisent injury problems
mean Guardiola has been robbed of one option for most of the season, while Nicolas Otamendi has struggled in many games.

Aleksandar Kolarov has been the full-back most
called upon when Guardiola has switched to a
back three but he has been poor on several
occasions, and his lack of pace was exposed
against Chelsea in particular. There are also no
plans to keep Pablo Zabaleta, Gael Clichy and
Bacary Sagna beyond the end of their contracts
this summer.

So talk has now turned to City signing a defender in January but club officials had ruled out that possibility as recently as the end of November.

That may have changed given Kompany's latest
injury but one man who could establish himself
over the next six or seven months is Tosin
Adarabioyo.

The 19-year-old is training with the senior squad on a full-time basis but has only played 30 minutes of first-team football this season, and that was against Steaua Bucharest in the
Champions League play-off second leg.

With City light on defensive options, and light on potential reinforcements in January, Adarabioyo could get a chance to show what he can do.

Tuesday night could provide a great starting
point.

FERNANDINHO'S BAN & TOURE'S ARREST -
FERNANDO

Fernandinho has been a key member of
Guardiola's City project but he will miss the next
four games (one in Europe, three in the Premier
League), meaning somebody will be needed to
pull the strings in the middle.

Fernando has only tended to be selected when
City need a more robust presence in the midfield, and is by no means a shoe-in to replace his countryman. Ilkay Gundogan was signed to play in Fernandinho's position and could now be moved further back in midfield, opening up a more advanced role.

But with Yaya Toure not in contention for
European games, and due to appear in court on a drink-driving charge which will do little to impress Guardiola, Fernando can stake a claim for a place at the heart of City team in the coming weeks, with Gundogan deployed closer to the opposition goal.

LACK OF PACE ON WINGS - LEROY SANE

This is more of an individual issue than a
collective one. Sane has only shown brief flashes
of his ability since signing for City for an initial
£37 million this summer, but was selected to
start against Chelsea at the weekend.

He had a quiet start but grew into the match
and, after the break, almost created a second
goal for his side with a blistering run from inside
his own half. But he tired and was withdrawn well before the end.

Guardiola has come to rely on wingers in recent
years and Sane will be expected to play a much
bigger role in the coming months as he settles
into life in England.

The 20-year-old will surely start against Celtic on Tuesday and has a great opportunity to show off his talents in a low pressure environment.

AGUERO'S BAN - KELECHI IHEANACHO

Guardiola will need a replacement for Aguero,
who is ruled out until December 31 through
suspension. Iheanacho stood in for the Argentine earlier this season, scoring twice in three games, and looked right at home in the City attack.

But things appear a little different now, given the Nigerian has not featured as much as expected in recent weeks. Guardiola insisted at the start of the season that he would rotate Aguero in and out of the team in a bid to keep him injury free, but that has not really been the case.

Iheanacho has played just seven minutes in the
Champions League this season - during that run
when he filled in for Aguero in September, where he actually scored - and in the last five Premier League games he has played just 13 minutes.

Even with Aguero now out of the picture for the
next four domestic games, there is no certainty
that Iheanacho will be first choice replacement,
so a lot could ride on his performance against
Celtic.

And with Gabriel Jesus, the highly rated 19-year-old Brazil international, arriving in January,
Iheanacho will have even more competition very
soon.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4071/premier-league/2016/12/06/30210872/five-issues-at-man-city-five-players-who-could-fix-them

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:50pm On Dec 06, 2016
At your service Kind Sir..... smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

ohhh dear Sir Soetanoreoluwa.... cry sad sad

I understand you. Do you know I had previously never witnessed "live" The Super Eagles triumph in any big competition until AFCON 2013 came around? smiley

I endured years of waiting and heartbreaks just to see Nigeria's Super Eagles make the frontpage for something so glorious. Bouts of envy and keen admiration always accompanied my seeing other nations lift the AFCON and WC trophies.

Even the first Euro tournament I watched in 2000 when I was 8 saw me admire and drool over France so much as they had previously conquered the world in 1998 (didn't watch that one live).

I always asked, "When will the Super Eagles conquer Africa in my life-time?" sad

So many of you here were witnessing your second experience live with Nigeria as Champions in 2013 but me, that was my first. Tears came to my eyes that day.

I finally saw my question answered 13 years after I asked same in the year 2000.

Believe me, I have seen and met many reasons to give up on the Potentials of the Super Eagles but I just chose to keep believing strongly.

I always kept records and data of our players' progress to always remind me of our growing potentials and more.

So please believe with me..... Fix your heart and believe again. If my wish to see Nigeria conquer Africa in my life-time could be fulfilled 13 yrs after I watched my first AFCON in lagos, then what stop us seeing a period of total dominance for the next couple of years from AFCON 2019 till AFCON 2026 and beyond?.... And also witnessing our darling team break the round-of-16 hoodoo and reach the WC semis as Africa's first and just maybe also, stun the world by hitting the biggest bull's eye.... THE WORLD CUP TROPHY ITSELF.. ?

Yes it's a dream.... A dream that looks like mission impossible but cannot be overlooked all the same.

All I am saying is..... No crime in believing. Optimism never hurt anyone especially when there's enough reason to be optimistic.

We can achieve the highest. This is what this thread is all about... Yes, We can! wink

So stand with me..... And fly with the Eagles..... We have a bright future to make into a most beautiful reality.

It's "firstly" all about "Believe"........ Like the Great Manchester UTD class of 1999 sang, "IT'S ALL ABOUT BELIEVE"

Yes, we have much work to do... We need to re-structure our system and make things a little more organised... But it all starts with something... "BELIEF", a belief so strong it can level the mountains.... smiley

Icon4s:

Sorry about that.

TheSuperNerd, u need to come share the new dream with this lad too. smiley

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:55pm On Dec 06, 2016
We'll be alive Arch-guardian.... smiley

As we all, by that time, will be on a higher pedestal in our endeavors and more.... So also, shall our football's new rising stars be on top of the world continentally and globally also.....

Icon4s:

We will be watching and be observing together. May God keep us all alive. smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:56pm On Dec 06, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Yeah... Yeah... I understand. Exactly why you're not so excited about the rising generation's chances of making global impact.

The France '98 heartbreak is still fresh in your memory. I didn't watch France 98 live, I only read about it and got to watch videos and whole clips of it later.

I did tell you in my last response that indeed even the AFCON winning side of 2013 cannot be compared to or stand the Eagles AFCON squads of 2004 and 2006. Yet, the 2013 side did what those squads didn't... "Conquer Africa" smiley

Our new rising generation is still emerging. I'm not among those trying to compare our present squad with the squads of 1994, 1996 (Atlanta), 1998 (France), 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006.

I'm only saying this present squad can go on and outdo the squads of 2000-2006. The 2013 Squad already did. smiley

And they can also go on to match or even surpass the Glorious Squads of '94, '96 and '98.

I know you've seen it all Sir Icon4s and know what you're talking about. You have every right to be skeptical about our rising crop because of that France 98 super heartbreak..... grin

But I also know what I'm talking about. You gotta try fix that heart of yours again and believe with me... wink

You na arch-guardian of the halls of experience... Me na one of the little guardians of the indomie generation (NOTE: I no follow talk that thing about Okwaraji ooo... Loolll) wink

Truth is we have a looooooooonnnnnnngggg way to go before our current Eagles can match the class of the 2004 and 2006 Squads and take it up to or beyond the class of the '94, '96 and '98 squads.

BOTTOMLINE IS: I see the great and limitless potentials in this team just like you saw with the France '98 team which ended up failing woefully.... BUUUTTTTT A different story is about to be scripted... A story far removed from failure and away from the path of the France '98 squad

I have a dream..... smiley

Kudos for your good comment,forget IDOMIE GENERATION TAG,u guys are wonderful here,despite our experience am always happy opening this thread,not only i watch football,i played it small(school football)with player like ex polish international Emma Olisadebe,ex eagles seyi olofinjana,Dayo Ajoge and local star like Niyi Ogunlana,yomi Sanchez,yemi Akinyanju.

So football analyzing cannot be based on age or experience perse but on how knowledgeable in reading d games without sentiments and i can say on this thread have seen guys given us wonderful comments irrespective of their experiences.

Truly d new super eagles is emerging under Rohr with wonderful world cup qualifying campaign so far that has eclipsed any eagles in history based on two matches ratio so far which w hope it w be sustained,though comparing d team with any eagles in history is uncalled for but must be praised for going on faster rate,beating Zambia and Algeria was not an easy task for those who understand d game.

Sir ICON4 may be exercising fear of what happened to France 98 team due to his expectations,forgetting that the team missed two Afcon due to political indifference of late Sani Abacha.

A good football pundits then trace our bad performance to Afcon 96 missed and Atlanta 96 gold,forgetting it was an age tourney.The fussion of afcon 96 squad and Atlanta 96 should have eclipsed d 94 team in France 98.Some of us see it then there w be problem and it shows coz d euphoria of US94 and Atlanta 96 was d only ego of France 98 squad.

Likely the same thing is going to happen coz we ve missed afcon 2015 and going to miss 2017 and it's going to affect d team if proper plan is not in place,missing d afcon w affect d discovery of new players coz only friendly sometimes does not determine d strength of a player e.g.Ogbeche,Sodje

The technical dept of NFF and Rohr should work together and make sure what happened in France 98 does not repeat itself,hopefully w qualified.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:07pm On Dec 06, 2016
Hahahahahaha...... Ooooohhhhh la la .... smiley Even beyond our shores, all the way from the land of Xavi and Iniesta, the ripple effects of our new and young Super Eagles next golden generation is being felt.... smiley

On the previous threads, I did tell you all about an english journalist's confession prior to Chile 2015 U-17 WC. The world is slowly but surely starting to take notice....... wink

We are a new super force on the rise.... Let's stay focused...

Spanish Paper Predicts: Rohr & Mikel Will
Lead Nigeria Golden Generation To Glory In

The electronic version of authoritative Spanish
sports news site Spherasports.com has predicted that the Super Eagles of Nigeria will be the team to beat at the 2018 World Cup Russia.

Nigeria is presently leading group B of the CAF
World Cup qualifying series but Mota Juanan who writes for Spherasports believes not only will the Eagles qualify for the World Cup, he is tipping them to be a major hit in Russia.

He cited the array of talents at the disposal of
manager Gernot Rohr as well as the experience of John Obi Mikel when it comes to winning trophies, thanks to his trophy laden years at Chelsea.

Talents like Alex Iwobi, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Ahmed Musa, William Troost Ekong and Wilfred Ndidi were all cited as part of the reason why Nigeria will do well in Russia come 2018.

The piece also mentioned Kelechi Nwakali and
Victor Osimhen as two potentials who could
gatecrash Nigeria’s squad for the mundial in
Russia in two years time.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/06/spanish-paper-predicts-rohr-mikel-will-lead-nigeria-golden-generation-to-glory-in-2018/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:13pm On Dec 06, 2016

2018 World Cup: ‘Don’t Get Carried Away,’
Akpoborie Warns Nigerians

Former Super Eagles striker, Jonathan Akpoborie has called on Nigerians not to get carried away with the form of the team in the 2018 World Cup qualifying matches.

Nigeria tops group B with maximum points from two games; beating both Zambia and Algeria.

Though the team is looking solid and Technical
Adviser, Gernot Rohr is buoyed by the team spirit; given how dismal they were prior, there is often a cautious tone to how prepared he also believes the Eagles are.

Having missed out on two consecutive Africa Cup of Nations tournament, the team is surprisingly just three wins away from securing the only ticket in what’s been tagged the proverbial “Group of Death”, however, Akpoborie insists the real test begins from next year.

Nigeria play Cameroon in a double header in
August of 2017 , then the reverse fixtures of the
qualifiers against Zambia and Algeria follow.

All three teams are former continental
Champions, and are capable of turning results
around according to the former International.

He maintains that the quality of the oppositions in the group, marks why Nigeria’s position on top of the table shouldn’t be taken for granted.

Source: http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/9ja-news/2018-world-cup-dont-get-carried-away-akpoborie-warns-nigerians/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:16pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Kudos for your good comment,forget IDOMIE GENERATION TAG,u guys are wonderful here,despite our experience am always happy opening this thread,not only i watch football,i played it small(school football)with player like ex polish international Emma Olisadebe,ex eagles seyi olofinjana,Dayo Ajoge and local star like Niyi Ogunlana,yomi Sanchez,yemi Akinyanju.

So football analyzing cannot be based on age or experience perse but on how knowledgeable in reading d games without sentiments and i can say on this thread have seen guys given us wonderful comments irrespective of their experiences.

Truly d new super eagles is emerging under Rohr with wonderful world cup qualifying campaign so far that has eclipsed any eagles in history based on two matches ratio so far which w hope it w be sustained,though comparing d team with any eagles in history is uncalled for but must be praised for going on faster rate,beating Zambia and Algeria was not an easy task for those who understand d game.

Sir ICON4 may be exercising fear of what happened to France 98 team due to his expectations,forgetting that the team missed two Afcon due to political indifference of late Sani Abacha.

A good football pundits then trace our bad performance to Afcon 96 missed and Atlanta 96 gold,forgetting it was an age tourney.The fussion of afcon 96 squad and Atlanta 96 should have eclipsed d 94 team in France 98.Some of us see it then there w be problem and it shows coz d euphoria of US94 and Atlanta 96 was d only ego of France 98 squad.

Likely the same thing is going to happen coz we ve missed afcon 2015 and going to miss 2017 and it's going to affect d team if proper plan is not in place,missing d afcon w affect d discovery of new players coz only friendly sometimes does not determine d strength of a player e.g.Ogbeche,Sodje

The technical dept of NFF and Rohr should work together and make sure what happened in France 98 does not repeat itself,hopefully w qualified.

Now, that is where the problem lies.

You understand this potential danger but those guys in the Glass house careless. The flimsy excuse as usual would be 'no money'.

U pointed out the fact that our lack of participation at the 96 and 98 AFCON affected the team at France '98. That I would not totally agree. Why didn't that affect us against a star studded Spanish team and Bulgaria in the first and second games? The third game we lost to Paraguay bc we were already through and so fielded a second string team. Paraguay desperately needed to win and they got it.

Only the coach and players know what happened on that day. Even Brazil our supposed quarter final opponent were already gearing up to face us. Ronaldo De Lima was already talking tough about us.

NIGERIAN FOOTBALL NEVER RECOVERED FROM THAT DEFEAT.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:
Yea Babaginda was a baller but cannot bench present Moses,pls tell me d difference btw Babangida and Ahmed Musa who had two wonderful W/C goals against Argentina.

Consistency..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
Akpom Starts Running As Nigeria Make
Sensational Move To Cap Him Before England

Arsenal rising star Chuba Akpom is on the road to full recovery after a spell on the sidelines due to a back complaint.

The Hale End Academy product has not fully
recovered to be part of the Gunners squad that
will face Swiss opponents FC Basel in the
Champions League group stage on Tuesday
night, and didn’t travel with the team to
Switzerland.

Akpom has not kicked a ball in a competitive
fixture for Arsenal at all levels since September 20 when he played the last seven minutes of the 4-0 win at Nottingham Forest in the League Cup.

The 21-year-old has started running with the
physio as he steps up his recovery from the back injury.

The Guardian Nigeria, whom you can rely on, has reported that he is one of the English-born
youngsters that will be invited to the Super
Eagles squad for their international friendly with
Senegal in March.

The flaw in that report is that football governing
body, Fifa, has not yet approved his change of
nationality, that is if he has decided to play for
Nigeria in the first place.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21316
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:25pm On Dec 06, 2016
Wow! Well said... What can I say? That's easily the difference.....

But uhmm.. Musa's career is still on shaa... He still has years in him. Putting him in same sentence as Babangida is a big one don't you think.... wink

tbaba1234:

Consistency..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
18 years on Sir Icon4s....... smiley

Another Super Eagles class rises and even spanish journalists recognise the strong potentials in this team.

Please, give this generation a chance in your heart.... Don't allow the France '98 debacle to shut you out from seeing that there could be a difference with this rising generation. They can be more golden than previously thought.

And Nigerian football is on the way to total recovery with this generation, hopefully..... Just watch as the script/story unravels itself.... wink

Note: I know I cannot share in the pains, anguish and disappointment witnessed "live" that day after the Denmark defeat. I could only dare imagine it when I read about it in 2000 and watched it via clips/videos repeatedly same year and a few years after.

But don't let that stop you from still believing in our football. You've been around long enough to know that persistence is most-times rewarded. I wonder what the Leicester fans will say to you if they hear you. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THEY WAITED FOR THAT EPL TITLE?

WHAT ABOUT MAN CITY IN 2012? I have a clip of a man who stood with City for more close to 53 yrs or so just to see them conquer England again and then, that "AGUERO MOMENT" happened. smiley

Point is, 18 yrs on from that crushing defeat at France '98, Nigeria is rising again and is on a path to right the wrongs done in France by heading to Russia and ruffling feathers before unleashing big-time on the African continent, in 2019, the arrival of a "new order" (more like the return to power of a true powerhouse and the team with Africa's finest moments and best placing on the world rankings in football history).... And going on strong from there continentally and globally.

NIGERIAN FOOTBALL IS ON A STRONG RECOVERY PATH 18 YEARS ON FROM FRANCE '98..... There's a golden rise to be witnessed. smiley

Icon4s:

You understand this potential danger but those guys in the Glass house careless. The flimsy excuse as usual would be 'no money'.

U pointed out the fact that our lack of participation at the 96 and 98 AFCON affected the team at France '98. That I would not totally agree. Why didn't that affect us against a star studded Spanish team and Bulgaria in the first and second games? The third game we lost to Paraguay bc we were already through and so fielded a second string team. Paraguay desperately needed to win and they got it.

Only the coach and players know what happened on that day. Even Brazil our supposed quarter final opponent were already gearing up to face us. Ronaldo De Lima was already talking tough about us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:40pm On Dec 06, 2016
Icon4s:

Yes it affect us,beating Spain does not mean anything,it do happened in football.Nigeria participation in afcon 96 and 98 plus Atlanta 96 w have be a masterstroke for us at France 98,meaning team of US 94,afcon 96,afcon 98,Atlanta 96 going to France 98.Mehn what a class they would have be for d world to handle.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:49pm On Dec 06, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
At your service Kind Sir..... smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

ohhh dear Sir Soetanoreoluwa.... cry sad sad

I understand you. Do you know I had previously never witnessed "live" The Super Eagles triumph in any big competition until AFCON 2013 came around? smiley

I endured years of waiting and heartbreaks just to see Nigeria's Super Eagles make the frontpage for something so glorious. Bouts of envy and keen admiration always accompanied my seeing other nations lift the AFCON and WC trophies.

Even the first Euro tournament I watched in 2000 when I was 8 saw me admire and drool over France so much as they had previously conquered the world in 1998 (didn't watch that one live).

I always asked, "When will the Super Eagles conquer Africa in my life-time?" sad

So many of you here were witnessing your second experience live with Nigeria as Champions in 2013 but me, that was my first. Tears came to my eyes that day.

I finally saw my question answered 13 years after I asked same in the year 2000.

Believe me, I have seen and met many reasons to give up on the Potentials of the Super Eagles but I just chose to keep believing strongly.

I always kept records and data of our players' progress to always remind me of our growing potentials and more.

So please believe with me..... Fix your heart and believe again. If my wish to see Nigeria conquer Africa in my life-time could be fulfilled 13 yrs after I watched my first AFCON in lagos, then what stop us seeing a period of total dominance for the next couple of years from AFCON 2019 till AFCON 2026 and beyond?.... And also witnessing our darling team break the round-of-16 hoodoo and reach the WC semis as Africa's first and just maybe also, stun the world by hitting the biggest bull's eye.... THE WORLD CUP TROPHY ITSELF.. ?

Yes it's a dream.... A dream that looks like mission impossible but cannot be overlooked all the same.

All I am saying is..... No crime in believing. Optimism never hurt anyone especially when there's enough reason to be optimistic.

We can achieve the highest. This is what this thread is all about... Yes, We can! wink

So stand with me..... And fly with the Eagles..... We have a bright future to make into a most beautiful reality.

It's "firstly" all about "Believe"........ Like the Great Manchester UTD class of 1999 sang, "IT'S ALL ABOUT BELIEVE"

Yes, we have much work to do... We need to re-structure our system and make things a little more organised... But it all starts with something... "BELIEF", a belief so strong it can level the mountains.... smiley

My hrt is with SE every time even am praying we qualify for 2022 qatar WC... So I can see it live in qatar... Super eagle was my life then I could remember vividly bck then in 2002/2003 I was unable to see matches on cable all I do was to buy all the sports paper for all day n created a whole library for SE...monitoring all eagles player abroad and their performance... Though I was dejected , buh I will never give up on SE I have being following SL.ng, Kickoffnigeria then join the train of nairaland cos of the closure of sl.ng and kickoffnigeria ... I keep following nairaland sports session created by Sir Joseph...

2013 nations cup that we won was my happiest moment ever... I was just crying n shedding tears... I keep telling my dad we re going to win...cos I have a dream we will win by 1-0 that day.

I was so happy that year... Today I still have those flashes... I could remember dbanj songs that was dedicated to SE... I kept playing that song everyday....SE memories.... Smiling as was typing this...

I love to remember those part that make me smile than those that make me sad...
Super eagle for live!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:04pm On Dec 06, 2016
Ex-Chelsea Striker Samuel Etoo : I Am Too
Old To Play Against Nigeria

Former Chelsea striker Samuel Eto’o will not be
making a comeback to the Cameroonian National Team ahead of their World Cup qualifier against Nigeria in August 2017.

The four-time African Footballer of the Year called time on his international career in 2014 after scoring 56 goals in 118 appearances for the Indomitable Lions.

In an interview with Telefoot, Eto’o ruled out a
return to the squad for the African Cup of Nations and World Cup qualifiers because of his age.

“Oh no! I’m a little old for that ... There’s a young generation. Even if they have almost the same age with me,” said Eto’o.

Now 35, Eto’o first played against Nigeria in 1997 at the LG Cup in Tunis, before two appearances at the African Cup of Nations in 2000 and 2004.

He scored two goals in those three matches
against the Super Eagles.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21315

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:08pm On Dec 06, 2016
@SoetanOreoluwa........ There you go.... That's the Spirit!!! Keep the fire alive and burning....... Keep your smiles bright and your head up... Nigerian football is on the rise again... smiley

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 2:22pm On Dec 06, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

Another Super Eagles class rises and even spanish journalists recognise the strong potentials in this team.

Please, give this generation a chance in your heart.... Don't allow the France '98 debacle to shut you out from seeing that there could be a difference with this rising generation. They can be more golden than previously thought.

And Nigerian football is on the way to total recovery with this generation, hopefully..... Just watch as the script/story unravels itself.... wink

Note: I know I cannot share in the pains, anguish and disappointment witnessed "live" that day after the Denmark defeat. I could only dare imagine it when I read about it in 2000 and watched it via clips/videos repeatedly same year and a few years after.

But don't let that stop you from still believing in our football. You've been around long enough to know that persistence is most-times rewarded. I wonder what the Leicester fans will say to you if they hear you. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THEY WAITED FOR THAT EPL TITLE?

WHAT ABOUT MAN CITY IN 2012? I have a clip of a man who stood with City for more close to 53 yrs or so just to see them conquer England again and then, that "AGUERO MOMENT" happened. smiley

Point is, 18 yrs on from that crushing defeat at France '98, Nigeria is rising again and is on a path to right the wrongs done in France by heading to Russia and ruffling feathers before unleashing big-time on the African continent, in 2019, the arrival of a "new order" (more like the return to power of a true powerhouse and the team with Africa's finest moments and best placing on the world rankings in football history).... And going on strong from there continentally and globally.

NIGERIAN FOOTBALL IS ON A STRONG RECOVERY PATH 18 YEARS ON FROM FRANCE '98..... There's a golden rise to be witnessed. smiley

One Bigger enemy of Nigerian football is "The NFF"

Super Falcons star Ordega regrets playing for Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:29pm On Dec 06, 2016
Yep... Reported it on the Female national teams' thread.
https://www.nairaland.com/3400356/nigeria-female-national-teams-thread/8

They are a major part of the problem but still, they are just one side of the coin. wink

terzurum5:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:40pm On Dec 06, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

We have attempted severally to rise again. But as usual...... undecided

That generation that had the likes of Martins, Yakubu, Utaka, Taiwo, Yobo, Mikel, Ogbuke, Apam, Adeleye, Keita, Ambrose, Odiah, Enyeama, Ejide, Ayenugba, Obodo, Osaze, Aghahowa, Ikedia, Agali, Ayila, & co held high promises. But again... undecided

My brother dnt worry urself abt me. We know how we follow Nigerian football now grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:41pm On Dec 06, 2016
terzurum5:

The biggest enemy, my brother angry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
Yes naa... Fall down 7, rise up 8th.... We gotta never say never.... wink

Ahhhh... That generation of the mid-2000s till 2011.... Yakubu, Yobo, Utaka et all... BUT I TOLD YOU ALREADY NAA.... I told you these were among my heartbreaks too.... sad

But hey! I'm still here.... smiley

I'm still here saying, "Our story is not done yet... We can still achieve Glory again" smiley

Sir Icon4s, I'm not worried about you.... Believe me, you're closer to moving on from France '98 than you think or want me to think.... grin

It's all about believe....... Anyway, time will tell smiley

Icon4s:

We have attempted severally to rise again. But as usual...... undecided

That generation that had the likes of Martins, Yakubu, Utaka, Taiwo, Yobo, Mikel, Ogbuke, Apam, Adeleye, Keita, Ambrose, Odiah, Enyeama, Ejide, Ayenugba, Obodo, Osaze, Aghahowa, Ikedia, Agali, Ayila, & co held high promises. But again... undecided

My brother dnt worry urself abt me. We know how we follow Nigerian football now grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:15pm On Dec 06, 2016
Kog45:

The shocking performance of the Eagles in the France 98 world cup might not be totally unconnected to the so called mafia within the Eagles then. Even during the qualifiers word was rife about the machinations of the mafia determining who gets invited and who played but the white witch doctor Phillipe Trousier succeeded in qualifying us for the world cup but was sacked shortly before the world cup proper.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 06, 2016
If things go smoothly (no injuries, or major loss of form), I see this present golden generation of Super Eagles surpassing the achievements of the respective generations of the Ivorian and Ghanaian teams.

This SE team, if well managed, could make the semifinals of Russia 2018. The talent in the team is that good!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (372) (373) (374) (375) (376) (377) (378) ... (16122) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ChrisKels, ayasha02154, Subzerooo, quickberry(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 196
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.