Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,708 members, 7,813,339 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3842) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11626617 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3839) (3840) (3841) (3842) (3843) (3844) (3845) ... (16135) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:18am On Jun 02, 2018
chrisooblog:
I have a sneaky feeling that playing alongside Mikel obi today will bring out the best enjoy

Fingers crossed. We are just a few hours from kickoff. Could be a very good game or a very bad one from Nigeria. No in-betweens
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:19am On Jun 02, 2018
komekn:

I disagree particularly where today's game is concerned he is a liability with his lack of pace and recovery.

He will be easily mastered by Rueben Loftus.
what he lacks in pace, he makes up for in good positioning.

Pirlo had no pace but during his days bossed the midfield against athletic sides.

Note: I'm in no way comparing Pirlo to Ogu.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:19am On Jun 02, 2018
chrisooblog:
I have a sneaky feeling that playing alongside Mikel obi today will bring out the best enjoy

Y is everything always attached to Mikel to achieve a better result. He's human also,even d like of messi or c ronaldo do av off days on pitch

I wish d England players can tame Mikel and let c aw oda players will response with deir play cool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:20am On Jun 02, 2018
a combination of Joel obi,mikel and ndidi will be a delight to behold. any day any time i rate joel ahead of onazi who with omeruo are those whom i had high hopes on when they emerged but bad career decision seem to have stunt their progression. onazi's surprise move to the Turkish league was the worst decision of his career so far, also omeruo's constant loan moves to Turkish clubs have dont been of any positive to his progression. i am not saying kenneth should fight for a place in chelsea which is impossible for now but a move to a league where his talent will be well harnessed would have done him a lot of good, and good example is awaziem's loan deal to nantes in the french league last season.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:21am On Jun 02, 2018
Joebie:
I agree

Modified
But is still the coach’s preference. Ogu is my choice though

Nobody in the English midfield is a slouch unfortunately Ogu is.

In a contest between him and Rueben who will win

Onazi Mikel and Joel my choice.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:23am On Jun 02, 2018
safarigirl:
Ogu is the choice of any reasonable person.

There is no sensible reason why he should be dropped for any of those three. So, all these Team Joel, Team Etebo and the two people in Team Agu, should know that none of those three are better than Ogu currently

So I CERTAINLY DON'T AGREE with Ogu starting what does that make me? Hmmmm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:24am On Jun 02, 2018
Kog45:
The NFF guys are real typical Nigeria politicians.

Do you think they care about eagles or Nigeria football than we do.

My man they don't care.

200% Correct undeniably undeniable FACT
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:24am On Jun 02, 2018
elyte89:

Y is everything always attached to Mikel to achieve a better result. He's human also,even d like of messi or c ronaldo do av off days on pitch

I wish d England players can tame Mikel and let c aw oda players will response with deir play cool

If I was the opposition, I will re-watch Germany vs Ngr(Rio Olympics semi) and follow same template employed by the Germans on how to nullify the effect of Mikel.
I fear this is what the Icelanders will attempt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 10:25am On Jun 02, 2018
elyte89:

MIKEL will be out there today to show Chelsea fans what they have missed during his 8yrs stint at the bridge. how I wish Mou can take time to watch this one out and see how he debarred the World to see one of the finest creative midfielders to come out of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Famocious(m): 10:25am On Jun 02, 2018
Martz101:

not true, try to watch that dude well again

For benefit of doubt, I will see how those long passes will help us this evening.
England friendly will be a good litmus test for his proper appraisal cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 10:27am On Jun 02, 2018
AIG07:
what he lacks in pace, he makes up for in good positioning.

Pirlo had no pace but during his days bossed the midfield against athletic sides.

Note: I'm in no way comparing Pirlo to Ogu.
reminds me of pirlo's performance against England in Euro 2012.. it was like he was in his own slow motion video while english players were chasing shadows

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:28am On Jun 02, 2018
realpoacher:

K. Nwakali is not a one match player.

FYI, he has been a constant performer in the Nigerian Jersey, thats why he is seen as a special talent to us. We are used to him because he is closer to us, he grew up here, his early teenage years were all for our underage teams in which he performed excellently well and he has been point blank outstanding among all his peers from homegrown Nigeria.

You are measuring him with European football standards but we are measuring him with our own local standard.

He was molded from a young teen and exported to Europe after excelling here. Right now in Europe, he is not performing because reason being that like all other previous examples of homegrown Nigerian players who will have to re-learn football basics, adapt to new food, weather, culture, and lifestyle. Inorder words he has to start all over again.

The good thing is, he has age on his side as he is currently 19. And he will surely excel at "his" time

Now before you start your lengthy preaching about how at 19 he should be tearing apart all leagues, listen and listen good. Except for Pele, Messi, and Maybe Ronaldo De lima,... No player that ever played on planet earth had an excellent, world class, successful, and illustrious career from 18- 30 years stretch.

At some point in time players struggle, even Messi was MOTM at u17 and u20 but he was relatively unknown at age 20. He sat out on the bench studying from Ronaldinho and Eto at Barcelona and studied under Crespo and co in the Argentine squad to the 2006 world cup.

Honestly you have to cut the boy some slack because the boy deserves every nurture he gets from us because he is our golden boy. His skills and ability are not in doubt because he performs every time he puts on our Jersey. He will mature, and begin to perform at his clubside soon, its just a matter of time.

On a final note,

You should really be ashamed comparing these your foreign born Nigerian origin players with those who are from home here who comes to England after crossing seven sees and seven mountains only to be measured on the same wavelength with those that are born and bred there. Compared to those that learned football right from their childhood in the UK yet they can't seem to succeed within their mates.

These your foreign born are used to the weather, food, culture, lifestyle and football basics yet they are not tearing apart the Epl.. NO!!.. They are in the Championship and League 1 struggling. They are looking for cheap landing by fighting for spots in the SE inorder to boost their failed career. If football was so easy, how come they can't succeed in it after having so many advantages.?

Look at Aina, there was nothing that wasn't said here by you guys when you were marketing him to NFF, look at how ordinary his play is. Your lame defense?... That he is been played at of position. Let me tell you, in Lagos state alone, i can show you 5 right footed players that will perfectly play our left back far better than this shabby performance displayed by Aina.

Go to Calaba, Awka ibom, Delta, or Jos and you will see right-footers who will comfortably put aina on the bench, the only thing stopping them is the big word "Opportunity".

You have been asked severally to provide an answer why a lad who is not in the England squared currently training with the first team but you seem to be evading the question. Was it on merit that he was chosen?.. Is he tearing apart the EPL currently?

Will you say that when Jack Wilshire was England golden boy or he was the best then?... Even at his best then can you say that he was better than this present K. Nwakali? Atleast k. Nwakali proved himself at the u17 cadet worldwide level, can the same be said of Wilshire then? Someone that wenger took straight from Academy and gave him the preferential treatment.

The big question is where is Wilshire today?.....

Bros,.. There is a time for everything. The career life span of most players is 12 years professionally. Within this period, they don't shine all through, some shine early and fizzle out latter. Many others shine in the middle of their career ie Mo sallah. Some others are late bloomers ie Didier Drogba.

Its just a microscopic few that have the luxury of shinning all through their career ie Pele, Messi and Ronaldo.

So why won't you go easy on K. Nwakali? Is he the reason why Ovie, Ebere, Josh Onoma are not being invited?... Is he the reason why they have not switched allegiance?... Don't they have agents?.. If others are paying bribe, don't they have the money to pay bribe too?... ... Oh! I see.. They have been spoon fed all through their life. Everything they wanted came easy, they are in the UK where life is easy, they were bought football boots for by their parents and forced into the field to play ball. They didn't had to play barefooted ever, they didn't have to carry blocks at building site to raise money for boots.

No wonder they are waiting for Buhari to send a contigent to them to switch allegiance and hustle their way into the SE.... SMH!!!.. They go wait tire... They never ready.. They go grow old with white bia bia... Dem never see anything.

Make dem the wait o!... Tell them make they wait well well...

Let them not worry... When we get an angel to rule Nigeria, and all our corruption issues are over then we would send a 40 man delegation plus a red carpet and a host of dancers over to convince them to play for us.

But before then,... Allow us to nurture and give our preferential treatment to our homegrown local breed talent in peace..!

Rubbish angry

Bruv I am on my way to Wembley with some English Nigerian internationals.

When I get back I will reply you COMPREHENSIVELY this your misguided propositions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:33am On Jun 02, 2018
Martz101:

you have to add the German born, the holland and Spanish born to the innit boys

you stated that it's easier for naija born player to get into an Europe club academy than foreign born

Why u go join Vgets, Como and Hoegaat boys to innit boys na innit them deh talk there.

Quote me in context otherwise it's a con and misrepresentation.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:37am On Jun 02, 2018
kennysville:

Last time I checked, yaya toure is as slow as a tortoise.... Buuuuuuuuut.....highly effective. Pace isnt everything. Technique and effectiveness will get you what pace cannot. This doctrine of pace was brought about because of our mad love for the EPL. Nothing more. How much of gra gra soccer do we see in Germany or spain or even italy. .?

I will not talk until after the England game. Then we can place skill and pace side by side and decide which is better.

Dude wake up YAYA has never been slow even in City he was considered fast.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:40am On Jun 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Yes, he was actually a winger/ss when he was with Warri Wolves and Pinnick was the club's chairman while a certain incompetent Aigbogun was the coach

Yes I remember him well and yes I watched him in z Warri not Manchester.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:43am On Jun 02, 2018
CaptainStephen:
I agree with you, if not for his longterm absence, he should have been in contention for vice captaincy.
Based on years since debut na senior baller for eagles

Off course! I still remember his debut for Nigeria, that was when he played alongside with Mikel Obi.

He's the oldest capped player in the team save Mikel Obi.

I hope he takes things easy after he makes the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:47am On Jun 02, 2018
Victor Moses, Dele Alli & Three Other Bold Predictions For England Vs Nigeria Cracker

Published: June 02, 2018

As England welcome Nigeria to the famous footballing ground in London for their pre-World Cup friendly encounter tomorrow, it is fitting to pick out some certain things we could come to witness of the highly anticipated game.

From the fall out of the activities of Friday afternoon at the Hive Stadium, 25 Super Eagles are now left in the Nigeria squad to take on England at Wembley on Saturday, we take a look at five things that could be on show in few hours time.

1) Victor Moses to prove the key in unlocking the Three Lions defense

Victor Moses has always looked Nigeria's likeliest source of goals going forward and we are envisaging it would remain so on Saturday.

Having joined the team in their base after the exhaustion of the FA Cup final which culminated in him missing out in the DR Congo game in his homeland, the Chelsea dazzler will be looking to show his peers what he can do in the ranks with his country.

Should he come out top (which he are convinced he will), it will more than massage his ego.

However, we are not in any way underestimating the effervescence of his England-based teammates the likes of Alex Iwobi, Ahmed Musa and Kelechi Iheanacho!

2) Troost-Ekong and Balogun will have a whole lot on their hands stifling England's talisman, Kane

The message the sub-heading bears would not be more starker. The Three Lions boast an enviable attacking group of quality players and while Southgate is spoiled her choice in who starts upfront for his team, we can surely note it would be none other than Tottenham's Harry Kane.

The 24-year old is the man-to-go to when his side are in need of a goal and few would really bet against him finding one at Wembley tomorrow.

Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong who could be the team's defensive pairing yet again will have to be at their best to stem the flow of his efficacy.

3) Dele Alli to reunite with his country of descent

English-born Nigeria midfielder, Dele Alli is one player that could be on parade for the hosts tomorrow — his quality is, after all, never in doubt.

Having turned down a chance to represent the country of his parentage, the 22-year old has shown mettle and is every inch worth his salt with England after series of sensational displays with Tottenham in the English Premier League.

Today, he would be coming up against the country whom he jilted for the other.

4) Nigeria to score their first goal against the European nation at the third time of asking

Nigeria has met with England twice before this upcoming game and on each occasion, failed to manage a goal.

In a game such like this in 1994, a solitary goal from David Platt was all that separated both sides after ninety minutes while in a 2002 world cup group game, honours remained even throughout.

The hosts are unbeaten in their last six games overall, have not scored more than once in each of them but here, we are banking on the Super Eagles to at least find a way of breaching them this third time.

5) Gareth Southgate and Gernot Rohr to flex their managerial tactics ahead of World Cup

These two sides are bound for Russia and this presents a perfect opportunity for the two presiding managers to show what they can come up with against their fellow world cup participants.

Both Rohr and Southgate are seasoned handlers, but we are primed to be in for a treat of managerial masterclass!

As such, the game could be viewed as a case of which manger has be best tactics and managerial know-how to outdo the other.

Emmanuel Chinaza

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27990
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:48am On Jun 02, 2018
safarigirl:
Aina will die on that pitch tomorrow. He will not miss a chance to show England what they missed out on, if I were Rohr, I would start him

This is the match he will give his best, if he still plays rubbish against England, then mans issa lost cause. Rohr can drop him straight

Luvin d sentiment go Eagles go.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 10:51am On Jun 02, 2018
AIG07:
MIKEL will be out there today to show Chelsea fans what they have missed during his 8yrs stint at the bridge. how I wish Mou can take time to watch this one out and see how he debarred the World to see one of the finest creative midfielders to come out of Africa.

grin

Assistant Inspector General (AIG) of Police...... LMAO!

What about if Mikel is tamed and couldn't perform to Expectations while Mou is watching from the Stand?!

Mou would be like....... I was right to convert him to a DM. We shouldn't brag before a Game, coz we don't know what might pan out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:55am On Jun 02, 2018
Joebie:
BREAKING:

The outcome after FIFA just called off a century old ban grin
But They have been playing in Asia. The Asian Cup for instance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 10:55am On Jun 02, 2018
komekn:

He is simply too slow and in the position he plays PACE is essential not over stated experience.

Too slow what? Is he slower than Balogun? Did he just become slow? Was not slow all through thr qualifiers?

Like we will be playing England every time?

Pace this pace that like we are on the track. Is he the slowest known LB in the world? Infact send us evidences that proves his slowness.

Same was said of him when we were to play Cameroon on both legs, they said bassong and co would get him swallowed and useless. At the end of the day, what happened?

When you say slow, kindly cite 2 incidence that his "slowness" led to goals from his wing.

Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:03am On Jun 02, 2018
somehow:

Just as people are overlooking the contributions of Elderson out of undue dislike. He's yet to do badly for us of recent, yet alot wants him dropped just like that.

Exactly.

Sentiments.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:05am On Jun 02, 2018
somehow:

Not entirely since Ndidi wont be staRting.
At least for now.
Ndidi may not start against Croatia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:08am On Jun 02, 2018
Martz101:

yes, but things might change in this line before Croatia game
I don't doubt that.
But I can only base my judgement on what I have seen thus far.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:08am On Jun 02, 2018
elyte89:

sorry my post was in regards to joel have modified to reflect that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 11:09am On Jun 02, 2018
Good point. I am just a little bit worried that we might not be doing as much scouting as our opponents are. I was shocked to hear that they even sent scouts to PH, they couldn't even wait for the two friendlies in Europe. It seems they need all the info they can get grin

O pari

Icon4s:

You think so because you only get to hear about what they say about Nigeria.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 11:15am On Jun 02, 2018
Haha. Ola Aina is definitely NOT starting today's game and may likely not even see action. According to Rohr, he plans to play his first team and based on everything we've seen so far, Aina wouldn't make the cut. In fact, I expect him to be cut after today's game.

O pari

safarigirl:
Aina will die on that pitch tomorrow. He will not miss a chance to show England what they missed out on, if I were Rohr, I would start him

This is the match he will give his best, if he still plays rubbish against England, then mans issa lost cause. Rohr can drop him straight

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:16am On Jun 02, 2018
EEGA:
For Joel to be starting matches for Torino in Serie A speaks a lot of his quality.
And what has he done since his invite for three matches now?. He's been nothing but ordinary.. nonsense

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femianski: 11:19am On Jun 02, 2018
LieDetector:
that should be yesterday.
it's an old news it happened about four days ago
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 11:20am On Jun 02, 2018
Result ain't my Concern in Today's Friendly Match, rather our style of Play as well as individuals performances are my priority.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 11:22am On Jun 02, 2018
The THREE things I would be watching for in today's game:

1. Can Obi Mikel be effective for 90 mins. I don't know if you guys realized that Mikel rarely plays 90 minutes these days. In all our qualifiers, he usually becomes ineffective after about 75 mins. The China effect

2. Can Alex Iwobi (if he starts) play 90 mins. Iwobi has never been a 90 mins players, even at Arsenal they tend to sub him after about 60-70 mins in most games. Same with the Super Eagles, but he seems to be improving ... I noticed that he did play some 90 mins matches for Arsenal towards the end of the season.

3. Can Francis Uzoho cut out those silly, elementary school errors we saw against Poland and Serbia. I expect him to grow in confidence and experience the more he plays with the national team, so I would be expecting a much better performance from him today.

I am really excited for today's game but the big question mark is where to watch it LIVE on TV sad

O pari

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:25am On Jun 02, 2018
komekn:

Dude wake up YAYA has never been slow even in City he was considered fast.

Na back of tv you dey watch,yaya toure fast are you kidding me? they should stop calling you southgate and call you Gary Neville for this you just said.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3839) (3840) (3841) (3842) (3843) (3844) (3845) ... (16135) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Amedino99(m), jieta and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.