Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,824 members, 7,862,711 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:15 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4130) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942522 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4127) (4128) (4129) (4130) (4131) (4132) (4133) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:52am On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

But you made it look like all that you said that day was a joke naw. Abi Icon4s was right when he said that you really meant all that you said and that the joke thing was an afterthought to do damage control after your received so much flak for your melt down.

The only thing I called a joke was asking for Rohr's sack before the first match.

Dig am out make we see or face palm grin

Lol you actually thought a flak from a faceless forum would make me change my mind or have a rethink? So tell me, after all the flaks, who is wrong at last? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:53am On Jun 17, 2018
ChrisKels:

I never criticized any player neither did I criticise the team rather I criticised the coach. The boys didn't fail me, the coach did with his stupid formation.

For this reason, I am not going no where because my team was not defeated by their opponent, they were rather defeated by their coach.

Finito

Alright, now I knew you were never gonna leave... When I saw that comment of yours, I had a reply in mind to save you putting yourself in such position but I decided to keep mute.... But now... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... Mehn that lawyer GF of yours have truly taught you some tricks from the law book abi... I hail ooooo... Looooolllll...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:53am On Jun 17, 2018
ChrisKels:

I never criticized any player neither did I criticise the team rather I criticised the coach. The boys didn't fail me, the coach did with his stupid formation.

For this reason, I am not going no where because my team was not defeated by their opponent, they were rather defeated by their coach.

Finito

grin

LMAO! Didn't you see To-Let written boldly on your Door?! The Management of this Thread has already marked your Room as a vacant One.

We are hoping you gonna do the needful and pack out in time. There are too many homeless Members of the Thread (ghost Readers) that are eager to move in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geofavor(m): 8:54am On Jun 17, 2018
gloryon:
Have being a silent reader of this great thread. I know the optimist , pessimist and the opportunists of this thread. At this juncture though,if nigeria fails to qualify from the group, I will stop supporting them because I don't know what else to be done to make the eagles fly. This time around everything was done for them and the boys refuse to fly. Am heartbroken cry

The problem is in the set of players we always take to the world cup. They don't have enough energy to compete on a world level. They can only do well against fellow 'heavy' africans.
Our players get tired quickly. They can't RUN and CHARGE their opponents for 90 minutes like the south americans and europeans do.

If we are to go reasonably far in the next world cup, we need to do what Ghana did in 2010: use young players ( under 23) that have all played together for a while, probably a team of players from the youth team all promoted to the super eagles. This is the only way we will do well on a world stage.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:55am On Jun 17, 2018
Mickael2:

who said they didn't do anything? If you were busy preparing for a serious mathematics exam and you are served primary school mathematics won't you just drop your calculator and start solving manually? :They didn't need to get out of first gear because what we were playing wasn't even close to their own gear1 so why exert energy too much when your next match is against Argentina? For the record the only shot on goal we had was Ighalo's tame header, if we had brought our A game they would have played a lot better than they did. watch their performance against Senegal, an African team that actually came to play football
That's the point I'm making na. We made it too easy for them. Look at how Argentina suffered yesterday, look at how France laboured. We played like Saudi Arabia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 8:55am On Jun 17, 2018
With the statement white onigbinde made to the press he is not ready to change nothing. However, I believe we will beat Iceland and draw Argentina to qualify. I read we were fouled a lot abit technically? but the ref did not blow for the fouls only to award Croatia a penalty.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:56am On Jun 17, 2018
Mickael2:

That's not what matters now but how the team will move forward, they are representing Nigeria anyways. But there are some issues here

First of all Mikel was poor, very very poor. There was only one reasonable chance that Mikel created, the one he gave to Nacho which Nacho should have dropped back for him because Mikel was in a better position yet he choose to shoot, looking for the glory for himself. Mikel dispossessed Modric by the corner flag and he just passed the ball to Subasic, is that a chance created? Mikel was supposed to do a 1-2 with Moses but passed the ball far ahead of Moses and there was no way Moses was going to get that ball so he dived, is that a chance created? Modric was easily the best player on the pitch followed by Rakitic why? Whenever Modric had the ball no Nigerian player bothered to press him, and that was supposed to be the work of Mikel and since nobody was pressuring him he had enough time to pick his passes precisely. In fact from the 52-78 minutes Modric was not dispossessed even once because nobody dared to mark him. Even when Rakitic also dropped into Modrics role towards the end of the game nobody was marking him either. Mikel was bad, let us not hide that fact but to me he remains our best bet in the AMF role, there is no assurance that Iwobi would have done better.

All the blames on Shehu are all pointless. Two seasons ago at Barca, Alba was very very poor because he was playing on the same wing with Neymar but last season he was a totally different beast. When you play on the same wing with a player who likes to dribble so much, you as a fullback will be reluctant to attack knowing fully well that any mistake and you would be out of position badly and that was what clearly restricted Shehu. There were times when Moses had better options yet he choose to beat his man, after seeing that will you still want to attack knowing fully well that the person you are living behind is Perisic, a quick winger? Also, the lack of press on Modric by Mikel was easily the reason why Perisic kept on receiving accurate long balls but instead of blaming Mikel we blame Shehu? The young guy contained Perisic which nobody can really guarantee that Ebuehi could have done especially since we were a goal down and the onus would have been on Ebuehi to attack leaving gaps for Perisic. Cut Shehu some slack, he was not bad today. not outstanding but absolutely solid.

we really need to tell our GK that there is a difference between winning and losing. even when we were losing it took him hours to get the ball back in play allowing the Croatians to regroup and easily counter our long balls.

this one is going to create serious controversy but I wasn't overly impressed with Etebo. too many back passes, just too many. too much ball hogging, just too much. he pressed well, won the ball back well but did absolutely nothing with it except the driving runs that he made once or twice which all happened in the middle of the pitch which really didn't matter. Now peeps want him to play as the 10 after that performance against Algeria and SA in that role? that should not happen any time soon. Ndidi was anonymous in this match, he was not the deepest midfielder so I would have guessed that it was his work to carry the ball forward which he absolutely did not do all game long.

The opportunity came because of Nacho's movement. If we had more movement upfront, Mikel would have created more. You can not blame him for our conservative style.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:57am On Jun 17, 2018
COOL10:
. Funny enough I said that with a light heart. C'mon it's a Sunday morning. I even liked that your post. Not everyone is out to attack you my brother.

grin

Sorry Bro! I didn't mean to attack either, just wanna set the Record straight. Check my Profile on this Platform, I ain't the type that engages in E-Battle.

Wish you a fun-filled Sunday!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:57am On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Alright, now I knew you were never gonna leave... When I saw that comment of yours, I had a reply in mind to save you putting yourself in such position but I decided to keep mute.... But now... Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... Mehn that lawyer GF of yours have truly taught you some tricks from the law book abi... I hail ooooo... Looooolllll...
Omo, the guy na real Maradona. I never saw that coming.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:58am On Jun 17, 2018
eph12:

Of course we will. We just need to win our next two matches. Easy!

grin

Cc Unlimited22

Hope you gonna believe in the Team like our Bruh?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:58am On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
But he did create chances yesterday did he not?

He did press high up the pitch did he not?

He did match and even bested Modric at times did he not?

He did fall back a couple of times to even help bring out the ball from defence and build from the back did he not?

Mikel is still our creative hub alongside Iwobi... That is a fact.

The best option I expect anyone to tell me is to move Mikel to CM while Iwobi plays AM and we can have a true discussion because I am also (as an option) for a Ndidi-Mikel-Iwobi midfield against Iceland with Iheanacho and Moses up top.

We need to break down that Icelandic Juggernaut wall.

The problem is that Etebo was great at CMF.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 8:59am On Jun 17, 2018
ChrisKels:

I made this post on the 6th of june and some empty brains were waging war against me but today all them eyes dun clear Lol grin

You're just an unrepentant hypocrite! But you came out to deny that you weren't serious with the statement you made above! Claiming it was just a joke. But because of what happened yesterday, you had to remind us about this in order to boost your ego? undecided

I'm not in anyway happy with the coach's tactical approach and also in no way defending his inability to transform our game for the better, but you flickering like an unstable bulb is outta place.

And if we win our last two matches, you will be one of the people that would first hail the coach. Your inconsistence is really appalling.

You get me pissed with the comment above. angry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 8:59am On Jun 17, 2018
LieDetector:
Remember how I was reserved and expressed my vote of no confidence when a hint of our starting line up yesterday was flashed. Rohr is so clueless for crying out loud. I pulled a statistics for you guys with the 3 5 2 where we average 1.3goals every 45mins and concede zero goal. But the white onigbinde doesn't know zilch. He played 4-3-3. Iwobi out wide. Shehu offered absolutely nothing going forward. Watch that game again and you notice the primary cause of the goals we conceded is shehu. Perisic had a field day. I pray Rohr doesn't play ebuehi in this tournament again. I really wish for him to be a world star but Rohr doesn't just fancy him. He should wait for for Holland call up.

We're back to our calculator days. Oh how I miss that. Let's solve some little algebra grin

If Croatia beats Argentina and we beat Iceland, it will be

Croatia - 6
Nigeria - 3
Argentina - 1
Iceland - 1

If Croatia draws Argentina and we beat Iceland, then

Croatia - 4
Nigeria - 3
Argentina - 2
Iceland - 1

If Croatia loses to Argentina and we beat Iceland, then

Argentina - 4
Nigeria - 3
Croatia - 3
Iceland - 1

Our qualification solely rests upon our shoulders. Beat Iceland then we have chance.

YES WE CAN

Rohr should get his tactics right. 3 5 2 with the right players is the way to go

Oga, you are not considering goal differences in ur calculation, there chance is very slim.

we should forget this about this team, Im very surprised they could match the croatians man to man but they were very lazy in thier approach, I didn't see any hungry bite in this team, Indeed they come to Russian for fashion parade as someone statted stated in other thread.

Is thr a best loser in this tournament?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:00am On Jun 17, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

The opportunity came because of Nacho's movement. If we had more movement upfront, Mikel would have created more. You can not blame him for our conservative style.

the opportunity actually came because of Mikel's movement. Nacho was standing on the same position that Ighalo was standing all game long but in that sequence Mikel actually decided to attack through Moses' wing instead of going through the other side as he was doing all game long. No offence but Ighalo would have dropped the ball back for Mikel to shoot which was the better option at that point too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 9:00am On Jun 17, 2018
Your info is incorrect. The core of that team are highly experience players not under 23 please. Gyan, Muntari, Asamaoh, Panstail, Mensah, Prince Boateng etc
Geofavor:

The problem is in the set of players we always take to the world cup. They don't have enough energy to compete on a world level. They can only do well against fellow 'heavy' africans.
Our players get tired quickly. They can't RUN and CHARGE their opponents for 90 minutes like the south americans and europeans do.

If we are to go reasonably far in the next world cup, we need to do what Ghana did in 2010: use young players ( under 23) that have all played together for a while, probably a team of players from the youth team all promoted to the super eagles. This is the only way we will do well on a world stage.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 9:00am On Jun 17, 2018
fabyom:
With the statement white onigbinde made to the press he is not ready to change nothing. However, I believe we will beat Iceland and draw Argentina to qualify. I read we were fouled a lot abit technically? but the ref did not blow for the fouls only to award Croatia a penalty.

grin

Una no wan hear word ba?! LOL!

Nigerians and Excuses are like siamese Twins.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:00am On Jun 17, 2018
Mickael2:

That's not what matters now but how the team will move forward, they are representing Nigeria anyways. But there are some issues here

First of all Mikel was poor, very very poor. There was only one reasonable chance that Mikel created, the one he gave to Nacho which Nacho should have dropped back for him because Mikel was in a better position yet he choose to shoot, looking for the glory for himself. Mikel dispossessed Modric by the corner flag and he just passed the ball to Subasic, is that a chance created? Mikel was supposed to do a 1-2 with Moses but passed the ball far ahead of Moses and there was no way Moses was going to get that ball so he dived, is that a chance created? Modric was easily the best player on the pitch followed by Rakitic why? Whenever Modric had the ball no Nigerian player bothered to press him, and that was supposed to be the work of Mikel and since nobody was pressuring him he had enough time to pick his passes precisely. In fact from the 52-78 minutes Modric was not dispossessed even once because nobody dared to mark him. Even when Rakitic also dropped into Modrics role towards the end of the game nobody was marking him either. Mikel was bad, let us not hide that fact but to me he remains our best bet in the AMF role, there is no assurance that Iwobi would have done better.

All the blames on Shehu are all pointless. Two seasons ago at Barca, Alba was very very poor because he was playing on the same wing with Neymar but last season he was a totally different beast. When you play on the same wing with a player who likes to dribble so much, you as a fullback will be reluctant to attack knowing fully well that any mistake and you would be out of position badly and that was what clearly restricted Shehu. There were times when Moses had better options yet he choose to beat his man, after seeing that will you still want to attack knowing fully well that the person you are living behind is Perisic, a quick winger? Also, the lack of press on Modric by Mikel was easily the reason why Perisic kept on receiving accurate long balls but instead of blaming Mikel we blame Shehu? The young guy contained Perisic which nobody can really guarantee that Ebuehi could have done especially since we were a goal down and the onus would have been on Ebuehi to attack leaving gaps for Perisic. Cut Shehu some slack, he was not bad today. not outstanding but absolutely solid.

we really need to tell our GK that there is a difference between winning and losing. even when we were losing it took him hours to get the ball back in play allowing the Croatians to regroup and easily counter our long balls.

this one is going to create serious controversy but I wasn't overly impressed with Etebo. too many back passes, just too many. too much ball hogging, just too much. he pressed well, won the ball back well but did absolutely nothing with it except the driving runs that he made once or twice which all happened in the middle of the pitch which really didn't matter. Now peeps want him to play as the 10 after that performance against Algeria and SA in that role? that should not happen any time soon. Ndidi was anonymous in this match, he was not the deepest midfielder so I would have guessed that it was his work to carry the ball forward which he absolutely did not do all game long.

Oh common. Shehu should not be blamed because Moses dribbles. Really? If Ebuehi was there he would keep the Croatians under pressure with his constant runs, with or without Moses.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:01am On Jun 17, 2018
Mickael2:

the opportunity actually came because of Mikel's movement. Nacho was standing on the same position that Ighalo was standing all game long but in that sequence Mikel actually decided to attack through Moses' wing instead of going through the other side as he was doing all game long. No offence but Ighalo would have dropped the ball back for Mikel to shoot which was the better option at that point too

Watch the first shot Nacho had and watch his movement to the ball. As long as you have an attacker with movement, the midfield has chances. Ighalo did not offer that all game. Also, Ighalo was too lazy to press all game, causing Mikel to aid in the pressing.

I hammered on this before. If Mikel has to do the pressing, you have a problem. Mikel was all over the pitch working hard and that can not be a description of poor performance. Simple we were not mobile enough and that was basically what nullified us.

So why were we not mobile.

Simple.

Shehu and Ighalo.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:01am On Jun 17, 2018
So great in fact. Etebo picked himself up from that first error and gave us an individual performance we will not forget in a hurry.

He merits a start, no doubt, in our next game if not I am also open to consider a Ndidi-Mikel-Iwobi combo for our midfield in a 3-5-2. Truth is Etebo at CMF or Mikel doing his thing with Iwobi... I just wanna see us win.

BascoVanVeli:

The problem is that Etebo was great at CMF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:02am On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

He's having a field day instead of keeping to his word. I remember when another moniker (Eleniyan15 I guess) made the vow, ChrisKels was the only person on this thread who yabbed the guy and told him to keep to his word.

Now you too should do same . even your man elyte89 don call you out to keep to your vow

I don't want you to leave the thread but don't talk again like a man who keeps to his words because you didn't keep to your vow.

Read my reply to the post u quoted
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 9:02am On Jun 17, 2018
grin

GOtv is showing the Replay now. I really can't dare to watch it sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:06am On Jun 17, 2018
klexycole:

You're just an unrepentant hypocrite! But you came out to deny that you weren't serious with the statement you made above! Claiming it was just a joke. But because of what happened yesterday, you had to remind us about this in order to boost your ego? undecided

I'm not in anyway happy with the coach's tactical approach and also in no way defending his inability to transform our game for the better, but you flickering like an unstable bulb is outta place.

And if we win our last two matches, you will be one of the people that would first hail the coach. Your inconsistence is really appalling.

You get me pissed with the comment above. angry

If you are pissed, u hang urself.

I said it was joke calling u an unknown entity and that it was a joke calling for Rohr's sack before our first match. I never said it was a joke calling Rohr inept.

Prove me wrong or face ur palm grin

I will be the first to hail him if he changes to a winning formation and gets results, but until then his ineptitude is unquantifiable.

Mind you Chris does not care whose ox is gored, so vex or no vex, for ur pocket. Not u nor ur ilks go fit influence my opinion on any subject matter here grin

Im not one who makes comment to please people, I don't need you to like my opinion to know i said Whats right. I dont care about ur existence neither do I, how u feel so bleep off
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by diggz: 9:06am On Jun 17, 2018
raumdeuter:
We no sabi play jare

Na lie you talk,I no agree with you because we sabi play jare but your german brother fvcked us bad with is cluelessness angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:07am On Jun 17, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Oh common. Shehu should not be blamed because Moses dribbles. Really? If Ebuehi was there he would keep the Croatians under pressure with his constant runs, with or without Moses.

Quick question, have you ever played as a fullback in your life? If you have, we would not be having this conversation. I don't know if it was Etebo or Ndidi that was always open for Moses in the middle but time and again he'd choose to beat his man instead of just passing the ball. By the way what Shehu did yesterday was no different from what Abidal used to do for Barca, and it was to be expected because he was marking Perisic, you know...their best player?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 9:09am On Jun 17, 2018
Croatia to draw Argentina 2-2

Nigeria to beat Iceland 2-1

Nigeria to draw Argentina 1-1

Croatia to beat Iceland 2-1

and staight up to round 16 if we do the right thing..I stil have 30% hope on our boyz
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:10am On Jun 17, 2018
Oasis007:
grin

Looooolllll.... Just change the channel my good man... Hahahaahahahahaha.... Indeed it is painful shaa...

This is me when I see any channel that will wanna put me through the torture of watching a game we lost so annoyingly...

I go be like.... "Waka dia... Lol..." **picks up remote and changes the channel** Finito!! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by fabyom: 9:11am On Jun 17, 2018
I said what I read and heard. Will try and create time to watch the match myself
Oasis007:
grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:11am On Jun 17, 2018
ChrisKels:

Read my reply to the post u quoted
I don read am. You wriggle your way out. Good one Bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:12am On Jun 17, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Watch the first shot Nacho had and watch his movement to the ball. As long as you have an attacker with movement, the midfield has chances. Ighalo did not offer that all game. Also, Ighalo was too lazy to press all game, causing Mikel to aid in the pressing.

I hammered on this before. If Mikel has to do the pressing, you have a problem. Mikel was all over the pitch working hard and that can not be a description of poor performance. Simple we were not mobile enough and that was basically what nullified us.

So why were we not mobile.

Simple.

Shehu and Ighalo.

wait oh, so Ighalo was supposed to press the entire back four alone? So Mikel does not have to press even though he is the second most advanced player as per Messi or something? I think it was in the beginning of the second half when we actually created a chance for Ighalo did you not see his brilliant movement to get onto the wrong side of his marker? if not for that brilliant block he would have scored. There was a time Ighalo had the ball on the byline but Iwobi was too slow to get into the box, that summed up what was happening. Ighalo played upfront alone because Moses was busy showing off his skills in a wide area
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:12am On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
So great in fact. Etebo picked himself up from that first error and gave us an individual performance we will not forget in a hurry.

He merits a start, no doubt, in our next game if not I am also open to consider a Ndidi-Mikel-Iwobi combo for our midfield in a 3-5-2. Truth is Etebo at CMF or Mikel don't ng his thing with Iwobi... I just wanna see us win.

Why I prefer Mikel in the Middle is because of his ability to dictate play and read the play of the opposition. However, it will mean Ndidi doing a mountain work of covering much distance on the field to nullify threats.

The Etebo - Ndidi - Mikel combo still looks conservative to me. Iwobi is also hardworking too, so I will still opt Ndidi - Mikel - Iwobi. But it has to be a 3-5-2 offensive set-up because we need the width to come from Idowu.

Either way, the set-up yesterday with Ebuehi and Iheanacho replacing Shehu and Ighalo would have offered more than what we had yesterday.

We need Nacho pressing to disorganize the defensive build-up plays of the opposition, especially against the Argentines who like to Build from the back and also Ebuehi bombarding forward to keep the opposition cautious from their left flank.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Geofavor(m): 9:15am On Jun 17, 2018
fabyom:
Your info is incorrect. The core of that team are highly experience players not under 23 please. Gyan, Muntari, Asamaoh, Panstail, Mensah, Prince Boateng etc
They weren't really the core of the team. For instance, Muntari was benched for most of the competion.

I know some of their players were old and experienced. But, almost the whole first eleven were young and agile. Asamoah gyan, as at that time, was agile. That was why he made it into the first eleven. Boateng was more or less a german machine.

If you watched that ghanaian 2010 squad, you would see the synergy in the team. I just don't know how they got it all wrong afterwards.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:16am On Jun 17, 2018
Mickael2:

wait oh, so Ighalo was supposed to press the entire back four alone? So Mikel does not have to press even though he is the second most advanced player as per Messi or something? I think it was in the beginning of the second half when we actually created a chance for Ighalo did you not see his brilliant movement to get onto the wrong side of his marker? if not for that brilliant block he would have scored. There was a time Ighalo had the ball on the byline but Iwobi was too slow to get into the box, that summed up what was happening. Ighalo played upfront alone because Moses was busy showing off his skills in a wide area

When Iheanacho was on the pitch, Mikel reduced his pressing duties and Iheanacho carried most of the load. It was until Nacho came on we had the keeper under pressure to disturb their build-up plays which was a big part of their game.

I repeat, when Mikel has to do a lot of pressing when you have a striker on the field, you have a problem. Heck, repeatedly, Mikel was ahead of Ighalo pressing. That already spelt doom for us.

I did not say Ighalo was stationary but not mobile enough to cause the Croats problems.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (4127) (4128) (4129) (4130) (4131) (4132) (4133) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, dijon, mekabuachi, M7even(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.