Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4150) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11662455 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4147) (4148) (4149) (4150) (4151) (4152) (4153) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:

Think the Confederations Cup was a battle for who would be Neuer's understudy. Ter Stegen won and Leno got dropped.
Understudy ke? At 27yrs old? For me, Leno and Ter Stegen are at the same level, the difference is that Ter Stegen left Germany early while Leno stayed behind.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2018
I told someone this Swiss team can still sting Brazil
1:1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:10pm On Jun 17, 2018
Switzerland just scored but I swear that was a push on Miranda...

Game on! Brazil have conceded.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 8:10pm On Jun 17, 2018
krattoss:
Although Brazil is winning, the switz are giving them run for their money

did you noticed what happened ... the coach has changed his tactics to curtail the Brazilian , and it worked for him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 8:13pm On Jun 17, 2018
realpoacher:

Rohr May thunder strike your mouth there.. Anuofia angry

This man is gradually becoming Mad but he hasn't realized this... Pinnick should fire this clueless fool

3-5-2 is the way forward for us right now and this old twerp can't see it

Even Keshi gave us more believe than this failure of a German....

Because of its ineptitude i couldn't sleep well last night and i didn't even go to church this morning as well because of the pain and heaviness in my chest

May another thunder fire you there again angry

Nonsense angry

God bless you bro.

Imagine that nonsense

Infact, make the thunder get xlone.

Make we forget this world cup.

This man na simpleton

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:14pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

example of doggedness
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:14pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

They didn't pick those players and automatically it's sentiments that caused it. I proved to you that fitness was an issue in 2014 and still they won.

I read somewhere why Loew didn't pick Sane and it had nothing to do with sentiments. Mexico came to play and they played.

Defeats and failures have reasons but I find your reasons not grounded in fact. It's just your opinion.
You haven't been able to disapprove Leow wasn't sentimental in his choices. It's not a enough saying Germans aren't sentimental. Although, being a world cup winner, he earned the right to make whatever choices on players, by sunset, he will be judged by those choices in victory or in defeat,just like today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2018
LieDetector:
Akanji is better than balogun + Idowu + Omeruo
Victor moses has got serious lessons to learn from Shaqiri on how to cross. Switzerland be giving me joy this evening. Typical example of a world cup match. No team should be a walkover. We're the worst team after Saudi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:16pm On Jun 17, 2018
Spy360:

It is easier to say. But if you ask Xhaka or Wenger they will tell you he is not.
Reason why Emery wants a DM like Torreira.
That's because Emery get sense and isn't trying to force Xhaka to do more than he can handle. Wenger wanted Xhaka to be like Petit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:18pm On Jun 17, 2018
Yeah... And honestly this is why when Forgiveness goes on about some unknown talent somewhere that is Nigerian, I give a listen (not when he is taking the other route ooo... Lol). Same with Sir Tbaba1234... I try to have my eyes on Nigerian talents everywhere, foreign Nigerian born or those born here and thriving in some top or decent or maybe modest leagues in Europe.

Before most of you joined, Forgiveness and Tbaba1234 have dropped names of Nigerian talents from all over. Myself inclusive. This is why I understand Forgiveness from that angle... because with that, he wants us to get in some quality options too which is actually great for the Super Eagles in the long run.

We certainly cannot get all... But try, we must. In trying we will land some quality more going forward.

Our post-russia recruitment drive must be doubled big time.

For example, Philip Billing is there for the taking. We must not be slack. Same with Ademola Lookman, we really must look at him.

andrew444:

You made a big point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:18pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

Understudy ke? At 27yrs old? For me, Leno and Ter Stegen are at the same level, the difference is that Ter Stegen left Germany early while Leno stayed behind.
That was before. Leno has stagnated majorly. Too error prone now. He's committed the second most errors leading to goals in the Bundesliga since 2014. I don't want Arsenal to sign him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:20pm On Jun 17, 2018
grin

Brazilian Moses needs to be subbed off. He's killing the Team with his selfish Play.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LieDetector(m): 8:21pm On Jun 17, 2018
Akanji is a baller. His confidence is outta this world

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
Oasis007:
grin

Brazilian Moses needs to be subbed off. He's killing the Team with his selfish Play.

Sebi you just saw his pass to coutinho... You don't buy such class naa.... Victor moses is a top player for us but the gap in class between his impact factor and Neymar's is as far as the east is from the west...

Take note...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:
Forgiveness see your boy Akanji dey do well.

When i dey tell dem about Akanji but dem say em no good enough despite the fact that the boy was obviously good and ready to play for Nigeria.

Na so Switzerland cap am and move go Dortmund for our very eyes.

Na so I talk about Lookman Ademola before e even start to dey shine, dem look d name forget ability begin call me names.

D one wey go pain me pass na Onomah. If we miss dis one it will be painful.

Sheyi Ojo still dey dere. I know Eze is already in our pocket no need to worri but still need to be fast about it.

Deji-Beyreuther don show interest, Arnaut-Groeneveld don declare, Dessers etc but na Oyo dem dey till nau.

I hope after we do well in this World cup, we should improve the team. Even if we reach finals we still to bring in fresh legs.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:32pm On Jun 17, 2018
Icon4s:
Manuel Akanji doing a good job.

I don't know how a veteran like Murphy Akanji would allow his son to play for Switzerland.

Nigeria was slow with Manuel Akanji... He was open to playing for Nigeria. If he rejected Switzerland to wait for Nigeria, what is the guarantee that we will not give him the Otigba treatment?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:33pm On Jun 17, 2018
Chaaaiiii... Akanji just bulldozed and tactically wrestled Gabby J to the grass and it is not a penalty... Great from Akanji. Bossing Gabby J... Wow... Awesome... But some refs may give that as a pen shaa...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:33pm On Jun 17, 2018
FIFA is obviously against Brazil lol

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:33pm On Jun 17, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Sebi you just saw his pass to coutinho... You don't buy such class naa.... Victor moses is a top player for us but the gap in class between his impact factor and Neymar's is as far as the east is from the west...

Take note...

He's a top Player I agree, but he's damn show-boating too much. He's not playing for the Team, but to the Gallery.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:33pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

You haven't been able to disapprove Leow wasn't sentimental in his choices. It's not a enough saying Germans aren't sentimental. Although, being a world cup winner, he earned the right to make whatever choices on players, by sunset, he will be judged by those choices in victory or in defeat,just like today.
But you've not been able to prove it was sentiments that motivated his choice of players. He's been there since 2006. This is his third WC and even fourth if we include 06 in which he was an assistant to Klinsmann. He's been through 3 Euros. Now he picked players for the WC and your reason why he did so is that it was sentiments. There's no factual basis for your conclusions. That's why I said it's your opinion.

Sure he would be judged. In 2014 Spain couldn't make the second round and it was universally agreed that it was because they took an ageing team to WC.

All I'm saying is that your reason for this German loss doesn't hold water because you cannot prove that it was sentiments that motivated the coach's choice.

If him no carry Neuer now you'd probably say 'chai see this sentimental coach, he left a world class Neuer and picked other gk'

Human beings are sentimental but Germans are renowned to be straightforward, unsentimental people. And that's a very strong reason why I doubt your postulation particularly in the light of the fact that Loew didn't start yesterday. He knows the template of success and failure. He's likely to stick to it than to allow sentiments be cloud his judgment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
Very similar to what Ekong did. pure robbery from the ref. even the Swiss goal was a push. seems VAR is only used for specific teams grin grin grin
TheSuperNerd:
Chaaaiiii... Akanjumi just bulldozed and tactically wrestled Gabby J to the grass and it is not a penalty... Great from Akanji. Bossing Gabby J... Wow... Awesome... But some refs may give that as a pen shaa...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
I remember posting about the potential of Manuel Akanji on this page when he broke into the Basel team. We approached him only after he had given his word to Switzerland.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:35pm On Jun 17, 2018
pure push yet no VAR grin
TheSuperNerd:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:36pm On Jun 17, 2018
phreakabit:

Please stop basing your assertions on one offs.
he played there occasionally.
Same way Villa played as a false 9 for FCB
Same way Messi played as a false 9 under Guardiola .
Same way Mikel is playing as a CAM now..
His first game as a senior player was as an LM. He then started playing more as a AM/CM and playing occasionally out wide.
Here are the positions he played for Schalke
From 07/08 seasons

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 8:37pm On Jun 17, 2018
I think the Swiss are playing 3 - 5 - 1 - 1 Formation?!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
forgiveness:

When i dey tell dem about Akanji but dem say em no good enough despite the fact that the boy was obviously good and ready to play for Nigeria.

Na so Switzerland cap am and move go Dortmund for our very eyes.

Na so I talk about Lookman Ademola before e even start to dey shine, dem look d name forget ability begin call me names.

[/b]D one wey go pain me pass na Onomah[b]. If we miss dis one it will be painful.

Sheyi Ojo still dey dere. I know Eze is already in our pocket no need to worri but still need to be fast about it.

Deji-Beyreuther don show interest, Arnaut-Groeneveld don declare, Dessers etc but na Oyo dem dey till nau.

I hope after we do well in this World cup, we should improve the team. Even if we reach finals we still to bring in fresh legs.
Agreed. I've been following him lately and that guy will add a lot to this our midfield. NFF should be on his case

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
Tried with just 1 weak shot at go? did you see what Mitrovich did against costa rica? a lone striker coming even into his own half to right for balls when none came to him.
forgiveness:

It was a tactical game from both end but as you rightly said, Rohr didn’t use the right legs in the position.

Ighalo tried, I no go lie.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:43pm On Jun 17, 2018
The first goal he scored against Portugal was a solo goal he worked for on his own. had to beat 4 defenders to score.
tbaba1234:

A striker has to fight for the ball.. If Costa was waiting for chances to be placed on a platter, he will not score many of his goals. For the kind of role Ighalo plays, you must be a bully and fight for everything

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 8:47pm On Jun 17, 2018
LieDetector:
Victor moses has got serious lessons to learn from Shaqiri on how to cross. Switzerland be giving me joy this evening. Typical example of a world cup match. No team should be a walkover. We're the worst team after Saudi.

cant we have Shaquiri in our team ? if wishes were horses ... my wish tonight would have been having him in the squad . grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:50pm On Jun 17, 2018
somehow:
The first goal he scored against Portugal was a solo goal he worked for on his own. had to beat 4 defenders to score.

Exactly, we need a striker that offers that kind of danger.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 8:53pm On Jun 17, 2018
The questions that is bothering my ming are these:

Are we capable of unsettling things in our group? If YES, how?

Even if we go on to get a win against Iceland which is very unlikely considering our coaches' conservativeness and the players attitude, can we get atleast a draw from a Messi led Argentina who might fall or draw their next game against Croatia and be all out to vent their anger on us?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 8:56pm On Jun 17, 2018
We don't have any fighting center forwards again which is so sad. Ighalo is unfortunately not that kind of a forward sad
tbaba1234:

Exactly, we need a striker that offers that kind of danger.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4147) (4148) (4149) (4150) (4151) (4152) (4153) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.