Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,717 members, 7,816,951 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4152) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11660367 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4149) (4150) (4151) (4152) (4153) (4154) (4155) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:22pm On Jun 17, 2018
Icon4s:

That question was asked before the game kicked off.

Okocha'a inability to explain Mikel's role kept Zola gazing. He was still expecting the answer to the question he asked meanwhile Okocha just said nonsense.
I watched it. I don't think there was anything bad in what Okocha said.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2018
My aunt watched the Swiss game and was like "This people know what they want" ,when I told her the name of the country she answered "I never knew they had a football team"

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 9:24pm On Jun 17, 2018
LieDetector:
does that mean...
Nope it doesn't. It's only pointing to how strong their line of defense is and how solid their keeper is.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:26pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

LOL... these Arsenal fans. Who will you prefer Arsenal signs? Allison Backer? Oblak? Those guys are out of Arsenal's play group. You can only hope to get a tier 2 keeper like Leno or Sergio Rico.
Parvlenka, Hradecky and Rico are better options. I'd rather we take a punt on Lunin and Lafont. Leverkusen are replacing him with a better keeper in Hradecky. I don't care about his potential, Leno has been average for 2-3 seasons now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 9:27pm On Jun 17, 2018
[quote author=goldfish80 post=68579389]What an absorbing game the Swiss served up in the end.
Honestly speaking, our team looks a solid 3 levels below what I have seen from teams so far in this tournament.
We are streets behind teams like Switzerland and Mexico in terms of output.
These are countries we should be rubbing shoulders with. [/quote]

Those two teams are definitely our levels no two ways about that.

Bro you are not lying lol grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:28pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

Neuer barely played last season for Bayern because of injuries. No way I would have said Neuer should be there even if he barely played through out the season. Not when you have a couple of other world class choices in that same position.

Also, every coach have their favorite players and Germans are like every other human specie, they don't have an off switch when you talk of favoritism, loyalty and sentiment.
You clearly don't know anything about the German character. There are national traits: the English are renowned for their wry humour, the French for their lust, the Italians for their unbridled emotions. The chief trait of the German people is that they are not given to sentiments. That's why I told you that you are projecting your nigerianess into the German psyche.

It is said that Germans are so blunt that if you are not used to their ways you'd feel hurt. They tell it straight.

Do you know what Aryan means?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:30pm On Jun 17, 2018
Whatever happens, let's give Philip Anyanwu his first call up in september, he is the most ready of all, experience wise. At this age, Mikel shouldn't be starting our matches, he should be coming in to steady the ship late in the second half like Stephen Appiah did for Ghana in 2010.

Post worldcup, Etebo and Philip Billing should be our main CMs. But before then, we need to sack Rohr for a coach who will acknowledge Iwobi's creativity to play him as our AM.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
[quote author=Icon4s post=68576656]Manuel Akanji doing a good job.

I don't know how a veteran like Murphy Akanji would allow his son to play for Switzerland.[/quot

What has Nigeria done for him that his son must play for Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
Spy360:

So is Xhaka a DM?
Nope. He's a Regista. Always plays alongside a b2b destroyer.
Emery is trying to correct that by getting Torreira. My only worry is we'll still lack someone who is able to drive forward with the ball in a midfield of Xhaka - Torreira - Ramsey. Unless Emery will make Torreira like Kante but from what I've seen he likes staying behind the ball like Xhaka.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
forgiveness:

Two shots and an header. Watch again.

I no watch what Costa Rica match but if dat what you expected from a lone striker, Ighalo did exactly the same on many occasions.

Please, watch the match again.
please bro...with all due respect....
keep quiet...
what are you saying that Ighalo did same?
i have been reading your comments since yesterday....all watery with no reason in it..

it is not a must you comment to defend mediocrity.... when last did Ighalo scored for the super eagles...?
after 7 matches still on goal drought and the foolish excuse we keep getting is that he was being played as a lone striker...
is he the only lone striker played in the world...?
same goal drought he had in Watford prior his departure...maybe we should blame that on him being starved of balls upfront...

please I am sorry if my response look abusive...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
AIG07:
the boys are not psychologically ready for the big stage. I don't know what the team psychologist is doing?

They showed that attitude during the friendlies. Just remembered a scenerio where Rohr was shouting at them to stand up and go do some warm up at the sideline. They were just there smiling and reluctant.

It's a dream come through for most of them and They are still basking on the euphoria of qualifying for football's greatest showpiece. They were simply not mentally ready.

So annoying.
During the WCQ they fought using the same tactics that is now suspect.

Immediately the groupings was done Rohr began to sing a song titled 'we are the underdogs' and the same players who coasted to victory after victory during the WCQ have not been the same again. The coach is singing a song of defeat, the players dance it out on the pitch.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:33pm On Jun 17, 2018
forgiveness:

I hope it's right after the world cup and I hope we do very well in this World cup to attract these lads.
I just hope he and the likes of Ebere Eze don't get dissuaded by Aina getting dropped for WC.
Some might say it's crazy but these guys are young and will think like that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:33pm On Jun 17, 2018
Dannyxy:
My good friend mujtahida naso

They are world class.. Yes..

They play for big clubs.. yes..

But do you just lie down, and let them match upon upon anyhow?

Super eagles need to fight for naija, and taking shittt from this so called big names...

Match them toe for toe, then let them show us what makes them spectacular , no be say we go just sit down, and let them play average, and still win... Damn it

Btw, Croatia na nonsense, poor team, that will soon be exposed, except they improve too.
Croatia play ball, dem no even play nada. Nigeria weak me.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

During the WCQ they fought using the same tactics that is now suspect.

Immediately the groupings was done Rohr began to sing a song titled 'we are the underdogs' and the same players who coasted to victory after victory during the WCQ have not been the same again. The coach is singing a song of defeat, the players dance it out on the pitch.
that man has a failure mindset....
he is not a motivator...him and mikel is even worse off.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:34pm On Jun 17, 2018
phreakabit:

You do realize Sevilla played Unai Emery's typical 4-2-3-1? Meaning a double pivoted midfield consisting a CAM and 2 wingers..
As myself and edi287 have been discussing, in a 4-3-3 team with a more fluid CAM (Iniesta) he automatically becomes a CM not a CAM. Same applies to and is visible with him and Modric in Croatia.

Apart from his first season he was the most attack minded midfielder even under Unai Emery the numbers are there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nedville: 9:35pm On Jun 17, 2018
Sportilitica:
After watching Mexico, I have a question.
What is exactly wrong with our team
Why are we playing like this??
What can be done post World cup to prevent this same issue from happening over and over again.

Simple...we are cursed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:35pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:

I just hope he and the likes of Ebere Eze don't get dissuaded by Aina getting dropped for WC.
Some might say it's crazy but these guys are young and will think like that
if only our indigenous coaches....can drop this sentiments and corrupt practices in players selection..... I trust siasia and co to be better than rohr tactically....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:37pm On Jun 17, 2018
Akanji was just okay but not exceptional. He is not inventive and he is too scared to give forward passes. But he did okay and will improve for his team.

I wish him luck

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2018
somehow:

Hopefully he will do the right thing come 22nd..

We have no choice but to attack in that match, we dont win, we go home.

to this words to the bank....
some persons here are smarter than rohr...
wisdom is not in age...but in mindset...and attitude...

rohr's attitude shows fear all through starting from his post match conference....
his tactics are all rigid.....
I don't expect much from him...at all.
it will take a miracle for him to do the right thing prior next match....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:39pm On Jun 17, 2018
I believe that defeat and these days of being locked up having a bit of solid retrospection will help rekindle that fire the boys used to blaze through the WC qualifiers... It has to. It just has to... I don't know what else will. They know the expectations of the Nigerian populace.

They are talking seriously to themselves right now. I can imagine they just sat together or in different parts of the hotel camp in silence asking themselves if they are here to soil the name of the Nigerian Spirits or uphold its never say die tenacity.
I can imagine them making personal and united resolve to try rise better than they showed against Croatia... We just have to believe that they know what is at sake. I believe these guys will try do better. They have it in them. It is not as if we haven't seen this team rise to the challenge before. We have. But right now we are at a nadir point and we must fire ourselves up with reminders of what we are in Russia for.

The players will rise. I believe they will. Even if they go down they have to do so fighting and sweating. The team is young and have that strong seed of resilience, just that it seems to lie in a shocking dormant state... But I believe that seed will sprout again.

AIG07:
The power of self belief. How do we get it into those guys?

The Nigeria spirit of never giving up seems to be far from our players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:40pm On Jun 17, 2018
Dannyxy:
me,I don't have an issue with how they want to celebrate, heck I will dance with them too..
But this boys should fight, if we loose fighting, we accept our fate, but our eagles were limp, and played like cowards, we gave in too easily, at the 50th min i knew we would loose...

Even if they are 3 goals down in the 90min, they should fight, that's how you become champions, you show character and zest, real hunger then even elements will favor you at some point..

That's why I don't get the pessimistic lot that complain and whine here all day about our chances before we even started the competition..
Should have just told fifa, we are not going to play, because we are scared of Croatia, Iceland and Argentina?...
Fortune favors the brave- motto of Alexander the Great.

In Atlanta 96 we came back from 3-1 to knock Brazil out flat because we didn't just take their blows lying down. Dem give us, we give them, dem knack us, we knack them. At last we finished them off with a flourish worthy of a true champion.

I guess this SE don't know whose son they are. Dem go open leg for Croatia yakata make Croatia chook dem as them like. Our capitulation is really so painful.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:44pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

Na lie. Croatia gave us space. We didn't just know what to do with it.
Maybe you mistakenly watched Croatia U17 vs Nigeria U17 2OO9. Nonsense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eterisan(m): 9:45pm On Jun 17, 2018
I don't like criticizing how players, but their social media activities give me the impression that they are not in Russia for serious business... It's either fashion or singing and dancing or praise and worship. Are they on a religious/fashion /entertainment parade or are they in Russia to win...

I just don't understand.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2018
Humility017:

if only our indigenous coaches....can drop this sentiments and corrupt practices in players selection..... I trust siasia and co to be better than rohr tactically....
Oliseh is the one I thought would be perfect for us. But him ego go kill person. As of now, I can not think of any local coach I'd have coach us. It's sad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:49pm On Jun 17, 2018
What is Rohr official position? Technical Director or Head Coach?
If he's Technical director, is Salisu head coach? If yes - how much input does Salisu give in terms of tactics?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:51pm On Jun 17, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Maybe you mistakenly watched Croatia U17 vs Nigeria U17 2OO9. Nonsense.
You are becoming increasingly foul mouthed. I guess it's the booze. Quit the bottle before it do you in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2018
Endless fight and argument in here, abeg make una calm down o. cheesy grin grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 9:57pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:
What is Rohr official position? Technical Director or Head Coach?
If he's Technical director, is Salisu head coach? If yes - how much input does Salisu give in terms of tactics?
salisu is another dumb coach....
his likes are often folks who worship Europeans....because of their skin color....

see him sitting on the bench opening his white teeth.... Africans especially Nigerians have so much inferiority complex...it is a serious issue that needs to be solved.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

Fortune favors the brave- motto of Alexander the Great.

In Atlanta 96 we came back from 3-1 to knock Brazil out flat because we didn't just take their blows lying down. Dem give us, we give them, dem knack us, we knack them. At last we finished them off with a flourish worthy of a true champion.

I guess this SE don't know whose son they are. Dem go open leg for Croatia yakata make Croatia chook dem as them like. Our capitulation is really so painful.

Now you understand what i have been saying all these while since i watched Rohr post match comments after the England game.....

Since then i lost hope

There was something about tge way spoke that killed the fire in me

The way he spoke wasn't with the Nigerian 'never say die' spirit at all

He sounded defeated already even before the tournament began

Remember when we won Argentina last year, he was busy still saying we are underdogs, that we aren't matured yet... Bla bla bla

What utter rubbish angry

He doesn't know that in Nigeria we strive and survive on bragging

He thinks that this is oyinbo land where everything is gotten on a plater

SMH

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Some of you guys really are having fun gathering likes over obvious posts hitting on our boys and any slight hint of their social activity as if they just deliberately went there to fail. It is okay... Now is the season.... Have your fun.

But one thing I know is this: Those guys are not jokers. They showed fire and fight in the WC Qualifiers and will hopefully show so again. They just have to look within coz they have it in them. They have only failed to pull it out of themselves and soar. I hope to see a better SE team come Friday.

eterisan:
I don't like criticizing how players, but their social media activities give me the impression that they are not in Russia for serious business... It's either fashion or singing and dancing or praise and worship. Are they on a religious/fashion /entertainment parade or are they in Russia to win...

I just don't understand.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Icon4s:

Where do you put Ekong in the equation?
Ekong has always been solid defensively. I find it hard to blame any of our players. My concern is that a defeatist mentality has taken over the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
Mujtahida:

You clearly don't know anything about the German character. There are national traits: the English are renowned for their wry humour, the French for their lust, the Italians for their unbridled emotions. The chief trait of the German people is that they are not given to sentiments. That's why I told you that you are projecting your nigerianess into the German psyche.

It is said that Germans are so blunt that if you are not used to their ways you'd feel hurt. They tell it straight.

Do you know what Aryan means?
Those character profiling based on nationality makes for a nice read and nothing more.

I like being practical, we have our own German in Gernot Rohr, some of his decisions so far have been based on sheer sentiment. Will you tell me he's not German enough? How about Berti Vogts? On what ground did he drop Enyeama and instead opted for Austin Ejide?
Humans are always human. Forget those character prose.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4149) (4150) (4151) (4152) (4153) (4154) (4155) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: DrYa, Princezibk, komekn(m), kennysville(m), TheSuperNerd(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.