Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,628 members, 7,816,592 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:36 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4155) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11657521 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4152) (4153) (4154) (4155) (4156) (4157) (4158) ... (16148) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:56pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:
Happy birthday sir Goldfish80.
Thank you Mr Arsenal, Sir Edi287
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:58pm On Jun 17, 2018
edi287:

Man I don't see us beating both Iceland and Argentina. The game against Iceland will be too tough. They are just too organized. They won't even give us the space we got against croatia.

The 2 goals Ghana scored against them came from setpieces which we suck at.. I am just wondering how we can beat them if we don't work on making good use of our setpiece chances.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:59pm On Jun 17, 2018
forgiveness:

Because you said it. Simple

You're a lost cause.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:59pm On Jun 17, 2018
goldfish80:

Chan is a category 3 tournament rated by FIFA on par with Afcon. If a guy was out jumping very tall Sudanese players, trust me that person should be noted.
This idea of writing off homegrown solution is the reason we will never do well in a competition like the world cup.

The failings of foreign coaches employed by Nigeria in recent past can be traced to their jettison of home made solutions. We employ people who are not even resident in Nigeria. I saw your write up the other day complaining about Rohr and his lack of knowledge of Nigerian football culture, I smiled and scrolled past. How do you expect a man resident in France to understand the footballing culture of Nigeria? Vogts, Lagerback and now Rohr haven't managed to cracked it and they were all coaching Nigeria from Europe.
Compare these guys with Westerhof who helped develop Nigeria football from the grassroots. The man knew particular tribes where he will scout and get particular type of players.

Back to the issue of sentiments, trust me my Intel about Eze's performance didn't come from roadside bloggers. You will be shocked if I mentioned my source.
Even if your source is Rohr himself all I'm telling you is that all the talk about doing well in camp is something I disregard cos na for camp all our players dey do well, score goals and shine. Match day is match day. I don't reckon with players based on how they perform in camp. Experience has taught me not to do so.

For now our league is poor. Beyond that though I have never been a fan of the league and nothing will make me be, cos I never acquired the taste for it even though I admit that if we want to get it right we MIGHT have to look inwards.

I didn't even watch chan abi WAFU. In fact I found the enthusiasm of many here for those tournaments surprising. This is to tell you how cut off I am from our local football. I am just that way. But I agree that the league must be developed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:00am On Jun 18, 2018
edi287:

Man I don't see us beating both Iceland and Argentina. The game against Iceland will be too tough. They are just too organized. They won't even give us the space we got against croatia.

I never loose hope ooooooo and I expect we do well against Iceland.

What we need is to get an early goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:01am On Jun 18, 2018
Mujtahida:

It is not sentiments. It is that my choices were bad. Finish. Mind you if na naija coach I will agree with you 100% but as far as the facts of Rohr’s selection or Loew is concerned I will not agree particularly since you have nothing to ground your opinion other than saying so and so player is good. Therefore if the coach picked so and so other than so and so who WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER = sentiments.

So based on his showings don't you think Ebuehi WOULD HAVE done better than Shehu?

was it sentiments that made Rohr to choose Shehu ahead of Ebuehi?
Rohr had his team penciled down since January.
Do you know the line up that played Croatia was published on a Nigerian daily 2 months ago? The exception was Etebo who replaced Onazi for obvious reasons.
If a man is a slave to his ideology, then he is very sentimental.
Germans are not immune to this.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nextlevel2222: 12:05am On Jun 18, 2018
Humility017:

I tell you my brother.....
now he is trying to look for excuses...
I think he still don't know how Nigerians are so quick to forget...the good times when they keep getting served failures....

I expect him to resign honourably should Nigeria fail to grab up to 3 points from this group.....

Which 3points? If we can't qualify from the group stage, he should go. If we can call for the head of late Keshi and co when they failed, what makes Rohr exceptional. If he picked this team from the scratch to qualify us for the world cup, Keshi also did the same by winning the AFCON and qualify us to the second round at the world cup. Until he beats that record, otherwise he should be fired.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:17am On Jun 18, 2018
goldfish80:

Rohr had his team penciled down since January.
Do you know the line up that played Croatia was published on a Nigerian daily 2 months ago? The exception was Etebo who replaced Onazi for obvious reasons.
If a man is a slave to his ideology, then he is very sentimental.
Germans are not immune to this.
Being faithful to your ideology is not sentimental Bro. Perhaps doctrinaire or rigid. Sentiments as used by you in the context of our discussion doesn't align with the examples you are giving.
Obviously Rohr belongs to the you - never - change - winning - team old school football coaching philosophy.

I do not regard decisions based on practical realities to be sentimental. Edi287 has given you practical reasons why Loew possibly chose one player over the other. Rohr went with our best legs. Even in the wake of the defeat to Croatia nobody has queried his choice of the 23 players because they are the best available for us now. All the others are untested would- have, would - have players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 12:20am On Jun 18, 2018
I said this quite long ago and here comes the manifestation for everyone to see.

elunico:
I still don't think we've gotten it right with our midfield. I know you want to point out the depth we have in that area, but wait a minute.

Their style of play are similar, we've got Ndidi, Onazi, Agu and Agbo (only that he's a bit more disciplined when asked to shield the defense, otherwise he's just another tackling machine) Etebo is a workaholic like the rest, we won't miss him if he fails to make the final 23 to the WC, and I'm not really excited about his recent performance in Spain. It's really funny how Rohr expects his Midfield to blend when he takes out Mikel to bring in an Agu who's a destroyer to partner with other midfielders like Ndidi and Onazi.

The only different midfielders we currently have in the team are Mikel & Ogu. I'm simply not satisfied with the Midfield selection

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:27am On Jun 18, 2018
Humility017:

salisu is another dumb coach....
his likes are often folks who worship Europeans....because of their skin color....

see him sitting on the bench opening his white teeth.... Africans especially Nigerians have so much inferiority complex...it is a serious issue that needs to be solved.
The rate at which you call people dumb, stupid, foolish na wa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:39am On Jun 18, 2018
Mujtahida:

Being faithful to your ideology is not sentimental Bro. Perhaps doctrinaire or rigid. Sentiments as used by you in the context of our discussion doesn't align with the examples you are giving.
Obviously Rohr belongs to the you - never - change - winning - team old school football coaching philosophy.

I do not regard decisions based on practical realities to be sentimental. Edi287 has given you practical reasons why Loew possibly chose one player over the other. Rohr went with our best legs. Even in the wake of the defeat to Croatia nobody has queried his choice of the 23 players because they are the best available for us now. All the others are untested would- have, would - have players.
Anything can be explained. Do you think Hitler didn't have an explanation why he killed jews? Do you think Babangida didn't have an explanation why he annulled June 12? Edi287 spared a thought on why he felt certain players were excluded. It doesn't mean they were devoid of sentiments on the part of Loew.

A tendency to be influenced by emotion rather than reason or fact is the dictionary meaning of sentiment. There were no apparent reason or statistical fact why Loew dropped Germans most potent winger last season. What was the reason backed with data why Neuer was chosen ahead of Ter Stegen when Neuer hardly kicked a ball last season? Was Sami Khedira's stats better than Emre Can's who played up to the champions league finals.
If you can answer any of these questions with hard stats and data then I will conceed that Germans can never give into sentiments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 12:52am On Jun 18, 2018
#baller

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:58am On Jun 18, 2018
elunico:

I said this quite long ago and here comes the manifestation for everyone to see.

Rohr is a certified slowpoke! I never knew a day would come when I'd use such harsh words on him, but there you have it.

didn't he learn anything from all the friendlies we played? i just saw 3 minutes of the game and it wasn't difficult form me to see that he had reverted to his ineffective selection and tactics. Was he thinking he was gonna make 4 changes at a go as he was opportuned to do during friendly games?

start with the 3-man defence, stop playing iwobi on the wings, drop shehu for ebuehi, how are these things difficult to effect for God's sake? If we play well and lose, we won't complain as much as we are at the moment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:59am On Jun 18, 2018
A potential world class midfielder will be playing in Stoke this summer. Na wa

edi287:
#baller
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:01am On Jun 18, 2018
ChrisKels:
Akanji was just okay but not exceptional. He is not inventive and he is too scared to give forward passes. But he did okay and will improve for his team.

I wish him luck
lol, I concur, Awaziem is a better talent that's why one play with Nantes and the other one Dortmund

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:02am On Jun 18, 2018
We need a consortium of Nigerian coaches backed with foreign trainers, should Rohr fail.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:03am On Jun 18, 2018
Ighalo is a player i love and i have never hidden my affection for him even on this thread, but if he fails to do something about his poor goal return, this might as well be his last tournament appearance for us.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:07am On Jun 18, 2018
Joebie:

wrong move, I'm sure even without a minute of action in Russia, he'd be playing in Valencia next season or at least another Spanish or French team. Anyway I wish him the best at Stoke.

Mujtahida, my man, how you de na? it have tayed o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:14am On Jun 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

He has been mentioning me saying the same thing though.

O ok I get it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:17am On Jun 18, 2018
Joebie:

I knew that Stoke move was a bad ides
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:17am On Jun 18, 2018
Joebie:

Bro every time he did something good I got angry because I remembered he has to go to Stoke of all places after the world cup. I know people will come with all types of analysis to make me believe that was a good idea but I won't budge on this one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:19am On Jun 18, 2018
goldfish80:

Anything can be explained. Do you think Hitler didn't have an explanation why he killed jews? Do you think Babangida didn't have an explanation why he annulled June 12? Edi287 spared a thought on why he felt certain players were excluded. It doesn't mean they were devoid of sentiments on the part of Loew.

A tendency to be influenced by emotion rather than reason or fact is the dictionary meaning of sentiment. There were no apparent reason or statistical fact why Loew dropped Germans most potent winger last season. What was the reason backed with data why Neuer was chosen ahead of Ter Stegen when Neuer hardly kicked a ball last season? Was Sami Khedira's stats better than Emre Can's who played up to the champions league finals.
If you can answer any of these questions with hard stats and data then I will conceed that Germans can never give into sentiments
The bolded is a topic I studied on and off for 9 years. It's a big fat lie - yes the 6 million holocaust story is a lie. I have e- books and online sources I can direct you to.
Do you know that the popular Anne Frank Diary is a forgery? Dr Robert Faurisson convincingly proved it to be a forgery. Do you know that none of the labour camps had gas chambers? Do you know that questioning the historicity of the holocaust as in asking questions whether it occurred or not is a crime in at least 17 countries and that Ernst Zundel died in prison for questioning the holocaust. Currently as we speak Moniker schaeffer and Ursula Haverbeck (she is above 80 years old) are is in prison for denying the holocaust. David Irving(foremost historian on Hitler. I have an e-copy of his book 'Hitler's War') was sentenced to three years imprisonment in the UK. Meanwhile Arthur Topham in Canada stood trial and has been banned from publishing. Allison Chabloz is currently standing trial in the UK for singing holocaust denying songs. People question all sort of things even the existence of God without any consequences. Why is the holocaust an exception? I can go on and on but let me stop.

This is why I said your thinking on this matter is just your opinion and a simplistic one at that: a coach picks one player ahead of the other and you automatically say it's sentiments. In context what you mean is not that the decision was prompted by emotion or feeling but by bias, by prejudice. And even if you go by your dictionary meaning I have told you and it is well known that Germans are less prone to make decisions based on emotions.
Suddenly a coach who has been there since 2006 choses players to prosecute the WC and then you tie it to sentiments. And shockingly you are so sure of it. What you are saying is that if I cannot give you any reason then automatically your opinion that his decision was prompted by bias and prejudice is the reason for his decision and no other.

you mentioned fitness and sentiments in the same breath and I showed you that you are wrong cos they had same concerns in 2014. Edi28 has given you reasons why the coach dropped the players he dropped but you said that's his thoughts but yours nko? What are they? Facts? No. They are opinions.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:20am On Jun 18, 2018
jihday:
lol, I concur, Awaziem is a better talent that's why one play with Nantes and the other one Dortmund

Dembele played at Nantes. But did you guys see the nutmeg he did in his own half under pressure? Nerves of steel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:21am On Jun 18, 2018
junnyjake:

wrong move, I'm sure even without a minute of action in Russia, he'd be playing in Valencia next season or at least another Spanish or French team. Anyway I wish him the best at Stoke.

Mujtahida, my man, how you de na? it have tayed o.
My guy na pain we dey inside here ooo thanks to SE. But we gallant sha. How you dey. Long time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:49am On Jun 18, 2018
Squawka Football‏ @Squawka

Oghenekaro Etebo has completed the most take-ons in a single game at the 2018 #WorldCup after the first four days.

• 9 attempted
• 9 completed

Perfect dribbling display. �

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 3:34am On Jun 18, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Squawka Football‏ @Squawka

Oghenekaro Etebo has completed the most take-ons in a single game at the 2018 #WorldCup after the first four days.

• 9 attempted
• 9 completed

Perfect dribbling display. �

Na dribbling we go chop ? Lol. For his first game at the biggest stage, he tried but for the connection between the defence and the attack, he was too indecisive. He kept passing backwards to the extent that Leon Balogun was the one that had to initiate passes up field to the attacking players.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 3:53am On Jun 18, 2018
forgiveness:

I totally agree with the organizations and system of play was spot on. It really confused the Croats because they never expected us to play that system and to be even organized.

They expected 3-5-2 formation though they had planned for the 4-3-3 Formation too but they never expected us to cover up for our weak wing backs with our wingers because they knew that was our weakness and planned to utilize the wings.

However, it was tasking and tiring for our wingers to defend and attack at the same time. That was why Iwobi got tired easily.

It could have been better he played Etebo who has the energy to burn like Simon Moses on the wing, play Mikel from the deep and then move Iwobi behind Ighalo as soon as he realised Iwobi tire. At least, em go rest small and later pick up.

Iwobi didn't have that energy and he couldn't offer upfront on the wings hence the reason we saw only Victor Moses doing all the attacking moves.

This is why wingers are very important in our game.

Anyway, we blocked that place well until Ahmed Musa came on and we saw the only chance they had on the wing.

Apparently, he was tasked to do more of attacking and less defending because we were in search of goal.

The only problem was the AMF and wingers save Victor Moses, didn't come to the party.

They left Ighalo to create chances by himself. If Ighalo had the support of Iwobi yesterday, we for score.

I rate Ighalo 8/10 because he did his job well. He drew fouls, won balls, created half chances by himself etc.

He should start the next match with either Iwobi or Simy.

You don’t wish us well at all. You say Wetin? Make ighalo start? Kai, why you wicked like this, abeg fear God

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:54am On Jun 18, 2018
tbaba1234:
Nigeria can still make it out of the group but we need much better showings in subsequent games.

An Iceland win is a must!!!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 4:41am On Jun 18, 2018
Mujtahida:

[/b]The bolded is a topic I studied on and off for 9 years. It's a big fat lie - yes the 6 million holocaust story is a lie. I have e- books and online sources I can direct you to.[b]
Do you know that the popular Anne Frank Diary is a forgery? Dr Robert Faurisson convincingly proved it to be a forgery. Do you know that none of the labour camps had gas chambers? Do you know that questioning the historicity of the holocaust as in asking questions whether it occurred or not is a crime in at least 17 countries and that Ernst Zundel died in prison for questioning the holocaust. Currently as we speak Moniker schaeffer and Ursula Haverbeck (she is above 80 years old) are is in prison for denying the holocaust. David Irving(foremost historian on Hitler. I have an e-copy of his book 'Hitler's War') was sentenced to three years imprisonment in the UK. Meanwhile Arthur Topham in Canada stood trial and has been banned from publishing. Allison Chabloz is currently standing trial in the UK for singing holocaust denying songs. People question all sort of things even the existence of God without any consequences. Why is the holocaust an exception? I can go on and on but let me stop.

This is why I said your thinking on this matter is just your opinion and a simplistic one at that: a coach picks one player ahead of the other and you automatically say it's sentiments. In context what you mean is not that the decision was prompted by emotion or feeling but by bias, by prejudice. And even if you go by your dictionary meaning I have told you and it is well known that Germans are less prone to make decisions based on emotions.
Suddenly a coach who has been there since 2006 choses players to prosecute the WC and then you tie it to sentiments. And shockingly you are so sure of it. What you are saying is that if I cannot give you any reason then automatically your opinion that his decision was prompted by bias and prejudice is the reason for his decision and no other.

you mentioned fitness and sentiments in the same breath and I showed you that you are wrong cos they had same concerns in 2014. Edi28 has given you reasons why the coach dropped the players he dropped but you said that's his thoughts but yours nko? What are they? Facts? No. They are opinions.
This is interesting. Please do
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:58am On Jun 18, 2018
tbaba1234:

Oga, why do you keep mentioning me??

No vex cool,person wey get nairaland self,dem dey mention him name, grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 4:59am On Jun 18, 2018
Mujtahida:

Ebuehi wey we never cap. E go do us like film.

Ebuehi is save e don already go World Cup even if e no play okay,nothing to be worried of because he is already tied

(1) (2) (3) ... (4152) (4153) (4154) (4155) (4156) (4157) (4158) ... (16148) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: caprikon, opes, uchenna55, lakesidepapa(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.