Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,971 members, 7,821,401 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (445) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11708826 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) ... (16161) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tarzaa(m): 11:51pm On Jan 07, 2017
Congratulations. Wishing him success.
terzurum5:
Ex Chelsea Ace Mikel To Open Chinese Adventure With German Test

Captain of the senior Nigeria national team John Obi Mikel will begin his career with Chinese side Tianjin Teda on the 11th of January 2017.

Mikel officially joined the Chinese side two days back after passing a routine medical check up, bringing to an end a ten and half year stay at Stamford Bridge.

Reports has it that the 29 year old will command a weekly wage of £140,000, twice his earning at his former side Chelsea although there has been no official confirmation of his pay.

In four days time Mikel is expected to be dressed for Tianjin Teda when they take on German side Borussia Monchengladbach in a friendly game.

If he doesn’t take part in the tie, he will be expected to be in the line up when they take on another German side St. Pauli on the 14th in another friendly encounter.

He is expected to play in one of the two games before they take on Romanian side Dinamo Bucuresti in their last test game ahead of the start of the Chineses Super League in February.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/07/ex-chelsea-ace-mikel-to-open-chinese-adventure-with-german-test/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:52am On Jan 08, 2017
http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4079/features/2016/12/26/30859082/is-kelechi-iheanacho-fighting-a-losing-battle-at-manchester

I just still want to turn a blind eye to this revealing piece.... sad

How much hope can we continue to use to shield the truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:24am On Jan 08, 2017
daveP:
http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4079/features/2016/12/26/30859082/is-kelechi-iheanacho-fighting-a-losing-battle-at-manchester

Representing your country is the most important thing for a professional—the greatest honour, in fact—and Pep denying the forward that experience was a huge ‘red flag’.

So Pep not allowing Iheanacho go for the Olympics is a red flag. What of he other Nigerians like Ndidi and Simon Moses that their coaches did not allow play the Olympics. Were those green flags?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:29am On Jan 08, 2017
daveP:

There’s also a feeling that Guardiola doesn’t trust the forward’s ability as much as his predecessor did, and that the Spaniard is just waiting for someone better to come along and take a spot in the squad as Sergio Aguero’s back-up.

The same Guardiola who refused to make a big attacking signing, is not waiting for someone to take Iheanacho's spot.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:31am On Jan 08, 2017
daveP:

OnlyGodCanJudgeMe @fabolous3d
I just dey pity #Iheanacho cos Nolito seem to be delivering the goods and G.Jesus is coming in January... a lot of pressure to perform

The same Nolito that finds it hard to see regular games is delivering the goods. Haaaa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:36am On Jan 08, 2017
daveP:

Guardiola already said Gabriel Jesus is not a direct threat to the strikers. That is Iheanacho and Aguero. So all these stories is still long. Iheanacho needs to keep working hard and improving. That is the most important thing now.

Sane was brilliant against Arsenal and until now, I do not remember him playing a game. Does that mean Sane is not a Pep player?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:37am On Jan 08, 2017
daveP:

This is exactly what i have been saying here...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:59am On Jan 08, 2017
after watching iwobi play no. 10 in the absence of ozil.... I must say am really impressed ..

dude is very calm and attacking minded... cool touches, good passes, nice driblles and hold of ball...

infact ozil should watch his back... (he should watch his mouth when next he is asking for salary increase..)

atleast we got a lwf, lmf, cmf, and attacking mildfilder all in one..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:31am On Jan 08, 2017
krattoss:
after watching iwobi play no. 10 in the absence of ozil.... I must say am really impressed ..

dude is very calm and attacking minded... cool touches, good passes, nice driblles and hold of ball...

infact ozil should watch his back... (he should watch his mouth when next he is asking for salary increase..)

Eh, Iwobi played as a RMF very well last season. Your positions are not complete. We have a very promising generation. Their multiple roles make them even more special.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 7:52am On Jan 08, 2017
He’s Like A Young Vieira – How Leicester City Fans Reacted To Ndidi Debut On Twitter

Leicester City £15m January signing Wilfred Ndidi made his debut for the team in their 2-1 win over Everton in the FA Cup.

Ndidi was handed his first start by Manager Claudio Ranieri, despite the fact that he has only trained with the squad twice following the confirmation of his transfer from Genk of Belgium.

Owngoalnigeria.com bring to you the reactions of fans of the club on twitter after his debut for the team, who are hoping he will fill the void created by the departure of French midfielder N’golo Kante.

See Tweets.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/08/hes-like-a-young-vieira-how-leicester-city-fans-reacted-to-ndidi-debut-on-twitter/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 7:58am On Jan 08, 2017
Stoke City Manager Hughes Salute Ikeme’s Performance After Cup Upset

Manager of Stoke City Mark Hughes has credited the performance of Wolverhampton Wanderers shot stopper Carl Ikeme as part of this reason why his team suffered a shock cup exit.

Championship side Wolves dumped their elite opponents right in front of their fans with strike from Helder Costa and Matt Doherty, but Hughes believes his side were denied by Ikeme’s brilliance between the sticks for Wolves.
” You need luck, their keeper (Ikeme) made several saves, but ultimately we weren’t good enough on the day and we have to give them credit”, Hughes said after the game.

Ikeme had a quiet first half when his team were leading 1-0, but expectedly had a lot to do in the second half as Stoke push for an equaliser to force the tie into a replay.

His first major save of note was from Arnautovic 15 yard effort which he did well to push wide with a strong pair of hands, before producing another top class save to deny Affelay with a full range dive.

Joe Allen was next to try his luck with a long range effort but just Ikeme was once again to deny him with another top class save, moments before his team’s second
goal of the game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:20am On Jan 08, 2017
This is very nice of Ranieri.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:12am On Jan 08, 2017
shogz89:
Stoke City Manager Hughes Salute Ikeme’s Performance After Cup Upset

Manager of Stoke City Mark Hughes has credited the performance of Wolverhampton Wanderers shot stopper Carl Ikeme as part of this reason why his team suffered a shock cup exit.

Championship side Wolves dumped their elite opponents right in front of their fans with strike from Helder Costa and Matt Doherty, but Hughes believes his side were denied by Ikeme’s brilliance between the sticks for Wolves.
” You need luck, their keeper (Ikeme) made several saves, but ultimately we weren’t good enough on the day and we have to give them credit”, Hughes said after the game.

Ikeme had a quiet first half when his team were leading 1-0, but expectedly had a lot to do in the second half as Stoke push for an equaliser to force the tie into a replay.

His first major save of note was from Arnautovic 15 yard effort which he did well to push wide with a strong pair of hands, before producing another top class save to deny Affelay with a full range dive.

Joe Allen was next to try his luck with a long range effort but just Ikeme was once again to deny him with another top class save, moments before his team’s second
goal of the game.

I think Carl is capable of playing in the premier league, i hope he gets that chance sooner than later.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:21am On Jan 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Guardiola already said Gabriel Jesus is not a direct threat to the strikers. That is Iheanacho and Aguero. So all these stories is still long. Iheanacho needs to keep working hard and improving. That is the most important thing now.

Sane was brilliant against Arsenal and until now, I do not remember him playing a game. Does that mean Sane is not a Pep player?

The fact is Nigerians are the ones unsettling Iheanacho. The boy says he is happy but we keep saying he should go on loan. Till Iheanacho says he wants out we have to support him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:42am On Jan 08, 2017
terzurum5:
“Oyibo Clash” – Ebuehi Shows Versatility For ADO Den Haag In Battle Against Leon Balogun

Latest Super Eagles defender Tyronne Ebuehi came up against established Eagles man Leon Balogun as ADO Den Haag forced Mainz 05 to a 1-1 draw in a friendly tie.

Ebuehi started on the right while Balogun was introduced as a substitute as he continues to work his way back to full fitness, after shaking off the injury that kept him out of the team’s final round of games towards the end of the first stanza in Germany.

While Balogun slotted in effortlessly in his role as a central defender after coming on with his side leading 1-0, while Ebuehi who lasted the entire duration of the game played in two different roles.

He started as a right full back but ended the game as a left full back, one of the trait that coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr talked about when confirming his availability for Eagles upcoming friendly tie.

The fact that he excelled in both roles will gladden the heart of fans of Super Eagles who are concerned about the full back issues of the team, as noticed during the World Cup 2018 qualifiers.

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/01/06/oyibo-clash-ebuehi-shows-versatility-for-ado-den-haag-in-battle-against-leon-balogun/
Yea i watched d match live,d guy is promising,very comfortable in d right and left full backs.I watched d match coz of him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
That isn't Ranieri. The handle was even tweeting while the match was going on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:48am On Jan 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Not Ranieri
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:49am On Jan 08, 2017
komekn:
Are u saying Mikel perseverance has to do with £80k irrespective whether is playing or not and not hungry means d guy wasn't ambitious.

Kog45
Firstly I said he was on £80k+ with every year and with savvy renegotiation from a good agent he shouldn't be less on on less than £120k a week.

Have no doubt £££ $$$ €€€ is still at the heart of the matter, maximising your income is still the core issue. Playing good football in a nice city with a Manager that has confidence in you are other considerations that are relative and subject to player preference.

Mikel has ABSOLUTELY nothing to prove near 10 years in a top team in a top league at the top of his game. His achievements are excellent and he still has a lot more to give in football.

One man's ambition is another man's failure, what is a successful career in football very open to debate. Mikel will always be in the Nigerian Hall of fame.
Thank u for mature response,that's why i always respect your opinions on this thread.!thumb up
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:56am On Jan 08, 2017
bataderemi:

That isn't Ranieri. The handle was even tweeting while the match was going on.

Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:56am On Jan 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

Not Ranieri

Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:51pm On Jan 08, 2017
Hello guys happy New Year again great to see Nigerian players continuing where they left off last year with good performances. Nice to see Wilfred gets his debut and from reports it seems he was impressive good to see musa on the scorers sheet too.
Was also impressed watching Alex play for Arsenal yesterday his passing game was decent but he needs to work more on his link up play with his Forwards also needs to improve his stamina I'm glad he got 90 minutes to improve his fitness. I cannot end my post without Hailing our National team captain and Chelsea Legend John obi mikel wish you all the best in China

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Pavarotti: 2:42pm On Jan 08, 2017

An Argument that has been generating a lot of buzz on social media

I believe the below settles it

http://www.soccerassembly.com/mikel-chelsea-legend/

Hear John Terry “ I would like to wish this LEGEND of a player and Man all the very best with his move to China”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 6:52pm On Jan 08, 2017
chrisooblog:
Hello guys happy New Year again great to see Nigerian players continuing where they left off last year with good performances. Nice to see Wilfred gets his debut and from reports it seems he was impressive good to see musa on the scorers sheet too.
Was also impressed watching Alex play for Arsenal yesterday his passing game was decent but he needs to work more on his link up play with his Forwards also needs to improve his stamina I'm glad he got 90 minutes to improve his fitness. I cannot end my post without Hailing our National team captain and Chelsea Legend John obi mikel wish you all the best in China
You have to consider Iwobi is a play maker who trives on quick touches and movements. Playing him with ball stoppers like Giroud and Ramsey will simply not work.
It's like asking a sleek sports car to do the job of a tractor.

As for his stamina, you have to Consider his age. People forget Iwobi is only 20. Physically, he will get in the peak of his power/stamina in the next 3-4yrs.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:11pm On Jan 08, 2017
krattoss:

Preston North End dominated Arsenal with Iwobi as the focal point, Iwobi was good he was not brilliant, he did not impose himself in the game, he was doing what he used to do as a LMF in the center, passing passing and passing. that was good but it wasn't fantastic, if he plays like that against a half decent opposition, they'd lose by 6 goals atleast

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:15pm On Jan 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Representing your country is the most important thing for a professional—the greatest honour, in fact—and Pep denying the forward that experience was a huge ‘red flag’.

So Pep not allowing Iheanacho go for the Olympics is a red flag. What of he other Nigerians like Ndidi and Simon Moses that their coaches did not allow play the Olympics. Were those green flags?

the problem here is that when Barcelona wanted to stop Messi from going to the Olympics it was the same Pep who told them to let him go to the Olympics because he believes every player deserves to go to the Olympics at the right time. Messi went to the 2008 Olympics and won it, 8 years later, it is the same case with Iheanacho and he turns to a pure hypocrite, don't you see the basic point there?!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:19pm On Jan 08, 2017
Mickael2:

Preston North End dominated Arsenal with Iwobi as the focal point, Iwobi was good he was not brilliant, he did not impose himself in the game, he was doing what he used to do as a LMF in the center, passing passing and passing. that was good but it wasn't fantastic, if he plays like that against a half decent opposition, they'd lose by 6 goals atleast

The whole Arsenal team was atrocious in the first half, It had nothing to do with Iwobi. You can't single-out one player. The team was not motivated for the game.

Iwobi held up four players to lay the goal for Ramsey and had a much better second half.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:24pm On Jan 08, 2017
tbaba1234:

The whole Arsenal team was atrocious in the first half, It had nothing to do with Iwobi. You can't single-out one player. The team was not motivated for the game.

Iwobi held up four players to lay the goal for Ramsey and had a much better second half.

when your team is disjointed like Arsenal, it us easily because the link between your attack and defence isn't functioning and that was Iwobi's primary function. like I said he was okay, but he wasn't brilliant

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2017
Mickael2:

the problem here is that when Barcelona wanted to stop Messi from going to the Olympics it was the same Pep who told them to let him go to the Olympics because he believes every player deserves to go to the Olympics at the right time. Messi went to the 2008 Olympics and won it, 8 years later, it is the same case with Iheanacho and he turns to a pure hypocrite, don't you see the basic point there?!

So you think Guardiola allowing Iheanacho go for the Olympics will show he values Iheanacho in the team. Even before the call up, I knew it was not possible because Guardiola was coming with a new style and system.

All the players needed to adapt fast to his system. Iheanacho going for the Olympics will mean Guardiola getting a back up striker for the season.

Guardiola stopping heanacho going for the Olympics showed he values Iheanacho.

I do not see why him allowing Messi go means he does not value Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:39pm On Jan 08, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

So you think Guardiola allowing Iheanacho go for the Olympics will show he values Iheanacho in the team. Even before the call up, I knew it was not possible because Guardiola was coming with a new style and system.

All the players needed to adapt fast to his system. Iheanacho going for the Olympics will mean Guardiola getting a back up striker for the season.

Guardiola stopping heanacho going for the Olympics showed he values Iheanacho.

I do not see why him allowing Messi go means he does not value Iheanacho.

No, it means he is a hypocrite since he has one set of rules for blacks and another for whites. when pep came in, he replaced Riijkard's system entirely, that was in 2008, yet he allowed Messi to go to the Olympics. now you are telling me that he didn't allow Iheanacho to go because he values him? how does that make any sense to you?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:46pm On Jan 08, 2017
Mickael2:

No, it means he is a hypocrite since he has one set of rules for blacks and another for whites. when pep came in, he replaced Riijkard's system entirely, that was in 2008, yet he allowed Messi to go to the Olympics. now you are telling me that he didn't allow Iheanacho to go because he values him? how does that make any sense to you?

How can you say he replace Rijkaard's system entirely? Rijkaard uses the press system when Barcelona loses the ball. Guardiola does too. Pellegrini on the other hand prefers his team to fall back and hold their line when the lose the ball. So it is not changing the system entirely.

Secondly, Guardiola had a young brilliant Pedro, Henry and Eto'o who are natural forwards. At City we have only Iheanacho and Aguero. It was impossible for Guardiola to let Iheanacho go. If he did, it meant he did not value Nacho.

Fortunately, Guardiola did an decided to keep Iheanacho. It is not hypocrisy but the only option.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:49pm On Jan 08, 2017
Mickael2:

Guardiola values Messi and Iheanacho. Unfortunately, in our case, it was a totally new identity Guardiola is to build. Iheanacho going for the Olympics will mean missing out.

You are also not considering the fact that Messi grew up in the Barcelona academy. Things and Philosophy he learnt as a kid is what Guardiola taught during the preseason.

It was impossible to let Nacho go. He is too important to Guardiola.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:21am On Jan 09, 2017
Mickael2:

iwobi was doing now exactly what he is supposed to do..passing passing and passing...thats the work of a central midfielder....

holding out pressure from opponent's should be the more of the work of defensive milder which was xhaka and Ramsey..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (442) (443) (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) ... (16161) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Softbreastt and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.