Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,905 members, 7,817,682 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (692) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11668803 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:56pm On Mar 23, 2017
Jefersoun:
Ok to sum it up, unfortunately federal character. Yes i know it sounds odd and weird.

No na. I dnt think so.

Musa, though has not been at his best of late, has been a strong member of this team. Remember his brace against Argentina and his power strike against SA in the last friendly game we played against them.

I have suggested that he b converted to a supporting striker.

Besides, Ahmed Musa has passed his peak.

He peaked around 2014-2015 but meanwhile he is just 24.

Aha! who was i pointing out to the other day that most West African strikers peak between 21 and 25?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:57pm On Mar 23, 2017
safarigirl:
lol...so because he scored two goals in a match in the world cup, he deserves a constant spot in the team?

Even Goetze that scored Germany's winner at the finals is struggling to keep his place in same team. Mba that won us AFCON with his goal hasn't featured for the team in 3 years. So, why should Musa have a permanent spot?

Na all this sentimental BS dey make Naija coaches field yeye teams mostly

Football is not played with emotions, anybody is expendable, Rohr is not indebted to anybody and neither is Nigeria. The two goals Musa scored na only for am, it did not put Nigeria on any pedestal in world football, it boosted his CV, but e no even affect our FIFA ranking

Maybe if he had scored the goal to take us to a World Cup Semi-final, we would keep him in the team till he's ready to leave

this is the exact same thing destroying all the sectors of the Nigerian economy. you see a doctor with a surgery success rate of well below 60% but because he carried out a successful heart surgery almost 20 years ago he will still be the leader of the team. makes absolutely zero sense

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:58pm On Mar 23, 2017
Jefersoun:
Ok to sum it up, unfortunately federal character. Yes i know it sounds odd and weird.
don't worry, Shehu Abdullahi is still in the team if na Federal Character dey hold Musa grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:58pm On Mar 23, 2017
Those Senegalese sef..... their wahala is too much... is it because of the misinformation that they haven't beaten us in 40yrs??

But they beat us as recently as 2002 naa.... with their golden generation.

Today... they meant to harm our boys and I hope Onazi and Musa are back in no time... but ahead of Cameroon... both won't be missed shaa... but bottom line... we need every soldier and our best even from the bench.

tbaba1234:
Gernot Rohr on Onazi: "He suffered a serious back injury. He'll have a scan to ascertain the extent of his injury. We'll observe Musa too."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 11:59pm On Mar 23, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Help tell Certitude that Yara Yara is a strong Homie who likes the beautiful female medical students that work in the secret lab.
wat!... ok. correction taken.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2017
tbaba1234:
Rohr: "We chose Senegal to prepare us for a physical Cameroon. We don't have the power of Senegal but we are learning and getting there."
i like dis guy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Sub role. I think he can operate from both flanks.

So who de we drop from the squad to accommodate Onyekuru. U know only 18players make match day squads.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:00am On Mar 24, 2017
Chrismario:

Suarez, lewandowski, cavani, higuain, lukaku, kane, bezema, Aubameyang, iheanacho and G. Jesus grin

Your choice, your opinion, you are entitled to it. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:00am On Mar 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

You know Sir GoodJoe.... I always smile when Iheanacho is always the one people wanna criticise for every turn he makes.... what about Iwobi today he was downright poor but yeah we know why.... he is kinda not yet used to the physical "jam body" aspect of African football.... with Experience.... **chaiii... licensed word owned by the archguardian himself, Sir Icon4s** .... he will learn wink

Also... Iheanacho took almost all if not all our setpieces today and was on point mosr of the times.... he did his best to battle koulibaly and co.... Nacho wom the penalty and whem i saw he was the one to take it.... i just started shouting goal because I have never seen Nacho miss a penalty.... and he may never ever miss coz he is that good from the spot.... **remember his first spotkick for city as a 17yr old in the USA**

So plsss.... nacho had a good game though not a spectacular one.... but it is good he scored and his influence on the team shows that he cannot continue to warm that nonsense bench at City.... pep I like as a tactical coach but not as a manager (man manager).... Nacho needs an environment to blossom.... this is his generation sprouting up fast... and now add mbappe and Dybala to the equation.... Nacho needs to shine more... abeg...

I see this phase as Nacho preparing for his exams and when he gets playing time or moves to another as the exams where he excels.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CODMOK: 12:01am On Mar 24, 2017
Nigeria vs Senegal: Ahmed Musa steps down as assistant captain of Super Eagles

Leicester City winger, Ahmed Musa, has stepped down as assistant captain of the Super Eagles team.

Musa informed coach Gernot Rohr of his decision, just before the kick off of their friendly match against Senegal, at The Hive Stadium in London.

This development was confirmed by BBC reporter, Oluwashina Okeleji via his Twitter account.

He wrote: “Breaking: Leicester City winger Ahmed Musa has stepped down as assistant captain of #Nigeria ahead of tonight’s friendly against #Senegal.”

Musa was appointed as assistant captain to John Obi Mikel exactly one year ago.

The 24-year-old who had replaced Vincent Enyeama as skipper until then, handed over to Mikel Obi.

“I want to announce now that from today, John Obi Mikel is our new captain,” Musa said at the Eagles’ press conference, ahead of Friday’s AFCON 2017 qualifier against Egypt in March 2016.

He started the friendly against Senegal alongside Kelechi Iheanacho and Simon Moses in attack.

http://dailypost.ng/2017/03/23/nigeria-vs-senegal-ahmed-musa-steps-assistant-captain-super-eagles/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01am On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:

So who de we drop from the squad to accommodate Onyekuru. U know only 18players make match day squads.

I said a sub role. Not as a starter yet. That goes to, Simon Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 12:01am On Mar 24, 2017
safarigirl:
don't worry, Shehu Abdullahi is still in the team if na Federal Character dey hold Musa grin
shehu abdullahi is not a regular
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:02am On Mar 24, 2017
Mickael2:

this is the exact same thing destroying all the sectors of the Nigerian economy. you see a doctor with a surgery success rate of well below 60% but because he carried out a successful heart surgery almost 20 years ago he will still be the leader of the team. makes absolutely zero sense
honestly, it is a moot point

Who Musa 2 goals help for the WC? No be only Musa the thing help? Did it take us anywhere we haven't already been to?

We are talking of qualifying for WC and possibly reaching the last 4 and you want us to be managing an impotent striker because he scored a brace in ONE game 3 years ago. How?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:02am On Mar 24, 2017
Oga Sir.... I have been quite "Engaged" I must confess. But I just had to try to not miss the party of today.... Coz I was sure even without Mikel and moses... that Senegalese team won't beat us.

So much for being the stronger on paper.... grin

Kudos to you all here who held sway....

OMANBALA1:

Nerdy, where have you been?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:02am On Mar 24, 2017
safarigirl:
lol...so because he scored two goals in a match in the world cup, he deserves a constant spot in the team?

Even Goetze that scored Germany's winner at the finals is struggling to keep his place in same team. Mba that won us AFCON with his goal hasn't featured for the team in 3 years. So, why should Musa have a permanent spot?

Na all this sentimental BS dey make Naija coaches field yeye teams mostly

Football is not played with emotions, anybody is expendable, Rohr is not indebted to anybody and neither is Nigeria. The two goals Musa scored na only for am, it did not put Nigeria on any pedestal in world football, it boosted his CV, but e no even affect our FIFA ranking

Maybe if he had scored the goal to take us to a World Cup Semi-final, we would keep him in the team till he's ready to leave

Wetin I do u na? I never even park and u dey my case. That was not the angle I was heading towards. Nobody besides Musa has ever scored a brace for Nigeria so it makes sense that he is remembered for that and that was why i asked who else scored 2 goals?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:03am On Mar 24, 2017
forgiveness:

Your choice, your opinion, you are entitled to it. grin

grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:03am On Mar 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I said a sub role. Not as a starter yet. That goes to, Simon Moses.
You drop Simon Moses for Onyekuru?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:04am On Mar 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

How many Nigerians have scored 2 goals in a match at the world cup?

One thing I don't do is argue blindly. And I also hate reasoning parochially. Did I contradict ur fact? Ain't we saying same thing? Yea he scored two against the Argies and I give him credit for that. But I still maintain by stance, maybe u c it as a damning verdict. Prior to those two goals against the Argies, Musa had not done anything as spectacular and he hasn't been able to achieve same fit ever again. Maybe u didn't understand the world HIGHLIGHT. quote me outta context again or maybe get my message misconstrued just to undermine the claims, and I no go reply u again sir.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:05am On Mar 24, 2017
Jefersoun:
shehu abdullahi is not a regular
Neither is Musa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:05am On Mar 24, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Wetin I do u na? I never even park and u dey my case. That was not the angle I was heading towards. Nobody besides Musa has ever scored a brace for Nigeria so it makes sense that he is remembered for that and that was why i asked who else scored 2 goals?
we dey find who go score hat trick. Hopefully, when we get to Russia, Musa will act like Kante during Leicester v. Sevilla and be clapping for his replacement in the stands grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 12:05am On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:

No na. I dnt think so.

Musa, though has not been at his best of late, has been a strong member of this team. Remember his brace against Argentina and his power strike against SA in the last friendly game we played against them.

I have suggested that he b converted to a supporting striker.

Besides, Ahmed Musa has passed his peak.

He peaked around 2014-2015 but meanwhile he is just 24.

Aha! who was i pointing out to the other day that most West African strikers peak between 21 and 25?
Yes i know musa is a decent player, but he needs to be totally disastrous for him to be dropped. Trust me i know what am saying.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:05am On Mar 24, 2017
Aliou Cisse thinks the result was fair as both teams had chances to win the game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:07am On Mar 24, 2017
tbaba1234:

Rohr named Onazi as his captain today... perhaps, he was upset by that since he has been in the team longer. I do not know the truth about those reports.

That is not good for the team.

Was Rohr not told Ahmed Musa is... wait ooo but I also heard Musa surrendered the captaincy to Mikel and Onazi was named his deputy..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:08am On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:

You drop Simon Moses for Onyekuru?

Yes I will. I like Wing forwards that add bite to the attack.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Jefersoun: 12:08am On Mar 24, 2017
Icon4s:

Neither is Musa.
But he always get invited when fit to play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:08am On Mar 24, 2017
A very young Nigerian team held its own against a strong Senegalese team. That is certainly a positive. There is a lot of good to look forward to. Remember, Mikel and Victor Moses were missing.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:10am On Mar 24, 2017
forgiveness:

That is not good for the team.

Was Rohr not told Ahmed Musa is... wait ooo but I also heard Musa surrendered the captaincy to Mikel and Onazi was named his deputy..

I was just speculating, It is probably not true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:12am On Mar 24, 2017
Jefersoun:
But he always get invited when fit to play.

Same goes for Shehu Abdullahi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:14am On Mar 24, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Yes I will. I like Wing forwards that add bite to the attack.

I am just trying to highlight how difficult it is for coaches to make a decision abt who to drop and to be replaced by who.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:15am On Mar 24, 2017
tbaba1234:
Looks like Onazi's injury is serious..

Sad Onazi is always the target.

FIFA should do something about knees to the back. It can cripple a player. Reminds me of Zuniga almost ending Neymar's career with a knee to the back. This has to stop.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:17am On Mar 24, 2017
Now lemme reply him.... Chaaaiiiiii... Oga Experience himself.... the arch Guardian and Lord Analyst of the House... I greet you Great one.... grin

Chief Icon4s.... "Been Engaged" are the words for your question. Biko gbaram Oga... just manage the reply. wink

Truth is I am not fully back yet.... but you know I had to be where he Eagles were gathering..... wink I had to make out time coz I am still super busy and yes I have taken my time to go thru most of what I missed from pages back...

Now.... Sir... let us talk small business of copyright... grin

Oya.... I had to cite you when using that word so biko.... I need official permanent permit and authorisation from you to be using the word and also the "Not there yet" tags when necessary.... I am still an apostle of youth and Verve mixed with Constant Growth... but sometimes... I make reference to experience and I don't want you coming for my head when I do so biko.... grin

And on Iwobi.... yeah... Rohr now sees Iwobi would find it hellish against Cameroon.... Anyway, we will find a way around it... Mikel, or etebo... whatever it is... we will find a way.

For the bolded..... I just dey laugh here..... abeg... no comment for now on that one... lolllll

Icon4s:

This man. Where u go since?

You and TheGoodJoe need to obtain a special copy right license before using that word EXPERIENCE.

On Iwobi, he battled a grade A typical west African side. Thank God Rohr played him there in this game. I guess we need to try Etebo or the baba himself, Mikel, against Cameroun.

There is always a difference btw the 'borough' brought ups and the 'area' brought ups. Rohr dey even fear to put Ebuehi even though he still had 2 more substitute slots.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:21am On Mar 24, 2017
Yeah... it is difficult.... but honestly... even Samuel Kalu is balling better on the wings than Simon Moses at Kaa Gent... simon is relevant to this rising golden generation but Samuel Kalu and ofcos Henry Onyekuru seems better and more effective... only difference is we have seen Simon in the Eagles and he had made some impact sometimes... vs Swaziland and against camaroun in a friendly... we are yet to see Henry and Kalu in the green and white... but I have no doubts they will do well... especially Henry.

Icon4s:

I am just trying to highlight how difficult it is for coaches to make a decision abt who to drop and to be replaced by who.

(1) (2) (3) ... (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) (694) (695) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: comodo, daveP(m), M7even(m) and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.