Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (77) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11712747 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (16162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:52pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
See am... Doom.... U don dey smile naa... Abi?

So u still dey ask if omeruo and Troost get injured huh?? Na u wan injure them or redcard them... Huh??

If The coach wanna call a replacement, he'll do it... Otigba is one I have also held good grounds for. He's good... Very good.
But wait first let Rohr make the decision...

I know u would prefer Omeruo or Troost to be injured also to drive home a point. Not cool man... Not cool at all....

Bros, I have experienced how we could not progress in the world cup because of injury and lack of competent replacement.

2010 and 2014 world cups come to mind.

In 2010, we never envisaged any injury but it happened. Likewise, the last world cup.

What I am saying is, in football anything can hence we must have quality and reliable replacement for each positions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:58pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Some people rely on just numbers. Some people can watch and tell. Balogun was refreshingly brilliant against Tanzania. He held his high line well and was great ball playing.

So relying on numbers do not add up. Please, passing is not the only ball playing attribute of a defender. Balogun is a good dribbler too. Why not talk about that?
His dribbling stats isn't great either. The figures say 0.2% while Omeruo's stands at 0.5%

Leon balogoun for all his qualities is no Franz Beckenbauer, am sorry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:04pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The groups were instructed to initiate attack from one part of the field to the other, and specifically told to keep the ball in flight, failure to do so we result in the group doing push ups as punishment.

” I don’t want the ball on the ground, if it touches the ground, your group will give me five press up, now that is the instruction, start” Gernot Rohr roared.

William Troost Ekong, Leon Balogun and Chidozie Awaziem were by far more comfortable in carrying out the instructions, which saved their team from been asked to do press up.

FC Porto youngster Awaziem got the German coach nodding, when his cross field pass to Balogun reached the Mainz 05 defender who in turn cushioned a well drilled header to Ekong.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/08/31/balogunekong-awaziem-top-men-details-of-how-gernot-rohr-first-training-session-unfolded-in-uyo/
Anyone can do anything in training. On match day it's a different ball game.
I've seen plays who play like demons in training but are sh!t on match days. Training is training, match is match.
His 75% pass completion rate for a well coached, ball playing, high pressing side like Mainz isn't enough for me to make back flips. Sorry.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 4:06pm On Sep 25, 2016
Lordabas:
Has Kelechi improved on his first touch? grin
As long as he keep scoring and assisting with two touches,we are fine with that

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

His dribbling stats isn't great either. The figures say 0.2% while Omeruo's stands at 0.5%

Leon balogoun for all his qualities is no Franz Beckenbauer, am sorry.

Where the hell did you get me equating Leon Balogun to Beckenbauer? Your fund of doing this. Jumping from a point to making an unrelated statement as mine.

I said, among our defenders, Ekong and Balogun are our best ball playing defenders I have seen.

From the game against Tanzania, he was brilliant on the ball.

How many defender in the history of the world that is as good as Beckenbauer?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

I've seen plays who play like demons in training but are sh!t on match days. Training is training, match is match.
His 75% pass completion rate for a well coached, ball playing, high pressing side like Mainz isn't enough for me to make back flips. Sorry.

What I showed there is a ball playing drill and Ekong, Balogun and Awaziem excelled.

If they were not good, they will fail. Do not make it look as if everyone could do what they did.

Just type that is nice to read.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Squawka Football
@Squawka 8 months

Aleksandar Kolarov's first half by numbers:

56% pass accuracy
0 crosses completed
0 interceptions
0 aerial duels

This was one of Kolarov's stats 8 months ago. I guess with that, you will say Kolarov Is not a great ball playing defender. Meanwhile he is a brilliant one.

You can not pull out a stat and say he is not a great ball playing defender.

When we talk of ball playing, it is not just about passes but comfort with the ball. The ability to express with the ball and making incisive runs to help build up play.

In the Tanzania match, Leon Balogun was exceptional with the ball. I have not seen a defensive pair that good on the ball since I started watching Nigeria. (Sir Icon4s do not attack me, I did not watch the late eighties flying eagles)

You can not say Leon Balogun's ball playing ability is myth. He plays comfortably as a right back.

You, TheGoodJoe, are the originator of this "Ball playing defender" thing. This is just one of those hasty conclusions you made after that Tanzania game. The others are: " Rohr is a 4-3-3 coach", "Rohr is like Pep Guordiala", "Rohr plays a high defense line". Let us play Zambia and Algeria before we conclude on all those.

Goldfish80 has brought up a very enlightening stats and you went to dig up the stats of one of your man city "idols". Goldfish80's stats is average passing accuracy while yours is for a particular match. You did not even state the opponent as you know nature of opposition affects players performance.

Goldfish has said it all. We should not have any issues with Omeruo in that defense.

Talking about Flying Eagles of the late 80's o boy you missed o. tongue

If you did not watch our youth teams of 1985 to 1989: Nduka Ugbade, Philip Osondu, Victor Igbinoba, Mutiu Adepoju, Chris Ohenhen, Chris Nwosu, Dimeji Lawal, Victor Ikpeba, Jonathan Akpoborie, Benedict Akuegbu, John Zaki, Godwin Okpara, Peter Ogaba, Samuel Elijah, Lemmy I say. Then you missed a lot. tongue They were all "Ball playing ballers" o. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

How can a team that relies on long balls and are VERY WEAK IN KEEPING POSSESSION be a ball playing team to you?

This might be why Balogun has a 75% pass completion rate, when the team relies on long balls.

That is why relying strictly on one part of the stats to pass a judgment is not good. If you watched the game against Tanzania, you will easily tell that Balogun and Ekong are brilliant ball playing defenders.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

You, TheGoodJoe, are the originator of this "Ball playing defender" thing. This is just one of those hasty conclusions you made after that Tanzania game. The others are: " Rohr is a 4-3-3 coach", "Rohr is like Pep Guordiala", "Rohr plays a high defense line". Let us play Zambia and Algeria before we conclude on all those.

Goldfish80 has brought up a very enlightening stats and you went to dig up the stats of one of your man city "idols". Goldfish80's stats is average passing accuracy while yours is for a particular match. You did not even state the opponent as you know nature of opposition affects players performance.

Goldfish has said it all. We should not have any issues with Omeruo in that defense.

If you did not watch our youth teams of 1985 to 1989: Nduka Ugbade, Philip Osondu, Victor Igbinoba, Mutiu Adepoju, Chris Ohenhen, Chris Nwosu, Dimeji Lawal, Victor Ikpeba, Jonathan Akpoborie, Benedict Akuegbu, John Zaki, Godwin Okpara, Peter Ogaba, Samuel Elijah, Lemmy I say. Then you missed a lot. tongue They were all "Ball playing ballers" o. grin

Look at my last post before hinging on the enlightening stats of goldfish80.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:23pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Unlike some people here, I will not claim what I did not see. That is why I said, "THE BEST I WATCHED".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

I did not say Coach Rohr is a 4-3-3 coach. I actually said 4-4-2 attacking formation, similar to Arsene Wenger's invincible team. Remember, it came up during what role Iheanacho played. I said he played as a support striker and you said he played as a ten.

We say we will understand him more with more games from him. I wonder how you find that a problem.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Thanks bro. I have been preaching this same message to TheGoodJoe. "Training conditions are different from match day conditions".

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:34pm On Sep 25, 2016
Premier League Wrap : Iheanacho Benched; Anichebe Debuts; Robson-Kanu Subbed In; Ejaria, Ojo, Asoro, Maja Absent; Dele, Barkley Log 90 Minutes

Published: September 24, 2016

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent on match day six in the English Premier League on Saturday, September 24.

Everton lost their first game of the season, losing 1-0 to Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium, with England international Ross Barkley putting in a ninety-minute shift for the Toffees. His header missed target in the 55th minute.

England U21 international Jordon Ibe started and played 71 minutes of the contest for the home team.

At Anfield, Ovie Ejaria, Sheyi Ojo and Tiago Ilori were absent as Liverpool registered a comfortable 5-1 win against Moses Odubajo’s Hull City. Odubajo is still recovering from injury.

Tottenham Hotspur continued their unbeaten run thanks to their 2-1 win at Middlesbrough. Spurs number 20 Dele Alli put in a full shift and teammate Josh Onomah was not selected.

Over to the Stadium of Light, Victor Anichebe made his competitive debut for Sunderland who went from 2-0 up to lose 3-2 to Crystal Palace. The Nigeria international hopped off the bench in the 86th minute .

Teammates Joel Asoro and Joshua Maja were not involved for the Black Cats.

Wales international Hal Robson-Kanu was introduced in the 77th minute of West Brom’s 1-1 draw at Stoke City.

Manchester City maintained their one hundred percent record under manager Guardiola with a 3-1 victory over Swansea City at the Liberty Stadium. Kelechi Iheanacho was a non-playing substitute.

In the early kickoff, Ahmed Musa was not in Leicester City’s squad that lost 4-1 to Manchester United.

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=20552
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:35pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Yes, I started the ball playing defenders talk here. I watched Ekong at the Olympics and that was what impressed me. The way he helped the team build up attacks and the way he helped the team keep possession.

If we hang on just the stats, goldfish80 dropped, then we will say Ekong's ball playing ability is a myth. That is not true.

Omeruo is a ball playing defender but his passing stats is lower than Balogun. So we should say Omeruo's ball playing ability is a myth?

From what I see, it relies more in the set up of the team. The post I posted earlier showed a ball playing drill Rohr carried out. It shows he wants control and play from his defenders. That is enough to show I was right pointing out his preference of ball playing defenders.

I do not think anyone should not like someone trying to understand how a coach plays. I am trying to understand Rohr, so I can know what to expect from him.

My assessments might be wrong but how can I know if I do not try to understand him.

As I said, we will understand him with more games. I have said what I have noticed so far.

If you notice different, you can share. Just as you said Iheanacho played a deeper role. I did not see me questioning you suggesting that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Thanks bro. I have been preaching this same message to TheGoodJoe. "Training conditions are different from match day conditions".

Did I say training conditions are the same? It is a good way to screen and select players. Just like the drill I highlighted there. If a player can not do it in training, he can not do it in match conditions.

Just like our U17 screening starts with drills before match settings. Just like a team must train before the coach releases his starting line-up.

Training drills are important. I prefer a coach who has drills in his locker to select his squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

How can a team that relies on long balls and are VERY WEAK IN KEEPING POSSESSION be a ball playing team to you?

This might be why Balogun has a 75% pass completion rate, when the team relies on long balls.

That is why relying strictly on one part of the stats to pass a judgment is not good. If you watched the game against Tanzania, you will easily tell that Balogun and Ekong are brilliant ball playing defenders.

Mainz philosophy is not a the kick and run as you seem to suggest. They aren't a heavy possession side as well, obviously they don't have the resources to play that way. However they are far from the long ball team like your data seem to suggest.
It may interest you to know Mainz is like the farm house of German coaches. With Kopp and Tuchel cutting their teeth at Mainz.
You can see the same traits of high energy and hard pressing style of both coaches.
Martin Schmidt the current Mainz boss has the same playing style to Tuchel and Klopp. He was infact brought to the club by Tuchel.

The bottom line is that Leon passing and ball playing abilities are exagereated by you. Period.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I did not say Coach Rohr is a 4-3-3 coach. I actually said 4-4-2 attacking formation, similar to Arsene Wenger's invincible team. Remember, it came up during what role Iheanacho played. I said he played as a support striker and you said he played as a ten.

We say we will understand him more with more games from him. I wonder how you find that a problem.

Nops! I dnt find that as any problem.

Let us not just be carried away by that Tanzania game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Mainz philosophy is not a the kick and run as you seem to suggest. They aren't a heavy possession side as well, obviously they don't have the resources to play that way. However they are far from the long ball team like your data seem to suggest.
It may interest you to know Mainz is like the farm house of German coaches. With Kopp and Tuchel cutting their teeth at Mainz.
You can see the same traits of high energy and hard pressing style of both coaches.
Martin Schmidt the current Mainz boss has the same playing style to Tuchel and Klopp. He was infact brought to the club by Tuchel.

The bottom line is that Leon passing and ball playing abilities are exagereated by you. Period.

Come on. There is no need for that write up. You hang on stats and you want to evade it.

The image below shows it. Long ball, poor in keeping possession. I wonder how you want a defender to have high pass completion under those conditions.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:42pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Did I say training conditions are the same? It is a good way to screen and select players. Just like the drill I highlighted there. If a player can not do it in training, he can not do it in match conditions.

Just like our U17 screening starts with drills before match settings. Just like a team must train before the coach releases his starting line-up.

Training drills are important. I prefer a coach who has drills in his locker to select his squad.

I am sure you know the root of this our particular argument.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Nops! I dnt find that as any problem.

Let us not just be carried away by that Tanzania game.

I am not. In the next game, we keep watching and trying to understand him. That is all I did. I am now interested in seeing how he copes with the strategy the Zambians adopt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

I am sure you know the root of this our particular argument.

I do not know, please enlighten me, so I do not deviate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2016
Joel Asoro and Joshua Maja should be invited to the National team with immediate effect.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Where the hell did you get me equating Leon Balogun to Beckenbauer? Your fund of doing this. Jumping from a point to making an unrelated statement as mine.

I said, among our defenders, Ekong and Balogun are our best ball playing defenders I have seen.

From the game against Tanzania, he was brilliant on the ball.

How many defender in the history of the world that is as good as Beckenbauer?
It was a hypothetical statement. Am not comparing him and Beckenbauer. Am not crazy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Come on. There is no need for that write up. You hang on stats and you want to evade it.

The image below shows it. Long ball, poor in keeping possession. I wonder how you want a defender to have high pass completion under those conditions.
Have you given it a thought that because the Mainz Centre backs aren't so good at ball retention, hence they result to long balls?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrinkWater10: 4:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
Check Select sport to see obinna nwobodo's goal vs ikorodu He looped the keeper from the midfield. That goal is called'Orunmila' down here. Wonder strike that was.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Have you given it a thought that because the Mainz Centre backs aren't so good at ball retention, hence they result to long balls?

Have you given it a thought that Balogun is good on the ball but the strategy adopted by the coach reduces the stats of that ability?

Did you watch Pogba against Manchester City In a long ball strategy? Then look at him in a possessive strategy with Mata and Herrera on the field?

You did not put that in context before your ball playing myth talk.

Strategy can affect playing style.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Yes, I started the ball playing defenders talk here. I watched Ekong at the Olympics and that was what impressed me. The way he helped the team build up attacks and the way he helped the team keep possession.

If we hang on just the stats, goldfish80 dropped, then we will say Ekong's ball playing ability is a myth. That is not true.

Omeruo is a ball playing defender but his passing stats is lower than Balogun. So we should say Omeruo's ball playing ability is a myth?

From what I see, it relies more in the set up of the team. The post I posted earlier showed a ball playing drill Rohr carried out. It shows he wants control and play from his defenders. That is enough to show I was right pointing out his preference of ball playing defenders.

I do not think anyone should not like someone trying to understand how a coach plays. I am trying to understand Rohr, so I can know what to expect from him.

My assessments might be wrong but how can I know if I do not try to understand him.

As I said, we will understand him with more games. I have said what I have noticed so far.

If you notice different, you can share. Just as you said Iheanacho played a deeper role. I did not see me questioning you suggesting that.

You only mentioned "we will know with subsequent matches" after I stated "it was too early to make such conclusions". Remember I asked you if you have seen any other of Rohr's team's play of which you said no.

This Balogun and "Ball playing" thing also came from that match.

Nothing wrong in you trying to understand a coach or a player. But how you present how well you know the coach's pattern matters. But as you have agreed let us keep watching and see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:53pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Exactly, in training there is little or no pressure. On matchplay, with 3points at stake and the scrutiny of fans,media/social media, its a different ball game.
That's when team psychologists earn their money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:56pm On Sep 25, 2016
forgiveness:
Joel Asoro and Joshua Maja should be invited to the National team with immediate effect.

What of Joel Asorock and Majek Fashek?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Have you given it a thought that Balogun is good on the ball but the strategy adopted by the coach reduces the stats of that ability?

Did you watch Pogba against Manchester City In a long ball strategy? Then look at him in a possessive strategy with Mata and Herrera on the field?

You did not put that in context before your ball playing myth talk.

Strategy can affect playing style.

Yes strategies can bring down the numbers. So let me get you correct, Leon balogoun is capable of posting 85%+ throughthe season, but Martin Schmid's strategies at Mainz is the reasons numbers are down to 75%?

Was Pellegrinis "long ball" strategy the cause of Kolorovs 56% pass completion?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2016
As regards pass completion percentages, the style of your team matters.

Last season, in the premier league last season, the defenders with the highest pass percentages were

Gabriel (Arsenal)
Terry (Chelsea)
Mertersacker (Arsenal)
Mangala (Man city)
Kosceilny (Arsenal)
Demichelis (Man city)

What do you notice? The Defenders are from teams that like to pass the ball for the most part. top teams.

Mid table defenders start coming in between 85-75%... Less passing and more long balls upfield.

Stats can be dependent on the style of football played by the team. The most passing, the higher the stats.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:59pm On Sep 25, 2016
Good.... So now that Leon is out... We stick to Omeruo and Troost as a CB pair. You got a problem with that?? Or you still envisage more injuries......

forgiveness:

Bros, I have experienced how we could not progress in the world cup because of injury and lack of competent replacement.

2010 and 2014 world cups come to mind.

In 2010, we never envisaged any injury but it happened. Likewise, the last world cup.

What I am saying is, in football anything can hence we must have quality and reliable replacement for each positions.

(1) (2) (3) ... (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) ... (16162) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Charly17(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.