Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,205 members, 7,811,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:30 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (78) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11607025 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (16124) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:00pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

You only mentioned "we will know with subsequent matches" after I stated "it was too early to make such conclusions". Remember I asked you if you have seen any other of Rohr's team's play of which you said no.

This Balogun and "Ball playing" thing also came from that match.

Nothing wrong in you trying to understand a coach or a player. But how you present how well you know the coach's pattern matters.

I do not know the coaching pattern. I think I have said that enough. I am sure you know that I said I do not know. I did not watch his Zidane, Dugarry and Lizarazu team in 1996.

I have repeated why I said so. I gave you the reasons. Paul Le Guen (seen as an Arsene Wenger of French Football). Ikpeba (member of technical committee, worked wirh Arsene Wenger at Monaco).

Rohr, another Ligue 1 coach who coached when Ikpeba was at Monaco appointed.

So I believe Ikpeba has a hand in the suggestions and appointments. So I suspect like Le Guen, Rohr shares the same philosophy that Ikpeba likes.

I could be wrong but I made these connections. I think it is possible Rohr is similar. The high line of the defense and the ball playing style makes me believe it. Time will tell.

So why hold on to I said, when I have repeatedly said, time will tell?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:03pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Yes strategies can bring down the numbers. So let me get you correct, Leon balogoun is capable of posting 85%+ throughthe season, but Martin Schmid's strategies at Mainz is the reasons numbers are down to 75%?

Was Pellegrinis "long ball" strategy the cause of Kolorovs 56% pass completion?

There is no need dribbling the point. You made it look as if Mainz is some kind of tiki taka team and Balogun not pulling over 85% passing stats.

You have seen the team is weak at keeping possession. There is no need trying to dribble with this or that. Mainz is a weak team at keeping possession. Balogun pulling a 75% pass completion shows he is good in a very weak possessive team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:03pm On Sep 25, 2016
tbaba1234:
As regards pass completion percentages, the style of your team matters.

Last season, in the premier league last season, the defenders with the highest pass percentages were

Gabriel (Arsenal)
Terry (Chelsea)
Mertersacker (Arsenal)
Mangala (Man city)
Kosceilny (Arsenal)
Demichelis (Man city)

What do you notice? The Defenders are from teams that like to pass the ball for the most part. top teams.

[b]Mid table defenders start coming in between 85-75%... [/b]Less passing and more long balls upfield.

Stats can be dependent on the style of football played by the team. The most passing, the higher the stats.

Leon's stat come in at 75% which is the baseline of your prognosis. This tells me he is just an average passer not excellent like we are been fed with here by TheGoodJoe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not know, please enlighten me, so I do not deviate.

Starting Sadiq Umar vs Starting Odion Ighalo.

You said you would start Sadiq ahead of Ighalo if Sadiq did "better" in training.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2016
tbaba1234:
As regards pass completion percentages, the style of your team matters.

Last season, in the premier league last season, the defenders with the highest pass percentages were

Gabriel (Arsenal)
Terry (Chelsea)
Mertersacker (Arsenal)
Mangala (Man city)
Kosceilny (Arsenal)
Demichelis (Man city)

What do you notice? The Defenders are from teams that like to pass the ball for the most part. top teams.

Mid table defenders start coming in between 85-75%... Less passing and more long balls upfield.

Stats can be dependent on the style of football played by the team. The most passing, the higher the stats.

Thank you. He will try to delay a simple fact.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:05pm On Sep 25, 2016
You don come again...... Why not clamour for Olufela olomola and Ogo Obi as well.... Huh??

Or even Adarabioyo... Or maybe Ashinme Kigbu and Dele Bashiru....

Ohhhh... Did I mention Tosin Kehinde and Tammy Abraham??

You no dey hear word.... Hian!

forgiveness:
Joel Asoro and Joshua Maja should be invited to the National team with immediate effect.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
Obinna Nwobodo doing wonders for Rangers vs Ikorodu. Game live on super sports select.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:10pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

What of Joel Asorock and Majek Fashek?

grin e pain am! grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:10pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

There is no need dribbling the point. You made it look as if Mainz is some kind of tiki taka team and Balogun not pulling over 85% passing stats.

You have seen the team is weak at keeping possession. There is no need trying to dribble with this or that. Mainz is a weak team at keeping possession. Balogun pulling a 75% pass completion shows he is good in a very weak possessive team.
Putting 75% pass completion does not show he is good at passing but his teams limitations are cutting him short. If his numbers were close to 80%,like a 78+,then you are talking.

For example, Shkodran Mustafi last season with all Valentia troubles on and off the pitch, he still managed to post 79.8%... This season his numbers have gone up to almost 90% in a more settled side. But his passing abilities where never in doubt in a very poor valentia side.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:11pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Starting Sadiq Umar vs Starting Odion Ighalo.

You said you would start Sadiq ahead of Ighalo if Sadiq did "better" in training.

If Ighalo fails woefully in finishing drills. That was the point I made and Sadiq Umar performs excellently. I will pick Sadiq Umar.

If Ighalo can not do it in training, we will deceive ourselves if we think match conditions will give him the magic ability to do better.

Just as the drill Rohr gave the players. We will deceive ourselves if we believe those who could not do the drill will perform better in match conditions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Putting 75% pass completion does not show he is good at passing but his teams limitations are cutting him short. If his numbers were close to 80%,like a 78+,then you are talking.

For example, Shkodran Mustafi last season with all Valentia troubles on and off the pitch, he still managed to post 79.8%... This season his numbers have gone up to almost 90% in a more settled side. But his passing abilities where never in doubt in a very poor valentia side.

The thing is settled. You just want to prolong a finished argument.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:
Obinna Nwobodo doing wonders for Rangers vs Ikorodu. Game live on super sports select.
Obinja is right among the cream de la creame of naija talents. He is a marvel to watch in midfield.
Whats the scores please?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:16pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Obinja is right among the cream de la creame of naija talents. He is a marvel to watch in midfield.
Whats the scores please?

Ikorodu 0-2 Rangers.

32 years trophy drought about to end for Rangers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Leon's stat come in at 75% which is the baseline of your prognosis. This tells me he is just an average passer not excellent like we are been fed with here by TheGoodJoe

I said start coming in, I was not giving a range. We have good defenders with less than 75% like Wes Morgan for Leicester last season.

I do not think, it is a good measure of how good a passer a player is, unless you control for the team's style of play.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
forgiveness:

Now that we are benefitting from this foreign grown player, many people have forgotten how they castigated me for demanding for their injection into the national team.

Thank God he didn't slip from our hand like Alaba, Dele Alli and Ross Barkley.

I hope Sheyi Ojo and little Messi(Bobby Adekanye) are given the opportunity to play for their fatherland.

Bobby Adekanye was rejected by Emmanuel Amuneke but I can't see any any player in his team as good as him.
Bobby is no doubt a great talent but Samuel Chukwueze is no slouch. We will get better at this aspect but Africa as a whole needs to step up. If i were to honestly advice a young player i would have to remind them that they would be missing in January and to some that could be a deal breaker. We just simply need to move the AFCON. Imagine Pep and Wenger having to do without Iheanacho and Iwobi, that could spoil their season.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Their is nothing to prolong here. Leon is an average passer and he is not as comfortable as you think on the ball.
Even in that Tanzanian game, he had a wobbly moment when he was put under a bit of pressure in the second half. He totally miss kicked a simply pass, the intended pass went backward to Ikeme.
I remember also in a game in Kaduna, he had one of those moments on the ball. I thought it was anxiety but I have figured out he is not that good on the ball after all

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Ikorodu 0-2 Rangers.

I don't think our head coach as won a league before, Imama could be our most decorated coach smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

I said start coming in, I was not giving a range. We have good defenders with less than 75% like Wes Morgan for Leicester last season.

I do not think, it is a good measure of how good a passer a player is, unless you control for the team's style of play.
Wes Morgan is atrocious on the ball. Am not surprised by his stats

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 5:23pm On Sep 25, 2016
Seeing Ikorodu versus Rangers match now. Scoreline 0:2 in Favour of Rangers. Obinna NWOBODO is a class apart. Afor muru gi, muru onye egwu

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:23pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Ikorodu 0-2 Rangers.

Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Enugu Rangers is another champion grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Wes Morgan is atrocious on the ball. Am not surprised by his stats

Sometimes it is not about the player it is the team, if u are playing on a team that mostly plays long balls ur stats will look bad no matter who u are. Alaba has great passing stats with Bayern but for Austria his passing is average.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Rangers about to breaks 37yrs jinx of not winning the Premier league. Nwaobodo score one and assited Uchegbulem with his13th goal of the season.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:34pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Good.... So now that Leon is out... We stick to Omeruo and Troost as a CB pair. You got a problem with that?? Or you still envisage more injuries......

Experience is the best teacher. It is possible hence we must have a liable replacement.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:35pm On Sep 25, 2016
forgiveness:

grin e pain am! grin

Na you e dey pain. grin

All your favourite players no make Eagles squad you still they invite Raski mono and Majek Fashek

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Enugu Rangers is another champion grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

From that song, i can see you are typical Rangers fan . All them Christian Chukwu dey stadium dey celebrate.

Enyimba for Life!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Their is nothing to prolong here. Leon is an average passer and he is not as comfortable as you think on the ball.
Even in that Tanzanian game, he had a wobbly moment when he was put under a bit of pressure in the second half. He totally miss kicked a simply pass, the intended pass went backward to Ikeme.
I remember also in a game in Kaduna, he had one of those moments on the ball. I thought it was anxiety but I have figured out he is not that good on the ball after all

Continue arguing. Even the one you do not know. I just ignored your Mustafi Valencia talk, not to expose that sometimes you just say things you do not understand.

How you do not know Valencia is a possessive team beats me. Look at the image below. Then explain how a good ball playing defender will not post good stats.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

Rangers about to breaks 37yrs jinx of not winning the Premier league. Nwaobodo score one and assited Uchegbulem with his13th goal of the season.

Let me ask u guys this, does he go to Europe or stay for champions league? Cuz this team can beat the sundowns and they r my pick to take the cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Fingers crossed. They aren't there yet. Rivers United is right up their a.ss. first half just ended. Rangers 2 Ikorodu Utd 0. Rivers Utd 0 Abia Warriors 0. Ifeanyi Uba1 Enyimba 0. Abia warriors is about to ffuck up any title hope for Rivers Utd. If Rivers lose this game or draw it then it's over because assuming Rangers wins then they will be 4 points clear with one game left on the season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
ChrisKels:
Seeing Ikorodu versus Rangers match now. Scoreline 0:2 in Favour of Rangers. Obinna NWOBODO is a class apart. Afor muru gi, muru onye egwu

Quality young players still play in our league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:42pm On Sep 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Why did you not scream Mustafi is a poor ball playing defender posting a 79% in a passing Valencia. Leave Mata for Mourinho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:43pm On Sep 25, 2016
Icon4s:

Quality young players still play in our league.

I hope, he goes to a decent league to polish his talent.. If he stays in Nigeria, he would not improve.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

My point remains that Kenneth Omeruo would be a credible replacement for the injured Leon. We don't have any problems in that department.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) ... (16124) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: solonnachi, KpagoGIN(m), chrisooblog, Marjoribanks, TheSuperNerd(m), dankorode(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.