Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,515 members, 7,812,601 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:00 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (967) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11616208 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) ... (16129) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:21am On May 24, 2017
Eagles Newboy Onyekuru Make Team Of The Year In Belgium

Super Eagles latest invitee Henry Onyekuru has been voted among the best 11 players in the recently concluded 2016/2016 play-offs in Belgium where he found the back of the net 10 times.

19 year old Onyekuru has has made the team of the week in Belgium severally this season and was one of the stars of the play-offs in Belgium despite playing for modest and newly promoted Belgian side Eupen.

The scorer of 24 goals this season has been linked with a host of teams in Europe, following his goal rush for Eupen, with Arsenal the latest team to sound out the Belgian club over his availability.

19 year old Onyekuru is presently in France for a training camp with the Nigeria senior national team, who are also expected to play two friendly games against Corsica and Togo on the 26th of May and 1st of June respectively.

A decision on his future is expected to be announced in two weeks time, with the forward confirming talks are progressing nicely with teams in Germany, England and even Belgium.

**Osas Mahawi

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/23/eagles-newboy-onyekuru-make-team-of-the-year-in-belgium/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:25am On May 24, 2017
Alhassan Backs Eagles’ NPFL Stars To Shine, Eager For Reunion With Iheanacho , Ndidi
By James Agberebi

Super Eagles invitee Ibrahim Alhassan believes the home-based players invited by coach Gernot Rhor for the friendlies against a Corsica XI and Togo will justify their inclusion, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Alhassan, who plays for Akwa United, MFM's Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatubosun, and IfeanyiUbah's Ikechukwu Ezenwa are the four Nigeria Professional Football League players picked for the friendlies which come up on Friday, May 26 against Corsica and Thursday, June 1, against Togo.

The 20-year-old forward, who has scored 10 league goals this season for Akwa United, stated that their invitation was as a result of their impressive performances for their clubs this season.

"It is a privilege to be invited for the Super Eagles but I must give credit to my teammates and coaches for helping me,"Alhassan told Completesportsnigeria.

"And I must congratulate myself for being an Akwa United ambassador and I will make sure I represent them well.

"We are going there not to just go and make up the numbers. We are going there to give our all to see that we represent the home-based players well and hopefully we will not disappoint.

"I am not under pressure because I believe if you are doing your thing, believe in God and also hardworking, good things will come. I think the hard work we have put in for our different teams is the reason why we have been selected."

Alhassan, who was a Flying Eagles player, expressed delight with the prospect of linking up with his former junior international teammates.

"Playing with the likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, Isaac Success and Wilfred Ndidi at the junior level was a privilege," Alhassan told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"They are my friends and I can't wait to meet them because I have been in contact with some of them. By God grace if I keep working hard, I believe I can play at the level they currently are and I hope I can play in one of the top European leagues. For now I leave everything in God's hands. I pray that any place I can develop as a player and as a person I want to start there.

"Every player wants to play in the big teams, like Iheanacho playing for Manchester City and Wilfred Ndidi playing for Leicester City and also Isaac Success playing for Watford. I would love to play in such a top league but I want to start from where I can develop as a player and as a person."

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/alhassan-backs-eagles-npfl-stars-shine-eager-reunion-iheanacho-ndidi/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:29am On May 24, 2017
Odey Eager To Learn From Senior Eagles Players , Eyes NPFL Title
By Izuchukwu Okosi

Mountain of Fire and Miracles FC striker Stephen Odey considers the Super Eagles friendly matches against Corsica and the Togo in Paris, France on May 26 and June 1 respectively as key to his confidence following his invitation to the national team, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Odey who recently had trials with Danish club Midtjylland sounded confident as he headed out to France for the friendly matches.

The Super Eagles home-based players made up of Odey, his MFM teammate, Sikiru Olatunbosun, Akwa United's Alhassan Ibrahim and FC Ifeanyiubah goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa departedNigeria Monday night for the trip to Paris.

"My mission in the national team camp will be to gain vital experience from the senior players," Odey told Completesportsnigeria.com.

"This invitation will surely give me the confidence I need going forward.

"I'm grateful to the coaches but after the friendlies and possibly the Nations Cup qualifier against South Africa, there's still the objective of winning the NPFL title with MFM."

Speaking about MFM's campaign in the current season, Odey rued his inability to score against Akwa United in their week 20 league 0-0 draw on Sunday at the Agege Stadium, Lagos as the second half of the season started.

"Akwa United gave us a good match. But I won't say they were the toughest team we've come up against. I think it was Plateau United at home. I scored twice but the defenders were tough, I received some kicks here and there," the leading goal scorer in the NPFL with 14 goals told Completesportsnigeria.com.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/odey-eager-learn-senior-eagles-players-eyes-npfl-title/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:42am On May 24, 2017
BATSHUAYI AND IHEANACHO TOP WEST HAM'S SUMMER TRANSFER TARGETS SHORTLIST
By Harry Sherlock

The Hammers have drawn up a list of possible striker signings, with Slaven Bilic interested in bringing in the Chelsea and Manchester City attackers

Chelsea's Michy Batshuayi and Mancheser City striker Kelechi Iheanacho are at the top of West Ham's summer transfer targets shortlist.

Slaven Bilic is looking to add firepower to the Hammers, having seen midfielder Michail Antonio finish as the club's top scorer in the Premier League with nine goals.

Andy Carroll netted just seven times in the league, with Andre Ayew scoring five goals, and Goal understands Batshuayi and Iheanacho are seen as the perfect answers to provide goals for West Ham.

Having scored the goal that helped Chelsea seal the title, Batshuayi is the club's top target, but Iheanacho is also heavily fancied after failing to cement a regular place in Pep Guardiola's Manchester City squad.

Both players are expected to cost between £25 million and £30 million, with West Ham having doubts about signing Liverpool forward Daniel Sturridge.

The England international was linked with a move to the London Stadium, but competition from PSG as well as doubts over his ability to stay fit over the course of a full season have seen Sturridge fall down the pecking order.

In April, Bilic discussed the possibility of signing the Liverpool striker, calling Sturridge "unbelievable" while also explaining the club had a number of players under consideration.

"If you talk about Sturridge as a player, especially if you go back two or three seasons, he was unbelievable. But then he wasn't a subject for West Ham," Bilic admitted.
"Now you can still see it when he plays. He plays very rarely but I watched Stoke against Liverpool the other day. He came on and, with a couple of passes, he broke their defence.
Proof Pogba has not flopped at Man Utd

"So of course he is showing that when he plays, but he plays very rarely. When he is on fire he is a great player. Is he the sort of striker we would look at? We are going to see. We have our list of strikers."

As well as Batshuayi and Iheanacho, West Ham are also interested in the possibility of signing Manchester United attacker Anthony Martial, who started just 18 Premier League games this season under Jose Mourinho.

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4102/transfer-zone/2017/05/23/35781392/batshuayi-and-iheanacho-top-west-hams-summer-transfer

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:46am On May 24, 2017
SA COACH BAXTER TO STUDY VIDEO OF NIGERIA'S LAST 3 GAMES

Stuart Baxter

by Austin Ditlhobolo

South Africa head coach Stuart Baxter says he will soon start planning for their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Nigeria.

The Super Eagles are scheduled to host Bafana Bafana at the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo on the 10th of June 2017.

British tactician Baxter is currently in charge of Absa Premiership side SuperSport United and the South African senior national team.

“I’ll have to be 100 percent honest, I haven’t had time because of my commitments here at SuperSport. I haven’t time I have to say,” Baxter said on Own Goal Nigeria.

“The next two days I’ll take my SuperSport hat off and put my
Bafana hat on. It’s not perfect and the preparation will not be perfect," he continued.

“But I’ll get the DVDs, I’ll break that down of their last three games.

"We played them a 2-2 game, I saw that and I’ll get that, I’ll break that down, so we’ll do some preparation," he added.
“But I think the important thing is to get the squad right, get the right sort of squad.”

Source: http://africanfootball.com//news/710183/SA-coach-Baxter-to-study-video-of-Nigerias-last-3-games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:56am On May 24, 2017
HENRY ONYEKURU: SHOULD ARSENAL & NIGERIA GET EXCITED?
By Solace Chukwu

The Eupen forward is having a breakthrough season, and has earned a national team call-up, but what exactly does he bring to the table?

Henry Onyekuru 's invitation to the Super Eagles was long overdue. There had been some incredulity at his absence from the initial squad named by Gernot Rohr, and even now he is only in by virtue of the unavailability of striker Olarenwaju Kayode for the friendlies against Corsica and Togo.

Not that it matters how he got in, only that he has, and finally has the chance to showcase his abilities to the coaching crew.

They are considerable, as his output with modest Eupen no doubt attests: 25 goals and nine assists in 41 games across all competitions are eye-catching numbers for one so young.

You can interpret it either of two ways, based on the standing of the Belgian league and Eupen. He may well be a big fish in a small pond, which might explain the initial reluctance to call him up (though to be a big fish anywhere at all at 19 is probably not the worst thing in the world); or his excellence with little may be demonstrative of his ability to do even better at a higher level.

With interest from the Premier League, most notably in the shape of Arsenal and West Ham United, we certainly will find out soon enough. Admittedly, the peculiarities of the English top-flight do lend themselves to his talents: Onyekuru is rapid from a standing start, boasting superb acceleration, and is unerringly direct.

Rohr | Initially unconvinced by Onyekuru?

While he can play all across the front line, he favours the left as it gives him the space he needs to go through the gears, as well as come inside on his stronger right foot. He will usually receive the ball deeper and wider, and try to roar past his marker on the outside, before then cutting across him to get goalside.

This means he cannot be stopped without recourse to a foul.

His low centre of gravity (he stands at about 5ft 9in) enables quick changes of direction, but his dribbling style really isn’t defined by it, unlike most players his size. He does have good close control, but relies more on his speed and trickery, often looking he has shown too much to the opponent before snatching it away. Perhaps it is to do with the fact he runs and dribbles with a straight stance, not hunching – he looks bigger than he is, and dribbles like a taller player.

Ed Dove @EddyDove Iheanacho 20, Iwobi 21, Onyekuru 19, Ndidi 20, Simon 21, Aina 20...If I was a true Nigerian I'd be getting pretty excited right about now! 4:49 PM - 23 May 2017 · Glasgow, Scotland

In front of goal, Onyekuru is an improviser. He possesses good movement, especially when he has to spin in behind a full-back; he is often up and away before they even know it. When through, he can finish in a number of ways; though, like most speedsters, he seems to enjoy going past the goalkeeper. That doesn’t preclude dinks, curled finishes in the manner of his idol and namesake Thierry Henry, and even a pirouette (he didn’t score with that one, but he did win a penalty).

There is a lot to admire about him, but he is still a teenager, so there are a lot of areas wherein he can improve. That is only natural. His aptitude for the defensive side of the game, as well as his decision-making, are still undeveloped (the latter especially).

Really, it is doubtful how good a move to East London would be for him at this stage, especially considering West Ham’s approach without the ball. The Hammers are not exactly a model of stability, all things considered, and he is unlikely to make a mark at such a young age where the demands and expectation are immediate and stratospheric.

A move to Arsenal could be more appropriate, although that would represent an even bigger step-up for a teenager who's yet to taste competitive football outside Belgium. How many players have made that kind of leap...let alone to do it successfully?

Solace Chukwu @TheOddSolace Onyekuru right to seek move away, but if it's the @premierleague he has designs on, he might be better served staying at Eupen! 12:24 PM - 22 May 2017

Perhaps the biggest weakness in Onyekuru’s game is a streak of single-mindedness. It can manifest as overconfidence or as selfishness, but too often he wants to go alone. He will often get the better of his marker, and opt for a shot from an angle rather than lay in a teammate in a better position centrally.

In spite of these – and one might even chalk it up to youth – there is plenty to be excited about where the Eupen forward is concerned.

The prospect of a link up with Rohr’s attacking prodigies is uber-appealing; one need only think what a front four including him, Isaac Success, Alex Iwobi and Kelechi Iheanacho could get up to, for instance.

The future has snuck up on us all, much like Onyekuru himself!

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-ng/news/4055/main/2017/05/23/35778642/henry-onyekuru-should-arsenal-nigeria-get-excited

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:17am On May 24, 2017
Sources close to Watford's Isaac Success deny West Ham reports

Isaac Success' future lies - for now - at Watford. Picture: Action Images

Reports linking Isaac Success with a summer move to West Ham are wide of the mark.

The promising young forward has endured a turbulent first season at Watford, starting only twice and playing barely 500 minutes of football, as injuries took their toll on his Premier League campaign, as did falling out of favour with head coach Walter Mazzarri.

The Observer has learned Mazzarri was unimpressed with what he perceived a poor attitude from the 21-year-old which limited his first-team involvement, but Success will face a clean slate under the Hornets' next head coach.

After playing a bit-part role at Vicarage Road speculation over his future is little surprise, however sources close to the player have indicated there is no truth to recent articles suggesting there have been discussions over his future with the Hammers.
Success has made 19 appearances for Watford, scoring once.

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/15300730.Success_sources_rubbish_West_Ham_link/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:55am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Leicester City Working On Deal To Sign One-Time Arsenal Target Samuel Chukwueze

Leicester City are working on a deal to sign one-time Arsenal target Samuel Chukwueze from his Nigerian club Diamond Academy in the summer transfer market.

It would be recalled that the Emirates outfit had been nailed-on favourites to secure the signature of the exciting winger after the 2015 Fifa U17 World Cup.

Chukwueze and his entourage traveled to London to discuss personal terms with Arsenal, but the deal eventually suffered a setback as the parties could not agree on the payment method of his transfer fee.

''Leicester City told me they wanted Chukwueze while we were discussing about another player, so I sent the club his videos, '' said Chukwueze's representative Johnny Ogbah to
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''They asked me about his valuation and I told them they will have to pay the same amount Arsenal offered to pay. They are keen on signing him but no offer has been made.''

Juventus, Red Bull Salzburg, Wolfsburg, Borussia Dortmund, Porto and Villarreal have all been credited with an interest in Chukwueze after he won the Bronze shoe at the Fifa U17 World Cup.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : fifa.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23149

these young man handlers are his problem...
so greedy and selfish folks.
the guy should have been in a good club by now developing and playing good football.
greed won't let them be.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:13am On May 24, 2017
Eagles begin training, injury knocks Balogun out of South Africa game
By Christian Okpara, with agency reports

Injured Super Eagles’ defender, Leon Balogun is out of Nigeria’s friendly games against Corsica and Togo, as well as the African Nations Cup qualifier against South Africa.PHOTO: AFP

The Super Eagles are ready to take on Corsica. Ordinarily, a game against the European team, which is not even affiliated to world football governing body, FIFA, should not draw such massive interest as this has. But so many things are involved in this particular match, which holds on May 26.

First, most of the players in camp are fringe players in the national team, who want to use the games against Corsica and Togo to sell their skills to Super Eagles’ Coach, Gernot Rohr.

There is also the added thrill in the number of young and
talented players from European clubs, who will be presenting their games to Nigerians for the first time during these friendlies. And of course, it is the Super Eagles, a team that elicits so much interest from potential opponents no matter the quality of opposition confronting them.

Reports from France said about 12 players have already arrived at the team’s Best Western Hotel, Ajaccio Amiraute camp.Among the players are the home-based quartet of Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Alhassan Ibrahim, Stephen Odey and Sikiru Olatunbosun, who departed Nigeria last night, accompanied by coach Salisu Yusuf.

The Europe-based stars in camp are Tyronne Ebuehi, Uche Agbo, Elderson Echiejile, Chidozie Awaziem, Oghenekaro Etebo, William Troost-Ekong, Henry Onyekuru and Dele Alampasu.

Meanwhile, Mainz have confirmed that defender Leon Balogun will miss the Eagles’ training camp in Corsica and Paris, as well as the African Nations Cup qualifier against South Africa.

The right back had to be substituted in the 18th minute of Mainz’s 2-0 loss to Cologne on the final day of the season last Saturday.The 28-year-old has pulled out of the Nigeria squad for their games against Corsica (May 26), Togo (June 1) and an African Cup of Nations qualifier against South Africa.Balogun started 13 games for Mainz in the just concluded season, while he made four appearances off the bench in the top flight.

Source: https://m.guardian.ng/sport/eagles-begin-training-injury-knocks-balogun-out-of-south-africa-game/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:29am On May 24, 2017

Victor Moses

Baxter bent on containing triple threat
by Andrew Randa

South Africa coach Stuart Baxter is leaving no stone unturned to see that his side gets a result against the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

The Bafana Bafana will travel to Nigeria for a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on June 10 t the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo.

Baxter, who is into his second spell as coach of the South African senior side has already started making plans to neutralise Nigeria as he has been studying the tapes of Nigerian stars abroad.

The likes of Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi and Victor Moses got special mention from the Bafana Bafana coach, who also revealed he has been reading Nigerian newspapers to get a feel on how they are thinking.

Baxter wants to take a look at Nigeria’s last three games and break it down to give him an idea on how the Super Eagles will set up for the clash.

Nigeria have been some sort of bogey team for South Africa as the team has only defeated Nigeria once in competitive games. The last time the two teams met, Nigeria forced South Africa to a 2-2 draw in Uyo in a 2015 AFCON qualifier.

Baxter will look to change all that as he begins his second journey with the Bafana Bafana. He is looking at combining both youth and experience as he continues to develop the squad.

“We want to keep an element of development there all the time, and I don’t want to regress. We are going to have to look at players that have come in and ask if we should throw them in the deep end in Nigeria or should he be on the bench, or just in the squad and have a learning curve,” Baxter told iol.co.za.

“I think those that are going to have to play are the ones that have been there and done it, but I don’t’ mean we suddenly start bringing back Morgan Gould (34), although he’s been fantastic, but we need players with experience, like Dean Furman for example and Itumeleng Khune will also be important in these sort of games.” he added.

Apart from surmounting the Nigerian hurdle, South Africa will also have to do battle with other 2019 AFCON Group E opponents- Seychelles and Libya.

Source: https://www.supersport.com/football/super-eagles/news/170524/Baxter_bent_on_containing_triple_threat
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 7:27am On May 24, 2017
bataderemi:

You overrate the EPL. Tottenham were beaten by a Belgian side, over two legs.

Malaga beat Barcelona 2:0 and had a 0:0 draw over two legs but ended up 11th in La Liga. Would any one in thier wildest dreams begin to suggest that Malaga is better than Barca Or possible on par with them, I don't think so.

Tottenham lost the first leg 1:0 at home to Gent a lacklustre display by Tottenham although Kane hit the post. The second leg was a 2:2 draw with Dele red carded in the 39th minute nonetheless they completely dominated Gent with 25 shots on goal compared to 4 by Gent. Tottenham Possession 65% to Gent's 35% with Tottenham playing with 10 men for the larger part of the game. Furthermore, the first goal to Gent was an own goal by Kane.

The somewhat lowly Belgium league is ranked No. 9 in Europe out of 50+ teams by UEFA and I don't think any of thier teams progressed beyond the group stage in the Champions league.

What I am saying is get things in perspective a teams performance are assessed over a season not over two games. Gent is not anywhere on the same level as Tottenham had a lucky win but that's about it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39033491
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:38am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Leicester City Working On Deal To Sign One-Time Arsenal Target Samuel Chukwueze

Leicester City are working on a deal to sign one-time Arsenal target Samuel Chukwueze from his Nigerian club Diamond Academy in the summer transfer market.

It would be recalled that the Emirates outfit had been nailed-on favourites to secure the signature of the exciting winger after the 2015 Fifa U17 World Cup.

Chukwueze and his entourage traveled to London to discuss personal terms with Arsenal, but the deal eventually suffered a setback as the parties could not agree on the payment method of his transfer fee.

''Leicester City told me they wanted Chukwueze while we were discussing about another player, so I sent the club his videos, '' said Chukwueze's representative Johnny Ogbah to
allnigeriasoccer.com .

''They asked me about his valuation and I told them they will have to pay the same amount Arsenal offered to pay. They are keen on signing him but no offer has been made.''

Juventus, Red Bull Salzburg, Wolfsburg, Borussia Dortmund, Porto and Villarreal have all been credited with an interest in Chukwueze after he won the Bronze shoe at the Fifa U17 World Cup.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel
Photo Credit : fifa.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23149

This is just agent talk. I don't think any of these sides are coming for this boy . Am not a physic but I see him ending up in Turkey at best. He might even be left with the prospect of kicking off his career at the NPFL like Alhassan.
His agent have succeeded in ruining his career. Kudos to them.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:26am On May 24, 2017
komekn:

Malaga beat Barcelona 2:0 and had a 0:0 draw over two legs but ended up 11th in La Liga. Would any one in thier wildest dreams begin to suggest that Malaga is better than Barca Or possible on par with them, I don't think so.

Tottenham lost the first leg 1:0 at home to Gent a lacklustre display by Tottenham although Kane hit the post. The second leg was a 2:2 draw with Dele red carded in the 39th minute nonetheless they completely dominated Gent with 25 shots on goal compared to 4 by Gent. Tottenham Possession 65% to Gent's 35% with Tottenham playing with 10 men for the larger part of the game. Furthermore, the first goal to Gent was an own goal by Kane.

The somewhat lowly Belgium league is ranked No. 9 in Europe out of 50+ teams by UEFA and I don't think any of thier teams progressed beyond the group stage in the Champions league.

What I am saying is get things in perspective a teams performance are assessed over a season not over two games. Gent is not anywhere on the same level as Tottenham had a lucky win but that's about it.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39033491
U are right. But the problem is tagging the league backwater. It's not like the EPL teams particularly do anything in Europe. You are saying Tottenham had a lacklustre display and Kane hit the post, so that's Gent's fault? If you're talented, you're talented, and if you will make it, it depends more on hard work than anything. EPL defenders are not witches or anything. Even Jesus said he thought EPL would be harder, he was playing in Brazil.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:44am On May 24, 2017
Joebie:
Back in the days, most of our players went to non-English speaking countries. I don't think it's a factor generally. Professional football gives accommodation for non-native speakers. I think many of our players are looking for comfort zones too early in their career. Should my child in future be a professional player, I will advise him or her to go to a country that will aid their development irrespective of the official language of their destination. Learning more languages should even be a plus, because they could take to coaching or so many other responsibilities after their playing career. the more languages they can speak and the more cultures they experienced during their playing days will add to their capacity. I can't over-emphasize the importance of learning about different cultures in this globalized world as we have it -- international business in my mind.

Back in the days our players had no choice. U have to remember that these are young men and should be expected to want to socialize. Not speaking a language is very tough and it can also limit performances. Translators are nice but they won't be going on home with u to talk to ur neighbors. I agree with u that learning cultures and languages will always come in handy but performance on the field comes first and if a player is not comfortable it will be hard for him to perform.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:52am On May 24, 2017
Guys the world is already taking notice of this emerging tremor in this part of the world.

This comment from an arsenal forum got me... "We taking the Europa seriously or
using it for this kind of guy?
Nigeria might be where it's at. Iwobi
and the City striker are very talented
youths. All about Nigerian prospects
this GENERATION !"

The comment was borne outta argument about the prospect of signing onyekuru.

contrary to what some us were saying here about onyekururu's move to arsenal, most arsenal fans are rather ecstatic of the move after seeing his videos.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 8:56am On May 24, 2017
Another heartwarming comment from foreigners who appreciate what we have more than we do ourselves

"He has fantastic potential imo. Great
first touches, ball control and
dribbling speed. Very skillful. Looks
very hungry, focused and determined
in his demeanor. Should totally go
for it and at that price. We could sell
Sanogo and Joel to recoup that easily.
Sanogo for nothing obviously."

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:08am On May 24, 2017
In DJ Khaled's voice, another one

"I've never heard of this lad, but
watching some clips of him, he looks
extremely promising. Close skills,
great dribbling, times his runs. For
6.8 million it looks like a real
bargain! Sign him up!"

"Nigeria is where it's at. I can smell a
golden generation coming."

"Nwakali looks excellent as well. All of
their first touches and ball control
stand out."

Nerd I know say body go dey sweet u wt dis comments, if u wan know d forum, give me egunje or...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:19am On May 24, 2017
Well... what can I say? It is so sad really because you are not far from the truth...

Chukwueze ought to have kicked off his European football journey by now...... his handlers are just blowing it for him. It is sad... such a talent with everything "Arjen Robben-ish" in his style of play... really sad...

Just hope he is not lost for good... sad

goldfish80:

This is just agent talk. I don't think any of these sides are coming for this boy . Am not a physic but I see him ending up in Turkey at best. He might even be left with the prospect of kicking off his career at the NPFL like Alhassan.
His agent have succeeded in ruining his career. Kudos to them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:25am On May 24, 2017
looooollll.... you got me... ofcos I love comments like this.... they make you smile at the possibilities that lie ahead for our Football...

But Sir Chriskels... what would you give me if I told you the name of the forum? grin

ChrisKels:
In DJ Khaled's voice, another one

"I've never heard of this lad, but
watching some clips of him, he looks
extremely promising. Close skills,
great dribbling, times his runs. For
6.8 million it looks like a real
bargain! Sign him up!"

"Nigeria is where it's at. I can smell a
golden generation coming."

"Nwakali looks excellent as well. All of
their first touches and ball control
stand out."

Nerd I know say body go dey sweet u wt dis comments, if u wan know d forum, give me egunje or...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:42am On May 24, 2017
Rohr Begins Running The Rule Over Onyekuru 1000 Hours; Seeks First Win Over Corsica

Gernot Rohr will begin running the rule over the Super Eagles players in camp on Wednesday morning.

The Super Eagles will hold their first training session on French soil at 1000 hours local time under the guidance of the German manager in the city of Ajaccio.

The squad will have breakfast at their hotel, Best Western Hotel, Ajaccio Amiraute, before stepping out onto the pitch.

The likes of Henry Onyekuru (Eupen), Dele Alampasu (Cesarense), Chidozie Awaziem (Porto) and Uche Agbo (Watford) will be keenly observed by the coaching staff during the training session.

Rohr is not a stranger in Ajaccio and is understood to have close ties to the Corsican Federation, Ligue Corse de Football.
He managed the local club Ajaccio for a year, and brought the national teams of Gabon (1-1) and Burkina Faso (1-0) to the Island in 2010 and 2015 respectively. The German manager has not won a game over the Islanders.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23157

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:42am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Phewwwww!!!! So uhmmmm.... what did I miss? grin

Sorry Guys and lady (or ladies if we count the ones that view in ghostmode too like Madam Confun, Eseose9, Trudy12 and many more... wink )... been offline for a while....

Sir BascoVanVeli... come on man... You are my homie Sir... smiley

I always gbadun your posts but that comment was a little hostile... just a little... I mean... I saw The funny side to it but come on... I understand we all face days where we are stressed out and just tired... so maybe that's why you responded in that funnily hostile way... Safarigirl didn't wanna come at you... she was just making a comment devoid of anything malicious.

Come on... Believe me when I say If you and Safarigirl were talking face to face... you guys will be laughing over stuffs... I mean.. you two are just lovely people that I wonder what it would be like to have us all in a room.... wink

And hey Safarigirl relax okay.... Sir Basco's comment did come as out a little as hostile but I am sure he doesn't dislike you.... he is a gentleman... and you are the first lady here right? ofcos you are... So let's us get pass that for real...

Hey! Safari... remember when you called me "a girl" and that I know nothing? wink Do you know how I was just laughing about it? Did I clap back at you? come on... I just took it on my chest and understood you were probably just a little over-reacting to our discussion... we all have our moments of overreacting sometimes... but being accommodating is the way forward aiit... wink

Okay now... gimme that smile you have on your dp... (wait I haven't checked if you have changed it... you better not have)

beam it now okay... we are a family here... You First lady Safarigirl, Sir BascoVanVeli, TheGoodJoe (hey Sir GoodJoe, Iffa catch u guys near Alexis sanchez, I am gonna have your teeth), Sir Do4luv14 (hey Man... it is TheSupernerd NOT Spuernerd angry Want me to come take out your teeth? ), Chief Icon4s, Sir Legend Tbaba1234, Boss Joseph 1013 (our pioneer Eagles threads Super OP), Sir Goldfish80, Elder Kog45, Elder Enomakos.... uhmmmmm.... Sir Chrismario, Sir Chriskels, Sir Maidaboi, Sir Nigerdeltaboi, Sir Lordabas, Sir Mickael2, Sir Certitude, Sir Chrisooblog, Sir Forgiveness, Sir Joebie, Sir Mujtahida, Sir Icon79 (o pari master grin ), Sir Terzurum5, Sir Orkpekyandega, Sir Otezu5 (still Terzurum5 grin ), Sir Blackalbino6, Sir Mikron, Sir AIG07, Sir Robosky02 wink , Madam Confun, Sir Komekn, Sir Sontoly, Sir Omanbala1 (OdenigboAroli), Sir Bataderemi, Sir Humility 017 (aka Sir Royalty), Sir Jamel9,..... and uhmmmm....

**Make una clap naa... angry angry e no easy typing all these names accurately from my head with reference to no paper or anything... will come back to add names I may have missed.... wink

So what am I saying? coz I don't damn know if I am making sense at all...

I don't want us carrying any grudge from past issues and arguments into future discussions... okay everybody plss... let's all suck it up and move pass stuffs that can hamper the family hood here.. aiit...

We are a team here all from different backgrounds but we are a team but more than that, family..... exchanging ideas and information central to the progress and growth of our darling team, The Super Eagles and also learning from one another even as we get on just fine with our lives off NL....

So in conclusion... Sir BascoVanveli and First lady Safarigirl.... you guys should just kiss and make up..... and when I say Kiss.... I mean literally... angry Dont laugh now! angry I mean it! Better do it...

Hey Basco... don't you dare laugh.. iffa catch you ehn.. and you too Safari... dont even think about it... angry
And if any of you say "yuck"... I am coming for y'all... angry

I don't care if the likes of Sirs Do4luv14, Icon79, and SirManjar get mad and jealous... grin Just kiss already! smiley

So Sir Basco and Safarigirl... u both are major actors in this thread and part of the reasons I enjoy coming here.... I need you both... please... I really do...

So let's move on now okay... I know you may have moved on in comments but plsss let's move on in our minds too....

And uhmmm Safarigirl...... You owe me 20 bucks for saying no one here have given you a free pass... like seriously? what about me? I always had your back lady... angry say that one more time and I am gonna slap you into another nationality........ angry

Good! smiley

Now back to my labs... Lemme drop a few things I picked up while gone... wink

#HelloThereCorsica.... wink

It is wrong to insinuate that she did nothing wrong. Let us call a spade a spade she was dismissing wat i said as baseless. I can accept people disagreeing with me but when u make it seem like wat I'm saying is silly and shouldn't even be said that is a hard pill to swallow.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:57am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Phewwwww!!!! So uhmmmm.... what did I miss? grin

Sorry Guys and lady (or ladies if we count the ones that view in ghostmode too like Madam Confun, Eseose9, Trudy12 and many more... wink )... been offline for a while....

Sir BascoVanVeli... come on man... You are my homie Sir... smiley

I always gbadun your posts but that comment was a little hostile... just a little... I mean... I saw The funny side to it but come on... I understand we all face days where we are stressed out and just tired... so maybe that's why you responded in that funnily hostile way... Safarigirl didn't wanna come at you... she was just making a comment devoid of anything malicious.

Come on... Believe me when I say If you and Safarigirl were talking face to face... you guys will be laughing over stuffs... I mean.. you two are just lovely people that I wonder what it would be like to have us all in a room.... wink

And hey Safarigirl relax okay.... Sir Basco's comment did come as out a little as hostile but I am sure he doesn't dislike you.... he is a gentleman... and you are the first lady here right? ofcos you are... So let's us get pass that for real...

Hey! Safari... remember when you called me "a girl" and that I know nothing? wink Do you know how I was just laughing about it? Did I clap back at you? come on... I just took it on my chest and understood you were probably just a little over-reacting to our discussion... we all have our moments of overreacting sometimes... but being accommodating is the way forward aiit... wink

Okay now... gimme that smile you have on your dp... (wait I haven't checked if you have changed it... you better not have)

beam it now okay... we are a family here... You First lady Safarigirl, Sir BascoVanVeli, TheGoodJoe (hey Sir GoodJoe, Iffa catch u guys near Alexis sanchez, I am gonna have your teeth), Sir Do4luv14 (hey Man... it is TheSupernerd NOT Spuernerd angry Want me to come take out your teeth? ), Chief Icon4s, Sir Legend Tbaba1234, Boss Joseph 1013 (our pioneer Eagles threads Super OP), Sir Goldfish80, Elder Kog45, Elder Enomakos.... uhmmmmm.... Sir Chrismario, Sir Chriskels, Sir Maidaboi, Sir Nigerdeltaboi, Sir Lordabas, Sir Mickael2, Sir Certitude, Sir Chrisooblog, Sir Forgiveness, Sir Joebie, Sir Mujtahida, Sir Icon79 (o pari master grin ), Sir Terzurum5, Sir Orkpekyandega, Sir Otezu5 (still Terzurum5 grin ), Sir Blackalbino6, Sir Mikron, Sir AIG07, Sir Robosky02 wink , Madam Confun, Sir Komekn, Sir Sontoly, Sir Omanbala1 (OdenigboAroli), Sir Bataderemi, Sir Humility 017 (aka Sir Royalty), Sir Jamel9,..... and uhmmmm....

**Make una clap naa... angry angry e no easy typing all these names accurately from my head with reference to no paper or anything... will come back to add names I may have missed.... wink

So what am I saying? coz I don't damn know if I am making sense at all...

I don't want us carrying any grudge from past issues and arguments into future discussions... okay everybody plss... let's all suck it up and move pass stuffs that can hamper the family hood here.. aiit...

We are a team here all from different backgrounds but we are a team but more than that, family..... exchanging ideas and information central to the progress and growth of our darling team, The Super Eagles and also learning from one another even as we get on just fine with our lives off NL....

So in conclusion... Sir BascoVanveli and First lady Safarigirl.... you guys should just kiss and make up..... and when I say Kiss.... I mean literally... angry Dont laugh now! angry I mean it! Better do it...

Hey Basco... don't you dare laugh.. iffa catch you ehn.. and you too Safari... dont even think about it... angry
And if any of you say "yuck"... I am coming for y'all... angry

I don't care if the likes of Sirs Do4luv14, Icon79, and SirManjar get mad and jealous... grin Just kiss already! smiley

So Sir Basco and Safarigirl... u both are major actors in this thread and part of the reasons I enjoy coming here.... I need you both... please... I really do...

So let's move on now okay... I know you may have moved on in comments but plsss let's move on in our minds too....

And uhmmm Safarigirl...... You owe me 20 bucks for saying no one here have given you a free pass... like seriously? what about me? I always had your back lady... angry say that one more time and I am gonna slap you into another nationality........ angry

Good! smiley

Now back to my labs... Lemme drop a few things I picked up while gone... wink

#HelloThereCorsica.... wink

kiss gini,

hmmmm make I just take one eyes and ear dey hear and see first grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:00am On May 24, 2017
Okay okay... fine... i know what you mean aiit... you suggested Inter Milan and she said they aren't even among the interested clubs... to her, she was just pointing out that inter shouldn't be on the list since they are not officially among the clubs going for Nacho.... and to you, you were just making a wild suggestion based on where you feel Nacho will get chances to really grow and shine.... so I get it okay.... yeah.... from your angle, her comment kinda sounded dismissive... but I am sure she meant no harm... sad

Come on Sir Basco... come on man smiley

can "the kiss" hold now Sir Basco? wink.

Come on Sir Basco... it's me... smiley

Do it for me will ya? wink

Thank you Man... that's part of why I love ya... grin

BascoVanVeli:

It is wrong to insinuate that she did nothing wrong. Let us call a spade a spade she was dismissing wat i said as baseless. I can accept people disagreeing with me but when u make it seem like wat I'm saying is silly and shouldn't even be said that is a hard pill to swallow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:03am On May 24, 2017
I knew one of you three musketeer-suitors must show up.... smiley.

Jealousy.... grin
Hahahahahahahahaha.....

do4luv14:

kiss gini,

hmmmm make I just take one eyes and ear dey hear and see first grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:10am On May 24, 2017
Exclusive – Austrian Club Orders Olarewaju Kayode Out Of Eagles Friendly Vs Corsica

Olarewaju Kayode will miss the Super Eagles friendly game against Corsica after his club Austria Wien had a late change of mind over his release for the game.

Kayode was initially told he won’t be released for the game which falls under the FIFA window for friendly game, but the player confirmed two days ago that his club have finally agreed to release him after they secure qualification for the Europa League.

Coach of Austria Wien Thorsten Fink told Kayode yesterday that he won’t be released until after their game against Red Bull Salzburg on Thursday, meaning he can only leave Austria for France on Friday.

The coach of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr who is also a German like Kayode’s coach at Austria Wien has told Kayode to make sure he is in camp on Saturday, which means he could play some part in the friendly game against Togo on the 1st of June.

A devastated Kayode was also told in clear terms by Rohr that he can’t guarantee him a spot in the team for the game against South Africa in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers in Uyo on the 10th of June.

**Ade Emmanuel

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/05/24/exclusive-austrian-club-orders-olarewaju-kayode-out-of-eagles-friendly-vs-corsica/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:38am On May 24, 2017
bataderemi:

U are right. But the problem is tagging the league backwater. It's not like the EPL teams particularly do anything in Europe. You are saying Tottenham had a lacklustre display and Kane hit the post, so that's Gent's fault? If you're talented, you're talented, and if you will make it, it depends more on hard work than anything. EPL defenders are not witches or anything. Even Jesus said he thought EPL would be harder, he was playing in Brazil.

The EPL is in my opinion the most competitive league in Europe. With regard to physicalilty and speed it has far greater intensity than any other league.

The Spanish league has literally been dominated by two teams. The Bundesliga the same thing infact in recent years it's become a one horse race with Bayern.

The EPL will have almost 6 teams competing at any one time. It's at the latter stages 3/4 teams create distance but not huge like LaLiga & Bundesliga.

The players that make it here are world class or have some outstanding world class attributes. Gabriel is outstanding and world class and to think he was only 19 and tearing up the premiership. Consider 10 games and 7 goals in the toughest, fastest league in the World.

A league that is rated in the lower 10th segment (UEFA) what would you call it mid water. Ukraine league is rated higher and it's on par with the Turkish league.

The bleachereport rates Belgium at 13 and the EPL as the best.

So whatever way you look at it Belgium league is at the back. You didn't consider my earlier post in which I stated the real test of quality is not just one game but the whole season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:43am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I knew one of you three musketeer-suitors must show up.... smiley.

Jealousy.... grin
Hahahahahahahahaha.....

this one don pass jealousy ooo, mak im no try sidon near her sef shishi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:49am On May 24, 2017
Olarenwaju Out Of Corsica Friendly, Available For Togo ; Musa , Ndidi , Iheanacho Arrive Camp today
By Johnny Edward

Austria Wien striker kayode Olarenwaju has been ruled out of the Friday's international friendly against Corsica after his club coach, Thorsten Finks reneged on an agreement with the Super Eagles Technical adviser Gernot Rohr to allow the 22 year old join the squad today (Wednesday), reports Completesportsnigeria.com .

The miss could however hamper Olarenwaju's chances of making the squad to face South Africa in a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier on June 10 in Uyo, it was also gathered.

"Kayode has been ruled out of the game on Friday, but he is expected to join the squad on Saturday after playing in Thursday's clash against Salzburg," a team official told Completesportsnigeria.com .

"He will now join the team at the weekend in Paris ahead of the second friendly against Togo on Thursday.

Leicester City duo of Ahmed Musa and Wilfred Ndidi are expected to arrive Corsica later today ahead ofFriday's international friendly at the Stade Francois Coty in Ajacci.

Also expected in camp later today is Manchester City forward Kelechi Iheanacho, Shehu Abdullahi and Portugal-based midfielder Mikel Agu.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/olarenwaju-corsica-friendly-available-togo-musa-ndidi-iheanacho-arrive-camp-today/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:53am On May 24, 2017
Looollll.... Sorry oooo.... but I am with them already.... and we are all seated close to each other.... wink

So uhmmmm... don't develop tachycardia u hia..... Hahahahahahahahaha....

do4luv14:

this one don pass jealousy ooo, mak im no try sidon near her sef shishi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:57am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Sources close to Watford's Isaac Success deny West Ham reports

Reports linking Isaac Success with a summer move to West Ham are wide of the mark.

The promising young forward has endured a turbulent first season at Watford, starting only twice and playing barely 500 minutes of football, as injuries took their toll on his Premier League campaign, as did falling out of favour with head coach Walter Mazzarri.

The Observer has learned Mazzarri was unimpressed with what he perceived a poor attitude from the 21-year-old which limited his first-team involvement, but Success will face a clean slate under the Hornets' next head coach.

After playing a bit-part role at Vicarage Road speculation over his future is little surprise, however sources close to the player have indicated there is no truth to recent articles suggesting there have been discussions over his future with the Hammers.
Success has made 19 appearances for Watford, scoring once.

Source: http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/watfordfc/watfordfcnews/15300730.Success_sources_rubbish_West_Ham_link/
the fans love success and beleive he was not giving the chance he deserved
judging by their comments
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:01am On May 24, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Looollll.... Sorry oooo.... but I am with them already.... and we are all seated close to each other.... wink

So uhmmmm... don't develop tachycardia u hia..... Hahahahahahahahaha....

sir you dey fail ma hand ooo chaiii, you carry my UN-OFFICIAL crush go corner for one bobo to touch chaiiii, oga ooooooooooo......
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 11:06am On May 24, 2017
maidaboi:
the fans love success and beleive he was not giving the chance he deserved
judging by their comments

the writing had been on the wall since,
am glad that man is outta the fringe of things now,

bye bye MAZZARI carry ur wahala go

(1) (2) (3) ... (964) (965) (966) (967) (968) (969) (970) ... (16129) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Marjoribanks, joxxy01(m), Theben(m) and 20 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.