Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,663 members, 7,820,331 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:14 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2180) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11701629 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2177) (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) (2182) (2183) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:31pm On Nov 19, 2017
tbaba12345:

Dessers is still young... He just moved up to Utrecht this season from a lesser club so his career is on a upward trend. You should watch him first.

At 23, Suarez was still in the Dutch league..

Yes Suarez was still in the Dutch league with their biggest club Ajax, and one of the best strikers in the league back then. So don't even compare Suarez to him .

And Dessers is 22 years old so not so "young"

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 11:34pm On Nov 19, 2017
If Enyeama stays retired, then i will back Uzoho to be number 1 at the WC... Granted, he is still young but many top keepers made their break-through as teenagers. Casillas made his name in the 2002 Champions league final when Ceasar got hurt. The rest is history..

Let us start playing him in all our Grade A friendlies to give him a taste and prepare him.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 11:36pm On Nov 19, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Yes Suarez was still in the Dutch league with their biggest club Ajax, and one of the best strikers in the league back then. So don't even compare Suarez to him .

And Dessers is 22 years old so not so "young"

This is his first season in the top flight after scoring 29 goals last year.

He is certainly on the rise.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:36pm On Nov 19, 2017
Please did Joel have a relapse? I learnt he won the MOTM against Chievo and he was also subbed off around 60mns or so.

Tbaba1234, Joebie et al
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 11:39pm On Nov 19, 2017
ChrisKels:
Please did Joel have a relapse? I learnt he won the MOTM against Chievo and he was also subbed off around 60mns or so.

Tbaba1234, Joebie et al

No news, maybe it was tactical or as a precaution... He was one of the better players before he was subbed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:44pm On Nov 19, 2017
safarigirl:
how can you be certain when you have not watched him?

Certainty based on what? You are asking why he is still in Utrecht, because everyone is not lucky enough to start from your big leagues and big teams. It doesn't make him a bad player and Utrecht is a step up from where he was. That is sign of PROGRESS. If he hadn't moved up then you can say all this, but he has.

Do not knock a man's hustle in such a disrespectful manner. If you have not watched him, then be quiet about how good you THINK he is.

Last I checked our best RB is playing for a team in Cyprus, if we had never seen him in action in the GwG, someone like you would have come here to post uninformed info and pass it on as fact
Good! Let him keep progressing and not tag him as though he's a world class.

He's good judging by his stats for NAC Breda his former club. But that just a one season achievement. Remember we're talking about super Eagles here and not one small football team.

Can he easily walk into our first 11?.

He's a player in progress tank God you acknowledge that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 11:49pm On Nov 19, 2017
Yup. That's why he ain't been in epl

somehow:
How manage? Dem dey sign ref too?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:50pm On Nov 19, 2017
MetalJigsaw:

He's good judging by his stats for NAC Breda his former club. But that just a one season achievement. Remember we're talking about super Eagles here and not one small football team.

nobody is tagging him world class..

And so what if it is the Super Eagles? Is it not your Super Eagles that is in Pot 4 in World Cup seedings? Is that a World Class team that Dessers cannot break into? So, if he cannot break into the Belgian team that is in Pot 1, he should not break into a team in Pot 4?

Try him first, if it doesn't work out, fine. He has declared for us, he is a decent player with a better goal scoring record than some of our forwards and in a better league than others, so let us not assume his competition is in the mold of Lukaku or even Gabriel Jesus.

PS: 90% of our CURRENT players are IN PROGRESS.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:03am On Nov 20, 2017
So far this season, the top scorer in the Eredivisie has 9goals and 3assists in 832mins while Dessers has 5goals and an assist in 695mins.

Lozano plays in a better team PSV Eindhoven

PSV tops the league with 33points while Utrecht is in the fifth position with 20 points ahead of teams like feyenord, ebuehi's Adodenhag, Chelsea extension "vitesse" etc. It has been Dessers and Zakaria's goals keeping his team up there.

If we go by komekn's logic ; Be the best in your club and one of, if not the best in the league in order to merit an attention, then Dessers is worth the whole hype considering his age, his team and his numbers.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:12am On Nov 20, 2017
MetalJigsaw:

A team that has a whack player like Moses Simon as a starter in an attacking position and a team that was fighting for an over hyped average striker like Tammy, shouldn't question the abilities of such strikers as Dessers.

BTW, about the other day, my moniker on kickoff was chrisjoe

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:13am On Nov 20, 2017
safarigirl:

And so what if it is the Super Eagles? Is it not your Super Eagles that is in Pot 4 in World Cup seedings? Is that a World Class team that Dessers cannot break into? So, if he cannot break into the Belgian team that is in Pot 1, he should not break into a team in Pot 4?

Try him first, if it doesn't work out, fine. He has declared for us, he is a decent player with a better goal scoring record than some of our forwards and in a better league than others, so let us not assume his competition is in the mold of Lukaku or even Gabriel Jesus.

Firstly, you and I know that the FIFA ranking is very controversial. Its a proven fact... Take a look at all the teams in higher pots and you'll pick several teams that aren't as good as our team. Despite our current form and achievent this year FIFA still dropped our rankings to three places, what does that imply to you?

If Dessers' current club FC Utrecht was to be ranked in Europe, would they be in top 50?

Is SE not a football powerhouse in Africa and the world? Could the same be said about Utrecht?

We are regular participant in the WC. Does Utrecht play in the Europa league let alone UCL?

Tell me Just one player he can displace in the SE team. Just one
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:21am On Nov 20, 2017
ChrisKels:

A team that has a whack player like Moses Simon as a starter in an attacking position and a team that was fighting for an over hyped average striker like Tammy, shouldn't question the abilities of such strikers as Dessers.

BTW, By the other day, my moniker on kickoff was chrisjoe
Moses Simon a whack player? then how come he's a regular starter at his club and even their set piece taker? Hoe come he's constantly invited to SE even before Rohr's appointment?

Tammy is oveehyped, I agree. But at least he's Swansea's number 1 striker and a Chelsea player. So he's not in same class with your Dessers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:27am On Nov 20, 2017
Highest ranked player according to socascore. 2nd highest ranked by whoscored.
Following the commentary, it seems it was just a tactical change..

ChrisKels:

Tbaba1234, Joebie et al
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:29am On Nov 20, 2017
At least I can use Ebuehi to measure the dutch league, and I believe there are more fine players there.

safarigirl:

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 12:36am On Nov 20, 2017
FIFA ranking is a joke

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:43am On Nov 20, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Moses Simon a whack player? then how come he's a regular starter at his club and even their set piece taker? Hoe come he's constantly invited to SE even before Rohr's appointment?

Tammy is oveehyped, I agree. But at least he's Swansea's number 1 striker and a Chelsea player. So he's not in same class with your Dessers.

How many goals has your Simon this season and what's the position of Gent in the jupiler league? Lol Tammy being a Chelsea player is now a factor? Gael Kakuta was also a Chelsea player bro and he had more hype than Tammy. To me, Tammy is another Yaya Sanogo. Yes Tammy is Swansea' top striker little wonder Swansea is second from the bottom with 8points. If he was worth the hype, Swansea wouldn't be languishing in the relegation dugout. Watch Swansea dump him soon for a better striker to rescue them from the jaws of relegation.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:44am On Nov 20, 2017
Joebie:
Highest ranked player according to socascore. 2nd highest ranked by whoscored.
Following the commentary, it seems it was just a tactical change..

Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:55am On Nov 20, 2017
EXCITING WINGER SAMUEL KALU SCORES FOURTH LEAGUE GOAL IN GENT WIN

Published: November 19, 2017
Nigerian winger Samuel Kalu was on target for his Belgian topflight side KAA Gent in an emphatic 3-0 win against Sporting Lokeren on Sunday evening. The 20-year-old who has been making headlines in Belgium with his trickery and dynamism profited from a Brecht Dejaegere's assist to double his side's lead in 76th minute of the second period, after the provider has earlier put the team ahead with a deft finish. And French playmaker, Samuel Gigot added another six minutes from stoppage time to ensure the points and hand Gent their fifth win of the league season. While he made way for Thomas Foket in the 78th minute, his compatriots, Anderson Esiti and Moses Simon were on for the entire duration of the game, with the former picking up a yellow on 88th minutes. With the win, Gent leapfrogged their opponents who are in 12th position into 10th on the league log, having garnered 19 points from 15 outings while Lokeren have 16 from the same amount of games.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:58am On Nov 20, 2017
ChrisKels:

How many goals has your Simon this season and what's the position of Gent in the jupiler league? Lol Tammy being a Chelsea player is now a factor? Gael Kakuta was also a Chelsea player bro and he had more hype than Tammy. To me, Tammy is another Yaya Sanogo. Yes Tammy is Swansea' top striker little wonder Swansea is second from the bottom with 8points. If he was worth the hype, Swansea wouldn't be languishing in the relegation dugout. Watch Swansea dump him soon for a better striker to rescue them from the jaws of relegation.
Simon Moses is not a striker but a winger and if he isn't performing his basic duties effectively he won't be one of his clubs favorite 11.

About Tammy, no matter how bad you term him. He's still not in Dessers category/class for obvious reasons.

Let Dessers move to a Decent European club and lets see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 1:00am On Nov 20, 2017
Joebie:
NPFL UPDATE

One of the reasons our league is still poor..

Most NPFL clubs don't have a feeder team and the transfer policy is just rubbish...

Some clubs will hold open trails and recruit anybody.. That's why u see 30 years old men posing as 20 years in the NPFL..

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:01am On Nov 20, 2017
Napoleon55:
FIFA ranking is a joke
100% true. A big joke.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:10am On Nov 20, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Simon Moses is not a striker but a winger and if he isn't performing his basic duties effectively he won't be one of his clubs favorite 11.

About Tammy, no matter how bad you term him. He's still not in Dessers category/class for obvious reasons.

Let Dessers move to a Decent European club and lets see.

Then he (Tammy) should prove he is up there with the big boys. He can't continue riding on the back of his exploits in the championship else he remains a flash in the pan. Dessers had similar exploits and he's picked up from where he left off after making the step up to a better league. Tammy will remain all hype and no jack until he proves his mettle now that he is in a better league.

I used Simon to drive home a point and u straggled, but even at that, a fellow winger in Samuel Kalu is also performing his primary duties as a winger at same club yet his numbers still speak loud unlike ur Simon's

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:18am On Nov 20, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Firstly, you and I know that the FIFA ranking is very controversial. Its a proven fact... Take a look at all the teams in higher pots and you'll pick several teams that aren't as good as our team. Despite our current form and achievent this year FIFA still dropped our rankings to three places, what does that imply to you?

If Dessers' current club FC Utrecht was to be ranked in Europe, would they be in top 50?

Is SE not a football powerhouse in Africa and the world? Could the same be said about Utrecht?

We are regular participant in the WC. Does Utrecht play in the Europa league let alone UCL?

Tell me Just one player he can displace in the SE team. Just one
oh. So, it is Ado Den Hagg that plays in Europa?

Did Bursaspor or Mainz qualify for Europa and we never got the memo?

No, Leicester is in Europa constantly?

Your argument is highly flawed, how many players in our first XI play for Europa teams? Why then should Dessers play for a team in Europa?

You are asking me who he can displace? Invite him to camp and then we'll know.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:31am On Nov 20, 2017
forgiveness:

Sometimes when I read comments here, I go just dey turn belle.

Who is that elorado player better than Joel Obi in the national team playing his role?

i decided to watch his game today,unfortunately i could not watch the first half,but the second half that i watched,for about 15',his leg didn't touch ball,up till he was subbed off,he did not make any meaningful contribution,for about 5 or 6 times he tried to make contact with the ball,he fell down 3 or 4 times,then he was removed.
i didn't know about the first half,just the second half,but from the 30' i watched,that kind player is not going to do anything better than what we have.
the fact is that after Mikel,we don't have another attacking midfielder that can control the game,Joel Obi can not do the job.

i don't know the standard u want SE to attain, for me,i'm looking at the standard we can be able to compete with the best,we are talking about winning the world cup in 2022,is it all these type of players you have been mentioning every now and then that we are going use to win the world cup,or even AFCON?
it's not just any player u c playing in europe should be invited if we are serious of winning any trophy,we have gone beyond just participating in tournaments,we should b able to aim of winning not just participating,that's why it's not every player should b invited just because he is a good footballer.
u want to win a WC,u will invite a player like Joel Obi that will perform for one game,then get injured in the next game,and the rest of the tournament,n start looking 4 rplacement.

i don't know the kind of result you want to achieve with all these your players.
try to check the type of players that have won something for us in the past and c how good they were.
players in the mold of Kanu,Okocha,Finidi Olisey,Mikel,etc that's the type of players u should b clamouring for,if u can't c these type players i have mentioned,don't disturb us with all these type of players u and Komekn kept throwing at us as if they are going to win us WC if they are invited.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:02am On Nov 20, 2017
safarigirl:
oh. So, it is Ado Den Hagg that plays in Europa?

Did Bursaspor or Mainz qualify for Europa and we never got the memo?

No, Leicester is in Europa constantly?

Your argument is highly flawed, how many players in our first XI play for Europa teams? Why then should Dessers play for a team in Europa?

You are asking me who he can displace? Invite him to camp and then we'll know.
Tyronne has not done enough to overtake Shehu in the starting 11 after just 45 minutes of a match. So his place is still the bench; So he's not worth it just yet so leave ADO DEN HAAG out of the issue.

The German league is way above the Eredivisie so don't compare Mainz 05 to that low Utrecht. If they were a German club would they even bee playing in the Bundeliga?

Leicester City won EPL 2yrs ago and qualified for the UCL. Even if they never achieved this feat, how could you compare an EPL team to Utrecht

Bursaspor have seen Europa league action twice in the past four years. When last did Utrecht even make top six in their league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 2:18am On Nov 20, 2017
ChrisKels:

Then he (Tammy) should prove he is up there with the big boys. He can't continue riding on the back of his exploits in the championship else he remains a flash in the pan. Dessers had similar exploits and he's picked up from where he left off after making the step up to a better league. Tammy will remain all hype and no jack until he proves his mettle now that he is in a better league.

I used Simon to drive home a point and u straggled, but even at that, a fellow winger in Samuel Kalu is also performing his primary duties as a winger at same club yet his numbers still speak loud unlike ur Simon's
OK let's get thing straight...

A player who played and emerged as one of the finest goal poachers in the English Championship being compared to one who played in the Erste Liga, the Dutch second tier league?.

Its like placing the winner of UCL and the CAF Champions League winner in one spot. Does that tally to you??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andysnoopy(m): 4:50am On Nov 20, 2017
tbaba12345:
If Enyeama stays retired, then i will back Uzoho to be number 1 at the WC... Granted, he is still young but many top keepers made their break-through as teenagers. Casillas made his name in the 2002 Champions league final when Ceasar got hurt. The rest is history..

Let us start playing him in all our Grade A friendlies to give him a taste and prepare him.

I am so sure I watched cassillas in the champions league final against Valencia in 2000. By 2002 he's already a seasoned pro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:12am On Nov 20, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
Oga let me hear word! Luiz Suarez ke, what of Lionel Messi.

I[b]haven't watch him play doesn't mean I can't predict how good he is. I don't have to watch him play before I know his category.[/b]

If he's that good what keeps him stuck with FC Utrecht

Is he even better than Ighalo, Kayode or even Henry?

I'm not saying he's not a good player but I'm certain he's just a bit above average, if not average a player, simple
Just try and watch him but I doubt you'd see anything beyond what you want to see. You seem to have already made up your mind.
It was also on this thread that I heard about dessers,onuachu and Dennis . I took my time and watched them and I must say that I was impressed by desser and onuachu. I know dessers still at the lower levels so to speak but he's got it. He has the thing.
Its about having an eye. We cannot all be singing his song if he doesn't have 'it'.
Meanwhile nobody is saying he's all gold. Do you know who discovered dessers for Nigeria? Rohr himself. It was rohr who told him to move higher.he has and he's still hitting goals.
Read this:http://dailypost.ng/2017/07/04/rohr-convinced-dump-belgium-super-eagles-dessers/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 5:52am On Nov 20, 2017
junnyjake:

Spaniards don't give a sh¡t about us, those guys are the most receptive of Nigerian players than anyone out there, go figure.

Their fans were the ones who pushed for Francis's debut, after his eye catching performances at the B team.

Receptive? how? Belgium, holland, England and turkey just to name a few are more receptive of Africans than Spain. what was the point of giving the boy his debut if they didn't think he could compete. If it were to be a Spanish 19 year old GK, lord knows he's gonna have been the first choice goalkeeper, it's not an experience issue.
He's shown his potential and shown that he is ready, why delay his progress all cause of some flimsy excuse, coming from the guy who was the supposed coach of the b team before Mel was sacked, if he's own youth coach who should know more about him than anyone of us can't trust him then I feel the politics there don't favor him. He's a 19year old goalie who's made his la Liga and SE debut, he won't be short on suitors, Belgian teams don't have a problem giving young players like him a shot.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:01am On Nov 20, 2017
Danielnino00:

One of the reasons our league is still poor..

Most NPFL clubs don't have a feeder team and the transfer policy is just rubbish...

Some clubs will hold open trails and recruit anybody.. That's why u see 30 years old men posing as 20 years in the NPFL..

I think almost every club has feeders if I'm not mistaken
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 6:11am On Nov 20, 2017
andysnoopy:

I am so sure I watched cassillas in the champions league final against Valencia in 2000. By 2002 he's already a seasoned pro

You are correct. He kept his first champions league game in the 1999-2000 season at 18 years.

He kept in the 2000 final but lost his place to Ceasar in the 2001–02 season. An injury to Ceasar in the final gave him an opportunity again. He was outstanding that night. He dd not lose it again...

(1) (2) (3) ... (2177) (2178) (2179) (2180) (2181) (2182) (2183) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lordofstrings, kingphilip(m), Hanibal(m), Theben(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.