Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:12 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (447) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11594561 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (16121) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:18am On Jan 10, 2017
Mickael2:

thank you. forget that lad, let's move on with what we have. since he is at the Nike academy, it means he has a good agent probably employed by Nike themselves, little wonder why you are noticing him at all

He is at Hannover now.. He is on the verge on a first team place but we have not seen enough of him... He does seem highly rated though..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:26am On Jan 10, 2017
It's frustrating having your account logged out for days.

I have never enjoyed this Forum as a guest.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:42am On Jan 10, 2017

Mikel a Chelsea Legend - John Terry

Biyi Akangbe

[img]https://1.bp..com/-E23KsEdGq0U/WHFQFZaF3fI/AAAAAAAACnc/7X-o0vjYkfwzxHSpskZhJaYfuQNeHlt9QCLcB/s1600/Mikel-and-Terry.jpg[/img]
John Obi Mikel has been named a Chelsea legend following his departure from the Premier League club.

Mikel completed a move away from Chelsea on Friday, as he signed a three-year contract with Chinese Super League side Tianjin Teda after spending nearly 11 years in West London.

The 29-year old was a huge success at Stamford Bridge, as he helped the Blues to 11 titles, and played under great managerslike Jose Mourinho, Carlo Ancelotti, Luis Felipe Scolari, Andre Vilas Boas, Roberto di Matteo, Guus Hiddink, and Antonio Conte.
Conferring him with the status of legend is none other than Chelsea’s ‘Leader, Captain, Legend’, John Terry, who is the club’s longest serving player and a bonafide legend of the club.

He said of Mikel: “I would like to wish this LEGEND of a player and man all the very best with his move to China “Gutted to see you go "Old Boy" gonna miss you both on and off the pitch, so many great memories together.”

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/01/mikel-chelsea-legend-john-terry.html
[/quote]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:45am On Jan 10, 2017

Ndidi excited over Leicester debut win

Biyi Akangbe

[img]https://4.bp..com/-_9DAVuJAZVs/WHKqZts_AMI/AAAAAAAACns/5lnZRTo_WSMnmwRpdbDSbHGp2FoXZEdPgCLcB/s1600/Ndidi.jpg[/img]
Super Eagles midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi is excited with his Leicester City debut following the club’s comeback 2-1 win in the FA Cup clash against Everton at the Goodison Park on Saturday.

The 20-year-old midfielder was in action all-90 minutes for the England champions in the away encounter. Reacting on the historic win, Ndidi expressed his excitement with the outcome of the result.

“Excited about my debut, good game,good win with goals from @7myca. Shoutout to the fans who made it to goodison park, We won’t stop now,” Ndidi wrote on twitter.

Ahmed Musa was the hero in the game as he scored the two goals that gave his side victory against the Toffees, as they advanced in the competition.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/01/ndidi-excited-over-leicester-debut-win.html
[/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:57am On Jan 10, 2017

Ideye scores as Olympiacos beat Xanthi

Biyi Akangbe

[img]https://2.bp..com/-w98qs522AgQ/WHKvD3Gh5FI/AAAAAAAACn4/7iIuE2Eye6QuCjzxpTpwaU7AbKapWdYqwCLcB/s1600/Ideye.jpg[/img]
Super Eagles striker, Brown Ideye netted his ninth goal of the season for Olympiacos FC in their 2-0 win against Xanthi Skoda in the Greek Super League clash decided on Sunday.

Ideye scored the goal quite early in the 38 minute, while Serbian midfielder, Luka Milovojevic scored the second goal late in the 89th minute as the game ended 2-0 in favour of the Red-Whites.

The 28-year-old Nigerian striker was in full time action for the Greek champions in manager Paulo Bento squad in the away encounter.

The two sides finished the game with 10-men eachafter Xanthi’s Christos Lisgaras and Olympiacos’ Brazilian midfielder, Seba were shown straight red for their unruly behaviour 60th minute in the second half.

Meanwhile, Olympiacos maintained the lead on the table with 34 points from 13 round of matches by beating second placed Xanthi 2-0 in the current Super League season.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/01/ideye-scores-as-olympiacos-beat-xanthi.html
[/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:59am On Jan 10, 2017

Okocha tips Iwobi to win CAF Player of the Year

Biyi Akangbe

[img]https://1.bp..com/-1h11FgeBNtI/WHQPQ1vXo3I/AAAAAAAACoY/NmPs-KtJDIU9vkWW7khHq-J50oAGXJtlwCLcB/s1600/Alex-Iwobi.jpg[/img]
After winning the 2016 CAF Youth Player of the Year at the 2017 GLO-CAF Awards, Alex Iwobi has been tipped to be named Player of the Year in the nearest future.

Iwobi rounded up a fantastic 2016 by emerging winner of the CAF Youth Player of the Year and his uncle and Super Eagles great, Austin Okocha believes the youngster will win the Player of the Year award very soon.

No Nigerian has won the award since Kanu Nwankwo in1999 but Okocha believes his nephew, Iwobi can break that jinx.

"It is not fair that no Nigerian player has been able to win the African footballer of the year since Nwankwo Kanu in 1999,” said Okocha to Complete Sports.

“We have come close on some occasions but we will get there soon."

"I see the likes of young Kelechi Iheanacho, Alex Iwobi, Troost Ekong, Victor Osimhen and others winning future African player of the year awards. It is a generation thing; our generation dominated Africa then we missed out for long. We'll be there again.

"Iwobi, Iheanacho and other up-and-coming youngsters will definitely climb the rostrum as African footballer of the year in say two to three years' time. I am positive about this."

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/01/okocha-tips-iwobi-to-win-caf-player-of.html
[/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:00am On Jan 10, 2017
Joseph1013 am I a copy cat
Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:06am On Jan 10, 2017
Infantino commiserates with NFF over killing of Nigerian player
Biyi Akangbe

[img]https://1.bp..com/-4RHETxmLxrA/WHQROst-tvI/AAAAAAAACok/7woB27Vd5wwQCBmB2FtyApXo-RMoGSheACLcB/s1600/uzama-douglas.jpg[/img]
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has written to NFF President Amaju Pinnick to commiserate with Nigeria over the killing of former youth international Douglas Uzama.

In a letter dated 6th January and personally signed by him, the FIFA supremo wrote: “I would like to express my deepest sympathy on hearing the news of the tragic passing of Nigerian youth international Douglas Uzama.

“On behalf of FIFA and the worldwide family of football, please allow me to extend my deepest condolences to the football community of Nigeria, and most importantly, to his family, friends and loved ones.

“We hope that, in some way, our words of support may help bring a little bit of peace and solace in this time of sadness.”

Former U17 and U20 international player Uzama, who was on the books of Gombe United FC, was murdered by unknown persons in Benin City, Edo State on Thursday, 29th December 2016. The NFF has already called on the Nigeria Police to intensify the search for his killers in order to bring them to justice.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/01/infantino-commiserates-with-nff-over.html
[/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:10am On Jan 10, 2017
Mikel right to move to China - Salisu

Biyi Akangbe

[img]https://2.bp..com/-rooTbdRD9EI/WHQSQa9arzI/AAAAAAAACos/g-afdO7gBncX_HPVbKSucD-zfheRzZ7fgCLcB/s1600/john-obi-mikel-1.jpg[/img]
Super Eagles’ Chief Coach, Salisu Yusuf has disclosed that former Chelsea midfielder, John Mikel Obi was right to move to the Chinese Super League (CSL) judging by his experience with the Stamford Bridge landlords since the beginning of the season.

Yusuff told SportingLife that it was not proper for Mikel Obi not to be playing the sport he enjoys regularly and that he would always support any decision taken by the ex-Lyn Oslo midfielder for him to play regular football again.

He said the wealth of experience of Mikel Obi would still be needed by the Eagles and that he won’t be able to give that if he is not playing regularly for his team.

Yusuf also hinted that he was delighted with the switch of Wilfred Ndidi to Leicester City of England from the Belgian side, RKC Genk while asserting that the Eagles’ utility player would be a better player under Claudio Ranieri in the EPL.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/01/mikel-right-to-move-to-china-salisu.html
[/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:56am On Jan 10, 2017
tbaba1234:
How many players from the Nike Academy have moved to big clubs? They all seem go to lower league sides from what i have seen.

Well noticed

Furthermore although winning games is not the complete test for football development it is still one of numerous indicator for football development.

My query is not to say he is not good enough when I saw him. I Watched him not specifically but generally and he was not a stand out player.

Then to go from that to National team in less than two years Hmmmmm. Well he's got a good agent.

His team mate at Nike academy a central defender was signed by Burnley and he is of Nigerian origin.

This forum is about information and opinions some even first hand. And pointing out the best prospects or what may be the best prospects.

By the way in my post about Burnley it may seem misleading I did not do match analysis for Burnley FC but myself and another party.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:01am On Jan 10, 2017
terzurum5:
Joseph1013 am I a copy cat
Lol

You're doing well. LOL

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:10am On Jan 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Reviews says Fabian is promising. The Journalist seems to think so. The coaches at Nike Academy thought so and he was captain all through. Before Nike Academy, he was also the captain of the academy.

No one says he is ready for the Super Eagles. We are saying, check if he is ready. He has pledged his allegiance to his Motherland.

He plays with his right and left foot comfortably. For a full back, that is nice. I hope Rohr invites him and check if he is ready.

I do not think Leon Balogun would go through the trouble of convincing him to pledge his international future to Nigeria if he did not think Fabian could help the team.

You can argue !!!

See whaaaaten you de talk, tink am wellu. Of course the coaches are going to hype him na thier market. Friendly journalists will of course second thier view and his friend Balogun go obviously support.

So my first hand opinion is rubbish abe because thier eye better pass my own abe. All the time he was at Nike academy in the shop window no English club show face for him. It doesn't mean he's bad but nobody is thinking he is good enough.

It is what we know as packaging, you sef if to say you be ibo man I go say nwayo nwayo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:37am On Jan 10, 2017
tbaba1234:
Oliseh's star, Paul Onobi back in Nigeria with Abia Warriors after a short stint in Finland.

grin

I almost broke my TV in anger when Oliseh started Onobi ahead of Mikel in one of those games. angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:44am On Jan 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Reviews says Fabian is promising. The Journalist seems to think so. The coaches at Nike Academy thought so and he was captain all through. Before Nike Academy, he was also the captain of the academy.

No one says he is ready for the Super Eagles. We are saying, check if he is ready. He has pledged his allegiance to his Motherland.

He plays with his right and left foot comfortably. For a full back, that is nice. I hope Rohr invites him and check if he is ready.

I do not think Leon Balogun would go through the trouble of convincing him to pledge his international future to Nigeria if he did not think Fabian could help the team.

How I wish Nigeria is still in the running for the AYC and WYC. The WYC in particular would have been a good avenue to test some of these young promising talents.

For the WC qualifiers, there are no easy games with which to perform experiments.
The way it is now with the number of players we have lined up for that Senegal friendly, it seems as if we are only going to field debutants for us to fully try all the Super Eagles prospects. undecided

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:45am On Jan 10, 2017
Icon4s:

grin

I almost broke my TV in anger when Oliseh started Onobi ahead of Mikel in one of those games. angry
....but Mikel has really collected insult on top this Nigerian jersey of a thing...from fans to coaches, who hasn't taken a swipe at him? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:53am On Jan 10, 2017
safarigirl:
....but Mikel has really collected insult on top this Nigerian jersey of a thing...from fans to coaches, who hasn't taken a swipe at him? cheesy

The thing is people don't just like him. They can argue heaven and earth to prove that Mikel is not good enough for the role he is playing for the Super Eagles.

On the coaches' aspect, thank God that we have left that era. An era where the coaches would focus more on future replacements than the main players playing those position at that time, all in the name of "we are building for the future". They would raise a group of player to a certain standard and when it is time to start benefitting from their experience they shift focus to "new players for the future". Paul Onobi and Mikle's case is just one of many. angry

Silvester Igboun for Sone Aluko is another. angry

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:10pm On Jan 10, 2017
Mikel will always remain a quality top class player. I have always been an avid supporter of indigenous coaches.

But the problem of nepotism, favoritism and inability to stave off outside pressure for player selection. Is an issue that our indigenous coaches struggle with. How could you drop Mikel for an unproven and far from established local player.

Another problem that we may or may not wish to recognise. There are boys who we are calling new younger players who are in actual fact older than the supposedly older more established players. The football age syndrome, for reasons of not washing our dirty linen in public restrains them from raising the issue.

Aluko was a clear victim of refusal to settle and make arrangements with coaches that's why he was dropped.

Currently nobody can accuse Rohr of outright favoritism and or arrangement. The difference I have to grudgingly admit is clear.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:11pm On Jan 10, 2017
Ehen, you guys should take it easy on this Fabian guy. Some of y'all are coming down a little too hard on him.....he's a small boy mbok.

All this talk of how good he is, time will tell. Not every good player is in EPL or the top tier of top leagues, no be until he join those teams we go rate am, cuz some people at the top aren't even getting playing time

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 12:22pm On Jan 10, 2017
komekn:

Well noticed

Furthermore although winning games is not the complete test for football development it is still one of numerous indicator for football development.

My query is not to say he is not good enough when I saw him. I Watched him not specifically but generally and he was not a stand out player.

Then to go from that to National team in less than two years Hmmmmm. Well he's got a good agent.

His team mate at Nike academy a central defender was signed by Burnley and he is of Nigerian origin.

This forum is about information and opinions some even first hand. And pointing out the best prospects or what may be the best prospects.

By the way in my post about Burnley it may seem misleading I did not do match analysis for Burnley FC but myself and another party.
Truth be told, from the few clips I've seen of him, he's a learner. I watched his game against Corinthians.
If only Amuneke's team qualified for the AYC, he should have been trying out with the U20's. The Super Eagles should not be made for all comers.

Guys we should be discussing about being ready for the SE are Moses Odubanjo and Dominic Iorfa. Especially Moses Odubanjo, he has the work ethic, mentality, grit and talent to add something positive to the super eagles. I hope he gets over his injuries worries soon, its heart breaking to see someone like that be out of action for so long. He does not deserve that.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:47pm On Jan 10, 2017
goldfish80:

Truth be told, from the few clips I've seen of him, he's a learner. I watched his game against Corinthians.
If only Amuneke's team qualified for the AYC, he should have been trying out with the U20's. The Super Eagles should not be made for all comers.

Guys we should be discussing about being ready for the SE are Moses Odubanjo and Dominic Iorfa. Especially Moses Odubanjo, he has the work ethic, mentality, grit and talent to add something positive to the super eagles. I hope he gets over his injuries worries soon, its heart breaking to see someone like that be out of action for so long. He does deserve that.

I couldn't have agreed more with the bolded.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:52pm On Jan 10, 2017
So the new FIFA boss finally had his wish of 48 teams. Well, na still 2026 e go take effect.
Make we just dey wacth.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:18pm On Jan 10, 2017
Icon4s:

How I wish Nigeria is still in the running for the AYC and WYC. The WYC in particular would have been a good avenue to test some of these young promising talents.

For the WC qualifiers, there are no easy games with which to perform experiments.
The way it is now with the number of players we have lined up for that Senegal friendly, it seems as if we are only going to field debutants for us to fully try all the Super Eagles prospects. undecided

Definitely. I believe we should have had series of International friendly games during the international breaks and have a close assessment of these promising talents. I hope we make a good use of the upcoming friendly games in March.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:22pm On Jan 10, 2017
komekn:

You can argue !!!

See whaaaaten you de talk, tink am wellu. Of course the coaches are going to hype him na thier market. Friendly journalists will of course second thier view and his friend Balogun go obviously support.

So my first hand opinion is rubbish abe because thier eye better pass my own abe. All the time he was at Nike academy in the shop window no English club show face for him. It doesn't mean he's bad but nobody is thinking he is good enough.

It is what we know as packaging, you sef if to say you be ibo man I go say nwayo nwayo.

You were quick to paint your opinion rubbish. Not me. I said, no one says Fabian Senninger is ready for the Super Eagles but due to the nice reviews, the coach should look into him and call him to camp.

Not running down your report. No matter the assessments, it all falls down to Rohr's opinion. That is why I want our Team manager to call Fabian and assess him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:36pm On Jan 10, 2017
komekn:

Well noticed

Yea, Taofik Olomowewe is at Burnley. Seen highlights of him, not impressed. Lots of rash challenges. In the big leagues, he will be accumulating cards.

Musa, Idowu, Ebuehi and Aina are far ahead of Senninger at the moment.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:44pm On Jan 10, 2017
tbaba1234:

Yea, Taofik Olomowewe is at Burnley. Seen highlights of him, not impressed. Lots of rash challenges. In the big leagues, he will be accumulating cards.

I still say we judge after camping and not before.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:47pm On Jan 10, 2017
goldfish80:

Guys we should be discussing about being ready for the SE are Moses Odubanjo and Dominic Iorfa. Especially Moses Odubanjo, he has the work ethic, mentality, grit and talent to add something positive to the super eagles. I hope he gets over his injuries worries soon, its heart breaking to see someone like that be out of action for so long. He does deserve that.

Hence we do not have the AYC/WYC, does that mean we should not give them opportunity?

Unless we have other avenues, the best bet is for Rohr to invite the players to camp and see for himself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:47pm On Jan 10, 2017
joseph1013:

You're doing well. LOL
Thanks.

The other style I used earlier was also from your posts, untill it started misbehaving.

Cc: Orkpekyandega

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:48pm On Jan 10, 2017
safarigirl:

Me. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:53pm On Jan 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Me. grin
lol....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 2:03pm On Jan 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Hence we do not have the AYC/WYC, does that mean we should not give them opportunity?

Unless we have other avenues, the best bet is for Rohr to invite the players to camp and see for himself.
So Rohr should invite every 20yr old in Europe to try out with Nigeria's men national team? Do you think the Nff have that kind of money to throw around?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2017
tbaba1234:

Aina would be my first choice Nigeria has never and will never be a kick and rush team and he has the technique and composure to play at National level.

Taofik is a fast strong big defender that suits Burnley and thier type of play. He is not agile enough or technically proficient to play composed and patient possession football at least for now.

Somebody mentioned Dominic Iorfa for me he is not technical enough, fast big and strong but too predictable. But the question is are the current Center half's better than him as it stands if given the same opportunity how well will he perform.

I remember Danny Shittu to me huge big but quite strangely very fast and still agile. Never given a chance at Bolton leaves and was voted best defender in the championship. I thought he was tremendous for Nigeria if not for club politics he should have competed with Yobo for best Nigerian defender for that era.

It's all about opportunity and what you do with it.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 4:11pm On Jan 10, 2017
Yes Danny Shittu big fan of his. Wasn't the most athletic or technical of players but his work ethic, determination and big heart stood him out for me among the defenders of the mid 2000 era

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (16121) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: humility33(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.