Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,716 members, 7,813,361 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:18 AM

Losing My Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Losing My Religion (2758 Views)

I Think I'm Losing My Belief / I Dumped My Religion / I'm Losing My Girlfriend Because Of My Disbelief... Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Losing My Religion by Nobody: 1:04pm On Mar 30, 2016
I’ve struggled for years but I think I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I don’t believe in God. There are fears that come with admitting this for me. Fears that somehow, I’ll fall out of favour with God, if indeed there’s something to believe in. The he or it is just there, mad and annoyed and will throw a hissy fit if I suddenly say that I don’t believe in him. I’m really not doing myself any favours if there is one right?

It gets painful because I want to believe in something. It hovers between feeling like a want or a need or a feeling that there should be something for me to believe in. It’s just that none of the Gods I’ve encountered feel like ones that should be worshipped as or believed to be “God.” There’s no air or feeling of finality, there’s no “aha” or deep recognition that this person I’m being told is God, is in fact God.

If you have eyes to see and you look in the general direction of the sun, not knowing what it is, and someone tells you, correctly albeit rather simplistically, that this is the sun and it is where most of our light and heat comes from, is there any reason to doubt? You can see the light shining onto everything that it touches and you can feel the heat on your skin. There’s no need or reason to doubt existence of the sun because it’s right there. There’s no doubt in your mind, body or soul.

In the world of religion what I have instead are many suns, many stars actually, as our sun itself is but one of many. Imagine a clear night where you can see several stars, it’s beautiful and magnificent. However, you have someone point to the brightest, shiniest star and say, that is the only real star, all other stars are false. Worse yet, there are other people around you pointing to different stars proclaiming each one they’re pointing to to be the only real star in the night sky.

That’s how all the Gods seem to me; stars in the night sky. Sango, Thor, Vishnu, Jehovah, Allah, Set, Ishtar. All stars in the night sky. So to me, it seems that there is no God but very many personalities for some reason.

These are just inconclusive thoughts I wanted to share. Keeping this stuff to myself is isolating and honestly, rather depressing, especially after seeing how religion or lack thereof seems to be working for almost everyone but you.

6 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by SexyStrawberry(f): 1:17pm On Mar 30, 2016
Religion wants u to believe whats not there, therefore they call it faith, i am also as confused as u are and long ago I've said to myself that there is no God as well, but then again, those who practice voodoo, where the hell do their powers come from?

3 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 30, 2016
SexyStrawberry:
Religion wants u to believe whats not there, therefore they call it faith, i am also as confused as u are and long ago I've said to myself that there is no God as well, but then again, those who practice voodoo, where the hell do their powers come from?

Truly truly, where the hell indeed? Because as much as I say I may not believe in the idea of "God", I've certainly seen/experienced some things that defy common explanation.

Interesting thought you just brought up about faith, hadn't thought of it that way.
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2016
God exists. Simple and plain.
Re: Losing My Religion by SexyStrawberry(f): 1:36pm On Mar 30, 2016
MrMister:

Truly truly, where the hell indeed? Because as much as I say I may not believe in the idea of "God", I've certainly seen/experienced some things that defy common explanation.

Interesting thought you just brought up about faith, hadn't thought of it that way.

yea just like u I've seen/experienced some unexplainable situations as well, and i keep wondering why those things happen and the God whom is supposed to be there to salvage the situation isn't there as religion wants us to believe that he's omniscient and omnipresent. I only get to see God work and show his miraculous wonders in Nigerian movies

2 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 1:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
I have this believe that God exist, owing to the fact if he dare reveal everything about himself to man, we will take him for granted so is a mystery to man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Losing My Religion by Weah96: 2:09pm On Mar 30, 2016
Oma307:
I have this believe that God exist, owing to the fact if he dare reveal everything about himself to man, we will take him for granted so is a mystery to man.

Would you take Genghis Khan for granted? Hahaha. Don't kill me with laff.

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by Weah96: 2:57pm On Mar 30, 2016
SexyStrawberry:
but then again, those who practice voodoo, where the hell do their powers come from?

Quantum physicists have been able to prove the existence of other dimensions on paper. I believe that the fastest and most efficient way of gaining access to them is by using consciousness altering plants, or entheogens.

The scientific community is against any drug that it cannot sell for money, so they decided to build that LHC in Switzerland in the hopes of collecting and recording exhibitions of these hypothetical dimensions.

A real native doctor on the other hand uses his brain as a guinea pig, so to speak. He eats his spirit plants/drinks his spirit tea, and enters LA LA land. I don't presume to know, but I suspect that subatomic particles can be manipulated and interacted with while hallucinating on the right plant.

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 3:05pm On Mar 30, 2016
Hahaha... Here we go again.
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 30, 2016
Weah96:

Quantum physicists have been able to prove the existence of other dimensions on paper. I believe that the fastest and most efficient way of gaining access to them is by using consciousness altering plants, or entheogens.

The scientific community is against any drug that it cannot sell for money, so they decided to build that LHC in Switzerland in the hopes of collecting and recording exhibitions of these hypothetical dimensions.

A real native doctor on the other hand uses his brain as a guinea pig, so to speak. He eats his spirit plants/drinks his spirit tea, and enters LA LA land. I don't presume to know, but I suspect that subatomic particles can be manipulated and interacted with while hallucinating on the right plant.

Lol!! See what too much science has done to people's brain. I am also a science student but when it comes to matters like this, science is just a bonus....

Scientists claim the earth is millions of years old but my question is: were they there when the so called Big Bang occured?

They also say the solar system was created by accident yet everything in the universe follows a series of order or universal code which they do not defy....... If the universe came by accident, why is there order in it? For example: all goats eat grass and no goat eats meat, is that by accident? Lions eat meat and not grass. Now if the universe came accidentally, you would at least see a goat eat meat and a lion eat grass........

I have seen a picture start burning for no good reason, is that anything science can explain?

A snake once swallowed all the money my aunty made in her restaurant business. Someone shot the snake lots of times but the snake mysteriously vomited all the bullets and kept on swallowing the money..... So my friend, it's not all things that science can explain

2 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by SexyStrawberry(f): 3:31pm On Mar 30, 2016
Weah96:

i can't say if u are trying to confuse me the more here.................honestly, I'm lost!
Re: Losing My Religion by SexyStrawberry(f): 3:37pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Lol!! See what too much science has done to people's brain. I am also a science student but when it comes to matters like this, science is just a bonus....

Scientists claim the earth is millions of years old but my question is: were they there when the so called Big Bang occured?

They also say the solar system was created by accident yet everything in the universe follows a series of order or universal code which they do not defy....... If the universe came by accident, why is there order in it? For example: all goats eat grass and no goat eats meat, is that by accident? Lions eat meat and not grass. Now if the universe came accidentally, you would at least see a goat eat meat and a lion eat grass........

I have seen a picture start burning for no good reason, is that anything science can explain?

A snake once swallowed all the money my aunty made in her restaurant business. Someone shot the snake lots of times but the snake mysteriously vomited all the bullets and kept on swallowing the money..... So my friend, it's not all things that science can explain

Oga ur story about the snake, are u for real abi na the usual Nigerian movie u dey narrate? U must be a good movie director
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 30, 2016
SexyStrawberry:

Oga ur story about the snake, are u for real abi na the usual Nigerian movie u dey narrate? U must be a good movie director

This is for real. There are things I have seen in this life that still makes me hold on to the belief that there is a God.
Re: Losing My Religion by Weah96: 3:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
SexyStrawberry:

i can't say if u are trying to confuse me the more here.................honestly, I'm lost!

I understand. This may help you understand the concept of dimensions.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/imagining-other-dimensions.html

Pay special attention to the Flatland example.

As for the native doctor part, read this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entheogen
Re: Losing My Religion by Weah96: 3:59pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

This is for real. There are things I have seen in this life that still makes me hold on to the belief that there is a God.

Your snake story is difficult to believe. Only you know what happened, so don't let anyone tell you different.
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 4:02pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

shocked
damn!.........which school do you attend or what kind of science do they teach u?

have you ever watched americas got talent or britain got talent?........if u have then you would have seen things much more amazing than a picture burning for no reason

so goats eats grass and not meat because they were specially designed to do so........so if you were born into a world where goats eat meat and lion eats grass it wouldnt seem orderly to you?

@ur snake ish, bros yooure a comedian ;-) .....an unintentional one grin

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 4:03pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Bros, your snake story is frightening
Re: Losing My Religion by SexyStrawberry(f): 4:05pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

So what's the ending part of the snake story
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 30, 2016
SexyStrawberry:

So what's the ending part of the snake story

Everyone ran away and my aunt had to open another business elsewhere. Believe me, if you come to my village ehn! (I am from Akwa Ibom state), you would believe in God. People can murder people from afar by just standing close to a grave and pouring drinks and chanting, before you know it, someone in America is dead or has run mad. People in my village are skilled in those kind of stuff....
Re: Losing My Religion by SexyStrawberry(f): 4:25pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Everyone ran away and my aunt had to open another business elsewhere. Believe me, if you come to my village ehn! (I am from Akwa Ibom state), you would believe in God. People can murder people from afar by just standing close to a grave and pouring drinks and chanting, before you know it, someone in America is dead or has run mad. People in my village are skilled in those kind of stuff....

Haaaaa! As far as say na akwa ibom u mentioned, i believe u die! my eyes chee chunchin when i was there, i had series of attacks in my shop there den as well, but ehn, it still doesn't make me believe in god, I'm only believing what I've seen with my own eyes n experienced as well

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by HCpaul(m): 4:51pm On Mar 30, 2016
Its great to be here.
Even me too would have disbelief in the existence of a God (the supernatural) but some encountered i had in the past hold me down.

I once saw a ghost (or spirit) for more than two years which i could'nt tell anyone.
But one afternoon came that the ghost practically spoke to me.

I once looked at an underground and saw another world entirely (a hand been washed from the window.)

And i was once into an occultic group as someone passionate for powers.

In that, there is indeed powers, spirituality and God head.

If i then claim that God did not exist, i am responsible for my doom.

Science should not be used to abolish the existence of the supernatural.
Science is just an expression of man's creative power.
Creativity cannot explain spirituality and supernatural.

Scientists have not discovered all the realm that exist in the universe. They have not seen the end of the universe.
So what gives them the assurance that God or heaven did not exist?

I have many things to say anyway.

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 5:04pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

shocked
damn!.........which school do you attend or what kind of science do they teach u?

have you ever watched americas got talent or britain got talent?........if u have then you would have seen things much more amazing than a picture burning for no reason

so goats eats grass and not meat because they were specially designed to do so........so if you were born into a world where goats eat meat and lion eats grass it wouldnt seem orderly to you?

@ur snake ish, bros yooure a comedian ;-) .....an unintentional one grin

It would be orderly of course, that is if all goats eat meat and all lions eat grass. You are pointless. Even if goats were to eat meat, it should be all of them, and not some of them eating meat and others eating grass. It would be disorder for some lions to eat meat and others eat grass. If it were so, then you could say everything exists by accident.
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 5:26pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

It would be orderly of course, that is if all goats eat meat and all lions eat grass. You are pointless. Even if goats were to eat meat, it should be all of them, and not some of them eating meat and others eating grass. It would be disorder for some lions to eat meat and others eat grass. If it were so, then you could say everything exists by accident.
goats are a "specie" of mamals.......and maybe u dont know this but species of animals are interrelated and share common characteristics and behavioural patterns......goats eat grass why?......because like cattles they are ruminants who developed four stomach compartment for digestion of cellulose, that is their feeding pattern as goats
since everything is so orderly and arranged, why do some humans eat humans??

2 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 5:38pm On Mar 30, 2016
MrMister:
I’ve struggled for years but I think I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I don’t believe in God. There are fears that come with admitting this for me. Fears that somehow, I’ll fall out of favour with God, if indeed there’s something to believe in. The he or it is just there, mad and annoyed and will throw a hissy fit if I suddenly say that I don’t believe in him. I’m really not doing myself any favours if there is one right?

It gets painful because I want to believe in something. It hovers between feeling like a want or a need or a feeling that there should be something for me to believe in. It’s just that none of the Gods I’ve encountered feel like ones that should be worshipped as or believed to be “God.” There’s no air or feeling of finality, there’s no “aha” or deep recognition that this person I’m being told is God, is in fact God.

If you have eyes to see and you look in the general direction of the sun, not knowing what it is, and someone tells you, correctly albeit rather simplistically, that this is the sun and it is where most of our light and heat comes from, is there any reason to doubt? You can see the light shining onto everything that it touches and you can feel the heat on your skin. There’s no need or reason to doubt existence of the sun because it’s right there. There’s no doubt in your mind, body or soul.

In the world of religion what I have instead are many suns, many stars actually, as our sun itself is but one of many. Imagine a clear night where you can see several stars, it’s beautiful and magnificent. However, you have someone point to the brightest, shiniest star and say, that is the only real star, all other stars are false. Worse yet, there are other people around you pointing to different stars proclaiming each one they’re pointing to to be the only real star in the night sky.

That’s how all the Gods seem to me; stars in the night sky. Sango, Thor, Vishnu, Jehovah, Allah, Set, Ishtar. All stars in the night sky. So to me, it seems that there is no God but very many personalities for some reason.

These are just inconclusive thoughts I wanted to share. Keeping this stuff to myself is isolating and honestly, rather depressing, especially after seeing how religion or lack thereof seems to be working for almost everyone but you.

You will find more joy in believing that all already-known Gods by the whole world are devilish and creator of evil. See what Jehovah said:

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)
I form the light, and create darkness: I
make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do
all these things.

However, the God who created the big bang is the Almighty God. His doctrines are without errors. He is the God secretly served by scientists. His name is Domino Reverad who does not demand being worshipped by anyone but demands only you using your brain to invent and discover things.

Last bullet: Jehovah and Alllah(the devil) also called Nymphidis is the creator of evil and confusion of the whole world. Read DOCTRINE OF THE UFOS and get brighter and better knowledge.
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 5:41pm On Mar 30, 2016
HCpaul:
Its great to be here.
Even me too would have disbelief in the existence of a God (the supernatural) but some encountered i had in the past hold me down.

I once saw a ghost (or spirit) for more than two years which i could'nt tell anyone.
But one afternoon came that the ghost practically spoke to me.

I once looked at an underground and saw another world entirely (a hand been washed from the window.)

And i was once into an occultic group as someone passionate for powers.

In that, there is indeed powers, spirituality and God head.

If i then claim that God did not exist, i am responsible for my doom.

Science should not be used to abolish the existence of the supernatural.
Science is just an expression of man's creative power.
Creativity cannot explain spirituality and supernatural.

Scientists have not discovered all the realm that exist in the universe. They have not seen the end of the universe.

I have many things to say anyway.
and which science text book says there is no god??.............science observes nature propounds theories from observed facts......for example it is a fact that the universe is expanding from a point of singularity(big bang) and it can be modeled precisely how everything formed from that point.....now this result came from observation and study.....if this fact goes against your religion then maybe perhaps science is atheistic in nature

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 5:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

goats are a "specie" of mamals.......and maybe u dont know this but species of animals are interrelated and share common characteristics and behavioural patterns......goats eat grass why?......because like cattles they are ruminants who developed four stomach compartment for digestion of cellulose, that is their feeding pattern as goats

I know about goats. I still believe it was designed. Their four stomach compartment was designed. If it were by accident, then at least one of the compartment would be able to digest only meat while others would digest cellulose...... If everything exists by mere chance, then why is the DNA so complex that scientists cannot decode its sequence of genetic codes. If an accident could not create a simple mathematic formulae or a computer programme, what makes you think it can create a very complex DNA. Also think of this: If I told you that my television set appeared out of nowhere, would you believe me? Or if we discovered an inscription on a wall, would we imply that it just inscribed itself by accident?

As for humans eating other humans: Humans were created with free will to chose between right and wrong, so they have chosen to misuse that given will.
Re: Losing My Religion by Weah96: 5:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
HCpaul:

Scientists believe in God, as defined as a general source of everything. However, the talking God business is another issue.

The talking god business, makes the claim that they have made contact with the source of the universe, God, and the were told by it to write a book. That is a claim that can be verified.

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 30, 2016
edan15:

You will find more joy in believing that all already-known Gods by the whole world are devilish and creator of evil. See what Jehovah said:

Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)
I form the light, and create darkness: I
make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do
all these things.

However, the God who created the big bang is the Almighty God. His doctrines are without errors. He is the God secretly served by scientists. His name is Domino Reverad who does not demand being worshipped by anyone but demands only you using your brain to invent and discover things.

Last bullet: Jehovah and Alllah(the devil) also called Nymphidis is the creator of evil and confusion of the whole world. Read DOCTRINE OF THE UFOS and get brighter and better knowledge.

God created good humans and creatures but good chose to become evil. God creates peace for "the good" but evil for the wicked
Re: Losing My Religion by CoolUsername: 5:53pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Would be nice if they used their amazing superpowers to kill members of Boko Haram. Or, I don't know, make an actual impact on the world.

2 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 5:55pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

The reason y goats eat meat is irrelevant . Stick to the posters point - that the universe exhibits order , and principle whereas it is the product of chaos (according to evolutionists).
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 5:59pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

I know about goats. I still believe it was designed. Their four stomach compartment was designed. If it were by accident, then at least one of the compartment would be able to digest only meat while others would digest cellulose...... If everything exists by mere chance, then why is the DNA so complex that scientists cannot decode its sequence of genetic codes. If an accident could not create a simple mathematic formulae or a computer programme, what makes you think it can create a very complex DNA. Also think of this: If I told you that my television set appeared out of nowhere, would you believe me? Or if we discovered an inscription on a wall, would we imply that it just inscribed itself by accident?

As for humans eating other humans: Humans were created with free will to chose between right and wrong, so they have chosen to misuse that given will.
the funny thing is that creationists accuse athiest of believing the universe popped outta nothing, meanwhlie youre the ones who believe every thing was magicaly created by a beign who popped out of nothing................the current universe we know evolved from the big bang, the cause of the big bang?..we havnt figured yet!

so far life forms current existence can be traced from abiogenesis through evolution even though theyre not perfect yet..its science new things are learned everyday.......of course the DNA is complex , billions of years of evolutionary data carried through generations to our current form.

so far so good there is no single evidence that our universe was created by the beigns described in religious books....untill anything substantial we shall continue to observe

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 6:02pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

That your story serious o!!
So the snake claimed all the woman's money just like that!!

Anyway, evidence of the spiritual/supernatural proves that there is God . period.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

/ Is He Jesus Or "Yahshua"? / Language Of Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.