Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,537 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Losing My Religion - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Losing My Religion (2778 Views)

I Think I'm Losing My Belief / I Dumped My Religion / I'm Losing My Girlfriend Because Of My Disbelief... Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

God created good humans and creatures but good chose to become evil. God creates peace for "the good" but evil for the wicked

I was a good guy serving Jehovah but only evil continually followed after me. Immediately I deleted Yahweh from my head last year December and found the DOCTRINE OF THE UFOS, I(a jobless bedwetting graduate) of 30 years, got a job of 150,000+ in January and also got my problem of bedwetting solved by the use of meditations and methods given to me by my brain. which REVERAD wants us to use.

If you think I am lying, pls check my last two topics I opened in my profile.

Now I am living a happy life and smh for those people serving Jehovah(devil) from birth yet getting no job or healing but more problems each day.

DOMINO REVERAD is my God any day, any time.
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 6:07pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

the funny thing is that creationists accuse athiest of believing the universe popped outta nothing, meanwhlie youre the ones who believe every thing was magicaly created by a beign who popped out of nothing................the current universe we know evolved from the big bang, the cause of the big bang?..we havnt figured yet!

so far life forms current existence can be traced from abiogenesis through evolution even though theyre not perfect yet..its science new things are learned everyday.......of course the DNA is complex , billions of years of evolutionary data carried through generations to our current form.

so far so good there is no single evidence that our universe was created by the beigns described in religious books....untill anything substantial we shall continue to observe
There's more evidence for creationism than for evolution.
research evidence of giants - the smithsonian museum deliberately cover up this findings to discredit religion.
You want 100% evidence of creationism but you are willing to accept less than 100% evidence from science , and wait till science pieces up the amorphous puzzle. And you say , you are objective!!
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 6:08pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

The reason y goats eat meat is irrelevant . Stick to the posters point - that the universe exhibits order , and principle whereas it is the product of chaos (according to evolutionists).
l0l....well the person pointed to goats eating grass and no meat as order didnt he?.............does it make sense to you?......well if yes since everything is so orderly why do so humans eat other humans.....better still why do some animals grow up to mate their parents??
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 6:12pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

the funny thing is that creationists accuse athiest of believing the universe popped outta nothing, meanwhlie youre the ones who believe every thing was magicaly created by a beign who popped out of nothing................the current universe we know evolved from the big bang, the cause of the big bang?..we havnt figured yet!

so far life forms current existence can be traced from abiogenesis through evolution even though theyre not perfect yet..its science new things are learned everyday.......of course the DNA is complex , billions of years of evolutionary data carried through generations to our current form.

so far so good there is no single evidence that our universe was created by the beigns described in religious books....untill anything substantial we shall continue to observe

Ok, take this from me, my mobile phone was created by a big bang. And I want to ask, are humans and animals evolving or deteriorating? If we were to evolve, what would we evolve into? If evolution is the cause of the complexity of the DNA, aren't we supposed to evolve to an extent that the ability to live long will be encoded in the DNA. If the universe doesn't follow order, why don't we continue breathing forever if there is no Supreme creator who made laws of the universe? No one would ever die cos' oxygen would continue flowing into the lungs since it works of its own accord and doesn't follow any law......
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

l0l....well the person pointed to goats eating grass and no meat as order didnt he?.............does it make sense to you?......well if yes since everything is so orderly why do so humans eat other humans.....better still why do some animals grow up to mate their parents??
is the world operating in disorder? you answer.
if an alien observer were to pick between order or disorder which would he pick?
Re: Losing My Religion by Bartork(m): 6:26pm On Mar 30, 2016
MrMister:
I’ve struggled for years but I think I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I don’t believe in God. There are fears that come with admitting this for me. Fears that somehow, I’ll fall out of favour with God, if indeed there’s something to believe in. The he or it is just there, mad and annoyed and will throw a hissy fit if I suddenly say that I don’t believe in him. I’m really not doing myself any favours if there is one right?

It gets painful because I want to believe in something. It hovers between feeling like a want or a need or a feeling that there should be something for me to believe in. It’s just that none of the Gods I’ve encountered feel like ones that should be worshipped as or believed to be “God.” There’s no air or feeling of finality, there’s no “aha” or deep recognition that this person I’m being told is God, is in fact God.

If you have eyes to see and you look in the general direction of the sun, not knowing what it is, and someone tells you, correctly albeit rather simplistically, that this is the sun and it is where most of our light and heat comes from, is there any reason to doubt? You can see the light shining onto everything that it touches and you can feel the heat on your skin. There’s no need or reason to doubt existence of the sun because it’s right there. There’s no doubt in your mind, body or soul.

In the world of religion what I have instead are many suns, many stars actually, as our sun itself is but one of many. Imagine a clear night where you can see several stars, it’s beautiful and magnificent. However, you have someone point to the brightest, shiniest star and say, that is the only real star, all other stars are false. Worse yet, there are other people around you pointing to different stars proclaiming each one they’re pointing to to be the only real star in the night sky.

That’s how all the Gods seem to me; stars in the night sky. Sango, Thor, Vishnu, Jehovah, Allah, Set, Ishtar. All stars in the night sky. So to me, it seems that there is no God but very many personalities for some reason.

These are just inconclusive thoughts I wanted to share. Keeping this stuff to myself is isolating and honestly, rather depressing, especially after seeing how religion or lack thereof seems to be working for almost everyone but you.

Please read between the lines. I want to assume you have an outstanding personality and a great destiny that's been challeneged else whatever you choose God or sango things will work fine. But if its not the case then you must break away with focus and faith. If God isn't real am sure the devil is real and we all know evil is something some of us were born into. Our foundation has a lot to do with how things go with us. We must stand up and choose how we want our lives to be. God is so real to me even in the midst of my challenges. His words are so real to me even when all I see is failure and disappointment. I just repeat his words in my mind laugh and face the next project. I see the tomorrow I want not the one it seems I'd have and I have stayed focuesed and faithful. Please hold on, phones cars and others things that seems to be trendy all fizzle out sonner or later. You'd have the best of it when you've totally gotten them off your back.

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 6:29pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

Humans eating humans is an issue of morality.
Animals mating parents is an issue of morality.
Immorality doesnt violate the claim that the world is orderly.
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 6:30pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Ok, take this from me, my mobile phone was created by a big bang. And I want to ask, are humans and animals evolving or deteriorating? If we were to evolve, what would we evolve into? If evolution is the cause of the complexity of the DNA, aren't we supposed to evolve to an extent that the ability to live long will be encoded in the DNA. If the universe doesn't follow order, why don't we continue breathing forever if there is no Supreme creator who made laws of the universe? No one would ever die cos' oxygen would continue flowing into the lungs since it works of its own accord and doesn't follow any law......
i cant help it but ur idea of order is funny to megrin.....seriously dude......because humans die then some humanoid beign must have caused it by putting an apple tree in the middle of a garden and instructed man not to eat it(ofcourse with his omnipotent. knowledge
he musthave known man would eat it) but set it anyway just to have fun?grin .........on a serious note tho, as far as we know life is born naturally and dies naturally after a short period neglecting accidents that may shorten lifespan....its nature thats how it is....look at the universe around you everything dies wth time
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 6:34pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

Humans eating humans is an issue of morality.
Animals mating parents is an issue of morality.
Immorality doesnt violate the claim that the world is orderly.
the exact same way that goats eating grass only doesnt make the world orderly
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 6:35pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

i cant help it but ur idea of order is funny to megrin.....seriously dude......because humans die then some humanoid beign must have caused it by putting an apple tree in the middle of a garden and instructed man not to eat it(ofcourse with his omnipotent. knowledge
he musthave known man would eat it) but set it anyway just to have fun?grin .........on a serious note tho, as far as we know life is born naturally and dies naturally after a short period neglecting accidents that may shorten lifespan....its nature thats how it is....look at the universe around you everything dies wth time

Of course that is exactly what I am saying..... Well you're left to yourself
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 6:40pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

is the world operating in disorder? you answer.
if an alien observer were to pick between order or disorder which would he pick?
depending on how u see order...the earth is habitable therefore living things thrive...doesnt make the earth perfectly orderly

i dont get the bolded
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 6:42pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Of course that is exactly what I am saying..... Well you're left to yourself
well that doesnt infer a creator
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 30, 2016
Bartork:

Please read between the lines. I want to assume you have an outstanding personality and a great destiny that's been challeneged else whatever you choose God or sango things will work fine. But if its not the case then you must break away with focus and faith. If God isn't real am sure the devil is real and we all know evil is something some of us were born into. Our foundation has a lot to do with how things go with us. We must stand up and choose how we want our lives to be. God is so real to me even in the midst of my challenges. His words are so real to me even when all I see is failure and disappointment. I just repeat his words in my mind laugh and face the next project. I see the tomorrow I want not the one it seems I'd have and I have stayed focuesed and faithful. Please hold on, phones cars and others things that seems to be trendy all fizzle out sonner or later. You'd have the best of it when you've totally gotten them off your back.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement.
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 6:53pm On Mar 30, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Everyone ran away and my aunt had to open another business elsewhere. Believe me, if you come to my village ehn! (I am from Akwa Ibom state), you would believe in God. People can murder people from afar by just standing close to a grave and pouring drinks and chanting, before you know it, someone in America is dead or has run mad. People in my village are skilled in those kind of stuff....

Abeg na, don't do this to me. I'm from Akwa Ibom too embarassed Lol.
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 6:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

depending on how u see order...the earth is habitable therefore living things thrive...doesnt make the earth perfectly orderly

i dont get the bolded
It doesnt depend on how i see order, it depends on how sane objective minds see it.
Otherwise they'd be no consensus on it.
Is the world orderly or not?
At what point would an objective observer state that there is order (or disorder ) in a system?

stop shifting the argument. Nobody is talking of perfect orderliness.

The bolded refers to the alien being the objective observer of the earth.
Your are clearly living in denial if you state that the world is not orderly.
Re: Losing My Religion by Bartork(m): 7:15pm On Mar 30, 2016
MrMister:

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for the encouragement.

You are welcome. Just remember that uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, if the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do. Challenges are meant to break u. I pray they don't. And @ that point when you feel you've come to your breaking point that's when you should keep quiet listen to music, stay hopeful and say what you want and not what you are seeing. I always see light after I have almost given up.

1 Like

Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 7:46pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

It doesnt depend on how i see order, it depends on how sane objective minds see it.
Otherwise they'd be no consensus on it.
Is the world orderly or not?
At what point would an objective observer state that there is order (or disorder ) in a system?

stop shifting the argument. Nobody is talking of perfect orderliness.

The bolded refers to the alien being the objective observer of the earth.
Your are clearly living in denial if you state that the world is not orderly.

by oderly you mean what exactly?....answer this question lets take it from there
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 7:48pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

by oderly you mean what exactly?....answer this question lets take it from there
I mean what you and any sane mind assumes when that word is used. The general opinion.
I dont need to define "orderly" for you.

Dyu need to define "chaos" for me?
stop splitting hairs dude.
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 7:52pm On Mar 30, 2016
MrMister:

Abeg na, don't do this to me. I'm from Akwa Ibom too embarassed Lol.
The Lord works in mysterious ways.
Some1 from your state posted the strongest wierdest comment refuting your position!!

Did you think it would come to this?

Go ponder this!
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 8:06pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

I mean what you and any sane mind assumes when that word is used. The general opinion.
I dont need to define "orderly" for you.

Dyu need to define "chaos" for me?
stop splitting hairs dude.
so its very orderly when all goats eats only grass and no meat...right
also very orderly when tectonic plates fuse together and stop sliding for a while, then spring apart causing earthquakes and tsunami......right??
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 8:23pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

so its very orderly when all goats eats only grass and no meat...right
also very orderly when tectonic plates fuse together and stop sliding for a while, then spring apart causing earthquakes and tsunami......right??

So in one word, after considering the world as a whole, how it operates, the universe,
nature and all that and you were meant to describe it one word , how would it be described by you?
how would it be described by an impartial observer?

Most sane people would without blinking say its orderly, and that's after considering all facts for and against that conclusion.
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 8:53pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

So in one word, after considering the world as a whole, how it operates, the universe,
nature and all that and you were meant to describe it one word , how would it be described by you?
how would it be described by an impartial observer?

Most sane people would without blinking say its orderly, and that's after considering all facts for and against that conclusion.
have ever read on astrophysics, even a little......maybe if you do yould understand the universe is very random, temporal chaos temporal order over nd over again.....stars form, planets form stars later explode, some die out , asteriods clash, bodies orbit bigger bodies some gets flung out of orbit and begin to wander in solitude

dinosaurs once living on earth might have perceived it to be a very suitable home ..right?.....were re they now?.....same goes to over 90% of extinct species that once graced the earth..

all this is soooo orderly right??

2 Likes

Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 9:14pm On Mar 30, 2016
taurus25:

have ever read on astrophysics, even a little......maybe if you do yould understand the universe is very random, temporal chaos temporal order over nd over again.....stars form, planets form stars later explode, some die out , asteriods clash, bodies orbit bigger bodies some gets flung out of orbit and begin to wander in solitude

dinosaurs once living on earth might have perceived it to be a very suitable home ..right?.....were re they now?.....same goes to over 90% of extinct species that once graced the earth..

all this is soooo orderly right??
In your words , or is the astrophysicists, the world is very random,temporal,chaotic .
It's good you used the word astro, so how did the body of knowledge making up astrophysics,
progress in all this chaos?
Again, you should stay clear of needless elitism.
Your approach is like saying only economists are qualified to make a comparison between the economy of nigeria and america! bunkum.
Any1 here can. And i said how would an impartial observer, conclude about the state of the universe ?
Re: Losing My Religion by taurus25(m): 10:20pm On Mar 30, 2016
asalimpo:

In your words , or is the astrophysicists, the world is very random,temporal,chaotic .
It's good you used the word astro, so how did the body of knowledge making up astrophysics,
progress in all this chaos?

Again, you should stay clear of needless elitism.
Your approach is like saying only economists are qualified to make a comparison between the economy of nigeria and america! bunkum.
Any1 here can. And i said how would an impartial observer, conclude about the state of the universe ?

the same way the economist should suggest how surgery should be done on a sick patient right?

Im strugling to make sense of the bolded
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 11:46pm On Mar 30, 2016
MrMister:
I’ve struggled for years but I think I’m slowly coming to the conclusion that I don’t believe in God. There are fears that come with admitting this for me. Fears that somehow, I’ll fall out of favour with God, if indeed there’s something to believe in. The he or it is just there, mad and annoyed and will throw a hissy fit if I suddenly say that I don’t believe in him. I’m really not doing myself any favours if there is one right?

It gets painful because I want to believe in something. It hovers between feeling like a want or a need or a feeling that there should be something for me to believe in. It’s just that none of the Gods I’ve encountered feel like ones that should be worshipped as or believed to be “God.” There’s no air or feeling of finality, there’s no “aha” or deep recognition that this person I’m being told is God, is in fact God.

If you have eyes to see and you look in the general direction of the sun, not knowing what it is, and someone tells you, correctly albeit rather simplistically, that this is the sun and it is where most of our light and heat comes from, is there any reason to doubt? You can see the light shining onto everything that it touches and you can feel the heat on your skin. There’s no need or reason to doubt existence of the sun because it’s right there. There’s no doubt in your mind, body or soul.

In the world of religion what I have instead are many suns, many stars actually, as our sun itself is but one of many. Imagine a clear night where you can see several stars, it’s beautiful and magnificent. However, you have someone point to the brightest, shiniest star and say, that is the only real star, all other stars are false. Worse yet, there are other people around you pointing to different stars proclaiming each one they’re pointing to to be the only real star in the night sky.

That’s how all the Gods seem to me; stars in the night sky. Sango, Thor, Vishnu, Jehovah, Allah, Set, Ishtar. All stars in the night sky. So to me, it seems that there is no God but very many personalities for some reason.

These are just inconclusive thoughts I wanted to share. Keeping this stuff to myself is isolating and honestly, rather depressing, especially after seeing how religion or lack thereof seems to be working for almost everyone but you.

I certainly relate to some things in your post. I too lost my religion but I never lost my belief in God.

I'm Agnostic, not to be confused with Atheism. I certainly do believe in a higher power (God) but a few years ago I completely cut myself off from any form of organized religion. I grew up going to church regularly but I never found any peace of mind, I became uncomfortable and I started asking way too many questions, not about God but about the whole concept of organized religion. I felt conflicted at first as well. And when people ask for explanations I usually say something like "I don't practice any religion, I have my own personal relationship with God" Some people get it and others don't. Some invite me to their church services which I politely decline. Some tell me I am confused because I'm from a mixed background. haha. But at the end of the day it's still my own personal decision regardless of what other will think or say.

smiley
Re: Losing My Religion by malvisguy212: 11:58pm On Mar 30, 2016
SexyStrawberry:

Oga ur story about the snake, are u for real abi na the usual Nigerian movie u dey narrate? U must be a good movie director
don't allow this atheist to confuse you my sister, there IS GOD, yes, God's is there.
Re: Losing My Religion by malvisguy212: 12:03am On Mar 31, 2016
ButterFlyEffect:

I certainly relate to some things in your post. I too lost my religion but I never lost my belief in God.

I'm Agnostic, not to be confused with Atheism. I certainly do believe in a higher power (God) but a few years ago I completely cut myself off from any form of organized religion. I grew up going to church regularly but I never found any peace of mind, I became uncomfortable and I started asking way too many questions, not about God but about the whole concept of organized religion. I felt conflicted at first as well. And when people ask for explanations I usually say something like "I don't practice any religion, I have my own personal relationship with God" Some people get it and others don't. Some invite me to their church services which I politely decline. Some tell me I am confused because I'm from a mixed background. haha. But at the end of the day it's still my own personal decision regardless of what other will think or say.

smiley

This post caught my attention " you are going to church but you did not find peace of mind" why please ? What is your question ? Now that you are agnostic, have you found peace of mind ?
Re: Losing My Religion by asalimpo(m): 2:03am On Mar 31, 2016
taurus25:

the same way the economist should suggest how surgery should be done on a sick patient right?

Im strugling to make sense of the bolded
But a sick patient doesnt need degrees in medicine to know she's sick.
A person doesnt need higher degrees to opine on whether she looks healthy or not.

About, the bolded- in high state of chaos and instability and randomness,
a field like astrophysics wouldnt exists. Because, a state of stability and normalcy is required for all
productive activity - learning, corresponding, collating and interpreting knowledge,facts and findings.

A field like gravity wouldnt exist . All the physical constants the universe depends on to function wouldnt be there. higher chaos would mean higher disorder and accidents.

the universe is amazingly coordinated and ordered - again tht is the observation a biased 3rd party would arrive at.
Re: Losing My Religion by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:11am On Mar 31, 2016
One atheist - 10 different accounts and 10 different stories . Dont be deceived cool
Re: Losing My Religion by wirinet(m): 12:53pm On Mar 31, 2016
lordnicklaus:

Lol!! See what too much science has done to people's brain. I am also a science student but when it comes to matters like this, science is just a bonus....

Scientists claim the earth is millions of years old but my question is: were they there when the so called Big Bang occured?

They also say the solar system was created by accident yet everything in the universe follows a series of order or universal code which they do not defy....... If the universe came by accident, why is there order in it? For example: all goats eat grass and no goat eats meat, is that by accident? Lions eat meat and not grass. Now if the universe came accidentally, you would at least see a goat eat meat and a lion eat grass........

I have seen a picture start burning for no good reason, is that anything science can explain?

A snake once swallowed all the money my aunty made in her restaurant business. Someone shot the snake lots of times but the snake mysteriously vomited anullets and kept on swallowing the money..... So my friend, it's not all things that science can explain

Science student indeed. Please change to the arts - especially literature. You will make a good story writer.
Which science told you the universe is anything but orderly. Yes, there are pockets of orderliness here and there, but the universe is a very chaotic place. With asteroids, slaming into planets, stars going nova here and there, galaxies colliding ( our milky way galaxy is on a collision course with Andromeda.). Unless you want to tell me that these imperfections were caused by man's sins also.
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 10:01am On Apr 01, 2016
ButterFlyEffect:

smiley

Thanks for this. I like the idea of agnosticism and once considered myself to be one but as I mentioned in or alluded to in my original post, my belief in God/faith in a higher power seems to fluctuate. Some days or weeks, I really do feel like there is "something" there while other stretches come when I feel nothing or a profound emptiness. Perhaps I'm trying too hard to feel something. I guess my journey isn't over though.

I can also totally relate to not finding peace of mind in church. That's part of why I stopped going. I still follow a few family members from time to time if they invite me (it makes them happy) but, still doesn't bring me peace.
Re: Losing My Religion by Nobody: 10:06am On Apr 02, 2016
malvisguy212:
This post caught my attention " you are going to church but you did not find peace of mind" why please ? What is your question ? Now that you are agnostic, have you found peace of mind ?

Too much discrimination and contradictions in all the churches I attended.
I attended many, my Grandfather was a Pastor so we often traveled to many church's all over our province.

And yes, since cutting off from organized religion I do feel more at peace and connected to God. I have family members that are regular church attenders and I respect it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Burning Questions About Time, Space, Reality, Universe And What Existed Before? / Call The Master Prophet To Help Solve Your Problems Now / Laws Of Favor, Keys To Activate Favour By Apostle Joshua Selman Nimmak.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.