Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,820 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days (20475 Views)

Ecobank Commences Mass Sack Of Oceanic Bank Staff / Oceanic Bank Denies Sacking 1,200 More Workers, Slashes Salaries By 30% - Latest News / Mass Sacking Looms At Oceanic Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by sabak: 10:51am On Jul 30, 2009
@darqly "recruitment errors" are a constant feature in HR practice, prospective employees are hired on the basis on the educational exposue, experience, technical expertise and know how, at the point of the interview, there is no way you can know if the person can translate all of these to result, which is the key performance factor, that is why in every organisation, there is a pre confirmation period during which the organisation reviews ur performance to confirm is u are suitable for employment, it is after this that you are confirmed or shown the way out. So there was no shooting in the foot here, even the best organisations in the world allow that window, to identify recruitment errors.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by sabak: 11:01am On Jul 30, 2009
secondly, every bank is in the business of financial intermediation, taking from the surplus sector to lend to the deficient sector, and if someone is a Deputy manager in his bank, and comes to an interview and says if you make me a Manager, i will do this and that, then its only fair and responsible for him to atleast do up to 40% of this and that as an indication that if he is confirmed there will be hope he can do 100%. And please yeeeeees, the cheaper the deposits the better for the bank and its customers.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by ourland(m): 11:23am On Jul 30, 2009
I quite sympathize with any body this might have affected!
It is a pity and I pray God to put smile on their face again.
May be this will serve as a lesson to people who are ready
to die for another man' job!

Every individual created by God has a potential,but many
lack the understanding of what God has placed in their hand.
They desire to look for white collar job but ended up being
frustrated like this.

I had worked with three different corporate organisations
with my qualification as an Economist, ACA and ACIBN. I discovered
the potential in me and quit my day job, trust me, I am better off.

So those affected have to options:
To look for another job and still be humiliated like this
or to develop their talents and turn it to money.

For advice and guidance feel free to mail me with
subject SOLUTION to deji@josephbabalola.com
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by onabajo(f): 11:43am On Jul 30, 2009
This information is only for the wise.The fact that Oceanic was voted the best bank some year back does not make it a solid bank.This rating and voting are not the bases for assessing any bank.In 2004 Cadbury and the MD was voted the best CEO in Nigeria,we the insider knew that there is a big problem.But it took about 2 years before the truth became know.It is only the insiders in every organisation that can give you the through pictures of thing.You as an individual with experience can easier know a buiness that is doing well if you have all the parameters and indicator at your finger tip not the one the company declare.

Please take heed a word is enough for the wise.Oceanic is my bank and my family of 5 have account with them.This is becoming from the operations of the bank in delta sate.My company bank with oceanic also.

As much as it is pertnent for us not to conclude but shine you eyes oooooooooo
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by smooooooth: 11:54am On Jul 30, 2009
i dont work in oceanic bank, i dont have my money there. but this post is false. the op reminds me of a friend that runs his mouth from news picked from the streets. oceanic bank got some financial issues, yes, so does every other bank. so dont go around creating unneccesary panic. statements like this is the reason, our financial market is in crisis, cos pipu like you create unnecessary panic.

and bear in mind that we have passed the era of failed banks. the CBN will not allow any of the present banks to fail. what we may experience in the coming year, will be mergers & acquisitions. like the php/spring. but rule out the possibility of a total failure from any of these banks.

about the sacked workers, i dont belive that too. they may be laying off a few staffs. who isnt? but 1,500 staffs. that na lie!
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Naturez(m): 12:10pm On Jul 30, 2009
I pity those that are victims of this incidence. Its too bad. When there ain't jobs in Naija,people are still been sacked from one. I tire ooooo
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by oshkosh(m): 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2009
This post lasts credibility in it's entirety.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by otokx(m): 12:40pm On Jul 30, 2009
This poster guy wants to eat his cake and have it; no way. You won't submit reports on time yet you want to browse during working hours and forward stuff to your numerous saprophytes and parasites. More of your type should be sacked so that we the bank customers can get effective service.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by topsy25(m): 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2009
sabak:

Mr poster U are a big shame. To start with, how many organisations are to feeling the bite of the Global melt down. Multinationals like Zain, Cadbury, Guiness have all down-sized in the past 2 months

Now, no one was sacked in oceanic bank for sending emails, instead offenders were debited after series of warnings in that respect. Yea in oceanic today, management has reduced tolerance for misconducts which most employees in the industry will tell you that in the past 8yrs, Oceanic has been the most benovelent bank in terms of giving offenders a second chance. This is exactly what led to a mass influx of other banks staff into oceanic bank within the past three years as the bank emerged as the most employee friendly bank in the industry.

with the influx of people, understandably, the level of indiscipline , also rose as most staff started taking management for granted. Oceanic remains one of the few banks in the industry where as a marketing staff u dont need hypertensive medication to stay on your Job, but some of these new entrants came in to exploit the situation, making frivolous pledges of the deposits they can mobilize in other to get mindblowing bargains. You normally need 6 months to get your confirmation your perfomance is judged to be satisfactory, but most of the people sacked have had extra one year of grace and yet cannot account for up to 5% of their pre-confirmation financial targets agreed with the bank before employment, and which formed the basis for the grades they got on there way in. They intended to come and reap without sowing.

Most of them were never do wells who were under pressure to perform in their previous banks, and ran for shelter in Oceanic bank to experience the proverbial peace. The rest are people who were involved in fraud or serious misconducts, theere were cases of people who were transfered to other units and branches, and they refused to resume at their new posts claiming they didn't like where they were posted.

Pls this is a recession, and the least any organisation can do is to shed off all negative baggages, like the poster who I believe must have been relieved of his duties for one of the reasons above.

In terms of performance, in spite of the provisioning , Oceanic still decalred a profit of 9billion+ after tax, first bank declared 12billion+ after tax, and this results were impressive. Oceanic made a profit of 53 billion plus, and the fact remains that having made this provisioning, any of the loans recovered will automatically recognised as profit, and given the fact that most of the loans are for the oil and gas industries, they will be recovered. For the informed, it is clear that the financial report of Oceanic bank, marks it out as a resilient organisation and reinforces its postion as one of Nigeria's leading banks.

Mr Poster move on with your life and stop creating crisis for a Bank that employs thousands, of responsible working class people in Nigeria, make sure you are a better employee in your next job. You are a big shame.

What can I say, ? thank you sooooo much sabak for your insightful contribution. When i saw the title of this post, i could not stop myself from laughing. After going through his post, i was dumbfounded and above all, after reading through the contributions of NLs, i was totally shocked at how fast people want to believe glaring lies.

Sabak has said it all but i must add this OCEANIC BANK HAS NEVER AND WILL NEVER SACK ANY STAFF WHO WAS/IS NOT INVOLVED IN FRAUDULENT ACTIVITIES OR GROSS MISCONDUCTS.

I'm very positive that since the inception OBIN, it has not sacked (based on glaring offences) up to 10% of the poster's figure.

Bank with us, work with us and experience peace.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Naturez(m): 1:35pm On Jul 30, 2009
topsy25:

What can I say, ? thank you sooooo much sabak for your insightful contribution. When i saw the title of this post, i could not stop myself from laughing. After going through his post, i was dumbfounded and above all, after reading through the contributions of NLs, i was totally shocked at how fast people want to believe glaring lies.

Sabak has said it all but i must add this OCEANIC BANK HAS NEVER AND WILL NEVER SACK ANY STAFF WHO WAS/IS NOT INVOLVED IN FRAUDULENT ACTIVITIES OR GROSS MISCONDUCTS.

I'm very positive that since the inception OBIN, it has not sacked (based on glaring offences) up to 10% of the poster's figure.

Bank with us, work with us and experience peace.

Wait oooo, na true you yarn but what kind of fraudulent activities has the sacked ones got involved with? and how many are they? Please tell us let us know the truth. We need to know which is the koko,don't put us in the dark by just going against the poster. We need links,photos or videos to get facts.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Naturez(m): 1:38pm On Jul 30, 2009
@ Poster
You need to paste us some links to back your topic we ain't convinced yet?
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Nezan(m): 1:47pm On Jul 30, 2009
It is sad how some people are criticising the OP. Fact is the guy is preparing his mind towards the sack. There is nothing wrong in having a clear and truthful view of your options.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by ayobase(m): 1:52pm On Jul 30, 2009
Bank job, Dirty jobs
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by galatico(m): 1:58pm On Jul 30, 2009
Thank God I wanted to open an account with oceanic Bank but they refused me, due to some reasons
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Naturez(m): 1:59pm On Jul 30, 2009
How dirty compare to politics? Because politics is work too
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Naturez(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2009
galatico:

Thank God I wanted to open an account with oceanic Bank but they refused me, due to some reasons

What kind of reason? Can we know please?
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by harmlessx: 2:50pm On Jul 30, 2009
Before now I do believe things posted on Nairaland, because this is that same site got the info about the recruitment in Oceanic Bank and since then I have been grateful to Segun Osewa and other Nairalanders. But after reading SMOOOOTH posting I don’t thing I can trust information on Nairaland again because people like the poster are now using the forum to blackmail ororganisationhe this great Bank of ours OBIN. Mr Smoooth or what do you call your self again. It is true that the bank sacked some staff members, I am telling you that the number of staff sacked is less that 3% of what the poster quoted (do the calculation your self) and since then the Bank has hired more than that number of people, they are all involved in one fraudulent transaction or the other (with is what all banks do every time and there is no noise about it) not trivial issues as the poster said.

@ Smooooth I know you are one of the people we let go (after involving in fraud) or one of our **** looking for cheap way to rubbish the image of the bank. The bank cannot keep a fraudster like you.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by oshkosh(m): 3:25pm On Jul 30, 2009
I'm convinced the poster is very disgruntled indeed!
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by canuck(m): 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2009
@Poster - Your handle is OsamaObama?

You are defitinely an Osama masquerading as an Obama!

Face the work you're paid for and STOP browsing the Internet and spewing vitirol!
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by fdiva(f): 4:08pm On Jul 30, 2009
@ sabak u were too harsh on the poster, better apologise
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by dfanthom(m): 4:52pm On Jul 30, 2009
all banks will certainly make provisions for toxic assets. however, i don't think OBIN has sacked up to 1,500 staff in the last few weeks.
there's no need to crucify the poster, it's all about doing a proper homework & countering the facts (if any) herein. it's an eye opener & food for thought but i don't think it's a quarter as bad as the poster has presented. all staff must be subjected to mgt's policy & if any staff cant comply, saying goodbye should b d nxt move!
let's keep hoping for the best!!! grin
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by GoldCircle: 5:38pm On Jul 30, 2009
whatever way u choose to look @ this! there is some element of truth (no matter how small) in what the poster said!

Kudos poster for throwing up this issue anyway!

Respect!
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Martins00(m): 5:43pm On Jul 30, 2009
I've been a customer to Oceanic bank since Januaury this year, after series of pressure from my mum. I opened my account at one of their branches at Yaba. My first impression was, "is this a bank"?

The workers were actually more than the customers and funny enough, there was still a very long queue. I was taken upstairs to talk to the manager and was also schocked when I got upstairs  shocked. Damn! Workers everywhere, doing absolutely nothing! Just gossiping around,  
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 30, 2009
The OP is definitely an idiot who is just trying to de-market the bank cos of bad belle. I use Oceanic bank and they stand gidigba well well and i have no intention of closing my account with them. That aside iam not aware any staff as been laid off of recent contrary to the rants of the OP.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by oleigh(m): 6:44pm On Jul 30, 2009
na who dey talk all dis rubbish sef?where u hear or read dis story?oceanic bank dey kakaraka and dem still dey pay my own salary,d people wey dem sack get one issue or d other so make u no dey use ur mouth talk rubbish.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by lonewolf: 8:51pm On Jul 30, 2009
I don't know the veracity of this post, and, to be honest, I don't care. But why are people jumping on the poster? If a bank is laying off workers and somebody makes a post about it, why would you attack the poster? The logic behind this mentality is absurd. Smfh,
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by Dongoody(m): 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2009
The fact is that its always cute to say the truth at all times no matter the circumstances, irrespective of the fact the the main author of this topic seems to be a staff of the bank, it'll be the best thing that can come up if what he has spilled off is the truth.
Well I don't doubt him bcoz there is no evidence that any bank can resist the on-going global economic crisis.
May God help us.[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by lonewolf: 9:30pm On Jul 30, 2009
If city firms, investment banks, hedge funds and other financial service institutions from Wall Street to London are feeling the punch of the financial crisis and are laying off workers with the quickness, what would make Nigerian banks impervious to those dynamics as well? Are these not the same Nigerian banks where the executives cook the books and declare phantom profits? How can a Nigerian bank convince me that they are able to weather the financial crisis better than a Canadian bank, for example, when the Nigerian bank -- by default -- is operating from a weaker position and has less access to cash?

Nigerians just like to talk nonsense.
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by reindeer: 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2009
I wonder why people jumped on this OP that harshly.

Allover the world people are feeling the pinch, what makes Nigeria exempt from that?

Anyways, i believe the bank can really be in some deep troubles(forget the results, we all know they cook and cook)

Let the wise know what to do, as for me, if i have to do anything with banks in nigeria, ill bank with my father's bank(first bank).
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by victorkc(m): 11:44pm On Jul 30, 2009
I hope this does not affect my retainership with the bank's H.M.O
Re: Oceanic Bank Sack Over 1500 Staffs In 30days by N101: 12:36am On Jul 31, 2009
harmlessx:

Before now I do believe things posted on Nairaland, because this is that same site got the info about the recruitment in Oceanic Bank and since then I have been grateful to Segun Osewa and other Nairalanders. But after reading SMOOOOTH posting I don’t thing I can trust information on Nairaland again because people like the poster are now using the forum to blackmail ororganisationhe this great Bank of ours OBIN. Mr Smoooth or what do you call your self again. It is true that the bank sacked some staff members, I am telling you that the number of staff sacked is less that 3% of what the poster quoted (do the calculation your self) and since then the Bank has hired more than that number of people, they are all involved in one fraudulent transaction or the other (with is what all banks do every time and there is no noise about it) not trivial issues as the poster said.

@ Smooooth I know you are one of the people we let go (after involving in fraud) or one of our **** looking for cheap way to rubbish the image of the bank. The bank cannot keep a fraudster like you.

Harmlessx

I really don't think you meant smooooooth, I'd like to think you're referring to the original poster, osamaobama (or whatever contrived nonsense name s/he calls themselves).

Not quite harmless when  you're flaming someone.  You might wanna check what you previously wrote.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why I Left Banking For Dangote Truck Drivers Job / Why Don't Mechanical Engineer Graduates Set Up Mechanic Shops / Dolapo Badmus Becomes Chief Superintendent Of Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.