Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,432 members, 7,830,175 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Muslim Rebels attack in the North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslim Rebels attack in the North (857 Views)

Eyewitness Account Of Fulani Attack In Enugu State......(photos)...Greatiyk4u / Amaechi’s Deputy Defects To PDP, Says “APC Is A Party Of Rebels, Founded On.." / Pics Of Heavy Equipment Recovered From Boko Haram's Failed Attack In Maidugury (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Rebels attack in the North by maxell(f): 2:49am On Jul 28, 2009
Muslim rebels on Monday expanded their attack on Nigerian security forces to three northern states, with at least 80 people dead in two days of clashes, security sources said.

Gun battles between police and members of a local Islamic group, which wants a wider adoption of Islamic law across Nigeria, were reported in Yobe, Kano and Borno states.

The attacks came a day after more than 50 people were killed in neighbouring Bauchi state. The violence was not connected to unrest in the oil-producing Niger Delta in the south.

The four northern states are among the 12 of Nigeria's 36 states that started a stricter enforcement of sharia in 2000 -- a decision that has alienated sizeable Christian minorities and sparked bouts of sectarian violence that killed thousands.

A senior member of the rebel group Boko Haram, which opposes Western education and demands the adoption of sharia law in all of Nigeria, threatened further attacks.

"We do not believe in Western education. It corrupts our ideas and beliefs. That is why we are standing up to defend our religion," Abdulmuni Ibrahim Mohammed told Reuters after his arrest in Kano state.

"Even if I'm arrested, there are more out there to do the job."

The government estimates 55 have been killed in the two days of fighting, but estimates from security sources and residents add up to at least 80.

President Umaru Yar'Adua ordered heightened security in the affected regions and directed police to take all necessary action to contain and repel the militants.

More than 200 ethnic groups generally live peacefully side by side in the West African country, although civil war left 1 million people dead between 1967 and 1970 and there have been bouts of religious unrest since then.

CLASHES SPREAD

Members of the Boko Haram set several churches, a police station and a prison ablaze in Maiduguri, the state capital of Borno, residents said.

A Reuters reporter said he saw at least 20 bodies laid out on the street as his family was evacuating among hundreds of others. Gunshots and explosions could be heard throughout the city.

"The (militants) are right now moving into town. Riot police and soldiers are everywhere, but the boys are not afraid of them," said Gana Marari, another resident of Maiduguri.

In northern Yobe and Kano states, clashes between rebels and security forces killed at least four and injured 10. A Kano police spokesman said officers had arrested more than 100 gunmen.

Boko Haram, which means "education illegal," began its string of attacks in the north-eastern city of Bauchi on Sunday after the arrest of some of its members.

More than 50 Nigerians were killed and more than 100 arrested in those clashes, prompting the Bauchi state governor to impose a night-time curfew on the state capital city. There were no reports of violence in Bauchi on Monday.

Reuters
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by Litmus: 4:13am On Jul 28, 2009
Nigeria needs to increase the number of soldiers to at least one million. The current strength is ridiculously low and the West as usual is to blame for the cuts that brought about this.
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by Mudley313: 5:10am On Jul 28, 2009
[center][flash=600,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/3z2I_Px5Klg[/flash][/center]
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by Tonim(f): 2:52pm On Jul 28, 2009
That is Nigeria for you. God help us.
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by asha80(m): 2:58pm On Jul 28, 2009
Mudley313:

[center][flash=600,450]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/3z2I_Px5Klg[/flash][/center]

Naija 4 life shocked angry cheesy
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by WilyWily: 6:55pm On Jul 28, 2009
GOOOOOOOD picture, I wish Taliban Goodluck, but i want more Goats dead.
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by sosisi(f): 6:57pm On Jul 28, 2009
WilyWily:

GOOOOOOOD picture, I wish Taliban Goodluck, but i want more Goats dead.

is this the same wily wily of 2 years ago?
nwanne m na your sister dey greet o
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by sosisi(f): 6:58pm On Jul 28, 2009
Is it the almajiris that were slaughtered like sallah ram finally?
allahu wakbam!
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by preselect(m): 7:06pm On Jul 28, 2009
islam is a religion of peace grin
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by WilyWily: 7:14pm On Jul 28, 2009
$osisi:

is this the same wily wily of 2 years ago?
nwanne m na your sister dey greet o
Osisi nay me o, nay dey same Wily. i dey kamkpe. nay only sey Dirty stinking Hausa/Fulani North and their corrupt western Nigeria no agree make i have rest for my own Papa Land.
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jul 28, 2009
$osisi:

allahu wakbam!

And so close to sallah too. Allah is great! grin
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by tarano: 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2009
This is a result of Government sidelining the youths

Southern Youths are into 419, Yahoo Yahoo, E-mail scam, oil theft, Economic saboteurs, Rebels, Militants, illegal importation, traveling the sahara/Mediteranean, tennage prostitution in Europe/ Italy.

Northern Youths, Almajirii, Islamic militants, Disease, Poverty, Ignorance

Nigeria future is bleak as long as it's youth are forgotten,
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by preselect(m): 3:48am On Jul 29, 2009
$osisi:

allahu wakbam!
who said the Nigerian police is useless grin
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by preselect(m): 3:50am On Jul 29, 2009
tarano:

This is a result of Government sidelining the youths

Southern Youths are into 419, Yahoo Yahoo, E-mail scam, oil theft, Economic saboteurs, Rebels, Militants, illegal importation, traveling the sahara/Mediteranean, tennage prostitution in Europe/ Italy.

Northern Youths, Almajirii, Islamic militants, Disease, Poverty, Ignorance

Nigeria future is bleak as long as it's youth are forgotten,
just eliminate the murderous northern almajiris and jnr talibans. The rest are harmless husslers
Re: Muslim Rebels attack in the North by naijaway(m): 4:21am On Jul 29, 2009
Crazy indeed. how did those group of people pack themselves in one place and all get killed. I guess they lack strategy and their mission is to do suicide bombing so it is not so bad afterall. I just pray for the innocent bystanders among them.

(1) (Reply)

How Many Of Us Abroad Has Borrowed From Banks And Not Paid Back / What Every Nigerian Must Know / Yar'adua's Condition Takes A Bleak Turn; His Return Uncertain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.