Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,909 members, 7,821,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? (249957 Views)

Electricity Workers Protest Over Non-Payment Of Salary In Lagos (Photos) / Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / Salary In The Nigerian Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by ifey1900: 1:05pm On Aug 10, 2009
can i ask u all a question please
do u think companies in nigeria pay people that study abroad better or not
this is an argument between a friend and i
so please opinions ma people
and how much is elect/elect engineers paid on the avaerage please
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by AccoPen(m): 1:45pm On Aug 10, 2009
@ ifey1900
It is a well known fact that our HR persons have so much respect for qualifications earned outside the shores of Naija. It is no longer news that a candidate with the certificate of a 2 months summer course in fashion, hotel management, make-up or drama will be considered suitable for a banking job by our HR personell that another candidate who spent 4 years in UNILAG, UI, OAU, UNN or any other Nigerian Universities. What a shame!
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by slimes(m): 10:42am On Oct 04, 2009
A good earning must be good enough for the earner to lend and not borrow. However, it takes discipline to make the most out of your resources and earnings.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by BSH(m): 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2009
It depends on certain factors : ur location, expectations,
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by bimmyd2000(f): 9:34am On Oct 15, 2009
My Analysis of a good salary is this

Needs Salary Monthly(divided by 12 months)
3 bedroom flat (cheapest) - N200,000 N17,000
Transportation (far distance 700 per day) N17,000
Meal (250 per day) N6,000
Feeding for the family N25,000
School Fees average of 30k per child x 4kids
(120,000 per term) N40,000
Medical N10,000
Miscellaneous N10,000
Clothing N10,000

TOTAL N135,000

This is the average salary that a Nigerian should be paid after tax and this money it self is not enough but can be managed by a family with stigent budget but anything less than this amount is killing in the next few weeks fuel price will increase, market women will increase the price of food stuffs, transport will be increased, so where do we go from here.

2 Likes

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by meomeo: 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2009
where is the highest paying company for,a micro-biologist
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Kc0022000(m): 9:00pm On Oct 31, 2009
Interesting topic here undecided its true we have a low standard of living, 100k is less for working from sunrise to sunset including weekend, e go beta
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by itong4u2nv: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2009
someone said $500 good for nigeria, thats like 75000naira. (using $1=150). I think that is okay, but ridiculous for someone in USA. here, if you are talking of entry level salaries, the least amount you would be seeing for fresh BSC graduates in engineering is $50, 000/year no matter the field you work in either oil/gas, chemical or phamaceutical industry. anyway, it all depends on the minimum wage of the state or country.
thats the reason why people complain about salaries in NIgeria. the minimum wage is too low. even the so called shell and chevron companies dont pay you what your mates who work in USA would earn.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by boyt1: 11:15pm On Jan 12, 2010
you cant compire the salary in USA/EURO to 9ja level. eg. i earn 2300EUROs take home per month here in Europe about 475thd naira per month, in 9ja level good pay may be, OK i spend 660EUROs (138,000thd naira) on a 2 bed flat PER MONTH. think about car insurance, tax maintenance etc,
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 11:25pm On Feb 22, 2010
I make $100,000 a year in US but that is with about 3 years of experience in what I do plus a bachelors and a masters degree. I will make much less if i started fresh and were a fulltime employee however I decided to work as a contractor because of my experience and high demand in my feild and it pays just well.

My company might promote me to a manager role and full time as I have championed all their problems. On a manager role, starting salary for my company is $150,000 a year plus stocks and bonds options as well as bonuses,

Adding all these up, I could easily make about half a million a year. We are in the same line of business with
Morgan stanley and gold man sachs but they have a different salary structure than ours.

I have to say though this is a white mans type of job and not a single black person is in my team, however I am proud to be an american and a nigerian. There is nothing like working on a job with merit and not bribery

2 Likes

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by axeman85(m): 9:26am On Feb 23, 2010
this is difficult to quantify or apportion becuase in nigeria there a lot of factors to consider. eg. increase in fuel prices, cost of maintainance for genrators, cars, repais cost. unplanned expenses. recharge cards as you might spend more than your original budget.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by naijacann: 7:58am On Feb 26, 2010
These days, a fresh graduate working as a graduate assistant in a university with his/her BSc. earns higher(about 85k-90k/mth) than a
fresher working in a typical ngrn bank; yet the bank worker works his/her azz off while at work.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 10:43pm On Feb 26, 2010
naijacann:

These days, a fresh graduate working as a graduate assistant in a university with his/her BSc. earns higher(about 85k-90k/mth) than a
fresher working in a typical ngrn bank; yet the bank worker works his/her azz off while at work.

On a long term basis, the banker would be earning more in 5 years.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by naijacann: 10:47pm On Feb 26, 2010
@Sagamite
, that is if the banker is lucky to retain his/her job for those next 5 yrs

1 Like

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:48pm On Mar 08, 2010
Any salary is a good salary.
Most Nigerians don't even have a salary.

1 Like

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by DoubleN(m): 9:27am On Mar 10, 2010
larger_20:

I make $100,000 a year in US but that is with about 3 years of experience in what I do plus a bachelors and a masters degree. I will make much less if i started fresh and were a fulltime employee however I decided to work as a contractor because of my experience and high demand in my feild and it pays just well.

My company might promote me to a manager role and full time as I have championed all their problems. On a manager role, starting salary for my company is $150,000 a year plus stocks and bonds options as well as bonuses,

Adding all these up, I could easily make about half a million a year. We are in the same line of business with
Morgan stanley and gold man sachs but they have a different salary structure than ours.

I have to say though this is a white mans type of job and not a single black person is in my team, however I am proud to be an american and a nigerian. There is nothing like working on a job with merit and not bribery
Nice one bro,not a mean feat at all!

Well for Nigerian Standards 100K a month should be the least one can live very comfortably on especially with this our volatile economy.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by MPEROR: 2:33pm On Mar 12, 2010
I WILL PREFER TO MAKE N300000 IN NIGERIA WITHOUT THE NAME CALLING AT LEAST I WILL BE A FIRST CLASS CITIZEN IS THIS RIGHT? I WILL BE CONSIDERED A FULL NIGERIAN
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Gword: 10:36pm On Mar 19, 2010
salary has level o.
The standard salary now for graduates varies depending on industry/experience

telecom- 250k-400k
oil& gas- 400-700k
banks- 60k-180k
others-oyo

my sincere opinion. grin
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by tessybrown(m): 12:16am On Mar 26, 2010
To ME i think http://ladieshood.waphall.com have more to SAY.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Mar 26, 2010
A good salary is one that can fund your lifestyle - whatever that is
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Tinyemeka(m): 2:58am On Mar 29, 2010
Larger-20 whats d prospect of securing a job of ur salary range : ) over there, having gained 3 yrs banking experience + ACCA qualification in Naija. Can one take d risk and come over? How can d transition be achieved? Besides I thought Yankee guys were supposed to be screaming about economic meltdown now.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Syenite(m): 8:32pm On Mar 30, 2010
bimmyd2000:

My Analysis of a good salary is this

Needs Salary Monthly(divided by 12 months)
3 bedroom flat (cheapest) - N200,000 N17,000
Transportation (far distance 700 per day) N17,000
Meal (250 per day) N6,000
Feeding for the family N25,000
School Fees average of 30k per child x 4kids
(120,000 per term) N40,000
Medical N10,000
Miscellaneous N10,000
Clothing N10,000

TOTAL N135,000

This is the average salary that a Nigerian should be paid after tax and this money it self is not enough but can be managed by a family with stigent budget but anything less than this amount is killing in the next few weeks fuel price will increase, market women will increase the price of food stuffs, transport will be increased, so where do we go from here.

@bimmyd2000, where will you put costs like:-
GSM recharge cards,
Electricity bill,
Cost of fueling your generator
Church donations(u knw God loves a cheerful giver)
Won't you send money to ur parents, probably siblings and inlaw(s)?
Let us even asume that you don't have a car cos where will fueling and maitenance cost come in?
And you have left out some thing- SAVINGS!!
And you will also aspire to buy your own land and build ur house.

Can you see that a person that earns 135k/months with that ur budget cannot survive?
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by benjay1(m): 1:50am On Apr 15, 2010
Syenite:

@bimmyd2000, where will you put costs like:-
GSM recharge cards,
Electricity bill,
Cost of fueling your generator
Church donations(u knw God loves a cheerful giver)
Won't you send money to your parents, probably siblings and inlaw(s)?
Let us even asume that you don't have a car cos where will fueling and maitenance cost come in?
And you have left out some thing- SAVINGS!!
And you will also aspire to buy your own land and build your house.

Can you see that a person that earns 135k/months with that your budget cannot survive?

Lmao @ Church donations(u knw God loves a cheerful giver) grin

Hey guys, i am a fresh grad of Civil Engineering here in Nigeria and i am seriously looking for a job. Presently i will say i am modelling for "OWU" ((I guess you guys know what that mean)) smiley
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Fiver: 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2010
So in the Year 2010 after the bank shake downs

How much is a Good Salary in Nigeria for a 1st Degree Holder with 2 year mixed experience?
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by sahgya: 12:35pm On Dec 17, 2010
I am from India, I got an offer from a IT Firm in Lagos, Nigeria. They offered me Local Salary N150,000 Per month+US $3750 per month+Fully furnished accommodation + car&driver + local medical expenses + House Electricity + Gas bill + Yearly paid leave with return fair etc. Please suggest me if this is a good offer to accept. Please reply ASAP. We are 3 in my family.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by DisGuy: 3:48pm On Dec 17, 2010
^^ what do you do currently and what's your work experience?
Have you ever worked outside of India?
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by sahgya: 4:19pm On Dec 17, 2010
Currently I am working in a IT company in India. I have 11 years of experience. I worked in U.S. for 3 months. That was a project assignment in my previous company. Please suggest me if I have the good offer which I mentioned in my previous post.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by olumyde5(m): 4:39pm On Dec 17, 2010
I think this shud be the standard for experienced Graduate and half of it aint bad at all for fresh Graduate cool

Gword:

salary has level o.
The standard salary now for graduates varies depending on industry/experience

telecom- 250k-400k
oil& gas- 400-700k
banks- 60k-180k
others-oyo

my sincere opinion. grin
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by sahgya: 4:49pm On Dec 17, 2010
These figures in Naira or Dollar?
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 12:50am On Dec 18, 2010
sahgya:

These figures in Naira or Dollar?

They are in Naira and monthly.

Nigerians tend to quote per month salary rather than annual salary.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum / Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.