Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:42 PM

Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People (4314 Views)

Handling The Issue of Giving Financial Support To Relatives / Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by chiogo(f): 2:07am On Aug 02, 2009
@tensor777, you're right. That's what I'm doing.

@MUZBO, sure, being able to argue isn't the only skill/prerequisite needed but it can be a starting point. Going into law takes a lot of courage. For instance you may no something but lack the confidence to say it or defend yourself in a particular situation. So, yes, it's a good quality in law to be able to argue constructively. No, my mom didn't make me go into medicine. I just randomly mention it and what her reaction would be if I chose to be a Lawyer and that ^^ was her response. I've longed changed my mind about law.

@bootycall, you got it. wink
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by MUZBO(m): 9:33am On Aug 02, 2009
oyinda.:

muzbo what do u mean by this? i'm interpreting it to mean "do what u love best not necessarily what you're better at"
what if u love something but ur not good at it and vice versa?
Exactly! Thats what I'm saying. Lemme elaborate: most of us have lots of talent. A single guy may be good with soccer, basketball, chess, public speaking and he may also be good with calculations. So which one of these talents should he choose? If he speaks to me I'll encourage him to choose the one he enjoys doing the most not the one he's better @ because passion is what will drive your career to new heights not talent.
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by MUZBO(m): 9:33am On Aug 02, 2009
bootycall:

You are confused.did she say shes  forced or talked into going for Medicine?
Am I? She said she's 'settling' for medicine. Maybe that word means little to you but to me there's that defeatist attitude buttressed by the fact that she said she 'doesn't want to spend 10years in college'.
Maybe you can't see the soul of an expression but I can. Come to think of it, if that is a talent for me then why am I not working for the police or some intelligence outfit?
@oyinda take note.lol
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by MUZBO(m): 10:10am On Aug 02, 2009
@chiogo, I understand you so note that my views are personal. I refer you to my response to other contributors. I don't know what gave @bootycall the idea that I think you are being forced to do medicine?
She didn't get jack!
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by MUZBO(m): 10:10am On Aug 02, 2009
@chiogo, I understand you so note that my views are personal. I refer you to my response to other contributors. I don't know what gave @bootycall the idea that I think you are being forced to do medicine?
She didn't get jack!
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by davidif: 11:33pm On Aug 02, 2009
Pressure can be very good at times. It makes you more focused and determined. In Nigeria, the parental pressure pushes some of us to greater heights and not to settle for less. Our parents encourage us to be ultra-competitive at times and we have to considering the society we live in. If we become laid back then we will in some cases starve.
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by bawomolo(m): 1:13am On Aug 03, 2009
why settle for something because your parents say so?
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by mayrho(m): 9:43am On Aug 03, 2009
Mehn people are going thru stuff,
Thank God for me folks God bless them all the way
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by steve49ja(m): 2:09pm On Aug 04, 2009
bawomolo:

why settle for something because your parents say so?
Where do you stand? undecided
On a lighter mood: Dem gurl in ya profile got a killer mann!!! cheesy

@post

A day cometh when da father/mother becomes da child.
ONLY A FOOL would have luxuries when his parents lend money for food i tell ya no marra da offense/grudge you might hold against them.

If ya day's come to take care of your parents, you berra out their bills into ya books and clear up asap.
In my family majority carries da vote. If my dad is on about something and i dont see it right and so does my mum then that thingy is cancelled. I had and still having a whole lotta restrictions some seem optional and some come as an ORDER!!!.

For example, i was to take my car out evening strol, just felt like it. Dad said dont go out (express way) till your driving skills' perfect and so did mum but for heavens sake its my efing car innit?

I went out, broke my head light, lipsrsealed couldnt call them to inform them on what happened cos i was so mad at myself.

So you see our parents wouldnt lead us into harm and wouldnt deceive us, no marra how harsh you might think they are a day will come when youll understand all their effortz and things theyve saved you from. Example; your dad saying dont keep late nights even if you live alone/live with them.

It could be hard to abide to their rules which sometimes could be funny or odd but you see if you can you wont regret it in time to come.

Big ups to my parents and all da efforts in making me who i am today. I'm grateful they were 'harsh' as i thought they were but as days pass i tend to understand.

I have no regret that they scold and still scold me when i go wrong. My mum says ''an okra tree doesnt grow taller than the planter, he would always harvest it. No marra how tall you grow i'll bend you or jump and slap you when you need one.'' cheesy

Do you have regrets? aint you grateful with all da restrictions/eagle eyes ya parents had/have on you? cmon peeps!!
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by twinsdaddy1: 3:22pm On Aug 04, 2009
Young people should not forget what the holy book of God say that "Train up a child in the way of God and when he is old he shall not depart from it".
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by manny4life(m): 7:17pm On Aug 04, 2009
twinsdaddy1:

Young people should not forget what the holy book of God say that "Train up a child in the way of God and when he is old he shall not depart from it".

Very good quote, and in my own opinion and view, certain parents lack the parental understanding and the the guide to lead their children. Although I do not encourage parents pressuring their kids,  however, pressure can be a reinforcement and may yield some positive results depending on several scenarios like how old the children are and other factors. Parents need to understand that children grow up and become adults and their wants just becomes an opinion. Most parents pressure their kids into what they want not what the children want and at the end of it all, the children becomes more miserable than they would have been should they have been allowed to follow their decision.

I will use myself as an example, my father really wanted me to study a particular part of engineering (Aerospace and Aeronautical) at Embry - Riddle Aeronautical Univ. in FL, I did not like it and after a year, I dropped out of the course, but because my father wanted to boast of his first son studying that course, hopefully working with a federal defense agency like NASA or defense giants like Boeing just like his friends kids have because they recommended the school, till today, we still not at peace. I went on to study what I wanted; Accounting and Finance. I left from a private school; Embry-Riddle to a state college. Please I encourage people not to mix up pressure with discipline. I'm glad for the understanding mind of my mom and never for one day have she pressured me to do things her way.

You don't have to pressure your kids to be competitive, rather supportive. For instance, if your kids doesn't do well in school or you want to make them more competitive, yelling and mounting pressure on them doesn't solve it, acknowledging their problems, finding a solution and supporting, with that measure, they would be able to set standards for themselves and thats what counts. Studies have shown that children who have overwhelming support from friends and family tend to be focused, thus achieving those goals and objectives as compared to those with overwhelming pressure are prone to disorientation, quickly lose sight focus and most cases end up losing everything. I mean look at it, when you get so much pressure at home is like getting same pressure at work only that its different circumstance.
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by Nonnyl(m): 8:23pm On Aug 05, 2009
Parent pressure atimes help growing children but not in making career decision.
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by chyk91(m): 11:59pm On Aug 05, 2009
i think the pressure is good when its not to much, i remember when i was in secondary school, i read the way i read 4 exams just because my dad told me dat no one in his family had failed and if i failed i was gonna start ss2 again. so in a way pressure is good.
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by Ayenfe(f): 12:42am On Aug 11, 2009
well the reason y our parent put more pressure on us is just because they want us to attain a high position in the society, but forgotten that all we need is their prayer
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by joizzy1: 7:46am On Aug 11, 2009
parental pressure is good 2 some extent. but everything in life is supposed 2 be in moderation.im happy for my NLs whose situations worked out for them but im sure u have\had friends who faced d same kind of pressures and ended up making a messs(e.g. someone who is anatural artist being forced 2 study medicine or a girl being forced 2 marry some one she doesnt want\like because he is "good" 4 her). i thinkiit boils down 2 understanding. parents should try and understand their kids ie their strengths and weaknesses and kids should understand their parents ie their motivations, hopes and strengths. as we grow older our coooperation would.
Re: Handling Parental Pressure: For Young People by makahagirl(f): 11:41pm On Aug 13, 2009
i have a friend in nigeria and i dont really know how he was brought up
but i think that nigerian parents are more involved with their youngsters life.
i can see that they strive for excellence and push their kids to be the best they can be.
its like, why settle for what your comfortable doing, am higher, why settle for less?
but its okay to relax for awhile.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Husband Pressuring Me For Another Baby / Mother-in-law Sends You Packing? / At What Age Should A Young Man Leave The Parent House And Become Independent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.