Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,324 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi (4556 Views)

Ayiri Emami Hosts Pat Utomi At His Mansion (Photos) / Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Any Time In History – Charles Soludo / What Nnamdi Kanu Told Us In Prison — Pat Utomi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Tiskified(m): 4:12pm On Apr 02, 2016
Respected academic and political economist of note, Prof. Pat Utomi, has taken a hard look at unfolding developments in the polity and President Muhammadu Buhari’s 11-month old tenure and declared that Nigeria is more divided today than it was two years ago.
Utomi who played a key role in enthroning the current administration said that the spirit of Nigeria is much challenged today, a situation that represents a failure of leadership.
His words: “I think Nigeria today is actually more divided than it was two years ago. The spirit of Nigeria is much challenged today. That is simply failure of leadership.
“Our experience is that the trouble with Nigeria, clearly, is leadership. Nigeria is still not being led rightly. For me personally, 2015 was a huge disappointment.
“This is because what I had hoped for, what I expected was a classic opportunity to lead Nigeria, to bring everybody into a boat, saying this is the direction we are travelling. And with every body’s energy in Nigeria we will move towards that.”
Recalling that for the first time, Nigerians stepped out and aligned with the opposition resulting in the removal of an incumbent, Utomi regretted that instead of leveraging on the new reality, “the old hegemony game started.”
According to the erudite professor, “Nigeria came out and aligned with the opposition and for the first time, an incumbent was removed…That was why I said it was a classic opportunity for good leaders to bring everybody into the house.
“But that did not happen. What happened was that the old hegemony game started. People cornering something, excluding that person, pushing that person and they just couldn’t get it together.
“So everybody was pissing into the house and the house smells. But if everybody was inside the house, pissing out, we would be erecting an edifice going forward. It was purely a case of leadership failure.”
Analysing another arena of governance that he believes gives stability and sustainability to socio-political development, Utomi stated that what Africa needs is strong institutions, not strong men adding that strong men are traditionally disruptive of progress.
His words: “You know Barack Obama on his first visit to Africa, the very first speech he made in Ghana, he repeated the point I made the day before in Lagos that what Africa needs is strong institutions, not strong men.
“But very often we turn around looking for strong men. Strong men are traditionally disruptive of progress in the sense that even when they manage to get some progress to take place, because they did it as strong men, the next strong man would want to put his imprimatur on progress.
“This may mean discounting what the strong men before him have put in place. That is why we have weak institutions. We need to progress with strong institutions.”

SOURCE: BREAKING TIMES

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/nigeria-more-divided-under-buhari-than-under-jonathan-pat-utomi/

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Pidggin(f): 4:13pm On Apr 02, 2016
True

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by CACAWA(m): 4:14pm On Apr 02, 2016
Hungry man

Ever since he wasn't made a Minister, he has been running his mouth up and down...for your info sir, your impatience is your greatest threat.

Let me see who will trust a man like this. Even Charles Soludo and Oby Ezeks know better how to be patient.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by ERODEDEAST(f): 4:18pm On Apr 02, 2016
Sai Baba grin

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Goke7: 4:24pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Hungry man

Ever since he wasn't made a Minister, he has been running his mouth up and down...for your info sir, your impatience is your greatest threat.

Let me see who will trust a man like this. Even Charles Soludo and Oby Ezeks know better how to be patient.

Some of our elites who have been too used to getting attention from successive govts but are not getting none from PMB are just venting their frustrations. It shows the monopoly of power by some Nigerian elites over the years.

They are finding it too difficult to adjust to the present realities.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by swagaholic: 4:26pm On Apr 02, 2016
Lolz, d old dullard only cares abt his fulani fools nd his cows

23 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by dechriscool(m): 4:33pm On Apr 02, 2016
Strong men without wisdom are disruptive of progress.
Strong institutions is what we need not a dictatorial directionless,ineptitude leader.

25 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by 151487made(m): 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Hungry man

15 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Blackfire(m): 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
Oga pat.. Abeg we don tell una say WAILLING WAILLER'S FORM don finish.

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by seunmsg(m): 4:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
I respect prof Utomi's opinion on issues but I disagree with his views that the current tribal division in the country is as a result of leadership failure of the current administration. In my views, the division is as a result of the decision of a particular section of the country not to accept defeat and move on. In saner climes, everybody rally rounds the winner once election is over. But a certain group of people who lost out in the last election have decided not to move. They wail over every move of the government and nothing can satisfy them. In this case, there is nothing that the government can do. They will continue to wail till 2019 except they decide to change and support the PMB administration.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Aromas: 4:35pm On Apr 02, 2016
Ehn Ehn dey don com o grin, the kind propaganda wey den take flush Oga Jona out of Aso Rock na hin dey go use against Buhari grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by OneNaira6: 4:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Hungry man

Will you shut that your useless mouth close. Who told you pat utomi wants to be part of that fraudulent government by Buhari.

Useless fool.

The worth in utomi's pinky you can never achieve

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Nobody: 4:53pm On Apr 02, 2016
Some of the President's comments have also fuelled the division. This nation is held together by a fragile lattice which the President keeps tugging at with some of his actions. Rather than unite the whole nation behind his 'CHANGE' agenda, he keeps alienating some sections of the country with his uncomplimentary remarks. The last general elections also had different parts of the country up against one another. Prof Utomi can take up the gauntlet and see to it that peace reigns in this land.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Chubhie: 4:56pm On Apr 02, 2016
Buhari should perform so that people can shut up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by olaitoro(m): 4:57pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Hungry man

Sai Baba Chai
Sai Baba Chain grin

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by CACAWA(m): 5:04pm On Apr 02, 2016
OneNaira6:

Will you shut that your useless mouth Open. Who told you pat utopian wants to be part of that fraudulent government by Buhari.

Useless fool.

The worth in utomi's pinky you can never achieve
e dey pain you.

Lol, so in your mind Utomi is wealthier and more fulfilled than Ibe Kachikwu.

Even Utomi knows you are deceiving yourslf.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by vedaxcool(m): 5:06pm On Apr 02, 2016
He wants PMB to work wonders when gej ensured division persist despite dire warnings. Obama said last month one of his regrets is that division persist in America despite all his efforts in the nation. pa utomi would have us believe obama did nothing while even a fool can see that racism prevented the republicans from coming to terms with his electoral victory that is why they kept obstructing his way and sowing division continuously. The same tribalism and arrogance have pushed people like utomi from providing credible support except lamentations and others like cownu outright muderous hateful tribalism to entrench division. Nigeria will surmount this nay sayers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by OneNaira6: 5:08pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
e dey pain you.

Lol, so in your mind Utomi is wealthier and more fulfilled than Ibe Kachikwu.

Even Utomi knows you are deceiving yourslf.

See am...just see am. No wonder your ministers are crumbling that useless country to the ground. So na how much money someone has is how your buhari choose his "saints". Oya just look at yourself....your parents must be proud of your stupidity.

Oh btw: utomi is well known and more respected in anioma land than kachikwu. At least utomi is smart enough to know not be used by a Dullard like buhari.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by fulanimafia: 5:09pm On Apr 02, 2016
The stark truth remains that the SE excluded itself through the myopic campaign of bigotry and hatred, which ensured their political marginalization in the aftermath of the elections.

I remember all the warnings on NL at the time, now that the hatred that was sown is being reaped in full measure, they're trying to make it seem like PMB's fault.

The ironic thing is that they're still screaming almajiri, slave everywhere instead of building the bridges that would ensure they reclaim their relevance in national politics.

The least that can be done is to allow them wail if they stubbornly refuse to make amends.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 02, 2016
Utomi has been spewing rubbish because Buhari ignored him as a minister. Bloody thief

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 02, 2016
Breakingtimes lies. we never get to see videos of these speeches
Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by mars123(m): 5:16pm On Apr 02, 2016
I bet you if this man was made minister, everything will still be the same. Nothing dey change. He is obviously among dem noise makers.
The worse is still ben bruce. That one will be wailing about change and chain on twitter when he is actually a member of the government of the day with the legislative arm. I mean the most immoral and corrupt arm of government...shi!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by DIKEnaWAR: 5:23pm On Apr 02, 2016
Is he trying to sound intelligent or what? Where was his intelligence when he allowed Buhari, a Military jackboot, to deceive a man of supposed great intellect like him?

Methinks he voted and campaigned for Buhari to be allowed to sit on the table and share. Now that it has not worked; he is telling us what he knew all these while.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by DIKEnaWAR: 5:28pm On Apr 02, 2016
fulanimafia:
The stark truth remains that the SE excluded itself through the myopic campaign of bigotry and hatred, which ensured their political marginalization in the aftermath of the elections.

I remember all the warnings on NL at the time, now that the hatred that was sown is being reaped in full measure, they're trying to make it seem like PMB's fault.

The ironic thing is that they're still screaming almajiri, slave everywhere instead of building the bridges that would ensure they reclaim their relevance in national politics.

The least that can be done is to allow them wail if they stubbornly refuse to make amends.

By supporting Buhari?

Christ's sake why are some of you so daft to the point of irritation?! SE has maintained that Buhari is not their choice and they won't support him. Is that too difficult for you to comprehend? Those in the SE that are crying marginalisation in Nigeria want out of the country via Biafra.

Know it that there are two gorups of Ndigbo and both don't want Buhari:

1. Those that believe in one Nigeria, but are of the opinion that Buhari is not qualified to be President of Nigeria.

2. Those that feel marginalised in Nigeria and want Biafra.

Learn, relearn and get wise. It beats common sense that you are still in support of a government that tottered to a halt months after taking office.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by fulanimafia: 5:43pm On Apr 02, 2016
DIKEnaWAR:

By supporting Buhari?

Christ's sake why are some of you so daft to the point of irritation?! SE has maintained that Buhari is not their choice and they won't support him. Is that too difficult for you to comprehend? Those in the SE that are crying marginalisation in Nigeria want out of the country via Biafra.

Know it that there are two gorups of Ndigbo and both don't want Buhari:

1. Those that believe in one Nigeria, but are of the opinion that Buhari is not qualified to be President of Nigeria.

2. Those that feel marginalised in Nigeria and want Biafra.

Learn, relearn and get wise. It beats common sense that you are still in support of a government that tottered to a halt months after taking office.

First of all, those two groups are one and the same because those who think he is not qualified mostly base it on ethno religious and political sentiments (the bulk of ibos, which you failed to classify), and those who feel marginalized are victims of their own myopic politics.

Secondly, how do you reconcile the twin facts that the same people that campaigned for Jonathan to continue to rule a united Nigeria till 2019 suddenly wanted to secede and form their own republic after the election?

Let me tell you something my friend, the truth is bitter and the fact is whatever challenges this govt is facing was either inherited from the maladministration in the past, or like oil prices, are a result of circumstances beyond its control.

You have said the ibos have made their choice known, so we are also making it known to them that they should learn to live with their choices and stop acting like spoilt toddlers who had their toy taken away.

P.S you did not have to result to insults to make your point, it presents you as being weak minded.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by woodboi(m): 5:46pm On Apr 02, 2016
Sunday Oliseh of Nigeria politics... always analysing no action.
Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by ibietela2(m): 5:48pm On Apr 02, 2016
Why not? When you travel to a foreign country and start talking about 97% and 5% theory

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by OneNaira6: 5:50pm On Apr 02, 2016
fulanimafia:

Pat utomi is Anioma you dumb@ss, not SE.

I support SE not joining una backwagon. Under a year buhari have destroyed every growth GEJ worked hard to get. Even foreigners mock the dullard. Under him, there's been more corruption than any other administration

Under the fool the economy is completely dead, investors running away, naira failing, power failimg, food decreaing, water no dey, should I continue.

It was a smart choice on those that made sure not to vote for that illiterate.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by elrony(m): 5:52pm On Apr 02, 2016
Some Monikers can never try to reason above their cognition sha cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by drss(m): 5:58pm On Apr 02, 2016
CACAWA:
Hungry man

u need deliverance from zombeism.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by fulanimafia: 5:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
OneNaira6:

[s]Pat utomi is Anioma you dumb@ss, not SE.

I support SE not joining una backwagon. Under a year buhari have destroyed every growth GEJ worked hard to get. Even foreigners mock the dullard. Under him, there's been more corruption than any other administration

Under the fool the economy is completely dead, investors running away, naira failing, power failimg, food decreaing, water no dey, should I continue.

It was a smart choice on those that made sure not to vote for that illiterate. [/s]

So it was Anio that Utomi was suggesting was being marginalized and not the SE? I'm sure you can now go and find a mirror to see the 'dumbass_ ' you were talking about.

Listen, we are quite happy that you're happy with your choices, now live with it and quit wailing.
Re: Nigeria More Divided Under Buhari Than Under Jonathan – Pat Utomi by Nelkoko: 6:02pm On Apr 02, 2016
Ok

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Shameless Act Of Ikwerre Fathers Towards Igbos / What Abakaliki Mall Will Look Like. (3D Pictures) / Osibanjo said he was not excluded from Security meeting (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.