Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,090 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today (38652 Views)

Major Mistake Made By Christians / Putting God First: Modern-Day Idolatry Among Christians Today / 12 Signs Of Self-righteousness And Pharisee-ism Among Christians Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by sunshine1974(m): 1:04pm On Apr 03, 2016
princeSammyz:
Ignored sins? I think using cracked softwares, games and free browsing cheats should have made d list. and maybe nairalanding from church too. lol
I will buy u beer for dis one.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by postmann: 1:09pm On Apr 03, 2016
Dklef:

Thank you for your responce, "No priest or pastor can enforce it. It is strictly between you and God"

Thus my second question, "Why do Pastors lay a greater emphasis on tithing more than every other biblical texts"

because if its really between i and my God, then i see no reason why you should start judging or questioning my faithfulnes to my creator with sometime that's none of your business in the first place.

I do not 'refuse' to pay tithe, i simply do not have enough sometimes, to give.
And if truely, God is the almaighty who is got everything; including riches in his hands, why do you thinks its wise for me to give the little i have to Someone who's got it all?

Tithes are not voluntary offerings, so you can't say "you don't have enough to give". You either have or you don't have. Whatever your hands have worked to earn wages, 10% of it belongs to GOD.

That tithe is for GOD and it belongs to the pastors and the priests who are GOD's representative in the church.

It is their portion. Num 18:21 and several other passages attest to it. Tithe generation is supposed to be what the church uses to run its operational cost, up keep of workers, etc.

A greedy priest who is out for money can not be a reason not to pay tithe. It is between him and GOD. Yours is to fulfill your part and turn aside from how it was spent or used. Pastors can preach about tithes, it's part of your salvation. Though the genuine ones don't stress about it.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Elxandre(m): 1:13pm On Apr 03, 2016
postmann:

Make me sef quote you!

Tithing is of GOD. It is HIS requirement. It is well supported in the new testament.

No priest or pastor can enforce it. It is strictly between you and GOD.

Do christians who refuse to pay tithes committing sin? A big YES!!!
Where is it well supported in the new testament?
Why is there no record of any of the apostles paying tithes?
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by BossTtdiamonds(m): 1:18pm On Apr 03, 2016
ButterFlyEffect:
Nice post and so true

I love your eyes... They are beautiful.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by postmann: 1:30pm On Apr 03, 2016
Elxandre:

Where is it well supported in the new testament?
Why is there no record of any of the apostles paying tithes?

Matthew 23:23 is the best example of the new testament. Notice how CHRIST ended that verse "without neglecting the rest"

Even the Pharisees paid tithe. That there was no record of the appostles paying tithe doesn't prove or disprove anything.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Christeety: 1:35pm On Apr 03, 2016
datola:
Coveting is so rampant among we Christians. The height of it is when a church is coveting other church's members in the name of evangelism. We are to reach out to sinners and lead them to Christ.

"But covet earnestly the best gift: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way" 1 Cor.12:31

God bless you for this post.

I seriously don't understand why churches compete against each other. If all Christians agree to serve the Living God (Jehovah, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit) why should denomination matter?

Why can't one wake up one Sunday morning and decide to go to Catholic, the next Sunday, Celestial Church of Christ, another Sunday MFM?
What's d big deal about denomination?
In my own opinion, discrimination among church brings strife, hatred and d likes. You see people judging each other already...as if church denomination is a criteria for making Heaven.

1 Like

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by adeoyun(m): 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2016
Annunaki:
6. Twisting scriptures
There are several false doctrines being peddled around the church today which partly accounts for the proliferation of churches. A very good example of a false doctrine derived from twisting scriptures is the tithe doctrine which is very popular in our churches today yet the bible makes it clear that it is a sin to add to or take away from scriptures.
isn't tithe in the bible
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2016
BossTtdiamonds:

I love your eyes... They are beautiful.

Thank You
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 1:44pm On Apr 03, 2016
Damtha:
Not true for the 5%
Who cares about ya opinion?
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Elxandre(m): 1:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
postmann:

Matthew 23:23 is the best example of the new testament. Notice how CHRIST ended that verse "without neglecting the rest"

Even the Pharisees paid tithe. That there was no record of the appostles paying tithe doesn't prove or disprove anything.
Tithe was mentioned once in the new testament!

It was supposed to be deducted from farm produce, hence no mention of financial payment of tithes.

Did any of the famous men of old who owned animals pay ten percent of their livestock as tithes?

Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 03, 2016
asalimpo:

This is sad.

How will he be preaching against fornication now or co-habiting?
embarassed sad
Lol as in ehn, Hypocrites everywhere.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by postmann: 1:55pm On Apr 03, 2016
Elxandre:

Tithe was mentioned once in the new testament!

It was supposed to be deducted from farm produce, hence no mention of financial payment of tithes.

Did any of the famous men of old who owned animals pay ten percent of their livestock as tithes?

LOL

Let's not argue. Tithe was mentioned repeatedly in the new testament.Hebrews 7:1-3, Luke 18:12,.

If you're a christian, the words of CHRIST in Matthew 23:23 ought to be enough for you.

Abraham is the first man ever to have paid tithe.

It's a monetary world now. Farmers aren't much. Most people are salary earners. The only way for most people to pay tithe is by cash.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by skurujajaja(m): 2:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you must be a pastor.....so some people can actually quote old testament when it comes to tithe ,but when it pertains to other discussions like an arm for an arm and marrying more than one wives ,some will say that was before Jesus come.....a good lot of christains quote the bible to soothe themselves

The kingdom of God no be by force o, its choice u either choose to believe or not to. Note the owl goal is to make paradise.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by hashtagg(m): 2:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
Olusanya333:
Dudes quoting Paul, Peter and James as scriptures, you all still get a long way to go.

How do you mean Sir, like to know please..
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Originalsly: 2:55pm On Apr 03, 2016
asalimpo:

Tithe is God's stake in your increase. It's God's. Besides, if it were really to help the poor anti-tithers are clamouring about (which isnt), the issue wouldnt be about how much to pay or not pay but how to channel th e funds. This isnt the case. Yes, paying the tithe signifies belief in God to provide for your financially, because when you release the tithe (and offering), inspite of it being a chunk of your earnings, you believe
that the One who gave you the increase from which the tithe (and offering came from) will/can continue to give your more increasse to meet your daily needs. You believe that He will sustain you on the left over ,after the tithe and offering have been deducted. It takes faith to live like this.
Is this what your pastor fed you?....or is this what you are feeding your followers? Tithes belong to God..... are you or your pastor god?... because it's the pastor that collects the cash....and decides how to squander spend it.....is he god?....and why is tithes always about cash?...did you ever ask or was asked to turn in a tenth of your catfish?...or chicken?...or yams?... or your harvest? .. or invite the poor to partake? ..... aren't these not part of the directive on tithes?....or those pages from your Bible missing? Abeg...enlighten me....and don't pretend you didn't read this....nor give me the worn out cover all answer like this is spiritual matter which I not spiritual enough to understand.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Princewell2012(m): 3:27pm On Apr 03, 2016
DharmyYinks:

Tithe is not a twist of the scripture! If u read d Book of Numbers, u'll know that 10% is a little thing compared to the offerings d Israelites give on "fixed" times.

Change ur notion towards tithing... It's only a foolish person who will not give back to God

I totally disagreed with you.

God gave out eeverything he has, his only begotten son, for a sacrifice.

Abraham is about to do the same before God stops him.

I for one, has also given out my first whole salary before.

God is not interested about our 10 percent,

there are so many ways we can give to God.

Lots of people have given more that 10 percent, do you know how much i have been given to support the building of the church which my ten percent can never be able to achieved

tithe paying does not belong to the Christians,

today the church has Holyspirt, who will always remember us to give, every bornagain knows when to give and what to give and who to give, because of the presence of the Holyspirt in them.

Or can you tell me any of the disciple of Jesus that pays tithe
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 03, 2016
Annunaki:
6. Twisting scriptures
There are several false doctrines being peddled around the church today which partly accounts for the proliferation of churches. A very good example of a false doctrine derived from twisting scriptures is the tithe doctrine which is very popular in our churches today yet the bible makes it clear that it is a sin to add to or take away from scriptures.

SORRY I DONT AGREE WITH YOU. YOU LACK KNOWLEDGE OF THE WORD OF GOD THEN.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Princewell2012(m): 3:43pm On Apr 03, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you must be a pastor.....so some people can actually quote old testament when it comes to tithe ,but when it pertains to other discussions like an arm for an arm and marrying more than one wives ,some will say that was before Jesus come.....a good lot of christains quote the bible to soothe themselves

God bless you so much.
Thank you.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Ijeoma660(f): 3:45pm On Apr 03, 2016
DharmyYinks:

Thanks! Nice hair!!

Thou shalt not covet her hair...lol
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by fxx2: 4:31pm On Apr 03, 2016
but come to think of it, what can you give to God?
Besides, he demands of us more than just a material TITHE. And remember, we are people of the NEW TESTAMENT, not of old.

DharmyYinks:

Tithe is not a twist of the scripture! If u read d Book of Numbers, u'll know that 10% is a little thing compared to the offerings d Israelites give on "fixed" times.

Change ur notion towards tithing... It's only a foolish person who will not give back to God
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by asalimpo(m): 4:36pm On Apr 03, 2016
Originalsly:
Is this what your pastor fed you?....or is this what you are feeding your followers? Tithes belong to God..... are you or your pastor god?... because it's the pastor that collects the cash....and decides how to squander spend it.....is he god?....and why is tithes always about cash?...did you ever ask or was asked to turn in a tenth of your catfish?...or chicken?...or yams?... or your harvest? .. or invite the poor to partake? ..... aren't these not part of the directive on tithes?....or those pages from your Bible missing? Abeg...enlighten me....and don't pretend you didn't read this....nor give me the worn out cover all answer like this is spiritual matter which I not spiritual enough to understand.
When you give offering , do you pay it into the hands of God?
Oh! or you don't give offering , or maybe its old testament and has passed away.

How about when you unite couples in Holy matrimony, does God come down to join them?
Do they make their vows before the visible presence of God?
Or except God comes down to join them together, they're not married

When you have a bumper harvest, you can take the 1,000 tubers of yams or the 100 basket of tomatoes
directly to the alter ? you hear. It will be more convenient holding the up the church service, while
your labourers struggle to pile them all up at the alter.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by mirrael6: 4:50pm On Apr 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
If I am saved, why do I still sin? Why do I have
such a problem with sin while I am here on
earth? Why am I still troubled with impure
thoughts? Why do I sometimes do what I know
is wrong? Why do I sometimes fail to do what I
know is right? Why do I continue to battle with
temptations? Why do I sometimes live and act
like an unsaved person (see 1 Cor. 3:3), even
though it grieves me and saddens me when I
live this way? In 2 cor 5:17 it say the believers has a NEW NATURE. Now that I have a new nature, what has happened to my old sinful nature? Did it disappear? Was it transformed from something evil to something good? Was it totally removed? Was it partially removed? If the believer says that he has no sin (no sin
nature), is he telling the truth or is he deceiving
himself ? Bible say in 1 john 1:8-10

8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive
ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we
confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will
forgive us our sins and purify us from all
unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not
sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his
word is not in us.

The old sinful nature has not been eradicated
or removed. It is still present with the believer.
James 3:2 refers to believers and it says, "For in many things we offend all" or literally "For in
many things we all offend." The word "offend"
means that we all stumble, fall short, and go
astray. We all fail and fall. Even as believers we all have sinned. We all offend, and therefore we all are in desperate need of the mercy and grace of God and in desperate need of His forgiveness and cleansing. In 1 peter 5:8 the bible say BEWERE. If you are save and the sinful nature is removed completely, WHY BEWERE ?

Paul, as a saved man, made the following
amazing statements:

Romans 7:14-25
14 We know that the law is spiritual; but I am
unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. 15 I do not
understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[ c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[ d] a slave to the law of sin.

A save man has TWO nature, Good and bad, the one you feed the most will dominate your life.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by ilevic(m): 5:14pm On Apr 03, 2016
malvisguy212:
live this way? In 2 cor 5:17 it say the believers has a NEW NATURE. Now that I have a new nature, what has happened to my old sinful nature? Did it disappear? Was it transformed from something evil to something good? Was it totally removed? Was it partially removed? If the believer says that he has no sin (no sin

word is not in us.

James 3:2 refers to believers and it says, "For in many things we offend all" or literally "For in
astray. We all fail and fall. Even as believers we all have sinned. We all offend, and therefore we all are in desperate need of the mercy and grace of God and in desperate need of His forgiveness and cleansing. In 1 peter 5:8 the bible say BEWERE. If you are save and the sinful nature is removed completely, WHY BEWERE ?

amazing statements:

understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[ c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. 21 So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22 For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23 but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24 What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25 Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature[ d] a slave to the law of sin.

A save man has TWO nature, Good and bad, the one you feed the most will dominate your life.

God bless u for this but I am not personally comfortable with this as I appears as of as Christians, we av a ual nature. the nature of God that bounds us with God and the nature that give us chance to sin. I will like to refer u to read 1John 3:1-10. particularly Verses 6-10. Peace be unto u.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by ilevic(m): 5:18pm On Apr 03, 2016
malvisguy212:

word is not in us.

amazing statements:

God bless u for this but I am not personally comfortable with this as I appears as of as Christians, we av a ual nature. the nature of God that bounds us with God and the nature that give us chance to sin. I will like to refer u to read 1John 3:1-10. particularly Verses 6-10.
NIV:See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
NIV:Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
NIV:All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.
NIV:Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
NIV:But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
NIV:No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
NIV:Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
NIV:The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
NIV:No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

Peace be unto u.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by malvisguy212: 7:08pm On Apr 03, 2016
ilevic:

God bless u for this but I am not personally comfortable with this as I appears as of as Christians, we av a ual nature. the nature of God that bounds us with God and the nature that give us chance to sin. I will like to refer u to read 1John 3:1-10. particularly Verses 6-10.
NIV:See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
NIV:Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.
NIV:All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.
NIV:Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.
NIV:But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.
NIV:No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
NIV:Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.
NIV:The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.
NIV:No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

Peace be unto u.
The unsave man has ONE nature,How is the heart of man
described in Jeremiah 17:9? Wicked and deceitful. When a person is save, he receive NEW nature.
1 Peter 1:4
4 Through these he has given us his
very great and precious promises, so that
through them you may participate in the DIVINE NATURE, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

Have you ever ask yourself, Why is it whenever a man give his life to christ, that is when temptation increase ? Because The old nature is incorrigible. It will not change. In fact, when you are saved the old nature will seem even worse! It is desperately wicked and it remains so. It will never become less wicked
than it now is. "That which is born of the flesh is flesh" (John 3:6). Flesh is flesh and it will not
change to become something else. Man's sinful flesh will always produce the works of the flesh (Galatians 5:19-21). Man's sinful flesh will never produce the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) Only God can do that. I wish mankind realize the important of christ death.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by kurlz(f): 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2016
Festivalofholi:
Op you miss the most common one- fornication. 95% of christains fornicate. While the other 5% can't find who to bleep.

It's a lie!
that percentage is wrong beds,
there are one thousand and one people out there ready to give it to you even more than you can imagine, some people(Christians) they just chose to abstain.

NB: I'm speaking from experience.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 8:11pm On Apr 03, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you must be a pastor.....giving to the needy is better
lol.. Am not a Pastor.

"Giving" generally is a gud thing. And giving includes giving to d needy nd also giving back to God.. tru tithe!
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by SweetieConstie(f): 8:16pm On Apr 03, 2016
DharmyYinks:

lol.. Am not a Pastor.

"Giving" generally is a gud thing. And giving includes giving to d needy nd also giving back to God.. tru tithe!
So true!
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 8:16pm On Apr 03, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
you must be a pastor.....so some people can actually quote old testament when it comes to tithe ,but when it pertains to other discussions like an arm for an arm and marrying more than one wives ,some will say that was before Jesus come.....a good lot of christains quote the Bible to soothe themselves
U made a mistake! An arm for an arm,eye for an eye,blood for blood etc all dos are 'd Law of Moses'.

God Himself made it known dat tithing is proper.

Wich verse of d Bible stated dat marrying more dan one wife is allowed??
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2016
ceejay80s:

In this our present time, when has God come down from heaven to collect the tithe ?
Continue trecking and pastors will be buying jets and building universities even ur children can't afford to attend
Lol... U guys theories are hilarious!

When u pray to God, Does He come down to grant u ur requests??

D reason u see most Pastor's with jets nd co is because they are "cheerful givers".

Give nd u shall received!
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by Nobody: 8:30pm On Apr 03, 2016
kurlz:

It's a lie!
that percentage is wrong beds,
there are one thousand and one people out there ready to give it to you even more than you can imagine, some people(Christians) they just chose to abstain.

NB: I'm speaking from experience.
You must be among the 5%.
Re: 5 Sins Often Ignored By Christians Today by DharmyYinks: 8:35pm On Apr 03, 2016
tunjijones:

The percentage given in the book of numbers is called tax.... So wld u pay tax to Nigerian government and still pay tax to the pastor? This is called double taxation.
My brother go nd read ur Bible nd pray for Grace to understand. Only then can u realize u re wrong.

If u think d Book of Numbers is all abt percentage... sorry for u. All d burnt offerings,sin offerings,peace offerings,wave offerings etc dat is being made with oxens,bullocks,goats etc. Is it God that comes down to eat it?? No!!! The Priests take out of it nd God wil accept d offering.

Same way it is with tithes. Dnt get confused bro.

And how many Nigerians pay tax out of 180million pple. I can assure u dat not more dan 40% pay tax. And Christ also paid tax in dat.. Give to Caesar wat belongs to Caesar .

May the Lord enlighten you. Amen!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pastor Tunde Bakare's Daughter Wedding In London Today / See Throwback Photo Of Pastor Chris Oyakhilome And His Daughters / Pastor Adeboye Opens RCCG New Central Office In Uk(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.